Talk

Advanced search

Share your tips for feeding a family with different dietary requirements with Flora - £300 voucher to be won

(259 Posts)
jitterbugintomybrain Mon 08-Jul-19 16:30:57

I refuse to cook different meals so it's either what I make or nothing. My kids eat most things now. The older 2 will cook for themselves now and again.

BristolMum96 Mon 08-Jul-19 14:37:37

Our household has one vegetarian and one who is gluten and dairy free. All meals are vegetarian, gluten and dairy free. Everyone eats the same. Simple as that.

wellingtonsandwaffles Mon 08-Jul-19 12:30:14

We all eat a diet that is free of things DS is allergic to, unless we’re out at a restaurant where there’s no cross contamination. It’s easier just not to have the allergy foods in the house.

jacqui5366 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:15:28

How does your family cater for those who have different dietary requirements when it comes to mealtimes?

I try to be inclusive, so plan my mealtimes on Friday nights, and shop Saturday morning for a Monday delivery, After keeping a food diary, I found my DS2 has developed a lactose intolerance, so almond milk is replaced by cows milk for him,

How can your family make sure everyone’s requirements are met without spending too much extra time, money, or effort on preparation?

I cook dairy free lasagne, mac n cheese and make my own mini pizza with diary free cheese (it's not as bad as it sounds). It does take a little more time, cost a little more, but there are no more tummy aches or toilet issues.

Has your family adapted well to managing emerging dietary requirements, or have there been any hiccups on the way?

As the intolerance developed (or got worse over time) it has been a gradual process into dairy free -the only hiccups are eating out - it can be very stressful finding places to eat (hurray for Pizza Hut having vegan and dairy free pizza)

pushchairprincess Mon 08-Jul-19 12:06:15

My DH is a celiac, so we mainly eat a gluten free diet, my DS 1 and 2 have not had a a tTG-IgA test to see if they are likely to be intolerant. My tips are do your on-line research, there is far more you can eat than cannot, and gluten free pastas are common place in the supermarket. Soy flour bread is just fine, I invested in a breadmaker for that one - saves me ££££'s - another tip. Thank you for bringing intolerances to the table.

stucknoue Mon 08-Jul-19 11:55:30

Thinking about work arounds is key - rather than cooking a meat stew, I cook a fully vegan (and gluten free) dish and roast meat separately for instance. I make vegan pasta and fry pancetta separately to sprinkle in. We also use quorn sometimes for ease - it doesn't hurt us meat eaters to go without meat some nights. But I don't stress about it, I will give a ready meal or veggie option dish sometimes

JC4PMPLZ Mon 08-Jul-19 11:29:06

Lots of items - especially vegetables - a variety, some of which, if uneaten, can be used in packed lunches or in the next day's meal - so nothing goes to waste. Try to cook things that the majority will eat - and have leftovers in the fridge to improvise for others. Luckily we don't have too much divergence in my family. My DSis though has so many exclusions that sadly she just brings her own food pretty much, whenever we are together.

cornflakes5 Mon 08-Jul-19 09:58:21

Batching cooking is my saviour!

AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:31:09

Cooking a meal for the family can be hard at the best of times, so having family members with different dietary requirements can throw an extra spanner in the works. Whether it’s because of allergies and intolerances, or due to environmental, ethical or health concerns, we know that a lot of households have to think and prepare carefully to make sure their mealtimes cater to everyone around the table.

Because we think mealtimes can be tricky when you have to cater to different dietary requirements for family members, Flora would like to hear about your experiences and how you navigate through this.

Here’s what Flora has to say: “Health and wellbeing has never been so important to consumers, people care more about what goes into the products they are feeding themselves and their families, but they are not prepared to compromise on taste – and they shouldn’t have to. With a great new recipe making FLORA more delicious than ever, our new 100% Plant Goodness range can be enjoyed by the whole family.”

How does your family cater for those who have different dietary requirements when it comes to mealtimes? How can your family make sure everyone’s requirements are met without spending too much extra time, money, or effort on preparation? Has your family adapted well to managing emerging dietary requirements, or have there been any hiccups on the way?

Whatever your tips and tricks are on making these mealtimes a success, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where 1 MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »