Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk taboo topics with Modibodi

(307 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 30-Jun-19 14:54:22

This activity is now closed

There are many topics that are traditionally considered taboo - and whether that’s discussing your period, the menopause, money whether you have it or not, or topics like incontience or sex, talking about taboo topics can sometimes be helpful, and so Modibodi would like to hear about the ways you talk about taboo topics with your friends and family.

Here’s what Modibodi has to say: “Modibodi™ is modern, protective apparel, created for real women. real bodies. real leaks! We cater to give all bodies more confidence and comfort, and a more sustainable solution to disposable hygiene. Our founder and CEO, Kristy Chong, spent almost two years working scientists and designers, developing, and testing the patented Modifier Technology™ that makes up the super stylish leak-proof knickers into the Modibodi collection. We have a UK team and warehouse, with same day dispatch, so you can get your Modibodi quickly! Modibodi also gives back to women in need through their Give A Pair program.”

“Modibodi believes that making a positive impact should be as easy as changing the undies we wear and now your swimwear too. Along with our sister brand RED, which is period proof protective undies for tweens and teens, we want all women and young girls to feel confident and be leak free. If you don’t believe us, try them for yourself with a 30-day free trial.
Modibodi offers FREE shipping in the UK and Northern Ireland, and are currently offering Mumsnet users 12% off their first order with the code ‘mumstaboo’ on their site. Offer excludes packs, gift cards and sale items.”

How would you talk to your daughter about her period? Or educate your son on what happens to women during menstruation? Are continence or ‘leak’ issues something you feel like you can’t mention, or are there topics that you’d be too embarrassed to speak about outside of a doctors office? Do you find it difficult to talk about money with others, out of fear they’ll feel judged, or that they’ll judge you? Perhaps there’s some people in your life you’d talk about anything with, regardless of how taboo the topic?

However you discuss topics that are traditionally taboo, share a comment below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list) and one MNer will win a £100 Modibodi voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

SillyMoomin Mon 01-Jul-19 16:41:06

I haven't "brought up" the subject with my daughter, rather, I preferred to just discuss it generally in everyday conversation whenever it was appropriate

"Oh mummy what are those white sticks for" (Taxpax) etc etc "Well DD, .....)

munchbunch12 Mon 01-Jul-19 16:43:24

When DD is about 8 or 9 I plan to give her a simple overview of what will be happening to her phsically and emotionally and pass her an age appropriate book. That's what my Mum did with me and it seemed to work OK!

Pimmsypimms Mon 01-Jul-19 16:47:06

We talk openly with our teenage daughter about her periods, so we don't treat it as a taboo subject. We've yet to talk about it with our son, but he's only 6, when he's older, it's definitely something we will discuss openly.

Asuwere Mon 01-Jul-19 17:10:39

I try not to have any taboo subjects in our house. I try to speakly openly and honestly about anything and will answer any questions that come up (inside or outside the house/family)

Youyoustolemyhat Mon 01-Jul-19 17:47:49

So positive to read all these comments! My 4yo is fascinated with all things biology and bodies, so we have lots of very frank discussions (and have had a few hairy moments where she's shared her knowledge enthusiastically in settings where it's not been 100% expected! 😂)

I think the tide is certainly turning on the taboo of menstruation - I remember my Mum explaining things to me in hushed tones and with a pained expression. I try to use positive language when I discuss it with my daughter.

Elllicam Mon 01-Jul-19 18:08:40

We are really open with our kids (DS 6, 4 and 2 plus baby). They know that I bleed once a month but it’s ok.

EskewedBeef Mon 01-Jul-19 18:15:24

I've always tried to be matter of fact about periods with my children, and recently on BBC Breakfast there was a lot of talk about the menopause so we had a chat over our cornflakes about what it is and how it will change me.

I was brought up in a household that didn't allow talk about anything that was even vaguely connected to sex/reproduction/sexuality, and it made for an unpleasant and difficult time when my very heavy periods we really affecting my life and health (I secretly went on the pill when I turned 16, and my life changed!). Even now I can't talk to my mum about my 'women's issues' hmm

Ribeebie Mon 01-Jul-19 18:26:56

I'm very open and talk about these things and intend to normalise periods with my son (he's only a baby at the moment though!) I think my family weren't comfortable doing this when I was younger and even me breastfeeding has made my parents uncomfortable hmm so I'm determined not to have that environment for my children.

misskatamari Mon 01-Jul-19 18:46:59

We're a pretty open family too and I don't really feel like anything is taboo to talk about really. I definitely hope to raise my two children (boy and girl), feeling confident in discussing body issues with us and not feeling embarrassed or ashamed of things which are completely natural

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 01-Jul-19 18:57:36

Periods are very matter of fact for us, it's the way I was brought up and it's the way I've brought DC up. It helped that I had two older sisters, but I grew up going to get mums pads for her when I was younger and seeing them in the bathroom, if I asked a question it was answered so I wasn't scared when I started my period.

My DC have seen me use pads, know they are in the bathroom and what they are for, and my eldest has recently started and was totally fine about it, her friend started before she did and was scared and didn't know what to do, my daughter helped her and then brought her to me after school (asking if she could come over) and spoke for her to begin with and then her friend relaxed and was able to talk, and we then told her mum together.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Mon 01-Jul-19 19:02:41

I have some continence issues - a bit of stress incontinence - basically I risk a little leak if I cough or sneeze, so I wear sanitary protection every day. I have invested in washable sanitary towels, but might have been interested in pants like Modibodi’s, if I had heard of them - and if they were available in my size.

I am impressed that you go up to size 26 - I will be honest, and say that surprised me - and that will greatly widen the number of women who can use your pants. I am a 32 in clothes, but a 24 in knickers (M&S) - so I don’t know if your undies would fit me.

Mitzicoco Mon 01-Jul-19 19:13:33

I wonder if I chickened out a bit. I bought my kids an age appropriate book (dd 10 and ds 8) and asked them to read it if they wanted to. I told them that if they had any questions about any of it then they should definitely ask me. I will bring this up again over the summer holidays with dd. I didn't get my period until I was 14 but I certainly don't want her to get a shock if it happens to her sooner.

Whyisitsodifficult Mon 01-Jul-19 20:53:05

These would be great for exercising, very occasionally my pelvic floor gives way! I’ve not had a conversation with dc’s about it as I’m sure they’d think it’s weird mum randomly peeing herself! My husband knows that when I need to go I need to go!

Constantsarechanging Mon 01-Jul-19 20:56:24

I think being open to discuss most things is important, uncomfortable things are usually the ones that are most important to share.
Periods are part of life, having had endometriosis for 20 years or so I've always been prepared to discuss these matters with partners, friends and my children.
Very important to normalise these conversations so children aren't embarrassed.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 21:07:21

I'd rather discuss my period or pelvic floor than my finances! grin

jitterbugintomybrain Mon 01-Jul-19 21:26:53

I struggle to talk about intimate things with my parents/ siblings but talk about everything with my kids including sex, drugs, periods.

yellowsun Mon 01-Jul-19 22:19:17

I haven’t hid away from DS (10) and he is now asking more. He knows what’s periods are and about sanitary products. I was impressed that his teacher talked about reusable pads in their PSHE lesson.

MrsFrTedCrilly Mon 01-Jul-19 23:58:53

With periods I stick to the facts and talk quite candidly about leaks, difference in flow and the practicalities of menstruating. Any questions that the dc have we answer factually and honestly.
Definitely discuss everything with my sister apart from money, that conversation is really only for whoever is affected by it.
I think these days money is much more of a taboo subject to discuss!

ShowerOfShite Tue 02-Jul-19 06:31:41

Growing up anything to do with periods was spoken about in hushed tones, far away from the sensitive ears of men.
I wasn't allowed to keep sanitary products in the bathroom. I hated being made to feel ashamed.
My own DC have grown up knowing all about their bodies and both feel comfortable talking with me about any subject.

RadishesAndLentils Tue 02-Jul-19 06:45:24

One of the first things my mum told me after I started my periods was that it was something we don't talk about.

I think attitudes have changed a lot. My daughter and I have always talked openly about it. I hope there's a lot less shame these days.

Period stain on the back of one's skirt for example? Annoying and inconvenient, yes. Shameful, no.

OrdinarySnowflake Tue 02-Jul-19 07:25:53

I think periods are less of a taboo subject than they were when I was growing up, which is good, and hopefully help more girls feel comfortable with their own bodies.

I'm not at the menopause stage yet, but I have noticed for the last 10 years or so, woman being more open to discuss it, that it's not seen as a shameful thing to be going through.

NeverTwerkNaked Tue 02-Jul-19 07:53:29

I am trying to be a lot more open and relaxed about talking about periods and sex and puberty than my parents were with me. I want my children to feel able to talk about it so they are more able to have those conversations themselves and to have discussions about contraception etc.

I find that once one person has broken a taboo people feel much more comfortable discussing it. Certainly that seems true of mental health issues etc.

clopper Tue 02-Jul-19 08:22:49

I have continence issues but feel uncomfortable discussing that with anyone, however I have always discussed periods with my daughters. My mother never mentioned periods to me at all, or the menopause or even anything about childbirth which I have always found strange.
Maybe it’s a generational thing. I remember feeling really shocked when first seeing sanitary wear advertised on tv ( I am old!).

WowOoo Tue 02-Jul-19 09:25:20

I've spoken to my boys about periods as and when their questions arose. They know what they are, they know what my pads and mooncup is for. They have both said that it sucks for them to hurt. They know sometimes I need my beanbag to ease cramps.

I can talk to my friends openly about anything really. Nothing is taboo - especially after a few glasses of wine.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 02-Jul-19 09:32:12

I forgot to answer some of the questions - like @clopper, I feel very uncomfortable discussing my continence issues - even telling you all on here, anonymously, is pretty scary.

I only had boys - all adults now - and if I am honest, I didn't discuss periods with them - not out of embarrassment (theirs or mine) but because it never came up - I suspect it might be a bit late now they are all in their twenties, and two of them have girlfriends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »