Talk

Advanced search

Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

Read Mumsnetters’ feedback on the launch event for Swedish children’s fashion brand Newbie - Non attendee? £150 voucher to be won

(94 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Apr-18 15:08:03

This is the feedback thread for the 10 Mumsnetters who attended the VIP opening event at Bluewater Shopping centre for Swedish children’s lifestyle brand Newbie.

Here’s what Newbie has to say: “Newbie’s collections focus on sustainability, quality and design: products are made using organic cotton and any fabrics used that are not cotton are either sustainable or recycled. Newbie’s designs, with patterns and colours inspired by nature, have been developed to create pieces which won’t age, but will be inherited and loved for generations.”

Attendees, please answer the below questions on your experience at the event
- What did you enjoy most at the event?
- What do you think of the Newbie range?
- Would you recommend Newbie to a friend?

All attendees who give their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one attendee will win a £150 Newbie voucher.

Non-attendees - to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 Newbie voucher, please answer the following question:
- What are your favourite things to dress your children in?

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

GeekyWombat Fri 06-Apr-18 16:59:00

It was a lovely shopping experience with a great range, friendly staff who were clearly knowledgeable about their products but not robots about it. The cinammon bun was pretty epic too (although I took it with me as I left because I was worried I'd end up accidentally wiping it on the gorgeous clothes!).

I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved it. I went in with a £30 voucher and vague ideas of buying something for DS for a special meal we're going out for next month. Ended up with a full outfit for him (including an adorable shirt which was monogrammed with his initials in a first!) and then a lovely dress and cardigan poncho thing for DD too (I paid an extra £40 but it felt reasonable for the quality of the items I'd got).

I actually really liked how the range was quite small but perfectly formed, almost curated. it wasn't overwhelming to look round and find complementing items. Everything was fairly neutral colours, lots of lovely floral prints for the girls and everything was very timeless and classic. You could go in there and buy a selection of mix and match things and individual pieces weren't expensive compared to kids clothes shops I'd consider to be of a similar quality.

I really would. The range is classic and timeless, nice colours and prints and I loved how for girls it wasn't just all pink pink pink. I'd particularly recommend it for new baby gifts, both baby clothes and monogrammed bunnies, blankets and the like as the quality and softness of the cotton was great, prices are good and the things I saw were the kind of items that if I'd been given when our babies were born I'd (a) have loved them wearing and (b) have kept for the memory box afterwards.

The only (very minor) thing was with the monogramming - I asked for DS' initials on his shirt and got them, randomly, with one full stop (ie 'X.X' rather than either 'XX' or 'X.X.'). I am the kind of punctuation pedant who is bothered by this sort of thing so I'd be clarifying that better next time (although frankly it's not like DS has ever had anything monogrammed before so I'm fully aware the fault may have been mine for assuming it would come out one way or the other!).

All in all though DS and I had a fab time, I'm really chuffed with my purchases (and the lovely goodie bag, so thank you for that!) and it's opened my eyes to a new shop to look in for non-glitzy special occasion clothes when I'm at Bluewater.

Bobbiepin Fri 06-Apr-18 17:38:58

What did you enjoy most at the event?

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the store and the clothes - both small but perfectly formed. When I was greeted by the shop assistant (who was very friendly and approachable) she told me about the sustainability of the clothes and the production process and I instantly thought they were going to cost a fortune and they really don't. It was a nice treat to go to an opening, the coffee and cinnamon buns on offer were a lovely gesture (very much a shame I'm on a diet, they smelled delicious).

What do you think of the Newbie range?

The clothes are very cute without being sickly cutesy and would appeal to all parents, regardless of age or background, I think. The sort of clothes my DNana would pick out for DD but I really loved them too. Having a small selection was nice too, it seems like the sort of shop you go into every once in a while and you'll always find something cute. I didn't get anything personalised but the option is a very nice touch.

Would you recommend Newbie to a friend

I already have! Although there is a small selection, it seems good quality and very stylish. A lot of the affordable kids clothes available are a bit garish and it was nice to be presented with a selection of lovely clothes.

sleepyMe12 Fri 06-Apr-18 18:03:58

What did you enjoy most at the event?

The clothes! Yes the shop was beautiful, well set out, store staff very welcoming and knew their stuff etc etc but for me the clothes and seeing most of the range was the most enjoyable part. Although I did hang on to see the ribbon being done and the store officially opened.

I love the range. It's small but more then adequate. The boys prints are lovely and most of the items can be mixed and matched. I also bought my daughter the most beautiful cotton summer dress.

Would you recommend Newbie to a friend?

I already have. I visit bluewater quite often and will definitely be back. They also are online if you are not so close to a store wink

YuleABUnREASTIEable Fri 06-Apr-18 18:44:30

It was lovely to get to choose some bits for dd in a relaxing and beautiful shopping environment with a friendly environment and very helpful staff —I won’t lie, the goodie bag was good too— . I asked dd and she said the best bit was the cinnamon bun hmm.

From the looks of the shop and how beautifully everything is laid out I thought prices were going to be really expensive and it would be unaffordable for me to shop there for dd but I was so pleasantly surprised by the excellent value of everything. The range was great, really beautiful floral prints and everything looked very good quality and well made. It felt like I was treating dd to something special by buying from there (little touches like wrapping the clothes in tissue paper). The items were just the style of clothes I buy for dd so I really was spoilt for choice. There was a good variety of all sizes in the range in store to choose from. Dd has worn her top I chose for her today and it really suits her. When she needs some new clothes and I am in bluewater I will definitely visit again. The shop was set out with enough space for buggies to move around freely without getting stuck in the gangways and it was a lovely experience shopping in there, thank you newbie and mn for inviting me (and thanks for the brew .

Definitely, yes. From the outside it looks quite boutique and expensive so I really hope it doesn’t put people off from going in as the prices are so reasonable.

HoneyWheeler Sat 07-Apr-18 07:24:02

I was made to feel really welcome by the staff, thought the coffee and food touches were sweet and just loved looking at the gorgeous clothes! I asked if I could take pictures and was encouraged to do so, and even asked if I could 'check in' at the store to spread the word, which I was happy to do - talking with the staff, they seemed like actual people, who were switched on about their brand and how their customers help.

I think the range is lovely - very calming colours with a vibe that made me think of that ideal childhood of adventures and imaginings. It feels good quality, as though you could pass it from one child to the next. Lovely thick cottons and linens, which should last. The prices were not as expensive as I was expecting, although I would probably only buy from there for special occasions or for items I wanted to last. With the £30 voucher I bought a spring coat for my DS - he's too small to need it this year, so I bought a larger size for the future. I also couldn't help myself, and also bought a linen shirt and trousers for a wedding we're going to this summer.

As with most retailers, I did find that the girls section was more extensive than the boys, which is something to be aware of, although the boys range had some lovely prints as well.

Absolutely, for the shopping experience and for the quality. I think purchases from Newbie would easily become heirloom items, and it's perfect if you're looking for that special baby shower gift.

hannahphoenix Sat 07-Apr-18 09:43:56

Non-attendees - I usually use Next or Tu from sainsburys and love Zara too. I love soft fabrics and comfy while looking modern and fashionable

Tashap83 Sat 07-Apr-18 09:54:10

Non-attendee:

I love to dress my little boy in dungarees - we have so many pair but I just can’t resist how beautiful he looks in them, he is 7 months and I still love him in babygrows at home but we always do proper outfits for outside of the house

Caillou Sat 07-Apr-18 12:49:26

Non - attendee

I love to dress my daughters in simple but timeless clothes

And my son in smart but comfy outfits.

sherbertlemon17 Sat 07-Apr-18 19:31:32

What did you enjoy most about the event?

Any excuse to browse gorgeous baby clothes is a win for me! I’ve seen the brand advertised online before so I was really excited to see first hand what the quality of the products was like, especially as I knew they are reasonably priced.

A big shout out to the incredibly welcoming and knowledgable staff. My DD is pretty tall for her age so it’s nice to know how true the sizing is. I was told Newbie clothing comes up slightly larger, but not excessively so, and I’d agree with this after getting home and trying some bits on.

The little touches were also great. Free coffee and cinnamon buns after a long night with a sleepless baby were graciously received! I also thought that the free embroidery service was a lovely touch. I was also a tad disappointed with this though as they embroidered the initial on to the back of the garment I’d purchased and spoiled it sad A great idea but unfortunately not very well executed by the looks of things.

Honestly, I loved it. I have a toddler DD and a 6mo DS so I looked at the clothes for babies and children for both genders. The quality is lovely and although the selection is quite small, I found that to be quite refreshing. The girls selection was pretty and feminine without being too cutesy and pink. And the boys selection wasn’t too garish with too many “characters” on, which they often can be. It was also nice that there was just as many nice boys clothes as girls for once!

Would you recommend Newbie to a friend?

Without a shadow of a doubt. I will be back very soon smile

Sleepysausage Sun 08-Apr-18 20:55:21

Non-attendee...
I love seeing our dd in Osh kosh denim dungarees. Just the cutest thing ever!

Disaka79 Mon 09-Apr-18 00:44:55

What did you enjoyed the most at the event?

My 15 month old had her very first grab of the day, a soft cuddly bunny. We were welcomed by the staff in their beautiful and well decorated shop. I loved the refreshment that they provided : Swedish cinnamon buns and a hot coffee. (My kids had seconds) with a awesome goody bag to take home. We had a complementary initial or name to be embroidered in any dressed purchased, I had my daughter’s name embroidered on her dress.

Newbie is a completely new brand for me, so going through their collection range was very exciting. Their well informed staff were very helpful by providing me information of their product and brand.
A wide collection of neutral , floral and embroidery range of collection were placed on display for newborns to 8 years old. Their clothing material is very soft , (Despite of getting a free voucher, I ended paying £20 extra , I got carried away.) They also have beautiful accessories like a headbands with a lace bow, bow hair clip. By the look of the shop I though the clothes might be very pricey, as all their cloths are 100% organic cotton, and cotton is not cheap. But have been very surprised how reasonable the prices were. Wish I had known this shop before.
Thank you mumsnet to give an opportunity for this event.

Would you recommend Newbie to friend?

Definitely!! I have already told my friends and family about Newbie and their beautiful cotton range. I’ll definitely make another visit to the shop

Kizzy2018 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:38:14

The staff were very welcoming and keen to help. They also seemed very knowledgeable about the clothes. I am not going to lie the goody bag was also pretty awesome!

The clothes were very good quality and tasteful in a muted colour palette. If I'm being honest I preferred the boys clothes to the girls, which I found too floral. I would have preferred to have seen a bit more colour. The prices were surprisingly reasonable. From the look of the shop you'd expect the clothing to be priced much higher. It just remains to be seen how the clothes come out after washing.

I would recommend it for someone who is looking for something a bit different, and quite classic.

NerrSnerr Mon 09-Apr-18 10:49:34

None attendee

I like to dress my children in bright and easy to put on clothes like leggings, joggers and t shirts. My daughter loves to wear dresses and has quite a collection of party dresses I have picked up from the charity shop.

Kizzy2018 Mon 09-Apr-18 11:12:21

Also just to add that I did not get anything personalised because they said they could only do initials and not names. My kids names are very short so this was disappointing.

sharond101 Mon 09-Apr-18 11:56:02

I like to dress my children in sheet clothes. My Daughter in dresses and my Son in shirts. It's not always practical though.

Didiusfalco Mon 09-Apr-18 12:41:06

Non attendee here. I like to dress my toddler in leggings and joggers with tops or tunics. Things she can move around in easily, although I’m favouring stretchy dresses for potty training!

GeekyWombat Mon 09-Apr-18 13:18:32

Can I gatecrash the thread again just to say: attendee MNer in front of me in the queue with the amazing grey H&M trousers: Thank you so much for telling me where they were from. A pair arrived for me today. They are now the comfiest trousers I own!

Pinklady1981 Mon 09-Apr-18 14:53:20

Non-attendee: I love to dress my toddler in leggings,something with a print and colourful. Comfort is important especially when they are running around all day.

Mochamocha Mon 09-Apr-18 15:37:54

Non attendee here: My twins are very girly and love dresses, so its dresses with tights or leggings.

MrsFrTedCrilly Mon 09-Apr-18 16:12:37

Non attendee
I love frugi for kids, lovely colours and fantastic quality with eco credentials.
We also tend to work our way through plenty of the cousins and friends old clothes too.

BlueTablecloth Mon 09-Apr-18 16:51:08

non attendee i like letting my kids choose their own clothes so that their different personalities come through. if i'm choosing i like bright colours, nothing too pink or tarty, natural fibres, practical to play in and easy to wash

PashleyB Mon 09-Apr-18 17:59:32

Non attendee: I tend to like putting my children in bright colours. The problem is my daughter insists on choosing but she then ends up looking like a bit of a mess!

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 09-Apr-18 18:10:38

Non-attendee: my biggest priority in small children is comfort. After that I like them to not be too “slogan-y” and to be in a decent range of colours.

Tattybogle89 Mon 09-Apr-18 18:39:04

Non-attendee

I like to dress my baby in soft clothes like joggers and cute little tshirts and jumpers while he’s still small

My older child I love printed tshirts and hoodies with pictures on. And smart chino type trousers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: