Talk

Advanced search

What are your top tips for getting your child to sleep? Share to win a £300 voucher + toys from Hasbro’s new Moon and Me range!

(332 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Jul-19 10:48:36

This activity is now closed.

Getting your DC to sleep can be a challenge worthy of an award. It can be especially difficult when your children change the way they respond to toys, songs, or any other sleep aids you have in your parental arsenal. To celebrate the launch of their new Moon and Me Toy range, Hasbro would like you to share your tips for how you succeed in getting your child to sleep or what has helped you manage your child’s sleeping habits in the past.

Here’s what Hasbro has to say about their Moon and Me toys:
“Our lovable new toy range features favourite characters from the magical world of Moon and Me. From figures and play-sets that are perfect for playtime to soft plush that little ones will love snuggling with at bedtime! “

What are your tips and tricks for getting your children to sleep? Have you worked out a magic routine, or do you have a favourite sleep toy? Do you rely on sleep songs or other comforters to help you? Does TV make up a part of your child’s sleep routine? Who has a bigger say in picking up a sleep toy - you or your children? Does your DC already have a preferred sleep aid?

Please share your tips for getting your child to sleep below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list) and a toy bundle from the new Moon and Me toy range.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Terms and Conditions apply

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 22-Jul-19 23:13:30

Routine, a calm environment and luck! I had one who would just drop off no problem and one who would fight sleep with all she had.

DuploRelatedInjury Tue 23-Jul-19 07:11:53

Having a bedtime, routine, once they're in their room don't bring them out again/turn on the big light. We used Ewan the sheep with both DC - worked great with DC1, DC2 not so much! I think there's an element of luck involved, some children are just good sleepers!

purpleclaire Tue 23-Jul-19 10:45:31

Both of my 2 (11 & 6) have always been good sleepers - even as babies. We still have a routine, in the bathroom, quiet time, lights off, kiss goodnight - try to read a story to the youngest, but they're often both tired after school or activities. My youngest won't go to sleep without Pink Rabbit , her comforter since she was born...and still sucks her thumb. My oldest will often read quietly for half an hour, before we turn out the light.

redbook Tue 23-Jul-19 11:23:36

I followed all of the advice - routines, baths, consistency, quiet time before bed, stories, don't nap too late etc and my DC was still (and still is) a terrible sleeper.

My advice is don't worry about it. There is so much pressure to have a good sleeper. Now, my DC - aged nearly 6 takes about an hour from end of story to falling asleep. He talks to himself about his day and often fights falling asleep as he would rather be awake. I just let him be.

caffeinebuzz Tue 23-Jul-19 12:02:08

Strong routine and clear boundaries during bedtime and any night wake ups. When we are inconsistent once usually due to exhaustion it always takes a couple of nights to get back on track.

sharond101 Tue 23-Jul-19 12:02:26

My children slept better when they got to th e stage of not needing milk at bedtime.

Jem01 Tue 23-Jul-19 15:59:27

With my 18 month old I give her a cuddle and a soft teddy that she then likes to cuddle. I pat her back and sing her a song (at the moment it is twinkle twinkle) she closes her eyes pretends to be sleeping and then I slowly leave the room. She will turn to look at me as I am leaving but I do say good night bed time, good night teddy. She mimics me and then she lays down cuddling her teddy.

For my 3 year old son I read him a story and then he too sleeps with his teddy. No cuddles or pats to sleep with him as he can soothe himself. We say goodnight to teddy and then I slowly leave his room.

This bedtime routine works well for them both (for now!) although at some point we will introduce a story for my 18 month old too.

Sleepthiefsmum18 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:45:15

Our almost 3 year old has become much more difficult to get to sleep lately. We've recently discovered that listening to a sleep story on a meditation app seems to help! I think any audiobook or CD story would work too.

ButtonMoonLoon Tue 23-Jul-19 21:48:39

My daughter has a sensory light in her bedroom which is on a timer and dims gradually. She also has an echo dot which we use to play music and stories through the audible app. She loves listening to a bedtime meditation or classical lullabies which help her to settle off to sleep.

zeromango Tue 23-Jul-19 22:55:13

It's book, cuddle, bum change, teeth brush, and then we put on white noise teddy and she's off!

Rodent01 Tue 23-Jul-19 23:40:16

Routine, routine, routine. If they know what’s happening, they know what to do.

No child is the same, so what works for 1, won’t necessarily work for another, you have to find your and their way to make it work.

(Plus in DD2’s case, having brown bunny and when she’s under the weather, me lying in the doorway with just my feet visible to her so she knows I’m there!)

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 24-Jul-19 09:50:19

Nothing new but it's a bath, brush teeth, story and a chat about the day, big cuddle then lights out

ohdannyboy Wed 24-Jul-19 10:09:22

I use a 'white noise' sleep toy, `DS1 has had it for a couple of years, it worked a trick when he was a baby, I am negotiating a withdrawal now as he is such an active boy he does not need to use it, I would highly recommend one to anyone with a restless baby.

jacqui5366 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:44:58

A pair of dinosaur blackout blinds to make the room dark and 'sleepy' to quote DS2, also the 'blanky' a baby blanket which is soft comfortable and has a 'warm fuzzy' smell to help drift off into dreams. For me - whatever works stick with it.

TrySinging Wed 24-Jul-19 15:32:00

We have a routine of eating together when DH comes home and then the DC go upstairs to have a bath/shower and they're not allowed back down. DD 6 gets a story and the others can read/go on gadgets for a bit. I'd rather they weren't using gadgets in the evening, but it's a battle I'm not going to win.

foxessocks Wed 24-Jul-19 16:00:19

Definitely routine, and they know that once it's bed time that's it, no coming back downstairs! Last wee before bed so no need to keep getting up and a drink in their room if needed. Two stories which they don't get until they are totally ready for bed!

Byrdie Wed 24-Jul-19 16:49:08

We swear by white noise then, as they get older, podcasts of bedtime stories helps massively. Roald dahl audio books are good too - but the ones where they are read by him as something about his voice sends them to sleep!

NewSchoolNewName Wed 24-Jul-19 17:17:40

We stick to our bedtime routine.

Bath, story, milk, teeth brushing and then tucked up in bed with their favourite teddy.

I prefer to avoid TV straight before bed as it tends to make my DC too bouncy to settle down to sleep well.

biffyboom Wed 24-Jul-19 19:33:11

My 5 year old has a good routine when I put him to bed, I get him to read to me, then I read to him. Then it's light off, and I stay with him till he falls asleep, usually 5 minutes.
I really struggle to get my 2 year old to sleep though, and dh usually gets her to sleep pretty fast. He struggles with the 5 year old. So it's pretty well balanced for us.
Secretly, I think we bore them to sleep as 2 year old wants me at bed time, and 5 year old wants dh really blush

Scoleah Wed 24-Jul-19 19:51:32

We Have always gone up to bed the Same time.
Started when he was in the Chicco next 2 me from birth.
Then when he was around 18months we changed to a cotbed next to our bed for 2 weeks before we transitioned into his own room, to save him wondering where we were whilst he was getting used to his own bed.

Then I think he got So used to the routine of him going to bed & thinking we had gone too he's always gone straight down!
He goes at 6pm-8am now and has done since transitioning to His cot.
(He's 3 now)

Routine is Vital I think!

Onlyahalfbottle Wed 24-Jul-19 20:05:09

DS was difficult to get into a routine but now we have one we stick to it! Bath, pyjamas, teeth then into bed with his two favourite toys, story and lights out. Then sometimes putting him back in bed when he's escaped to play with his trains!

boptanana Wed 24-Jul-19 22:59:47

If I knew I would tell you! We have tried everything over the last few years and nothing has worked confused

OnlyToWin Wed 24-Jul-19 23:56:31

DD1 was a brilliant sleeper and we had a routine for naps etc. She also sucked her thumb which helped, but she really was an incredible sleeper. I thought it must have been my marvellous parenting, then DD2 arrived and although we persisted with the routine it turned out that getting a good sleeper is a bit of the luck of the draw!!

Lindy2 Thu 25-Jul-19 03:29:12

We have a routine.
Stories followed by cuddles and then sleep.
If they are struggling to settle we have "magic sleep cream" which is a lavender hand cream that gets rubbed on their feet. If they have a cough or cold we use a menthol vapour rub.
It works well.

Montydoo Thu 25-Jul-19 07:23:46

We have a fixed routine which I TRY to stick to, if it's fine outdoors, we go for a walk, either in the pram on foot, and as I live in a semi rural location there are lots of farm animals to look at and fresh air to breathe in. It's bath at 7, a drink of warm milk and bed for 8. I have a dyson fan in the bedrooms (sorry about the advertising - but they are the coolest quietest fans - and worth the investment), so the environment is important too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »