Talk

Advanced search

Ask Dr. Pixie McKenna your Q about children's health in winter and you could win a £150 Love2Shop voucher! ANSWERS NOW BACK

(199 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Nov-16 09:39:03

As we head into the colder months, sniffles and sneezes may become more common. Courtesy of Nurofen for Children, we’ve teamed up with Dr. Pixie McKenna who is on hand to answer your questions on keeping your children healthy this winter, specifically looking at colds and flu, fever and sleep difficulties. As well as being a medical expert, Pixie is also a mother so she’s had first-hand experience of looking after her own child and is here to share her top tips and advice with you.

Here’s a little bit more about Dr. Pixie:

Pixie comes from a family background of medicine, being the third generation of doctors in her family. She has over 13 years of medical experience since qualifying and is currently a practising GP at London’s Harley Street.

Post your questions to Dr. Pixie by the 27th November and we will pick 20 for her to respond to. Everyone who posts a question will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky Mumsnetter will win a £150 Love2Shop voucher. A link to her responses will be posted by 4 January.

Please note, Dr. Pixie is here to give advice but cannot mention, discuss or endorse any brands or products.

This Q&A is sponsored by Nurofen for Children. Nurofen for Children 3 months- 9 years. Contains Ibuprofen. Always Read the label

UK/NfC/1016/0053

Thanks,

MNHQ.

T&Cs
Comments on all threads in the Insight Talk topic 'Product tests and surveys' (which amongst others include product tests, event days, surveys, sponsored threads, private threads) may be used in further marketing material by the client who sponsors the thread(s). Please only post if you’re happy with this.
To enter the prize draw for this thread, you must be:
(a) A UK resident; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry and (c) a registered member of Mumsnet.
~ The prize draw is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Mumsnet or anyone promoting this competition.
~ All entries must be by posting on the thread/completing the survey
~ No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason.
~ The winner will be chosen at random from all those entrants who have filled in their details.
~ Only one entry per person.
~ If you win, we will notify you by Private message on Mumsnet or email
~ If we do not get a response to the PM/email within two weeks, the prize will be offered to a runner-up.
~ If the runner up does not respond or is unable to accept the prize it will then be offered to another runner up, and so on.
~ Our decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
~ You can find out who has won a particular competition by looking at our Winners' Corner.
~ The prize is not exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
~ If, for any reason, an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
~ Your details will be collected via encrypted data solely for the purposes of this prize draw and deleted once the winner/s have been notified.
~ As we say in our privacy policy, we will not pass on your details to a third party without your consent.

EstelleRoberts Tue 22-Nov-16 09:43:17

Lapin we are really restricted too. It's so frustrating, and frankly unhealthy for all concerned to never go anywhere other than on foot. But the suffering is so bad I won't put my DD through it unless it's really necessary. I have found Piriton helps, but it makes my DD really drowsy for 3-4 hours. So no good at all for short journeys. If we wanted to take her to the zoo she would just sleep all the way round and not see anything.

Anononoo Tue 22-Nov-16 10:10:20

My DC refuse to wear coats. Is there really any association between being underdressed and getting ill?

ThomasRichard Tue 22-Nov-16 10:16:02

Do vitamin supplements and macrobiotic drinks actually make any difference in boosting a child's immune system?

Badders123 Tue 22-Nov-16 10:27:47

My 8 year old ds has never had chickenpox (or if he has it has been sub clinical)
He was very poorly last year with primary herpatic gingivostomatitis
Would it be a good idea to get him vaccinated against chicken pox?

DinosaursRoar Tue 22-Nov-16 10:33:06

What can be done to help children who have constaintly snotty dripping noses at this time of year - my DC2 seems to always be sore under her nose from constaint wiping. sad

Re car sickness, my eldest is still bad on more than about 10 minutes in the car. He got better after going forward facing, so if you are still rear facing, stop that - making sure he could look out of the front window was good and keeping him cool, fresh air - not air con (so windows open in the rain and snow unfortunately!), no coat on, a bottle of water for him to sip and just accept long journeys will need several stops for him to walk around and calm his stomach back down. He's oddly fine on planes and trains, so we tend to avoid holidays that involve driving very far and can get to Gatwick in under an hour, which is about his limit in the car.

I also had bad car sickness as a child, which only got better when I moved into the front of the car - sorry this is a long term problem - I still get ill on ferries if I'm not outdoors in the fresh air! (And did do a crossing to france in the snow outside to avoid chundering)

Gaybiesftw Tue 22-Nov-16 11:11:37

How can you stop little ones from passing colds between them?

LapinR0se Tue 22-Nov-16 11:19:02

estelle I am in Switzerland and just spoke to the paediatrician on the phone and she has recommended a thing called Itinerol B6. It's a suppository that you give 30 mins before the journey and it is anti-emetic. It's available over the counter so I will give it a go and see!

Would love Pixie'a advice too please, Pixie I love your kind no nonsense approach on EB

deplorabelle Tue 22-Nov-16 11:39:05

Is there anywhere I can get flu vaccination for my 11yo? He has very mild asthma and doesn't currently take inhaled steroids so not eligible on the nhs. My younger son is eligible on nhs but last year our GP surgery admin broke down and he did not receive an appointment (I couldn't make one until the letter came confirming eligibility. It didn't)

I'd like to know about motion sickness too

mouldycheesefan Tue 22-Nov-16 12:35:36

How do you break the cough and cold cycle of it going constantly round the fsmily? Is there anything that can be done to boost immunity at this time of year to help ward them off as once one fsmily member has it, the other shall get it too!
Thanks

starlight36 Tue 22-Nov-16 13:26:11

Another cough question? How long would you expect a 4 year old child to have a hacking cough before you would want to see them. Our pharmacist recommended some glucose syrup to ease my son's thrust but suggested after two days we should be going to the doctor. He has had the cough for over two weeks - it is generally worse at night but he has no temperature and his chest doesn't sound too wheezy.

mikado1 Tue 22-Nov-16 13:36:03

Can swimming increase ear infections? Is there anything that helps prevent them?

FranksBobot Tue 22-Nov-16 14:05:59

My 1 year old is a belly sleeper and has been since she could roll over. This causes huge sleep disturbance when she has a cold as the usual tricks of raising the mattress etc make no difference to her. She will not stay on her back no matter what we try. Do you have any tips to make it easier for her to breath / sleep with a blocked nose and cough?

Carriemac Tue 22-Nov-16 14:32:48

What do you think of supplements in general for kids who are not picky eaters? Are they worth it?

bigmeff Tue 22-Nov-16 15:04:24

My 7 year old DS is disabled with a rare gene mutation. He can walk but short distances with a gait.
He has a verruca which is making the gait worse. One pharmacist tells me to treat it and the next says don't ... Their immunity will sort it out???

What should we do? We don't want to cause him any extra discomfort because he's nonverbal and can't communicate the pain!

glitterandtinsel Tue 22-Nov-16 17:06:18

My son looks so pale and panda eyes in winter. Should I give him vitamins and minerals or vitamins or don't bother?

PseudoBadger Tue 22-Nov-16 19:11:03

Coughs go to my DD's (age 3) chest - is this likely to carry on throughout her childhood?

PseudoBadger Tue 22-Nov-16 19:11:16

*colds!

Mamatallica Tue 22-Nov-16 19:37:36

I'd love some advice on dealing with reflux please, my baby is 14 weeks and I hate seeing him in pain.
He's taking infant gaviscon and I've propped his Moses basket up at one end on books but he's still struggling and spitting up white cheesy stuff that smells of vomit.

lozengeoflove Tue 22-Nov-16 19:51:54

What, if any, is the link between teething and colds? My seven month old gets runny nose, streaming eyes and coughs whenever he's cutting teeth. His sleep and mine is disturbed and he just looks unwell.
Is it just a coincide or do colds and teething go hand in hand?

bettycat81 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:52:23

Do Saline nasal sprays help prevent colds?

GeekyWombat Tue 22-Nov-16 21:02:45

My six month old has had a cough for over a month, which the GP has diagnosed as bronchiolitis. I know there's no antibiotics or anything that can be prescribed to help it unless it's really full-on (and I'm very thankful that it's not that full on - his cough is nasty and crackly but it's not like we're having to take him to hospital for oxygen or anything). But what - if anything - can I do to help him shift it and feel more comfortable of a night (which is when the worst coughing fits happen)? Do you recommend the plug in vaporiser things? Is there anything else that might help? Thanks for your help.

TulipsInAJug Tue 22-Nov-16 21:41:45

My almost-four year old has had a cough for three weeks. She coughs at night time, mostly; a bit during the day but not as much. She has no other symptoms, except she looks a little pale. She's generally in good form during the day.

When should I get worried, if the cough continues?

EstelleRoberts Tue 22-Nov-16 23:36:32

Thanks Lapin, I will look into that. I hope it works for your DC.

GruffaloPants Wed 23-Nov-16 00:09:23

My 5yo used to suffer from eczema related to food allergies. She is now prone to dry, cracked skin around the edge of her lips in cold weather. What's the best way to prevent/treat this? She's prone to wiping off ointments etc!

VilootShesCute Wed 23-Nov-16 12:09:23

Should my 9 and 4 year olds get the flu vaccine?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »