Talk

Advanced search

What gives you an energy boost? Share with Nairn’s Oatcakes - £300 voucher to be won + Nairn’s hamper worth £150

(645 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 10-May-19 11:08:50

Everyone needs a little boost now and then. We all have those frantically busy days - whether at work, at home taking care of the kids or just rushing around trying to keep all those proverbial plates spinning – and it’s easy to forget how to keep yourself well nourished and energised. Not only can making better nutritional choices help keep you energised, but also little emotional boosts such as listening to your favourite song can also have a huge effect on how we handle life’s demands and whatever the day throws at us! With that in mind Nairn’s would really like to know what gives you an energy boost?

Here’s what Nairn’s have to say: “Nairn’s are all about ‘grabbing life by the oats’ and over the next few weeks we’ll be bringing you some exclusive, energising tips - we’d like to think it’s a pretty good fit considering just how naturally energising oats can be for you. You’ll find interviews with our inspiring and energetic ambassadors, expert advice from our resident nutritional therapist and loads more over on our website.

So, if you’ve got a go-to snack or energising habit that you swear by to keep you up and running, why not share it with the community? You could be lucky enough to win a hamper of incredible goodies from Nairn’s and friends, worth £150!”

What part of the day are you most likely to feel the need for an energy boost? What are the danger signs that your child’s energy is flagging? What foods or snacks do you give them to stop them getting ‘hangry’?! Do you get an energy boost from having a bit of family time? Maybe you get a boost from listening to your favourite playlist on your way to work? Would you say that exercise is what helps give you a boost? And if so what snacks do you eat to make sure you keep your energy going after exercise? What are your favourite breakfasts and lunches that help keep you going for the day? And what foods do you avoid that make you ‘crash’? How do you incorporate oats into your diet?

Whatever gives you an energy boost, share them on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a Nairn’s hamper worth £150 and one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Tsuyoikochan Wed 22-May-19 21:32:18

I love a walk round the park after breakfast. Feeding the ducks and seeing them running around makes me feel energised!

TheClitterati Thu 23-May-19 05:32:37

I don't really snack, and as my dc get bigger they need less snacks too. My youngest, now 8, has always suffered greatly when hungry. The packets of Nairn's biscuits are kn9wn as "emergency biscuits" in our house and are never too far away. Love the new coconut/chia flavour - thanks.

TheClitterati Thu 23-May-19 05:35:47

If i eat oats as porridge I prefer the steel cut ones.

7flipper7 Thu 23-May-19 08:48:36

Taking my dog out for a walk in the countryside. It reinvigorates me and reducing the stresses of the day.

ASREE Thu 23-May-19 15:51:38

Oatcakes with some peanut butter and apple slices

Jaderice21 Thu 23-May-19 17:14:28

fresh air and lots of water smile being hydrated really improves my energy levels

imrankhanpost Thu 23-May-19 18:19:25

After a jog and nice shower I am full of energy and can take on the world.

Wooosh Thu 23-May-19 20:33:33

My energy boost is a smoothie or some cheese and crackers. Sometime I buy Nairn's but I do mix it up with other brands.
Other than food getting out in the fresh air wakes me up and increases my energy.

nonnyno Fri 24-May-19 08:46:20

A cup of coffee.

mickaul232 Fri 24-May-19 09:43:18

Coffee and chocolate

littlemonkeyz Fri 24-May-19 11:57:54

I created an 'up-beat' music playlist which I put on to get me through the 3pm slump!

PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 24-May-19 20:40:34

I have porridge every day for breakfast. It really is the only thing that keeps me going until lunchtime. We also make a batch of flapjacks every weekend ready for afternoon snacks if we need a boost.

I find that doing the opposite of what I instinctively want to do when exhausted really helps. If I am tired I go for a walk; if I crave comfort food I’ll make a stir fry or quinoa and veg curry. I try to tell myself that when I am THAT tired then sitting on the sofa for an extra 15 minutes probably won’t make much difference so I may as well do something healthy instead smile.

There’s a limit to how much healthy food can balance out the effects of peri-meno insomnia though, when you’re getting 5 hours sleep every night and pouring the soy sauce over your tea bag instead of in the wok confused.

melmoo Fri 24-May-19 22:37:21

A run gives me a boost too. Not a long run or a hard run but early and easy.

KittyKat88 Fri 24-May-19 23:43:17

We love Nairn's oatcakes - I keep a tub of fine milled ones on me at all times when out with my girls - its the perfect snack whenever my girls or I need a quick energy pick up!

user1491168049 Sat 25-May-19 08:19:12

Sometimes I need a mental boost so I make time to use the Headspace app. Just a few minutes of relaxation and alone time each day is enough to give to me the boost to continue with a hectic work / life schedule.

Quietvoiceplease Sat 25-May-19 16:24:19

Mid-afternoon lull is always a tricky time. I find a cup of tea and something with sugar in is helpful. Usually something like a banana or flapjack. It coincides with school pick-up, so the children and I share something to eat before the next stage of the day begins.

Teresa11 Sat 25-May-19 16:32:23

A glass of chilled blood orange & grapefruit juice first thing in the morning works for me.

Nikita90 Sat 25-May-19 18:45:20

Seeing my kids smile and getting out and getting some fresh air

Cherry321 Sat 25-May-19 19:22:23

Love the Nairn individually wrapped biscuits and always have a pack in my bag to nibble whilst on the go. Even take them on holiday - it’s good to know I have a tasty low GI snack to hand. Love crumbling them into yogurt or dipping into a hot drink.

Also love seeing the kids get their hands dirty planting seeds or plants in the garden. Even just into old plastic containers. They love watching them grow.

cinabar Sat 25-May-19 22:26:30

I think one of my favourite treats is munching on some diced mango, it is healthy too. However if things get bad I'm pretty sure a Caramel Latte can usually get me through. :-)

CopperPan Sun 26-May-19 01:29:29

I often need a snack at around 4pm - we don't eat dinner until 7pm, so I find I need a boost to keep me going. I like rice cakes with yoghurt, apples, or toast with peanut butter and banana.

RiSo Sun 26-May-19 09:44:59

Housework gives me a boost as once I get going I can't stop and it makes me feel good to look around my home and see it nice and tidy. At least til the kids or husband get home!

villagefox Sun 26-May-19 14:45:22

I love an omelette crammed with veg - it keeps my tummy satisfied all morning. I also try to have a brisk walk after the school run to try and blow the cobwebs away before I start the work day smile

SandAndSeals Sun 26-May-19 14:53:47

I was having regular sugar crashes once I'd walked home after work - however I've started going to the gym a couple of evenings a week and I'm finding my energy has increased tenfold. I also try to eat a high protein snack around 3pm and that keeps me going until dinner.

dwerry Sun 26-May-19 15:23:34

Exercise always gives me a boost. I might not always feel like it but once I start I feel so much better and more energised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »