Talk

Advanced search

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email insight@mumsnet.com.

Ask Pampers baby yoga expert Sam Petter your questions about baby yoga and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher ANSWERS NOW ON THREAD

(78 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-May-15 10:17:09

This week we're running a Q&A with Pampers baby yoga expert, Sam Petter.

Sam Petter is also the owner and founder of Tatty Bumpkin which she set up in 2004 to provide a creative children's programme inspired by yoga. Tatty Bumpkin is a character at the centre of yoga-inspired movement stories, incorporating music, storytelling and postures inspired by yoga. The award winning classes are delivered nationally, anywhere there are LO’s and parents looking for fun!

Pampers, together with Sam have developed a new, natural baby yoga routine with simple, easy-to-follow stretches that you and your LO can practice at home.

Baby yoga can be practiced safely from 6 weeks old and has many benefits including helping to improve sleep and encouraging movement, so you can enjoy a lovely bonding experience together that’s doing some good too!

Post your questions to Sam here before 18th May and we will send her 20 questions to respond to. We will then post her responses back on the thread on 22nd May.

This Q&A is sponsored by Pampers.

Thanks
MNHQ

TooManyNames Mon 11-May-15 12:44:04

Hiya,

Can you tell us the other benefits of baby yoga? I see you mention it helps with sleep, but can it help with colic/trapped wind.

Also can it help babies develop muscles to sit up, support their heads, walk/crawl etc.? Do you have to do it regularly to get full benefit? How often is good?

Thanks!!

SaladCreamOnEverything Mon 11-May-15 12:49:54

I'm a huge yoga fan, and find it's the only part of my week where I properly relax and switch off. Do you find that it has a similar effect on children? It would be great to find a way of helping my DD to relax at home when she's over tired and reluctant to settle.

Bighairdontcare Mon 11-May-15 13:05:11

How many times a week do you recommend doing baby yoga? We've just started going to a class near us, but would like to give it a go at home too.

CordeliaScott Mon 11-May-15 14:22:00

My baby is 7 months old and discovered crawling making it hard enough to get her to stay still whilst changing. Is this too old for baby yoga and do you find that older babies are receptive to being introduced to baby yoga or do they just want to crawl off in the opposite direction?

keentobemeagain Mon 11-May-15 14:54:48

How often would you recommend doing yoga with DC? I often see Baby Yoga classes advertised but it tends to focus on newborns but is it something we can build on from 6 weeks old through toddlerhood, childhood and beyond? Like healthy eating, I'd like to build it into our lifestyle from early on. And I'd also like to incorporate some exercises for me into proceedings!

CheeseEMouse Mon 11-May-15 15:30:24

My son is nearly 3 weeks old and a fairly calm baby. I am considering doing baby yoga with him when he's big enough - is there a best time of day to try it with him? Or is it best incorporated into a routine?

I'd also be keen to hear about anything restorative for me that I could do at the same time? I'd forgotten how tiring a newborn is!

Cherrybellyboo Mon 11-May-15 15:41:06

I have heard baby massage can help with postnatal depression. Is there any evidence to suggest that baby yoga can help too?

Timeforachangetoday Mon 11-May-15 16:07:44

I did baby yoga til mine could crawl then it was a waste of money chasing a crawler round the room for an hour. Is there a way to engage crawlers or if not what age would you recommend restarting yoga?

mummybare Mon 11-May-15 16:17:57

I have a 3-year-old and a wriggly, commando crawling 8-month-old. Is there anything I can do that might engage them both at the same time?? (Tall order, I know ��)

Thanks!

Wenglish Mon 11-May-15 18:03:48

What age would you recommend starting baby yoga? Could it work as part of a bedtime routine?

Fizzyplonk Mon 11-May-15 20:01:42

How does baby yoga differ from baby massage in terms of benefits?
Is it worth doing both and would you learn one before the other?
Thanks

hanrc Mon 11-May-15 20:19:29

I see that baby yoga is great for calming baby and help improve sleep but can it be used to help school aged children relax and improve concentration either before or after school perhaps?

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 11-May-15 20:25:49

Are there any good books/DVDs to help me do baby/child friendly Yoga at home?

OhHolyFuck Mon 11-May-15 20:48:22

I'll have 3 under 5 when DC3 comes along - is there a "family" yoga book or dvd that you'd recommend so we could all do it together and help them bond with the new one?

sharond101 Mon 11-May-15 21:17:55

Can baby yoga help colic?

HangingInAGruffaloStance Mon 11-May-15 21:31:23

Do you have any recommendations around getting preschoolers into yoga? Is it a good way to help wind down?

kittyvet Mon 11-May-15 21:34:44

What are your top 3 asanas for baby? What benefits do they bring?

Snailturtle Mon 11-May-15 21:50:30

My baby ie six weeks old, but was premature. Would you recommend starting baby yoga at 6weeks for prem babies or waiting longer and are there any specific benefits of yoga for prem babies?

kettlepot Mon 11-May-15 21:56:51

Do you need to have done yoga before doing baby yoga? And in the same way you get different levels of adult yoga, can babies/children progress as they become more experienced or do they have to stick to simpler moves? (Worried about boredom but also if more complicated positions would impede development in some way).

Thanks!

AvaAmulet Mon 11-May-15 23:29:05

I used to love attending regular yoga classes for years before I had DD but have only been able to make it to one class since blush. DD is a very flexible 2 year old - she loves inventing new poses and I think she'd quite enjoy yoga. Is there anything we can do together?

thewomaninwhitefluffybunnyears Tue 12-May-15 08:00:11

I know it is a pretty silly question but how do you know if you are doing it right at home? I always feel that I have not quite followed the instructions correctly. blush

Emrob86 Tue 12-May-15 10:09:30

At what age can you start doing baby yoga?

Plateofcrumbs Tue 12-May-15 10:20:40

Compared with some other babies who are very 'bendy' mine has always been quite stiff. I've always had very poor flexibility (always struggled to touch my toes even as a child!) so perhaps he has inherited it from me. I have done yoga which helps me a bit. Can yoga for babies and small children help them develop better flexibility? Is it even necessary to think about flexibility for babies?

Belmo Tue 12-May-15 10:45:09

Can you do adult and child yoga together?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: