Talk

Advanced search

Let's Zumba! Ask your questions of Beto, the founder of Zumba - chance to win one of ten Zumba DVDs! ANSWERS BACK.

(63 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Dec-15 17:02:02

You’ve heard of Zumba®. Now you can experience it at home with Zumba® being released on DVD and Digital Download on 7th December! To celebrate we have an exclusive Q&A with the creator of Zumba® himself, Beto Perez.

DVD available to order now here.

The team at Zumba say "Beto is the creative genius behind the Zumba® programme, the fitness formula that has revolutionised the way millions of people think of exercise. It’s fun, effective and best of all? Made for everyone! People from all around the world have joined the fat-burning dance fitness party and achieved amazing results - and now it’s your turn! In the new Zumba DVD, Beto takes you through the essential moves to get you dancing yourself into shape!

Beto began as a fitness instructor in his home city of Cali, Colombia, and upon arriving to teach class one day realised he had left his traditional aerobics music at home. In a moment of spontaneity, he unpacked his personal salsa and merengue tapes from his backpack, popped them into the sound system and taught his first Zumba® class. After a successful career as a trainer and choreographer in Colombia, Beto made the big move to the United States in search of the American Dream.

After several months, his talent and magnetism landed him a job as an instructor at a prestigious local health club. And with his catchy, easy-to-follow choreography, Beto’s class became the most popular at the gym. In 2001, his innovative style caught the attention of two entrepreneurs: Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion. Instinctively seeing enormous business potential, they wasted no time in teaming up with Beto to create Zumba Fitness, LLC".

Post your questions to Beto on this thread by 11th December and we will send 20 questions over to him for him to respond to. We will then post a link to his responses on the thread on w/c 14 December.

Everyone who submits a question will be entered into a prize draw where 10 MNers will receive a Zumba DVD!

thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

SarahMMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Jan-16 15:13:22

The answers are in! To find out Beto's responses to your questions and for your chance to win more Zumba goodies click here

Queenbean Sun 10-Jan-16 20:43:57

I received mine yesterday, thanks MNHQ flowers

Miffytastic Sun 10-Jan-16 18:43:16

Where are the answers to this please?

Cocacolaandchocolate Thu 07-Jan-16 15:53:47

Thanks queenbean. 👍😀

Queenbean Thu 07-Jan-16 14:15:51

Ann MNHQ says they're being posted this week 👍🏼

Cocacolaandchocolate Thu 07-Jan-16 10:46:53

have the DVDs been posted yet. Turns out my postie has been putting our parcels in our recycling box and not telling us

Queenbean Wed 06-Jan-16 21:03:16

When can we expect the DVD to arrive please?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Dec-15 11:52:14

Thanks for all the Qs - these have all been sent off to the folks at Zumba for Beto to answer and once they are up I will add a link to this thread (where there will be a chance to win more Zumba goodies!).

In the meantime: the winners of the DVD are

sharond101
CopperPan
Queenbean
HeadDreamer
user7755
Roundles
Cocacolaandchocolate
purplepandas
confusedandemployed
Lulabellx1

SuzCG Wed 16-Dec-15 09:27:26

I haven't plucked up the courage to try Zumba - despite my friends raving about it. It all just seems a bit too sexy and sassy for me to be doing, waving my wobbly bits around at the front of many people I don't know. Think this DVD seems a good idea - I'd be far more likely to do it in the privacy of my own home!
How would you coax me to get over my self conscious issues and take the plunge?

rupert23 Sat 12-Dec-15 14:16:41

i really like the idea of zumba but have a knee injury and have to be a bit careful so cant go running . Do you think i would be able to do Zumba or would it be too fast and too much for my knee. I have seen it at a local fete and it looked fun

GetKnitted Fri 11-Dec-15 23:33:19

Am I too late? My question would be which of the musical styles in zumba is Beto's favourite

herecomesthsun Thu 10-Dec-15 12:30:24

Any chance of a sort of mellow groove 60s/ 70s rock off-shoot?

Though the temptation to sing along would be too too tempting!

It would be such a FABULOUS start to the day, moving and grooving, in my fantasy world there would be a morning class like that every day in my street...

Miffytastic Thu 10-Dec-15 11:13:00

I like the idea of a rock offshoot, one of the best classes I've been to includes a really diverse mix of music from bhangra, to tina turner, abba, 80s hip hop and that hava nagila one. I found the instructor did much more varied routines when the music was so different.

My question is how can you increase the intensity when a class is not quite as hard as you'd like it to be?

MrsTrentReznor Wed 09-Dec-15 20:07:25

I love Zumba, but my heart is in rock music. I find some of the classes a little boring as the music is not always to my taste. Is there a rock offshoot? Could there be? Us old goths and metallers are interested in keeping fit too! Moshing burns a lot of calories...grin

perrita Wed 09-Dec-15 08:54:05

I love Zumba! And I'm so excited to hear you're releasing a DVD. I love to do Zumba videos from YouTube as I love to do it to pop songs. My question is, do you encourage instructors to make up their own dances within the Zumba choreography to pop songs?

petalsandstars Tue 08-Dec-15 18:24:26

Is zumba safe if you've had joint issues or after spd in pregnancy?

user7755 Tue 08-Dec-15 16:32:32

I love Zumba! For those of you feeling self conscious, honestly there is no need at all.

I have been to two classes, the first one the teacher was hilarious, she was not glam or anything and was very rude at times, it was like being at a hen night. The second, the woman barely smiled or spoke and just went through the motions. That said I still like the fun nature of it so would carry on going if i was well enough. My sister's Zumba instructor is a glamorous south american woman and my sister says that people feel a little intimidated by her even though she is lovely.

So, my question would be:

What are the qualities you think are important in a Zumba instructor?

Tanaqui Tue 08-Dec-15 13:28:31

I love Zumba but someone asked about how cardio it was- I do one class with an instructor from a body attack type background and it is an amazing cardio class, and one with an instructor from a dance background, which has more interesting choreography but is much less intense. I also do Zumba toning, where I am the youngest by about 20 years (and I'm 44!) but it is still a fun workout, though quite gentle. So I would say try a few till you get one you like!

PetraDelphiki Tue 08-Dec-15 11:21:57

Ooh I've got another...does it have to be so LOUD!!! Earplugs should not be a necessary part of my gym kit! Some instructors try to put energy into the class with too much volume!!!

Laska5772 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:31:20

Zumba has been around for a few years now ( i used to go to classes a few years ago and loved it, however move meant that there was no longer a class near me, so a home DVD could be good to get me back into it ) ..

But giventhat it has been around a while now, what is different on this new DVD? Have you relaunched or changed the programme and routines ? If so what are the differences?

Also do you have some 'older' people on your DVD? i.e over 40? (i'm over 50! but not ready for an older persons class! ). However, the lovely ladies with the very toned abs and revealing outfits can be a bit off-putting for us normal beings..

Cheesecakefactory Mon 07-Dec-15 14:29:32

I'mthinking of joining a Zumba class will it help me lose weight and what are the health benefits?

Lulabellx1 Mon 07-Dec-15 12:33:13

Do you think Zumba is OK for kids? If so, how old?

PetraDelphiki Mon 07-Dec-15 11:34:27

Why are so many zumba instructors incapable of staying on the right beat?

And YYYY to advanced classes with full on choreography please!

sharond101 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:32:20

Is Zumba safe in pregnancy?

Teladi Mon 07-Dec-15 11:23:17

I would also love to know about difficulty levels. Do the instructors gear it to the particular class population or is there set choreography and the classes all are the same? I have the Zumba Xbox game and also like doing routines I find on YouTube, but when I went to Zumba at my gym, all the other women there were 50+ (I am 30 and fit-ish) and the class was a lot more sedate than what I'd already tried.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »