Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk taboo topics with Modibodi - £300 voucher + £100 Modibodi voucher to be won

(307 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 30-Jun-19 14:54:22

There are many topics that are traditionally considered taboo - and whether that’s discussing your period, the menopause, money whether you have it or not, or topics like incontience or sex, talking about taboo topics can sometimes be helpful, and so Modibodi would like to hear about the ways you talk about taboo topics with your friends and family.

Here’s what Modibodi has to say: “Modibodi™ is modern, protective apparel, created for real women. real bodies. real leaks! We cater to give all bodies more confidence and comfort, and a more sustainable solution to disposable hygiene. Our founder and CEO, Kristy Chong, spent almost two years working scientists and designers, developing, and testing the patented Modifier Technology™ that makes up the super stylish leak-proof knickers into the Modibodi collection. We have a UK team and warehouse, with same day dispatch, so you can get your Modibodi quickly! Modibodi also gives back to women in need through their Give A Pair program.”

“Modibodi believes that making a positive impact should be as easy as changing the undies we wear and now your swimwear too. Along with our sister brand RED, which is period proof protective undies for tweens and teens, we want all women and young girls to feel confident and be leak free. If you don’t believe us, try them for yourself with a 30-day free trial.
Modibodi offers FREE shipping in the UK and Northern Ireland, and are currently offering Mumsnet users 12% off their first order with the code ‘mumstaboo’ on their site. Offer excludes packs, gift cards and sale items.”

How would you talk to your daughter about her period? Or educate your son on what happens to women during menstruation? Are continence or ‘leak’ issues something you feel like you can’t mention, or are there topics that you’d be too embarrassed to speak about outside of a doctors office? Do you find it difficult to talk about money with others, out of fear they’ll feel judged, or that they’ll judge you? Perhaps there’s some people in your life you’d talk about anything with, regardless of how taboo the topic?

However you discuss topics that are traditionally taboo, share a comment below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list) and one MNer will win a £100 Modibodi voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

PorridgeAgainAbney Sun 04-Aug-19 06:55:30

DS is 7 and knows I have periods but hasn’t been interested enough to ask what it means so I haven’t really expanded on the subject yet.

The only ‘taboo’ subject that has come up really has been death. He has had some relatives and a pet die over the past couple of years and it’s always been handled very openly: we’ve spoken about it, cried in front of him/with him and always encouraged questions so he knows he can ask anything.

I talk about different things with different friends: there’s one who is very difficult to talk to about emotional isssues but we’ve had frank conversations about periods and finances, but another is very impractical but was the best support ever to help me through PND and bereavement.

The only subject I’m worried about approaching with DS is drugs. I never did any when I was younger and I would sound like a total dinosaur if I attempted to talk about them, so I’ll need to start looking for advice about that at some point.

purplepandas Sat 03-Aug-19 08:30:37

Agree, have had the sex and period talk early on as it is so important to me in all honesty. Children should know and then being open hopefully reduces anxiety and shame (if anyone felt that).

MadCatLadypuss Thu 01-Aug-19 16:07:18

I talk to my DD about periods and puberty in a matter of fact way. she knows she can ask any questions she has and nothing is taboo or a silly question. DD is keen on recycling, she would welcome the chance to try period pants. Much greener than towels or tampons.

Goingovertosusanshouse Wed 31-Jul-19 15:15:15

My 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son know all about periods, not much choice when all three of us used to have to squeeze in toilet cubicles when out and about. I’m as honest as possible with any questions they have. I want them to open up to me so I have to be honest with them.

Byrdie Wed 24-Jul-19 17:04:51

I think it might be the opposite in our house to be honest. I'm constantly talking to my daughter, who is 11, about periods and how it might start and what to do and she's now started to tell me to be quiet. I'm very open about it and she knows she can talk to me about anything. I made a pack just in case she starts out and about! Full of pads, spare pants and baby wipes. She rolls her eyes at me quite a lot.

I love the idea of pants that contain periods rather than a pad / tampons etc and I definitely will be thinking about these for her as, at the moment, all I use is a menstrual cup. I'm not sure she's ready for that.

Mymindblown Wed 24-Jul-19 07:43:23

I have tried to be open with my daughter about topics which may be considered taboo. I bought her a book about growing up and puberty some while ago and she really enjoyed us reading it together a little bit at a time. Now that we've read the whole book I've let her keep it in her room so she can refer to it any time she wants.

One topic where I've tried to be really proactive is mental and emotional health; it's really great that there's some really good books about the topic for tweens and she has really taken to reading and doing activities about it. She's even asked for more mental health books which is brilliant as she realises that she can do something positive about building self esteem etc.

When the time comes I'm hoping we'll be able to openly discuss her period to help her manage it as well as possible.

I think to a large extent children learn embarrassment about these topics from adults so it's important not to show this when talking with children about such issues.

vaseandcandle Tue 23-Jul-19 11:30:13

If my DS (aged 6) asks about anything, I will tell him as honestly as I can. I try not to hide anything. While nothing is off limits, I do think that children need to learn that some topics should handled discreetly.

For me, its not a matter of a topic being taboo. Somethings I do not want to talk with others about. Most of my friendship and family circle don't need to hear about my finances, periods, medical issues.

MrTumblesSpottyHag Mon 22-Jul-19 21:31:40

I try to be very open and honest with my girls. DH does too and I make sure that we talk about periods and bodies when he's around so they hopefully won't be embarrassed talking to him about it. They're only 7 and 4 though so we'll see how that works out!
I help with personal care at work so there's very little that doesn't get discussed during my working day-
I work with young teens and we all tend to be very open and honest as appropriate. My last shift we discussed contraception in detail, followed by a few poo jokes 😄

m0jit0 Mon 22-Jul-19 19:39:09

I think the key is to be as open and honest as possible (in an age appropriate way). My parents were not very forth coming with information when I was a child and as a result I am more of a prude than I should be. I don't want my daughter to feel she cannot talk to me or ask me about periods or sex etc. I rather she talked to me rather than getting misinformation from outside sources (she's only 2 so probs a bit early to be worrying about this yet!)

powkin Mon 22-Jul-19 18:36:33

I find money a very difficult one, I’d rather people didn’t know my unusual circumstances. If MN discussions are anything to go by people can be quite judgemental about money! Although I think It’s very important to discuss with children so that they learn to budget and manage money and also understand the value it has (but that there’s also a lot more to life than having lots of it).

I am very open about all other bodily “taboos” probably to the embarrassment of some, but my job means talking to strangers about absolutely anything that’s an issue for them so nothing makes me blush or even blink anymore!

I hope I can bring up my daughter to be body confident and unashamed of her normal and natural biological processes.

daisyduke66 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:55:15

Nothing is taboo in our house! Talk is free and, thankfully, we all happily and openly discuss any issues without any embarrassment whatsoever - talking openly from a young age meant that my now teenagers are happy to openly discuss any issues at all. Much healthier!

HomeEdRocks18 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:50:00

I think honesty is the best policy when it comes to talking about 'taboo' subjects.
My children always know that I will answer them properly if they ask me a question. If I don't know the answer I say why don't we find it out together.
My boys are now teenagers but when they were 3 and 5 they discovered that tampons soaked in water were great for sticking to the bathroom ceiling! I had to tell them why they shouldn't waste them which led to the period talk. I have since told my daughter about periods. She is now 6 and wants to be a Doctor - when she noticed the blood she was upset and asked all about it.
Other subjects get talked about daily.

Riaalouisee1910 Sun 21-Jul-19 19:24:00

•I am expecting to talk to my children about menstruation when an appropriate age.
•Leak issues are something I would like to talk about with someone more, I have had leak issues since a child and i have not ever really spoken to it about it to anyone.
•Money, I suppose it is a private thing, i don't ask people. My dads pretty open about it.
•I can talk to my dad about absolutely anything and have no judgement

Mabelface Sun 21-Jul-19 16:27:41

Nothing has ever been taboo in this family. If a child is old enough to ask a question, they're old enough to get an age appropriate answer.

DowntonCrabby Sun 21-Jul-19 14:36:24

I’ve been very open with both of my DC all their lives about periods, in an age appropriate way.

When DD started her period she called me at work to let me know. We got her a goft bag of lots of different pads to try, a box of chocolates, some magazines and nail polish but otherwise didn’t treat it as a big deal.

I’m trying to encourage her to use reusable products now as I favour my mooncup and reusable pads, I don’t push it as she’s not too keen but hopefully in the future.

Somersetlady Sun 21-Jul-19 13:14:49

My boys are 3 and 5 they know mummy has blood that comes out of her and wears ‘nappies’ at certain times of the month.

Tampons actually fit in the nerf gun!

Iambuffy Sun 21-Jul-19 09:12:08

I promise there were paragraphs in that when I wrote it...

Iambuffy Sun 21-Jul-19 09:11:30

I started my periods aged 10.

My catholic mother never told me anything and school didnt teach it til you were 12 back then - and all girls were taken into a room - I guess they thought boys didnt need to know??

It was horrible. I thought I had some awful disease of the bottom - I no idea where the blood was coming from!

Pads were the nastiest, cheapest you could buy and did feel like actual towels in your pants.

I have 2 boys and have never hidden periods from them. I'm very proud that my 16 year old offered his female friend some painkillers and offered to run to the shops to get her some san pro when she unexpectedly started at school.

When I was at school boys would have made jokes, been really unkind. Perhaps things are changing for the better?

I love the idea of modi bodi - so simple! I still use pads - resuables - and tbh they still feel ungainly.

mollysmammy Sat 20-Jul-19 17:21:57

How would you talk to your daughter about her period?
My Daughter is only seven so I've mentioned it, in a way she would understand. She is very inquisitive and we had the conversation about whether men could marry men and women could marry women so I answered honestly and told her that they could as they may be attracted regardless of gender (put in a way she would understand). I am very honest and open and hope she knows she can ask me anything, and I will tell her, support her and be there to give advice for her.

Or educate your son on what happens to women during menstruation?
I don't have a son, but if I were to would start off with talking about the changes he will/ may experience as he gets older, and lead onto it from there in regards to the changes girls go through also.

Are continence or ‘leak’ issues something you feel like you can’t mention, or are there topics that you’d be too embarrassed to speak about outside of a doctors office?
After I had my Daughter, I started jogging and got on a trampoline a few years later, and yes, I had it. I talked to a close friend who after mentioning had gone through it to.

Do you find it difficult to talk about money with others, out of fear they’ll feel judged, or that they’ll judge you? Perhaps there’s some people in your life you’d talk about anything with, regardless of how taboo the topic?
Only family, and yes I do feel judged, despite working long hours sometimes it can be a struggle as a single Mum (I also feel judged about the fact I am a single Mum).

howisitgoingtoend Sat 20-Jul-19 14:31:28

🤞🤞🤞

Helsbells68 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:40:11

We tried to openly discuss all things as and when they came up, no topic was dismissed. They are all everyday events and facts of live that people need to be more open about otherwise they become an issue.

OnlyToWin Sat 20-Jul-19 12:39:51

Always been really open - always used correct language rather than euphemisms e.g period rather than “time of month”. Discussed mood changes and explained why I might be a bit more short tempered at certain points in my cycle, have also discussed this in relation to their friends e.g. encouraged them to cut their friends a bit of slack when their hormones might make them more irritable etc.

Nottheshrinkingcapgrandpa Sat 20-Jul-19 11:45:27

I grew up with periods not being talked about at all- my mother handed me a leaflet to read and that was that.

I am so much more open with my children-I want me children to feel like they can ask me anything. My 10 year old knows about periods and the youngest sees the sanpro in the bathroom and it’s just not a big deal in our house, unlike growing up when I was told to hide it so my siblings didn’t see it.

Hmumto3 Sat 20-Jul-19 10:30:28

Periods and leaky bladder have always been taboo subjects in our household as we never really discussed it growing up we just had to deal with it. However I intend to be more open with my daughter about periods and discuss it with her as soon as she hits teens. When I started as I had no knowledge I literally thought I was dying!!

Also with weak bladders I developed this after having my kids I always believed it was an old age thing but I was quite young when I got it. So goes to show anyone can get it. It is a bit embarrassing to talk about it but awareness should be encouraged.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Sat 20-Jul-19 09:54:20

My 1st period happened in junior school, I leaked through my uniform and remember vividly how ashamed and embarrassed (and confused) I was by it. I have never heard of Modibodi before but will definitely get some for my dd when she is a bit older, brilliant idea as first period can take most girls and women by surprise and it's reassuring that hopefully my dd 1st period won't have so many horrible memories that mine did. I still remember the shame of trying to tie my cardigan around my waist to hide the stain and the worry of bleeding through on to my chair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »