Talk

Advanced search

What are your top tips for getting your child to sleep? Share to win a £300 voucher + toys from Hasbro’s new Moon and Me range!

(332 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Jul-19 10:48:36

This activity is now closed.

Getting your DC to sleep can be a challenge worthy of an award. It can be especially difficult when your children change the way they respond to toys, songs, or any other sleep aids you have in your parental arsenal. To celebrate the launch of their new Moon and Me Toy range, Hasbro would like you to share your tips for how you succeed in getting your child to sleep or what has helped you manage your child’s sleeping habits in the past.

Here’s what Hasbro has to say about their Moon and Me toys:
“Our lovable new toy range features favourite characters from the magical world of Moon and Me. From figures and play-sets that are perfect for playtime to soft plush that little ones will love snuggling with at bedtime! “

What are your tips and tricks for getting your children to sleep? Have you worked out a magic routine, or do you have a favourite sleep toy? Do you rely on sleep songs or other comforters to help you? Does TV make up a part of your child’s sleep routine? Who has a bigger say in picking up a sleep toy - you or your children? Does your DC already have a preferred sleep aid?

Please share your tips for getting your child to sleep below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list) and a toy bundle from the new Moon and Me toy range.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Terms and Conditions apply

alem17 Sun 18-Aug-19 22:44:52

Lullabies and mobiles

Sandybval Sun 18-Aug-19 20:32:52

We read a story but encorporate her favourite cuddly (a rather tatty now sheep) into each one, she guesses what he will be up to in the story tonight. I think the combination of listening and thinking about where sheepie is going to pop up tires her out grin

LittenKitten Sat 17-Aug-19 12:59:37

A lovely bath with Epsom salts and lavender oil.

Reading a book together.

My eldest DS is 8 now but quite an anxious boy. We’ve found some yoga nidra and sleep meditations on Spotify that he loves to listen to and they normally send him right off to sleep.

DitaFajitaJones Fri 16-Aug-19 20:18:04

Routine. We have alexa remind her its coming up to bed time 30 minutes before. That way she can have a little time reading, or an audiobook as she continues to play with her toys a little longer. Then shes ready and prepared to get ready for bed and sleep, no fuss smile

Withington Fri 16-Aug-19 20:04:46

A sheepskin rug in the cot seemed to work, along with patting their bum repetitively for a long time.

SylvanianFrenemies Fri 16-Aug-19 17:23:32

Having a set routine and never counting your chickens and assuming they are about to drop off!

I am the preferred sleep aid confused, but they like to cuddle each other and whatever you is in favour too.

PomDeNlume Fri 16-Aug-19 17:13:42

Following my toddler's lead as to when he is tired works for us - we tried to "force" an earlier bedtime but he has just always been a bit of a night owl. When he is tired he gets his vitamins and teeth brushed, then a story and cuddle before falling asleep. Works for now!

Fi1982 Fri 16-Aug-19 12:59:05

We have a strict routine - two bedtime songs, then on the bed for a cuddle and bottle with her musical bear which players lullabies and emits a small glow. As we leave, we tell her mummy or daddy will be there when she wakes up... and that’s it! Works 7 time out of 10 😁

YouDancin Thu 15-Aug-19 21:29:12

Routine was and is everything.

LivingDeadGirlUK Thu 15-Aug-19 20:00:27

A cup of milk, book, then a cuddle and soft lighting and music. Still takes about a hour though :/

sjonlegs Thu 15-Aug-19 19:18:10

My son has profound medical and complex special needs and he responds really well to sensory stimuli. He has a lava lamp a bubble lamp and a light show on the ceiling with soothing music. His set-up is really sleep-inducing .. but I think something to snuggle would be nice too.

Rachel1874 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:29:57

We have bath, then milk, then dinner, then story time, and cuddle to sleep. We used to have to have a bottle to sleep but we are eating enough now he doesn't want another bottle. Then once asleep I put him in his sleepbag and down in his cot.

custardcream1000 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:18:29

DS1 was a breeze to get to sleep and would drift off without any fuss after a bath and a story.

DS2 only started to sleep through the night at the age of 5, which was exhausting.

DS3 (25 months) used to be a good sleeper, but now refuses to sleep and wakes through the night. I'm hoping I can find some good tips in this thread.

Aussiesaff Thu 15-Aug-19 08:37:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KittyKat88 Wed 14-Aug-19 23:08:53

I've always had a routine for my 2 DDs. Even though they're Primary age now they still get a bath and story before bed. I also usually leave Fun Kids on their radios to help settle them to sleep. Works a trick every night.

Sugarhouse Wed 14-Aug-19 19:44:06

I get him ready for bed and give him his milk and clean his teeth then into his cot with his favourite blanket and comfort bunnies where I read him a story in the dark. I then give him kisses and cuddles and leave the room but leave the door wide open and landing light on so it’s not too dark. I find not shutting the door on him really helps him not to get upset. However I honestly think every child is different and what works for one won’t for another.

Bellroyd Wed 14-Aug-19 15:13:46

Have a wind-down routine to prepare him/her for sleep but make sure you get plenty of physical play in during the day. It does it for me.

Oh - and NO technology in the bedroom!

SassyandClassy Wed 14-Aug-19 10:04:50

Just keep them active all day and then when it is bedtime then give them a bath, blankets, a nice song and warm milk.
They'll feel so comfortable that they will just nod off.

buckley1983 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:48:42

A good bedtime routine is essential.. certainly for our LO anyway!
We try to start winding down around 6pm - some quiet, relaxed games followed by a bath with some gorgeous smelling bedtime bath bubbles. After bath - it's into PJs, brush teeth & then snuggling into bed with a story (or 5!) - if he's still wide awake, he'll listen to a story CD - but he usually just snuggles down & dozes off.
If only it were that easy when he was a baby!!! smile

Flamingo84 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:56:45

Finding a routine and sticking to it really works. But you also have to let them lead a bit I think, if it’s not working, adapt.

DS has always loved his sleep and I moved him into his own room at 5 1/2 months. He was getting restless in our room because all our sleep sounds were disturbing him. He slept straight through the first night in his room (I tried not to be offended that he clearly didn’t miss me!).

From the first night he came home from the hospital we had white noise playing as he slept. Then as he got to about 6 months and had a bedtime, we did dinner, bath, story, bottle and bed. The music plays while he has his bottle and then it’s off to sleep.

As he’s got older (he’s one now) the time has changed from 7pm to closer to 8pm as he was fighting sleep, crying and getting worked up. This led to all of us being frazzled so we pushed it back a bit and he’s dropping right off which is much nicer for all concerned. grin

PepsiLola Tue 13-Aug-19 21:45:06

Routine!

When they are little, bath/book/bed. We use lavender scented bath products and use lamps rather than main light for story time.

I've always made sure their bed space is not overwhelmed, they have a comfort teddy but not several. No toys/distractions.

Luckily both my children are really good at bedtime now, making up for the fact they didn't sleep as newborns 😂

Nicole1709 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:10:45

My little one has a clock that shows the stars when she needs to sleep. She knows to get up once the clock shows sunshine.

MommaJP Tue 13-Aug-19 21:08:31

We just stick to routine.
Shower / bath, then a story make sure he's got teddy & Freddo (both teddies)

ailsasheldon Tue 13-Aug-19 18:55:19

We were lucky as all three of mine had favourite bears and sucked thumbs or fingers so no lost dummies. All of them love their beds and we have found back lit kindles a huge help to have some quiet time before they go to sleep.

munchbunch12 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:13:29

Reading a book they have chosen themself. When they were very little, just sitting and cuddling them quietly in a dimly lit room seemed to help get them ready for sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »