Talk

Advanced search

Share your tips for feeding a family with different dietary requirements with Flora - £300 voucher to be won

(259 Posts)
AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:31:09

Cooking a meal for the family can be hard at the best of times, so having family members with different dietary requirements can throw an extra spanner in the works. Whether it’s because of allergies and intolerances, or due to environmental, ethical or health concerns, we know that a lot of households have to think and prepare carefully to make sure their mealtimes cater to everyone around the table.

Because we think mealtimes can be tricky when you have to cater to different dietary requirements for family members, Flora would like to hear about your experiences and how you navigate through this.

Here’s what Flora has to say: “Health and wellbeing has never been so important to consumers, people care more about what goes into the products they are feeding themselves and their families, but they are not prepared to compromise on taste – and they shouldn’t have to. With a great new recipe making FLORA more delicious than ever, our new 100% Plant Goodness range can be enjoyed by the whole family.”

How does your family cater for those who have different dietary requirements when it comes to mealtimes? How can your family make sure everyone’s requirements are met without spending too much extra time, money, or effort on preparation? Has your family adapted well to managing emerging dietary requirements, or have there been any hiccups on the way?

Whatever your tips and tricks are on making these mealtimes a success, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where 1 MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

MadCatLadypuss Sun 06-Oct-19 18:52:25

We like to have the same base meal eg pasta or jacket potato but different toppings/ additions. It saves time and we can all eat together.

Visioncroquet Fri 04-Oct-19 17:50:15

To be opened minded and try new and different things.

GetKnitted Fri 13-Sep-19 23:02:21

new dietary requirement for our house is softer foods to accommodate a new fixed brace for DS1. Everyone is having the same food so that he doesn't feel that he is missing out.

purpleclaire Tue 10-Sep-19 17:19:43

With my children doing different activities and my husband often working late, we only eat dinner together as a family 2 or 3 times a week. My children are both good eaters, but both can be picky - my daughter likes most veg, but not salad, whereas my son likes most veg and salad, but will not eat eggs. Roast dinners, chicken, fish all go down well and I usually serve plenty of veg, salad and rice, so no-one goes hungry.

procrastinatergeneral Thu 05-Sep-19 17:40:18

There are no big problems in the immediate family, but at family gatherings food is a nightmare- several vegetarians, a couple of teens who can’t decide 😂, luckily no obsessive carnivores, a coeliac, a diet controlled diabetic, a low-fat medical diet and toddlers. We often do a kind of pick and mix buffet, but everyone, even children, are well-trained on avoiding cross-contamination

PorridgeAgainAbney Sat 03-Aug-19 22:09:20

DS has several food allergies. At first it was extremely daunting and bloody exhausting because I was always making one meal for us and an alternative for him. I’ve really learned a lot about cooking in the last few years though and now most meals are the same for all of us (and actually taste nice), and I batch cook cakes and biscuits for the freezer so there is always a wide range of treats available.

I try to make as much food from scratch as possible because the high price of allergy free food can be a struggle. People take the piss out of me to for bulk buying but when something allergy friendly is on offer I pretty much buy as much as I can fit in the cupboards because even discounted it will still be more than the mainstream version.

I also find that if I assume we can’t eat out then it’s less stressful. We take food out with us all the time. I know that things are supposedly getting better but we’ve had so many cock ups in restaurants (big chains that bang on about being stringent and allergy friendly) that have resulted in DS being really ill (I consider us lucky that his allergies ‘only’ result in D&V and eczema), that we just take enough to feed an army so we know we’ll never go hungry smile.

purplepandas Sat 03-Aug-19 08:32:16

Agree about multiple versions. When the wider family we have two veggies, one coeliac and a couple are trying to eat a low fat diet. It's being organised and finding a base meal that most of us can eat most of and then doing some smaller alternatives.

ginger179 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:54:44

We have vegetarian and lactose free diets included in our family and I have to say we don't find it difficult at all really these days. All meals are cooked vegetarian friendly with any meat cooked separately & other family members can add meat if they want, and we just use lactose free milk & lactose free dairy products now so the whole family benefits really. It can be a little more expensive but at least we are all healthy & happy!

cathryn1 Mon 29-Jul-19 20:00:15

like to cook from scratch then freeze for mid week cooking when we are both working full time. Vegtables that can be used in other meals if not eaten are always a bonus

hannahlw85 Mon 29-Jul-19 18:55:17

Thankfully there's no allergies or severe dietary issues to think about, there is a couple of intolerances but that's easy to get around. I tend to batch cook to make it easier and we all eat the same thing so on the whole any dietary requirements are easy.

Mariobug25 Mon 29-Jul-19 18:52:59

I’m trying to cut out gluten as I think it’s causing me tummy ache. To be honest my family don’t like gluten free so I try to make meals were I can sub gluten free products easily, such as pasta dishes. I just pop on a small pan of pasta for myself and it’s fine! I don’t have to make completely separate meals. The internet is a godsend for finding meals that can be made gluten free easily enough.

thenettyprofessor Mon 29-Jul-19 17:38:13

My daughter is lactose intolerant. So i make everything that we eat together suitable for her, so nobody misses out. We use flora a lot for baking it is really amazing in cakes.

tishist Mon 29-Jul-19 16:44:12

Lots of meal planning and making meals in bulk could help, to use on a rota basis.

hann24 Mon 29-Jul-19 11:18:04

I'm a big fan of batch cooking, that way there are always things available in the freezer to satisfy everyone's tastes.

We have some GF family and friends - whenever they visit I try to cook meals that are naturally gluten free (eg. Curry with rice or Meat and potato based dishes) and steer clear of products that are specifically made without gluten. It's amazing how many recipes are GF when you think about it.

rantinggran Mon 29-Jul-19 10:34:44

meal planning is the key, plan meals write shopping list and stick to it, quite often meals can be made with ingredients the person with requirements need, but can be served to the whole family, I always use lactos free products when cooking,as required by my daughter and the rest of the family just eat blissfully unaware smile

JulieAlderson Mon 29-Jul-19 00:13:12

My daughter is vegetarian, but we aren't, so I make sure I always have a freezer drawer full of vegetarian foods, and some fresh vegetables, so that she can have a vegetarian meal if we're having meat.

JayJay1874 Mon 29-Jul-19 00:07:52

Batch cooking, DIY assembly foods like wraps so they can pick and add the bits that are ok for them and being planned and organised.

baconbap Sun 28-Jul-19 22:04:41

Gluten-free husband , so we've changed to buckwheat pasta. I have a gluteny area of the kitchen and we have separate toasters and spread.

HelenSw4les Sun 28-Jul-19 22:02:30

I have two children and one has an allergy so I have to be very careful; I therefore avoid all ingredients that could be harmful to my older son and it ensures all the meals I cook are safe. I also ensure there are no food products in my home that contain any ingredients that would be harmful to my son in case another person is caring for them and cooks for them inadvertently, ie grandma.

Jocelynne123 Sun 28-Jul-19 20:01:15

My daughter cannot eat gluten but I find it quite easy to cater for everyone in the house, we eat quite a healthy diet so lots of meals are naturally gluten free. Any other meals I make using gluten free products. It helps my daughter not to feel different. The only different thing we might eat is bread because that can be quite expensive. I enjoy cooking so experimenting with new meals is enjoyable. Xx

cluckyhen Sun 28-Jul-19 18:57:17

We make sure that we have a meal planner for the week ahead so that we know what we have and we also batch cook so that should something happen we have home made goodness to come from the freezer.

michael888 Sun 28-Jul-19 18:50:49

We usually prepare a "master" dish and then tailor it to individual dietary needs. This works for us.

Borderkitt Sun 28-Jul-19 17:44:55

My oldest daughter can't eat gluten or dairy, I find it safer to cook everything from scratch and for the whole family to have the same meal, takes the risk of cross contamination away too

MillyVanilli222 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:12:34

I'm veggie and my partner isn't, so we often either make veggie meals and sometimes he'll cook some meat seperately to go on the side. I think finding go-to easy recipes using ingredients that suit all is a great idea - and many brands are now offering dietary adjusted versions of their products which is brilliant.

SylvanianFrenemies Sun 28-Jul-19 12:58:10

Not cooking lots of separate meals is best from a sanity point of view. It's easier to make 80% of the meal the same and then add in any extras.

DD1 has cows milk protein allergy so I use oat milk, soya ice cream, dairy free spread etc for everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »