Talk

Advanced search

Share your tips for a fun bathtime with TOMY - 3 x £100 voucher to be won!

(217 Posts)
AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Oct-19 11:18:35

From bubble bath beards to rubber ducks, bathtime for your children can be a source of laughter, excitement, and silliness even if you sometimes dread them. Persuading your child that it’s time for a bath can be infinitely easier when you have a trick up your sleeve that makes them playful and appealing. With this in mind, TOMY want to hear from you the ways your make bathtime fun for your children.

Here’s what TOMY have to say:
“Bath time is a key bonding moment for parent and child and bath toys are important during this time for exposing babies to new sensations and keeping them occupied and entertained. Knowing this, TOMY Toomies’ Mumsnet rated bath toys are designed to delight children and adults alike, featuring great water play elements, bright colours and characters, as well as classic developmental play features; championing that memories are made when laughter is shared.”

How do you make bathtime something to look forward to in your house? Do you have go-to bath toys that are a guaranteed hit with your children? Or perhaps bubble bath is enough to entertain them? Was there something that made bathtime fun when you were a child that you want to recreate for your own children? Which part (if at all) of bathtime do your children enjoy the most - the bubble bath, the toys, being in the water, or something else entirely?

Share the ways you make bathtimes for your child fun on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where 3 x MNers will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

anypossibleway Wed 30-Oct-19 11:23:55

Loads of bubble bath. And toys that squirt water!

EagleVisionSquirrelWork Wed 30-Oct-19 12:01:46

Not in the spirit of the thread, I suppose, but I always liked bathtimes to be calm and quiet. When my children were babies, they used to love just floating in the bath, with me at first but later on their own. It's still one of their favourite things to do when we go swimming (which also seems to be afflicted with other children shouting, splashing and needing elaborate toys). Braced for a flaming about my dismalness, naturally.

voyager50 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:28:31

When he was younger he loved the letters and shapes that stick on the bathroom tiles - they also helping him with spelling and reading as it got a little older.

Maiyakat Wed 30-Oct-19 21:24:02

DD had various bath toys but preferred playing with the empty shampoo bottles!

BristolMum96 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:41:51

Lots of toys and bubble bath. My daughter isn't keen on 'bath' toys and prefers just any of her water safe/plastic normal toys

Asuwere Thu 31-Oct-19 09:57:06

My DC have all loved bath time and have needed no encouragement to get in. They have had proper bath toys but get most enjoyment out of empty bottles and cups - I remember playing with them when I was little too. It's amazing how much fun it is to fill a bottle and empty it out, and I guess they are learning about science at the same time. smile

flimple Thu 31-Oct-19 10:07:34

My two love bath time and we've always tried to make it fun with plenty of squirty toys and bubbles. Sometimes we play music and have a bath disco! Generally though they just love splashing and seeing who can get the bubbles highest up on the wall (then they race to clear them up again!)

Thistly Thu 31-Oct-19 10:19:12

When travelling, i found that the only thing needed to make bath time fun was a plastic cup/ tub so they could do pouring.

The thing my younger children liked best was bathing together.

My older children like listening to music, so a shower radio with a clock is what they need!

meow1989 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:07:18

Bubble bath, cups for pouring and lots of splashing! Recently I've bought some squirty soap foam too that ds 16 months enjoys squashing around. Hes always been a little water baby and bath time is part of our bedtime routine. He knows the drill and will say "bubble bath" and lead us to.the stairs when it's time

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 31-Oct-19 12:17:01

DC know the routine- quiet time (usually TV), bath, book, bed so they expect it & quite like it.
They have lots of bubbles & a few toys to make it more 'fun' but it generally isn't a struggle which is a relief!

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 16:15:14

Bath toys are great but so are plastic cups, jugs and bottles.

DH is a massive West Ham fan, so his bath time duties consisted of blowing /throwing a lot of bubbles around and ensuring the DCs could sing I'm forever blowing bubbles very loudly from a young age.

jbiscuits Thu 31-Oct-19 16:39:59

Bath time has always been done by DH in our house. It doesn't really matter what the toys are, but playing and chatting with daddy at the end of the day is definitely their highlight!

Mickhasnotorso Thu 31-Oct-19 20:52:48

My kids love jugs and bubbles.

flowersfromheaven Thu 31-Oct-19 22:13:23

I love making bubbles and splashing an pouring water out of plastic cups with my little one, Bath time to me is about enjoying being in the bath and getting the little one used to being in water so she is not scared of bath times.

WilmaJean Fri 01-Nov-19 06:21:29

Bubble bath is a must! And then a selection of toys that they can choose from. Although if we've been staying somewhere and there are no toys, a plastic cup will do!

m0jit0 Fri 01-Nov-19 07:24:52

Bubble bath and bath toys!

Cakeandmarshmallows Fri 01-Nov-19 08:50:51

Like some others, my little one loves pouring and the foam letters, that will be useful as he's learning to read and write. But also bubbles and squirting toys. I try and and keep fairly calm but also fun and it's great bonding and time together. I rotate some of the toys but also keep the shower gel etc bottles for pouring and squirting!

BayWindow Fri 01-Nov-19 16:27:41

Yes definitely bubble bath so DS can play with that and make himself or us white beards, or a bubbly nose. Then any toy or cup is lots of fun. At the moment his favourite is a little orange boat. We sing nursery rhymes to do with water too.

Stargirl84 Fri 01-Nov-19 19:36:49

Bubble bath and making beards out of bubbles!

wellingtonsandwaffles Fri 01-Nov-19 19:57:09

Lots and lots of bubbles! Making them into hats and beards and sneezing them and hiding toys in them.

Snazzygoldfish Fri 01-Nov-19 20:51:17

My little boy loves coloured baths and gets excited choosing which colour combination to have each night. The bath is then a swamp/palace/ocean/water garden depending on whatever colour he's ended up with. He also has the toomies bath squirters and loves causing mayhem and making them 'trump' on different parts of his body to great hilarity...

MadeForThis Fri 01-Nov-19 20:53:30

We have a mini bucket and spade set. DD's love filling the bucket with water and bubbles.

MrsRobert Fri 01-Nov-19 23:18:18

My toddler enjoys making bubble beards and playing with little buckets. Boats are also a winner. He dreads getting his hair washed and the little cap didn't work for him. We hold a face cloth above his eyes and that finally seems to have helped him. He also has chose the shampoo he feels like he has a special one.

Wowthisisreal Fri 01-Nov-19 23:24:12

We have a lot mini watering can and we always 'water' my son at the beginning of the bath so he will grow big and strong. He loves it and it gets him used to having water on his face 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »