Talk

Advanced search

What are your favourite mushroom recipes? Share with The UK and Ireland Mushroom Producers - £300 worth of vouchers to be won

(272 Posts)
YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jun-20 10:09:59

Mealtimes can be a challenge, from ensuring we’re getting all the nutritious goodness from foods to making a dish suitable for the whole family. It means that most of us have to get creative in the kitchen with ingredients and recipes.
One of the foods we often use in cooking are mushrooms, as high in antioxidants and packed with various vitamins and minerals*.

The UK and Ireland Mushroom Producers want to find out your favourite recipes that include mushrooms, so other families can be inspired and get their much needed vit-hit.

Here’s what they had to say: “Following the latest NHS advice** around vitamin D, Nutritionist and best-selling cookery writer, Madeleine Shaw, unveils that you can achieve your daily dose by simply eating eight medium-sized vitamin D enriched mushrooms.
Mushrooms are an affordable, easily accessible and versatile ingredient to use in cooking across breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now and in the future, it is important to protect and maintain a healthy immune system, seeking out new ways to achieve that much needed vitamin D hit for you and your family. However, one in four of us aren’t getting our daily recommended vitamin intake.***
British and Irish vitamin D enriched mushrooms will help keep sunshine vitamin levels topped up naturally.As a key vitamin essential in supporting a normal immune system, Vitamin D plays a vital role in keeping our bones healthy, as it works to regulate our intake of calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.”

So, we’re asking you:
- What are your favourite family recipes that include mushrooms as the main or one of the ingredients?
- Do you and your family have a favourite type of mushrooms and where do you usually find them?
- Do your children love mushrooms, or do you have to hide them in their meals, so they eat them?
- What makes you include mushrooms in your family’s diet - taste, nutrients, or something else?

Share your experience of making more of mushrooms in your meals on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 Tesco voucher provided by the Irish and British mushroom producers plus a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list) .

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ
Insight Terms and Conditions apply

* BBC Good Food, The health benefits of mushrooms
** NHS Vitamin-D Advice
* Survey conducted by Opinion Matters to 2,000 UK adult respondents, data correct as of 3rd June 2020, commissioned by The UK & Ireland Mushroom Producers

OP’s posts: |
BristolMum96 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:10:24

Just a classic mushrooms on toast!

MumC2141 Mon 15-Jun-20 14:07:29

Garlic mushrooms

notimetostandandstare Mon 15-Jun-20 15:00:59

Mushroom risotto with oven baked mini portobello mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped with Parma ham served on the top. Delicious!

ColdCottage Mon 15-Jun-20 15:04:10

Gosh - where to start! Mushrooms are my favourite food!

Ashhead24 Mon 15-Jun-20 15:04:29

Mushrooms on toast is a favourite here. Fried in butter and garlic.

MotherofTerriers Mon 15-Jun-20 15:10:52

Big Portobello mushrooms baked in the oven with garlic butter, then each served in a warm ciabatta roll. Like a steak sandwich but veggie

ColdCottage Mon 15-Jun-20 15:13:40

40 minute mushrooms (on toast)

Family size punnet of mushrooms
Circa 60g salted butter ( I use two large slices around 1cm thick from a block of butter) plus extra for toast.
50ml tap water (just a guide)
Salt (I use low sodium due to health)
White fresh farmhouse loaf cut thickly.
Big deep, non stick frying pan or a large saucepan whichever you use you need a lid.

Add 30g butter (or 1 slice) to the pan and melt on a medium heat.

Slice the mushrooms around 1/2cm thick
Add to pan along with the tap water and stir, cover with lid.

Once the mushrooms are soft remove the lid and cook until all the juices which have come out have almost gone stirring occasionally.

This is when you add the remaining butter.
Stir the mushrooms occasionally until they are golden and when you press down on them they squeak. Taste them and add a little salt now if you wish.

The serve on the white toast which has been spread with a thick layer of proper butter.

Kimsha Mon 15-Jun-20 15:39:53

Sautéed mushrooms with veg.

Fresh mushrooms cleaned and sliced
Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Garlic
Onions
Spinach ( Your fave green veg)
Fresh Red pepper

Heat your pan, add two tablespoon of olive oil, add salt and mushrooms until golden brown, add Cut peppers and onions, Add spices, stir till soft. Add veg last for a min or two.

Very nice smile

greengoose21b Mon 15-Jun-20 15:54:55

Mushroom, Corn and Red Pepper Tacos. Quick sauté and then add spices....or a taco seasoning mix if you don't have time. Serve with lashings of cheese, salsa, chopped tomato and lettuce.

Or chestnut mushrooms, halloumi and cherry tomato linguini. Again, a sauté for the veg...then fry in the halloumi, lots of fresh basil, olive oil and pepper,

I love mushrooms. I told my kids I wanted to open a restaurant called Mushroom Hut. They weren't impressed.....they'll learn!

ApricotExpat Mon 15-Jun-20 16:00:02

Mushrooms and barley, with coconut milk and a touch of curry powder. Yum!

Chanterelles on sourdough!

starlight36 Mon 15-Jun-20 16:42:54

Growing up chopped mushrooms sautéed with chopped pieces of bacon in butter served on a thick slice of homemade bread was a Saturday lunch treat.

Mushroom risotto made with chestnut mushrooms and dried porcini mushrooms using the soaking liquid from the porcini mushrooms as part of the cooking stock is a favourite comfort food.

torthecatlady Mon 15-Jun-20 16:59:17

I like mushrooms fried in garlic and butter here! Also homemade beer battered mushrooms. I always hide chop up baby button mushrooms for adding to bolognese or lasagne too.

Dh and dss aren't huge fans of mushrooms normally, I think it's more the idea of them rather than the flavour because they will eat things with mushroom in if they're not sure it's in there!

NudgeUnit Mon 15-Jun-20 17:08:44

I love mushrooms and often have them on toast for breakfast or with cheese melted over them for lunch. My favourite dinner recipe is a Provencal mushroom bake, which I lovingly reproduce for you here:

- Cube a large aubergine and sprinkle it with salt.
- Core and roughly chop 4 beef tomatoes.
- Wipe and chop a large punnet of mushrooms of any and all types.
- Peel 6 or 8 garlic cloves and leave them whole.
- Wash a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary and/or bay.
- Rinse 1 or 2 cans of mixed beans.
- Breadcrumb half a loaf of stale white bread and stir in a few slugs of oil.
- Keep back a glass of white wine from the bottle you are drinking while you cook (optional).

1. Rinse the salt off the aubergine and fry in a hot pan with a bit of oil til it colours up, then set aside.
2. Fry up the mushrooms til they brown and drain off excess water.
3. Combine the aubergine, mushrooms, beans, garlic and herbs in a deep ovenproof dish and bake for 30 mins at 180C.
4. Take it out, give it a good stir, top with the chopped tomato and pour over the wine. Put it back in for 15 more minutes.
5. Stir it all again and top with the oily breadcrumbs, then bake for another 15 mins.

Yum.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 15-Jun-20 17:15:06

Love mushrooms.

I have lots of favourites:

big flat mushrooms, roasted and used as a burger - even better if there's fried halloumi there too

Mushroom stroganoff

Mushroom curry - I do a really simple one with onions, spices, sliced mushrooms, finely chopped baby plum tomatoes and natural yoghurt

Mushroom and stilton pie - fry onions and mushrooms. Add red wine and a bit of Marmite to make the vege a bit saucy. Spoon into pie dish/dishes, then crumble stilton on top. Cover with pastry (puff or shortcrust) and bake until golden. Delicious and tastes like more effort than it actually is.

Diva66 Mon 15-Jun-20 18:07:28

My version of a cheeseburger smile Grilled portobello mushroom topped with grated cheese and a sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce, served on a ciabatta roll.

user1469989812 Mon 15-Jun-20 18:12:57

We love mushrooms

Fry sliced mushrooms with smoked bacon lots of garlic, thyme and black pepper, stir through double cream and lots of parsley and stir through a handful of parmesan. Lovely with pasta or on garlic bread slices 😋.

Fry mushrooms and onions, add garlic powder, add dried dill, smoked paprika, soy sauce and vegetable stock, simmer for 15 minutes. Mix milk and flour in a bowl and add to the soup and cook for a further 5-10 mins. Add a generous grind of black pepper, lemon juice and sour cream and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Mushroom pakoras

Mix 100g gram flour, pinch of baking soda, 2tsp garam masala, 1tsp turmeric, 1tsp ginger, 2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp garlic powder and salt slowly add water to make a thick batter. Add whole mushrooms to the batter then deep fry until nicely browned and crispy.

ColdCottage Mon 15-Jun-20 18:14:51

I will follow up later with recipes for:

Mushroom and bacon quiche

Mushrooms in creamy basil pesto pasta (poached chicken optional)

Those have got to be my top three. All super tasty.

If I'm out it has mushrooms too. There is a pizza restaurant on the South Bank which has an amazing mushroom pizza with ruffle on a bechamel base (not tomato) or John Campbell's Michelin star winning mushroom risotto from when he was head chef at The Vineyard. Yum!

Asuwere Mon 15-Jun-20 19:05:40

I love mushroom risotto. DC are not keen on mushrooms so I chop them small and just call it risotto so they don't notice them - I fry extra mushrooms for myself though! smile

lymphopenia Mon 15-Jun-20 19:10:49

We LOVE mushrooms in our house and they've recently crept into lots of our old classic recipes for example fajitas and lots of pasta dishes

Our favourite recipe is a mushroom and chicken stroganoff which my dad makes (hes half russian) and it's without a doubt my favourite dinner.

My DC love mushrooms and have eaten them cooked and raw (safe ones obviously grin) since they were toddlers. I find them easy to bulk out recipes and mushrooms on toast is a favourite lunch during the holidays/lockdown.

We also used to mushroom pick with my russian grandma as children, something we loved doing in childhood but these days I've sadly lost the knack and wouldn't trust myself to know which are safe and which aren't.

AlexandraPeppernose Mon 15-Jun-20 19:23:56

Field mushrooms cut thickly cooked in butter with red onion, garlic and thyme, add creme fraice and black pepper. Serve with anything you like. Delish

BrandyandBabycham Mon 15-Jun-20 19:33:00

The best mushrooms I ever had were picked fresh in France & I could have eaten them all day long! But as far as my family is concerned, we love garlic mushrooms or breaded mushrooms with garlic dip. My 11 year old daughter actually likes raw mushrooms & so do I, in a salad. I also love creamed mushrooms on toast & I love a big flat grilled mushroom with a steak. Mushrooms on pizza. Chestnut mushrooms in a steak or chicken & mushroom pie. Bacon & mushroom sarnies for breakfast. I love mushrooms!

SaigonSaigon Mon 15-Jun-20 19:38:36

I make a mean mushroom risotto with chestnut mushrooms and dried porcini, fresh parsley and garlic. We all eat every morcel. So much so I have to make an extra big amount each time!

APeakyBlinder Mon 15-Jun-20 19:40:58

Mushroom stroganoff, it's so simple to make and really quick. Fry mushrooms (normal and chestnut) and onion, add a dollop of tomato purée and garlic purée, then a dollop of creme fraiche and double cream- takes about 10 mins and is divine! My son had a phase around 2 of not eating mushrooms but now he's 4 he loves them- I'm so glad he changed his mind, I was seriously missing mushroom based dishes!

InMySpareTime Mon 15-Jun-20 19:48:43

Portobello mushroom with garlic and butter, topped with a slice of halloumi and baked in the oven.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »