Talk

Advanced search

What gives you an energy boost? Share with Nairn’s Oatcakes - £300 voucher to be won + Nairn’s hamper worth £150

(645 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 10-May-19 11:08:50

Everyone needs a little boost now and then. We all have those frantically busy days - whether at work, at home taking care of the kids or just rushing around trying to keep all those proverbial plates spinning – and it’s easy to forget how to keep yourself well nourished and energised. Not only can making better nutritional choices help keep you energised, but also little emotional boosts such as listening to your favourite song can also have a huge effect on how we handle life’s demands and whatever the day throws at us! With that in mind Nairn’s would really like to know what gives you an energy boost?

Here’s what Nairn’s have to say: “Nairn’s are all about ‘grabbing life by the oats’ and over the next few weeks we’ll be bringing you some exclusive, energising tips - we’d like to think it’s a pretty good fit considering just how naturally energising oats can be for you. You’ll find interviews with our inspiring and energetic ambassadors, expert advice from our resident nutritional therapist and loads more over on our website.

So, if you’ve got a go-to snack or energising habit that you swear by to keep you up and running, why not share it with the community? You could be lucky enough to win a hamper of incredible goodies from Nairn’s and friends, worth £150!”

What part of the day are you most likely to feel the need for an energy boost? What are the danger signs that your child’s energy is flagging? What foods or snacks do you give them to stop them getting ‘hangry’?! Do you get an energy boost from having a bit of family time? Maybe you get a boost from listening to your favourite playlist on your way to work? Would you say that exercise is what helps give you a boost? And if so what snacks do you eat to make sure you keep your energy going after exercise? What are your favourite breakfasts and lunches that help keep you going for the day? And what foods do you avoid that make you ‘crash’? How do you incorporate oats into your diet?

Whatever gives you an energy boost, share them on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a Nairn’s hamper worth £150 and one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

m0jit0 Fri 10-May-19 19:21:45

Big bowl of porridge in the morning and plenty fresh air

Justme1981 Fri 10-May-19 19:29:45

Going to a yoga class really helps me - i feel restored after.

saturdayhelpme Fri 10-May-19 19:53:43

For me it's yoga in the morning and a run in the evening- so good for endorphins. I always refuel mid afternoon with Nairn's Super Seeded Oatcakes (as they have extra protein & no added sugar) perfect for keeping slim!

magentastardust Fri 10-May-19 20:11:51

Food wise I like cereal or crackers or oatcakes with some cheese and tomato or a banana for a wee energy boost. I also find playing some uplifting or uptempo music helps get me into a more energetic mood and a bit more motivated!

TooLittle Fri 10-May-19 20:37:25

I'd love to eat Nairn oat cakes but now they put palm oil in them I can't anymore.

So now I snack on almond nuts or raspberries... the odd carrot stick and humous, or porridge to go oat bars, depending on whether I'm at home or on the run .

BringItIn Fri 10-May-19 20:52:15

Dried apricots, apple rings, almonds, cashews and pieces of dark chocolate in a delicious mix are my favourite snack for lasting energy.

Pushpull Fri 10-May-19 20:57:20

Like a pp we sometimes have a kitchen disco if we are flagging. And then a snack plate to share, a mixture of healthy and less so.

biffyboom Fri 10-May-19 20:59:33

I shower really helps to boost me up when I'm flagging. The fresh feeling on my skin makes me feel awake.

GoodPlaceJanet Fri 10-May-19 21:02:20

Fresh air always works for me. Usually in the form of a walk to the shop to buy snacks grin

cravingmilkshake Fri 10-May-19 21:17:49

Around 10:30am I start flagging and get a real energy boost from overnight oats and fruit. Although, I haven't tried this withs nairns.

sharond101 Fri 10-May-19 21:32:54

Fresh air and exercise is the best thing to give me energy. Climbed hill last weekend and felt so much more energy than in a long time. I love the outdoors

DaisyEmma Fri 10-May-19 21:42:00

Not the cheapest, but a delicious snack I have found is a handful of raspberries eaten with a handful of Brazil nuts. So good!!!

jitterbugintomybrain Fri 10-May-19 21:44:17

Lots of fresh air on a walk. Diet Coke.

DaisyEmma Fri 10-May-19 21:47:50

Sorry just read the questions- for the kids I chop up cashews and apricots, dates, prunes and raisins (well I don't chop each raisin 🤪) then I melt some dark chocolate 80% cocoa usually (lots of iron) and mix the dried fruit and nuts in it till they're covered all over. Spread it on some baking parchment or foil and leave to set. Keeps well in the fridge, though usually eaten way before it would go off 😁

SageYourResoluteOracle Fri 10-May-19 22:01:36

All three of us in our household eat oats in some form for breakfast (I like homemade Bircher or oats with cardamom, cinnamon and quark, refrigerated overnight then mixed with an egg and baked in a silicone waffle mould the next morning. Bit of Greek yoghurt and fruit and voila!

DD totally gets hangry- alarmingly so. Usually have a cereal bar or banana to hand or as PP said, some 80% cocoa chocolate. A medjool date is always a good one with a couple of Brazil nuts too!

Gazelda Fri 10-May-19 22:16:19

A shower always gets me going. Or some Greek yoghurt with seeds.

doodlejump1980 Fri 10-May-19 22:26:48

I’ve stopped buying Nairn’s oatcakes since they started using palm oil.

YesThisIsMe Fri 10-May-19 22:36:52

Mmmm Nairn’s.

But day to day it’s all about a big mug of builders’ tea.

Blazedout Fri 10-May-19 22:50:02

If I'm in a bit of a slump but not quite hungry I always have a couple of slices of cheese. This takes me until my next meal. If I'm a bit meh about housework I light my favourite candle and then tidy, I don't like the nice smell with an untidy room.

JC4PMPLZ Fri 10-May-19 22:52:40

Some tender stem broccoli and a cup of green tea does it for me.

MegBusset Fri 10-May-19 23:32:28

I always have oats for breakfast (porridge) - keeps me full until lunch. Mid afternoon is when I get a slump - I tend to fix it with chocolate blush but popcorn does the job too.

kateandme Fri 10-May-19 23:33:42

What part of the day are you most likely to feel the need for an energy boost?mid afternoon after school time.a banana or a few oatcake and a cuppa does it for me.sometimes a lovely walk somewhere full fo nature or just a sit down to breathe can help.
What are the danger signs that your child’s energy is flagging?mood,tugging at me,not doing what i say!moaning for food
What foods or snacks do you give them to stop them getting ‘hangry’?!banana,a bowl of cereal,glass of milk,fruit pieces or toast.
Do you get an energy boost from having a bit of family time?yes deff,dancing round the kitchen,snuggles and giggles,even watching seomthing on t.v. to a picnice in the garden or park.
Maybe you get a boost from listening to your favourite playlist on your way to work?yes or some of my favourite presenters on the radio give a boost and a laugh.i love to put the radio on loud too
Would you say that exercise is what helps give you a boost?yes and it can be a gentle work or a big workout.sometimes just a walk in the sun or fresh air.yoga is good too.
And if so what snacks do you eat to make sure you keep your energy going after exercise?fruit salad ir melon chunks.few oatcake with cucumber on or cereal in a tupperware.
What are your favourite breakfasts and lunches that help keep you going for the day?grain salad.pearl barley mixed with roasted vggies.
soup.oatcake and scrambled eggs.oatcakes and a thick bean stew.porridge.
And what foods do you avoid that make you ‘crash’? How do you incorporate oats into your diet?crumbles.porridge,oatcake.top of fish and veggies stews.breakfast bars.toasted and stired through yoghurt
oats and rice hash.

username198817 Fri 10-May-19 23:58:53

Fresh air

NeverTwerkNaked Sat 11-May-19 00:08:27

I love fruit for an energy boost. It always helps. Oh and strong black coffee.

Big carby meals and alcohol bofh make me lethargic

Tealfrog Sat 11-May-19 06:39:00

My kids flag when they come home from school - they are sporty preteens and seem to be hungry lots! Snack plates are big in my house- lots of healthy bites on one plate. At the moment they are liking cheese, strawberries, crackers or mini oat cakes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »