Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk taboo topics with Modibodi - £300 voucher + £100 Modibodi voucher to be won

(307 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 30-Jun-19 14:54:22

There are many topics that are traditionally considered taboo - and whether that’s discussing your period, the menopause, money whether you have it or not, or topics like incontience or sex, talking about taboo topics can sometimes be helpful, and so Modibodi would like to hear about the ways you talk about taboo topics with your friends and family.

Here’s what Modibodi has to say: “Modibodi™ is modern, protective apparel, created for real women. real bodies. real leaks! We cater to give all bodies more confidence and comfort, and a more sustainable solution to disposable hygiene. Our founder and CEO, Kristy Chong, spent almost two years working scientists and designers, developing, and testing the patented Modifier Technology™ that makes up the super stylish leak-proof knickers into the Modibodi collection. We have a UK team and warehouse, with same day dispatch, so you can get your Modibodi quickly! Modibodi also gives back to women in need through their Give A Pair program.”

“Modibodi believes that making a positive impact should be as easy as changing the undies we wear and now your swimwear too. Along with our sister brand RED, which is period proof protective undies for tweens and teens, we want all women and young girls to feel confident and be leak free. If you don’t believe us, try them for yourself with a 30-day free trial.
Modibodi offers FREE shipping in the UK and Northern Ireland, and are currently offering Mumsnet users 12% off their first order with the code ‘mumstaboo’ on their site. Offer excludes packs, gift cards and sale items.”

How would you talk to your daughter about her period? Or educate your son on what happens to women during menstruation? Are continence or ‘leak’ issues something you feel like you can’t mention, or are there topics that you’d be too embarrassed to speak about outside of a doctors office? Do you find it difficult to talk about money with others, out of fear they’ll feel judged, or that they’ll judge you? Perhaps there’s some people in your life you’d talk about anything with, regardless of how taboo the topic?

However you discuss topics that are traditionally taboo, share a comment below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list) and one MNer will win a £100 Modibodi voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

vaseandcandle Tue 23-Jul-19 11:30:13

If my DS (aged 6) asks about anything, I will tell him as honestly as I can. I try not to hide anything. While nothing is off limits, I do think that children need to learn that some topics should handled discreetly.

For me, its not a matter of a topic being taboo. Somethings I do not want to talk with others about. Most of my friendship and family circle don't need to hear about my finances, periods, medical issues.

Mymindblown Wed 24-Jul-19 07:43:23

I have tried to be open with my daughter about topics which may be considered taboo. I bought her a book about growing up and puberty some while ago and she really enjoyed us reading it together a little bit at a time. Now that we've read the whole book I've let her keep it in her room so she can refer to it any time she wants.

One topic where I've tried to be really proactive is mental and emotional health; it's really great that there's some really good books about the topic for tweens and she has really taken to reading and doing activities about it. She's even asked for more mental health books which is brilliant as she realises that she can do something positive about building self esteem etc.

When the time comes I'm hoping we'll be able to openly discuss her period to help her manage it as well as possible.

I think to a large extent children learn embarrassment about these topics from adults so it's important not to show this when talking with children about such issues.

Byrdie Wed 24-Jul-19 17:04:51

I think it might be the opposite in our house to be honest. I'm constantly talking to my daughter, who is 11, about periods and how it might start and what to do and she's now started to tell me to be quiet. I'm very open about it and she knows she can talk to me about anything. I made a pack just in case she starts out and about! Full of pads, spare pants and baby wipes. She rolls her eyes at me quite a lot.

I love the idea of pants that contain periods rather than a pad / tampons etc and I definitely will be thinking about these for her as, at the moment, all I use is a menstrual cup. I'm not sure she's ready for that.

Goingovertosusanshouse Wed 31-Jul-19 15:15:15

My 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son know all about periods, not much choice when all three of us used to have to squeeze in toilet cubicles when out and about. I’m as honest as possible with any questions they have. I want them to open up to me so I have to be honest with them.

MadCatLadypuss Thu 01-Aug-19 16:07:18

I talk to my DD about periods and puberty in a matter of fact way. she knows she can ask any questions she has and nothing is taboo or a silly question. DD is keen on recycling, she would welcome the chance to try period pants. Much greener than towels or tampons.

purplepandas Sat 03-Aug-19 08:30:37

Agree, have had the sex and period talk early on as it is so important to me in all honesty. Children should know and then being open hopefully reduces anxiety and shame (if anyone felt that).

PorridgeAgainAbney Sun 04-Aug-19 06:55:30

DS is 7 and knows I have periods but hasn’t been interested enough to ask what it means so I haven’t really expanded on the subject yet.

The only ‘taboo’ subject that has come up really has been death. He has had some relatives and a pet die over the past couple of years and it’s always been handled very openly: we’ve spoken about it, cried in front of him/with him and always encouraged questions so he knows he can ask anything.

I talk about different things with different friends: there’s one who is very difficult to talk to about emotional isssues but we’ve had frank conversations about periods and finances, but another is very impractical but was the best support ever to help me through PND and bereavement.

The only subject I’m worried about approaching with DS is drugs. I never did any when I was younger and I would sound like a total dinosaur if I attempted to talk about them, so I’ll need to start looking for advice about that at some point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »