Talk

Advanced search

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email insight@mumsnet.com.

Ask HiPP Organic’s expert about weaning - £150 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(168 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Nov-17 10:29:03

Having a baby can often be challenging, and weaning your baby is one of many confusing but rewarding parenting milestones. HiPP Organic would like you to ask their expert, Helen Gardiner - your questions about weaning.

Some more information on Helen below:

“Helen is a registered nutritionist and dietician who has worked with HiPP for nearly 19 years advising on a wide range of issues related to infant and child nutrition. She provides support and advice to parents, carers and other healthcare professionals through HiPP customer services and their social media and websites.”

So, ask Helen your questions about weaning by posting them below by 13th November. We’ll then choose 20 questions for her to answer and post her responses as soon as possible. All who leave a question below (regardless of whether it’s chosen or not) will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

NeverTwerkNaked Wed 01-Nov-17 22:08:57

What’s the latest position on weaning and allergies. My eldest two both have several severe food allergies and I feel like the advice on how to approach weaning keeps changing!

haveagobletofblood Thu 02-Nov-17 10:00:08

I've started my DS age 24 weeks on purée. When is best to move onto lumpier foods?

Orlofina Thu 02-Nov-17 10:23:45

My 6.5 month old has had terrible night-time wind, waking in pain, since we started weaning a month ago. She has one small meal a day, fruit & veg, mix of purées and BLW.

Is this normal?! Any suggestions on how to approach solids as am starting to dread lunchtime. DC loves their food but I’m desperate for them to sleep pain-free!

krisskross Thu 02-Nov-17 10:28:00

Ive just started weaning DS and put some cows milk into his porridge for a couple of days. That night and for a few after he woke screaming, apparently in pain and arching his back and seemed to have a very runny nose.

Could this be a cows milk allergy? What should we do? Thanks

Ttbb Thu 02-Nov-17 10:29:06

My nearly two year old DS still prefers breast milk to other drinks. How can I discourage him from drinking breast milk during the day?

wwwwwwwwwwwwww Thu 02-Nov-17 10:38:44

When should a baby stop having purée?

Thesqueezermustghost Thu 02-Nov-17 10:48:12

When will governments put their muscle behind WHO recommendations on formula milks?

Hatstand Thu 02-Nov-17 10:55:56

I'd like to know about allergies too. I've heard a lot of conflicting advice.

TellMeItsNotTrue Thu 02-Nov-17 11:02:35

I've read that you should avoid certain foods to prevent allergy in future, but I've also read that introducing them early can help prevent allergy, I'm confused as to what to do for the best, what is the most up to date opinion about this?

kateandme Thu 02-Nov-17 11:07:17

is there a point you need to persist even if at firs tthey are resiting or fearful of the change.is there always due to be trauma at the beginning of weaning or should it be seemless.when do you know you've gone too far or too soon.or even not soon enough.or tried hard enough.

NerrSnerr Thu 02-Nov-17 11:18:32

Our 7 month old is just not interested in food so is having a couple of spoonfuls once a day. Should I be pushing him to have more?

troodiedoo Thu 02-Nov-17 11:36:42

My seven month old has been having purees since 5 months. She won't tolerate any lumps or texture though. Should I wait another month or so before trying lumps again, or offer at regular intervals till she gets used to them?

sharond101 Thu 02-Nov-17 12:49:52

Should you weren't really of your baby has reflux?

Wishingandwaiting Thu 02-Nov-17 12:51:42

Would you say best to avoid dried fruit?

asuwere Thu 02-Nov-17 13:19:00

Nutritionally, is there any real difference to home made purees and shop bought organic stuff (like hipp)?

Xalonera Thu 02-Nov-17 13:29:39

I have a very windy baby... Are there any particular foods to avoid or delay when it comes to weaning in order to reduce discomfort?

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 02-Nov-17 16:49:02

Are there any foods that definitely should be avoided during weaning / those first few months of moving onto food?

ErinSophia Thu 02-Nov-17 18:16:03

What are the best foods to give my baby while I am weaning her ?

london123987 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:10:08

My daughter refuses to take anything from a spoon so we’ve had to go baby-led. I’m worried about her not having enough of the right nutrients as by the time she’s played with her food, I’ve got no idea what’s actually gone in. Do you have any tips on how to check she’s got everything she needs and should I be giving her vitamins?

Sleepysausage Thu 02-Nov-17 19:35:33

Is the saying 'food is for fun before they turn one's true?

lovewatchingrainfall Thu 02-Nov-17 20:17:40

How can I get my 10month old to eat 3 meals. She has a really early bedtime which can’t change.
I also find if she eats any food after 3pm she has an awful nights sleep. Help

Kion Thu 02-Nov-17 20:18:47

The portion sizes of baby food packs seem an awful lot for my little one. She is 9 months old.
We tend to open and divide each pack into two to three meals over 24 hours, stored in the fridge. Can you tell me is one pack intended to be one meal for a baby?
If so, this worries me as we are lucky if my daughter finishes about 5-6 teaspoons per meal!

PugwallsSummer Thu 02-Nov-17 21:34:51

DD10 is now eating 3 proper meals plus snacks per day. She is starting to reject formula and isn’t getting the recommended pint per day - more like 350-400ml. She will drink water and is eating fruit/veg, carbs and protein with each meal as well as yoghurt and cheese as snacks. Should I be concerned?

del2929 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:24:37

my 16 month old was a good eater up until her Open heart surgery. its been 8 weeks since surgery and she isnt back to her usual eating habits yet. id like to know what advice you could give in terms of how to encourage her to eat again as she did pre op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now