Talk

Advanced search

Recognise your fellow Mumsnetters by nominating your favourite Mumsnet user to win Silent Pool gin

(570 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:12:42

To tie in with their new #FortheSpirited campaign, Silent Pool Gin is on a quest to unearth the UK’s most spirited characters – and the search starts right here. For two months, the award-winning distillers will be celebrating the spirit of Mumsnet by getting you to nominate the users who you think show the most – well – spirit. They'll be giving one bottle of gin per week to a winning Mumsnet user. In addition, if your nominee wins, you'll also receive a shopping voucher worth £30..

Here’s what Silent Pool Gin have to say:
“For the spirited. Three small words that capture the essence of Silent Pool Gin. It represents our independent mindset and our uncompromising commitment to producing a gin with a refreshingly individual character.

For the spirited is about following your own path. Embracing life and living for the best things it has to offer. It’s about doing something kind, inspiring, creative, different. Could be finally handing in your notice, booking that round-the-world trip, starting that new Japanese course or even just deciding to make your very first post on AIBU.

Whatever your version of ‘spirited' is, we applaud you. However, applause only gets you so far, so to officially recognise the wonderful achievements of the Mumsnet community, we are launching the Silent Pool Gin For the Spirited award. Each week, one lucky Mumsnet member will be recognised as a kindred spirit and will win one bottle of Silent Pool Gin.

Also we’d love to hear your spirited stories so please tag us in at #forthespirited @silentpoolgin

There's no such thing as a best Mumsnet user but you probably have your favourite(s). Is there someone: Whose posts you always read? Who brightens your days and whose views keep you glued to the screen? Who has given you priceless advice, yet you wouldn't know from Adam in real life?

Every week for two months, Silent Pool will be giving the #FortheSpirited award to one lucky Mumsnet user – with the prize of a bottle of gin. Simply nominate your favourite Mumsnet user on the discussion thread and they'll be in with a chance of winning. In turn, if your nominee wins, you'll also receive a £30 voucher. Win, win (gin) gin.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

[EDITED BY MNHQ TO INCLUDE FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT THE DESPATCH OF PRIZES]

Terms and conditions of prize draw:
Activity specific T&Cs: Mumsnet will run a random prize draw once per week. The nominees within the winning entries will be contacted via email or PM to inform them of the win, and to ask if they would like to receive the prize. A non-alcoholic prize will also be available if desired. To receive an alcoholic prize, nominees will need to provide a copy of photographic ID to Mumsnet (eg a photograph of a passport or driving licence), as well as a physical name and address for the prize to be dispatched to. The name and address will be shared with Silent Pool Gin, with the user's permission. Mumsnet will dispose of this information within one week of users' receipt of the prize. Posters of the winning entries will be emailed by Mumsnet to inform them of the win, and to give them the opportunity to choose the voucher they would like. Their name and email address, with the user's permission, will be shared with Mumsnet's voucher fulfilment company for the purposes of ordering the voucher. Voucher winner's details will be retained for audit purposes. Winner's details will be used for the purpose of the prize draw and prize delivery only, and not for any other marketing purpose. Standard Mumsnet T&Cs can be found here.

[POST EDITED BY MNHQ to remove language around 'courage' and 'bravery']

AuntieStella Fri 12-Jul-19 15:51:54

Easy - TwitterQueen1

A lovely poster and going through quite a tough time at the moment

MrsGaryLightbody Fri 12-Jul-19 15:58:53

Easy peasy has to be @Anyfucker cos in real life I've started to think what would AF do gin

00100001 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:13:24

well, I nominate @00100001

She's so witty and pretty and kind...

serenadoundy Fri 12-Jul-19 16:24:10

@pigletjohn

Called on for practical help by many grin

TheQueef Fri 12-Jul-19 16:29:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheFatberg Fri 12-Jul-19 16:33:05

I must nominate CherryPavlova as her posts never fail to make me smile.

joanofbarc Fri 12-Jul-19 16:37:29

Startoftheyear2019 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:50:04

I'd like to nominate @cricketmum84 as she did a great job on a recent weight loss thread and this would be a lovely way to thank her!

FamilyOfAliens Fri 12-Jul-19 17:06:02

I’d like to nominate @Datun for her wisdom and clarity.

CanoeDoYouThinkYouAre Fri 12-Jul-19 17:06:16

I have always been in awe of Sadwidow and her dedication to posters who are struggling.

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 12-Jul-19 17:06:39

pigletjohn for literally helping everyone.

joanofbarc Fri 12-Jul-19 17:10:39

I haven’t seen sadwidow for ages!

LimitIsUp Fri 12-Jul-19 17:14:07

I agree with Pigletjohn

CharityDingle Fri 12-Jul-19 17:23:11

Only UK posters?

SpartacusAutisticusAHF Fri 12-Jul-19 17:24:07

I would have loved to nominate Maryz, who made an immense contribution to MN over many years, particularly in relation to SNs and the teenage years, supporting so many mums and improving so many lives, but sadly she was banned.

joanofbarc Fri 12-Jul-19 17:27:10

A sad loss.

joanofbarc Fri 12-Jul-19 17:29:59

Paxillin is lovely.

JaimeBronde Fri 12-Jul-19 17:31:16

I'd like to nominate @Iambuffy from the Perfumistas threads on style & beauty.
She's very friendly & knowledge & she makes me smile.
Though the main reason I nominated her is because she's having a bit of a hard time at the moment as her kitchen caught fire & the house could have gone up through the stupidity of tradesman.
I think she really could do with the gin.

LoseLooseLucy Fri 12-Jul-19 17:33:48

BertrandRussell, for being a great source of knowledge and opinion.

ReganSomerset Fri 12-Jul-19 17:33:48

I nominate mathanxiety.

joanofbarc Fri 12-Jul-19 17:36:49

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 12-Jul-19 17:37:20

@OhYouBadBadKitten for her weatherwatching.

twattymctwatterson Fri 12-Jul-19 17:39:33

Anyfucker for me. Gives great advice, no nonsense approach and seems to really care about getting women out of shitty relationships

FlaviaAlbia Fri 12-Jul-19 17:40:33

@Datun for her patience and calm logic

dontdoxmeeither Fri 12-Jul-19 17:45:14

I vote @datun too. Her (and other people's) posts have made me see the importance of current issues surrounding women/biological females. @datun stands out for me for putting it in a way I can understand.

TheFatberg Fri 12-Jul-19 17:45:55

Of course she makes me smile joanofbarc as well as teaching me all about etiquette and class by example.

Moltenpink Fri 12-Jul-19 17:48:44

@Reastie for the hundreds of pounds she has saved me by setting up the Xmas bargain threads every year.

HettySunshine Fri 12-Jul-19 18:01:11

I would like to nominate awesmum she is an absolutely amazing woman and deserves to be rewarded.

ILoveJigsaws Fri 12-Jul-19 18:11:13

RockysMa Fri 12-Jul-19 18:39:33

@thighofrelief101 for her mad/funny/crazy advice clinics grin

GCAcademic Fri 12-Jul-19 18:45:52

Another vote for Datun.

zenasfuck Fri 12-Jul-19 18:48:06

I'd like to nominate @bitoffun because she's awesome, lovely, kind and just a beautiful person

Cooroo Fri 12-Jul-19 18:54:37

Datun for her clear insight and humanity.

janetheimpaler Fri 12-Jul-19 19:05:14

I'm a big fan of anyfucker but have to nominate Across the Pond, she is so humane and wise.

FrederickAlgernonTrotteville Fri 12-Jul-19 19:10:58

AnyFucker

Binglebong Fri 12-Jul-19 19:14:44

Datun, always so clear and I have no idea how she keeps her temper under such provocation sometimes!

RandomNameChange415 Fri 12-Jul-19 19:15:21

I’m rubbish at remembering names, but NobleGiraffe rescued me in the middle of GCSE hell when I’d completely forgotten what circle theorem DD needed so I’d go for her.

RantyAnty Fri 12-Jul-19 19:15:23

Anyfucker

BitOfFun Fri 12-Jul-19 19:18:00

Aww @zenasfuck, you'll make me cry blush. Although you are clearly an outstanding person of great judgement, I am going to have to nominate Knotty and Pistey for their amazing work with Woolly Hugs- they coordinate so many lovely mumsnetters to knit and crochet blanket squares to bring comfort to MNers who are bereaved or seriously ill.

Oh, and I've heard a rumour that they are basically powered by gin, so I know they'd appreciate the prize grin

DearPrudence Fri 12-Jul-19 19:22:48

@BIWI for helping so many people in the low-carb bootcamp.

Iovestruck Fri 12-Jul-19 19:28:07

*@kateandme*. Very often, I'll read an especially nice/ thoughtful post, look at the name of the poster and it's her. smile

MadisonAvenue Fri 12-Jul-19 19:29:41

I'm going to nominate KnottyandPistey

HoneysuckIejasmine Fri 12-Jul-19 19:33:07

RedToothBrush for her wonderfully curated Westminsterenders threads.

And KnottyandPistey, obviously.

HavelockVetinari Fri 12-Jul-19 19:34:53

@MrsTerryPratchett for being sane, practical and kind at all times.

SausageEggAndSpam Fri 12-Jul-19 19:40:21

I only remember the names of users I wish to avoid though smile

I've heard about this @AnyFucker and I ought to go look them up

Schmoozer Fri 12-Jul-19 19:43:38

Anyfucker every time for me !!!!
Straight concise good sense

endofthelinefinally Fri 12-Jul-19 19:47:27

So many wonderful people on MN. I too would nominate KnottyandPistey (who are actually two people), for their fantastic work. I am a recipient of a woolly hug in memory of my late DS. It comforts me every day and is one of my most treasured possessions.

PseudocideBlonde Fri 12-Jul-19 19:50:27

LucindaE and her Horrors of hyperemesis threads. They were such a support when I needed them and she does it day in day out

BearWoman Fri 12-Jul-19 19:54:50

Sunshineandflipflops for her honesty, unapologetic vulnerability and integrity

birdsdestiny Fri 12-Jul-19 19:58:14

Datun for remaining calm and articulate under almost impossible circumstances, for the first time today I saw her get a little crossgrin, it was also a joy to behold.
Tinselangel - the support and care she demonstrates on the transwidows thread is just amazing.

Minkies11 Fri 12-Jul-19 20:03:33

awesmum for digging deep and coming out the other side. Inspirational

TheStakeIsNotThePower Fri 12-Jul-19 20:07:20

Stealthpolarbear for being kind, funny, intelligent and generally lovely.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 12-Jul-19 20:07:22

Awww thanks @HavelockVetinari

I shall nominate right on back (also for having anTerry-inspired name grin)

JoyceDivision Fri 12-Jul-19 20:07:55

Pigletjohn for answering any call for help with really good advice

DeRigueurMortis Fri 12-Jul-19 20:18:48

Datun and TwitterQueen

DeRigueurMortis Fri 12-Jul-19 20:21:19

Oh and RedToothBrush for her amazing politics threads.

TacCat49 Fri 12-Jul-19 20:21:45

There are 2 nominations I would like to put forward. AttilaTheMeerkat and HellsbellsMelons. Both these posters offer a lot of practicable solutions, show empathy and have a sensible approach to the problems presented.
They willingly share their knowledge and life experiences and I always look forward to their posts.

weebarra Fri 12-Jul-19 20:22:33

The lovely TwitterQueen

TinselAngel Fri 12-Jul-19 20:26:53

Thank you @birdsdestiny you're very kind x

Isatis Fri 12-Jul-19 20:31:46

Pigletjohn.

Chovihano Fri 12-Jul-19 20:33:58

NobleGiraffe

Even as a busy teacher still finds time to help us on here. A fountain of knowledge and such a great source of support.

iVampire Fri 12-Jul-19 20:34:36

Another vote for the utterly lovely @TwitterQueen1

The Lacies have been so important to me in the last couple of years, and I think all MNetters who have themselves had a brush with cancer are really glad that long-running thread is there.

Sadly, we have lost 3 much loved and much valued posters this year. TQ held us together during that. She’s also doing sterling work in raising awareness of ovarian cancer, as well as just being a lovely poster.

Leslie purple and aimlessly are no longer with us. But I make a fair punt they’d vote for her too. For all of us

glitterball glitterball glitterball

Wavingwhiledrowning Fri 12-Jul-19 20:36:39

Twitterqueen, StealthPolarBear, PigletJohn. Always on hand, always great advice. MN should be paying them! And I quote like a dash of WorraLiberty to add a bit of balance to a thread and change its tack once in a while.

EmpressLesbianInChair Fri 12-Jul-19 20:37:47

TheBewilderness for her clear thinking and her Rules of Misogyny. But can we nominate banned posters?

dawnofthedred Fri 12-Jul-19 20:42:49

It's very hard to say just one!

I always feel cheered when I see StealthPolarBear on a thread. I'm sure there are many other lovelies lurking under a nc.

fedupntired Fri 12-Jul-19 20:46:27

twitterqueen1

2018SoFarSoGreat Fri 12-Jul-19 20:50:33

I vote for Twitterqueen too. Such a contributor to MN.

AnyFucker never lets us down. Right.To.The.Point. Always.

So many lovely MNers to be grateful for though, it is difficult to choose!

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 12-Jul-19 20:54:44

KnottyandPistey for me too.

SimplySteveRedux Fri 12-Jul-19 21:14:02

@Attilathemeerkat

Every present on the Stately Homes threads, and Relationships board, her selflessness in the time she spends helping people is incredible. An absolute idol.

LuckyLou7 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:15:06

KnottyandPistey deserve to win gin for all the comfort and compassion they show to bereaved posters and their families. Woolly hugs is a wonderful part of Mumsnet and they deserve recognition.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jul-19 21:16:53

I'd like to nominate RedToothBrush for her contributions of sanity.

BristolMum96 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:18:25

I nominate thatjew92

wheresmymojo Fri 12-Jul-19 21:24:31

I would also like to nominate RedToothBrush for tirelessly hosting the best insight into politics I've been able to find on the interwebs on the Westministenders threads.

Also PigletJohn for the amount of help and advice he's given to so many posters. He gets summoned to threads and always pops in without complaining about the millions of @ notification emails he must get!

DeRigueurMortis Fri 12-Jul-19 21:24:43

I'd nominate iVampire just for that brilliant post about the Lacies alone glitterball

rumred Fri 12-Jul-19 21:25:48

anyfucker and solidgoldbrass

kateandme Fri 12-Jul-19 21:39:20

Iovestruck you wonderful bugger youblushgrin that's got to be the loveliest thing ever. I feel pathetically emotional thank you so much

kateandme Fri 12-Jul-19 21:42:19

I have so many. That's a really bad cop out but I do.i have so many that I think: that's hilarious, that's them. Or oh that's so sweet, I know it'll be them. Or often think I wish so and so would come along because they will say the right thing and put it straight. but I can't for the life of me think of them right now! But looking at the other posters I think they've been mentioned. So sorry if it's you but you're wonderful anyway if that helps.confused

MrsFrTedCrilly Fri 12-Jul-19 21:50:33

I’d like to nominate DadDadDad from the Archers thread and the very lovely BertrandRussell as well.
Pity it’s not scruff gin gingrin

damnson Fri 12-Jul-19 22:30:49

@biwi for me. Lifechanging

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jul-19 22:32:22

I want to be greedy and nominate 3 blush

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe, Paxillin and Bluntness100

All sensible posters who often inject a bit of sanity into threads that have gone off on a Mumsnet pearl clutching tangent.

Plus, the 3 of them look like they could do with a good drink of gin grin gin

DrDentyst Fri 12-Jul-19 22:55:29

Well hayleyfromaui was my favourite but I believe she was a troll......

Notablecharacter Fri 12-Jul-19 23:33:46

WaterOffaDucksCrack Fri 12-Jul-19 23:58:15

@TheFormidableMrsC for sharing her story and unknowingly giving me strength.

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Jul-19 23:59:16

Horses for courses Notable

Have you nominated anyone?

Notablecharacter Sat 13-Jul-19 00:05:13

CharityDingle Sat 13-Jul-19 00:06:39

AnyFucker. Posts are always straightforward and to the point. Voice of reason, IMO.

WorraLiberty Sat 13-Jul-19 00:10:57

Ahh the 'hard of thinking' are probably just as confused as I was.

"What happened to beertrixpotter, I always liked her."

That's not exactly a nomination is it? wink

Notablecharacter Sat 13-Jul-19 00:13:59

Toorahtoorahaye Sat 13-Jul-19 00:14:01

MrsDevere or Fabbychic

WorraLiberty Sat 13-Jul-19 00:30:32

Oh ok < totally lost > grin

JaimeBronde Sat 13-Jul-19 00:50:12

Also @Frownette because she makes me laugh & as she's not having the best time of it, I think the gin would help cheer her up.
And I also second @RedToothbrush as she understood how it felt when a family member was caught up in an act of terrorism. (Said family member is ok)

Iambuffy & Frownette & RedToothbrush deserve to win.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 13-Jul-19 01:12:48

Can I shove in StatisticallyChallenged and Mrs Presley?

First because she is incredible during elections. Actually allowed me to go to bed because she called it early Second because her sharing of her twin's story means many parents stick with reins when they wouldn't. Her dreadful loss means some children are probably alive today.

Nannamia Sat 13-Jul-19 03:20:24

Anyfucker

NiteWotcha Sat 13-Jul-19 05:57:54

My fellow NightWatchers smile

@ElGuardiandenoche
@ANightWatcher
@WatcherOfTheNight
@EineKleineNachtwatcher

Bignicetree Sat 13-Jul-19 06:24:30

This is weird.
We don't know anyone's relationship with alcohol.

00100001 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:47:55

Tbh I'm a bit confused as to why MNHQ is running a "who's your favourite MNer" thread. When previously MNHQ have deleted threads like that, as it's not in 'the spirit' confused

00100001 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:48:31

I also nominate @0010001, she's great

RageAgainstTheVendingMachine Sat 13-Jul-19 07:07:48

Ha! This is excellent. Tis the ultimate Mumsnet Royalty Thread crown
at some point I will wander off to MN trolls and nontrolls to see what they make of it all
It is weird I agree big, we could be nominating alcoholics for all I know (am not about to cross reference in the dry thread, power to you all though, sorry that sounded crass not meant to be)
So...drum roll, I would like to nominate three posters who may or may not drink gin, I have no blinking idea.

@BitOfFun because I know she is having a challenging time health wise and I would like to cheer her up also I think she has been on here for years (way to make you feel old Bof) under the same name so is one of the last of the names I remember from when I first joined way back when. Whilst I don't know her personally I see some names I 'know' and think of them fondly. I hope Bof won't mind me saying that cancer is a bitch and if a gift of gin takes the edge off, you go for it lady. x

Secondly I would like to nominate @Stilllivinginazoo for setting up the living with/caring for children with anxiety threads. She's a good 'un who could also use a pick me up and I am grateful that posters like her exist on MN. Same goes for all the unsung heroes who help and give advice on the special needs threads x

Thirdly having seen she is coming to the end of part 48 last night I will nominate @CazzieCatsRock for her services to Music Word Association Games. 48 000 song titles to idle away the time takes some doing...I admire both the commitment and the fact she has always made new people welcome so it doesn't feel like a quiche. (I haven't played in ages but that's beside the point, I could play now if I wanted to and know she'd still welcome me). So gin for a 50th anniversary wag thread coming to a mumsnet near you soon seems appropriate x

crown Hats crowns off to you all !

30under Sat 13-Jul-19 07:08:37

stealthpolarbear I look at her posts and wonder if I wrote that - somehow she always says what I'm thinking. If I lurk more than post on MN it's because stealth has said it already!

Honorable mentions to AnyFucker and solidgoldbrass though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »