Talk

Advanced search

Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

MNer with a child aged 5-11? Want to come to the launch of the new McDonald’s Happy Meal?!

(57 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jun-18 15:12:48

NOW CLOSED

We’ve been working with McDonald’s over the last year to help develop their Happy Meal menu. This included a survey, where over 1,000 Mumsnetters gave their opinion on what they’d like to see on the McDonald’s Happy Meal menu, and a focus group with Mumsnetters and gransnetters, where they could try new menu options and share their thoughts. Following this research McDonald’s are now launching their new Happy Meal! If you’d like to come along to the family fun day at St Paul’s, London on Saturday 30th June to try out the new menu sign up below.

Here’s what McDonald’s has to say: “We are constantly looking for ways to enhance our menu, from introducing new items to evolving the recipes of our iconic favourites. We’ve taken big steps to improve our Happy Meal in recent years and reducing saturated fat, salt and sugar content across our menu remains a priority. This is why we have been working with Mumsnet to provide even greater choice for parents and their families. We’ve heard from Mumsnetters about what they’d love to see added to the Happy Meal menu and we’re excited to be launching it later this month at this exclusive event. We’d love for you and your child to come along and try it out!”

The family fun day to launch the new Happy Meal menu will be taking place at St Paul’s, London from 1pm-3pm on Saturday 30th June. As well as lunch for the whole family there will also be music, games and face painting to take part in! All attendees will need to have a child aged 5-11 but they can bring others along to the event. After the event we’d like you to leave your feedback on the event and the new Happy Meal on a thread on Mumsnet. For coming along and leaving feedback all attendees will be given a £30 cheque and McDonald’s will reimburse travel costs of up to £50.

N.B. There will be filming and photography at the event so please only sign up if you’re happy with this.

If you are interested in taking part, please sign up here.

Thanks

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Miladamermalada Mon 18-Jun-18 10:18:13

Would love to do this if we lived closer.

anotherangel2 Mon 18-Jun-18 16:18:27

We are not London based and my DD is only DD. She has never been to McDonalds but I did comment on the orginal thread and there was lots of contradictory requests so it will be interesting to see the new menu and if they will be changing the stores.

Shiftymake Mon 18-Jun-18 16:31:07

£50 really isn't enough. Shame though as would like to see what has changed.

Visioncroquet Mon 18-Jun-18 17:09:13

Unfortunately not in the London area so I won't be signing up. Hoping you've added a vegetarian option to your happy meals.

SaltyMyDear Mon 18-Jun-18 17:11:45

Unbelievable that Mumsnet supports McDonalds.

It is not possible for McDonalds to be healthy and very irresponsible of Mumsnet to support it.

MakeTheManSomeFuckingEggs Mon 18-Jun-18 17:35:31

Is there a vegan/vegetarian option?

Raspacihno Mon 18-Jun-18 19:54:52

Why is it not possible salty?

Marcipex Mon 18-Jun-18 20:08:30

I hope there will be a veggie option at last.

KingIrving Tue 19-Jun-18 03:32:14

I am with Salty here.
I understand MN is a business and this is partnership with McDonalds is certainly remunerative for MN, but seriously, you just flushed your ethics down the toilet.
You publish a recipe book with plenty of fresh food, have guests who talk children obesity crisis, junk food addiction and then you offer money to MNetters to come and eat the very food type that is at the base of all these problems.

It doesn't matter if the menu includes cherry tomatoes or apples. It is just luring children into buying fast food and yes maybe once in a while they will pick the apple, but mostly the fries, the burgers, the coke.

This is tiny bit disappointing, Mumsnet. Did you just sell your soul to the devil? So in exchange for that big fat cheque, you just push kids into the grabby arms of the fast food industry.

I think you deserve a biscuit.

cholka Tue 19-Jun-18 08:14:29

I'd sooner feed my child food from a bin than McDonald's. It's filth, I don't care how you rebrand it.

GirlfriendInAKorma Tue 19-Jun-18 08:23:37

I don't eat at MacDonalds as it's very unhealthy, highly processed rubbish - so I have no intentions of feeding it to my children.

Can't believe anyone goes to MacDonalds these days when there are so many better, nicer and probably cheaper options.

Bit disappointed that MN are promoting them like this.

Strawberrybelly Tue 19-Jun-18 08:29:38

There's nothing wrong with an occasional mcdonalds as part of a healthy diet. Just wait until your children are in high school they will be eating all sorts of junk without you knowing.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 19-Jun-18 09:01:54

FFS, you might as well ban all cakes and sweets etc etc etc.

It's not supposed to be an everyday meal.

Since when are people not allowed to make their own life choices? Education is the key here and yes, make the "treat" options healthier if possible.

You might live to 110 on a diet of organic kale and filtered mountain water but it will be a miserable existence.

If you don't want to participate then don't.

KingIrving Tue 19-Jun-18 09:36:56

Participation wasn’t my point. I criticised MN endorsing the happy meal.
It is far more complicated than doing an informed choice. It is about creating an habit, making it normal to go to fast food.
You can eat real food and that includes cakes, but it is real food food.

You want to go, good on you. Put a parenting website should know better, I think.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 19-Jun-18 09:47:04

I was in the focus group and my DC have eagerly been awaiting this launch event! Already signed up! 😆

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 19-Jun-18 09:51:32

I didn't see it as endorsing, I see it as supporting a company trying to change. Not that I've looked into it a lot, but surely chips are just potato fried in oil, the chicken nuggets are real chicken and the burgers are made from beef? and the rolls from bread? That's "real" food. It is obviously not a vegan paradise, but is it any more "fast" that getting a cake and a coffee from a vegan café?

It's all about moderation and helping people to make informed choices and supporting companies that are trying to engage with the community to effect change.

I won't be going as my DC are almost adults and we don't live anywhere near London.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 19-Jun-18 09:55:05

salty is it unhealthy for my DC to have a McDonald's breakfast once every half term? That's a very unhealthy attitude to food.

GorgonLondon Tue 19-Jun-18 10:51:58

Nope

KingIrving Tue 19-Jun-18 12:05:17

DIdn't the tobacco industry also introduce Light cigarettes (marlboro light)? So McDonalds introducing healthy options is exactly the same,
Or sponsoring Little Athletics in NSW. Pure marketing and a pretence to health.

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Tue 19-Jun-18 12:37:21

Love McDonald's and so does dd! If I didn't live in Ireland we would definitely be there!
So what if it's not healthy! It's a treat!
Could kill for a Big Mac right now grin

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 19-Jun-18 12:54:18

DIdn't the tobacco industry also introduce Light cigarettes (marlboro light)? So McDonalds introducing healthy options is exactly the same

No it's not.

No-one needs to smoke cigarettes, there are no healthy versions. Food is required, some food is healthier than others, some is tastier than others. People already go to McDonalds as it provides a cheap ability to eat out for families on a budget. Surely it therefore means that attempts by them to make their food healthier is a good thing? Your local bakery probably has more unhealthy food in it but no-one is demanding they stop making custard slices and pies or comparing them to the tobacco industry.

It's education, support for parents etc we need.

MuddyForestWalks Tue 19-Jun-18 16:07:19

Jesus wept. Comparing a fucking chicken nugget to a Marlboro Light. Just when yoi thought you had seen it all from the MN orthorexics.

Shiftymake Tue 19-Jun-18 17:09:50

My kid gets McDonalds maybe once a year if that! We rarely eat take away or order the junk that you find at the local chippy, if McD has made a healthier and better Happy Meal I would have liked to see it and give feedback.

Smallhorse Tue 19-Jun-18 17:40:23

Wish I lived nearer , I'd be right in there !

Thanks for giving me a great laugh with the anti McDonalds / mumsnet have sold their soul to satan comments.

I'll go to McDonald's tonight now that you've put me in the mood with such self righteous drivel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: