Talk

Advanced search

Share your tips for getting your children eating healthily with Little Yeos - £300 voucher to be won

(349 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Apr-19 10:32:19

Trying to get your children to eat healthily is a battle that many parents will inevitably face; from weaning onto solid foods, to dinner times through to pack lunches and beyond. There is a lot of information and recipes out there on what the best methods/techniques are to get your child to start eating healthily and how to incorporate nutritious food into their meals. With that being said Little Yeos would love to know any recommendations, recipes, techniques or experiences of getting your child to eat healthily.

Here’s what Little Yeos have to say: We’d love to hear your top tips for children’s healthy eating. Here are some examples to get you started:

Weaning:
What are your tips for weaning your child onto healthy food?
Do you find that your child prefers sweeter foods or more varied flavours?

Doing the weekly food shop:
Do you find it easy to find healthy snacks for your child?
Do you find nutrients labels on foods in supermarkets are clear?

Meal times:
Do you have any favourite healthy tips or recipes that work for your family?
What are your favourite healthy swaps?

Whatever your recommendations, thoughts or experiences when it comes to getting your child to eat healthily, share them on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

lolly2010 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:24:02

Weaning:
What are your tips for weaning your child onto healthy food?
Encourage them try as many fruits and veg and meals as possible, cooking from scratch and batch cooking helps to ensure you know what is going in to the meals.

Do you find that your child prefers sweeter foods or more varied flavours? One of my children loved everything where as the other would only eat fruit

Doing the weekly food shop:
Do you find it easy to find healthy snacks for your child?
I find there are quite a few options for healthy snacks.
Do you find nutrients labels on foods in supermarkets are clear?
Not always

Meal times:
Do you have any favourite healthy tips or recipes that work for your family?
I encourage my children to help prepare the meals with me, try to pack as many vegetables as you can in.
What are your favourite healthy swaps?
Veg sticks, strawberries and soft fruit

Sierra259 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:16:27

Make unhealthy food the exception and a "special treat". Puddings here are usually fruit or plain yoghurt, with cake/ice cream etc only occasionally. We have an "eat whatever you want from the fruit bowl" if snacks requested, or things like oat cakes with peanut butter/cheese & tomato. We also only have squash with Sunday dinner or special occasions like eating out, as I've seen how easily it just becomes demanded all the time. Cooking from scratch is the easiest way to make sure meals are healthy, though am struggling with this at present as both DC are going through a really fussy stage! Letting them choose the veg they want with meals has been really useful in getting at least some into them!

sarat1 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:26:41

Always try some yourself and show enjoyment before offering to child as it will help build trust and make them want to at least try out grown up foods

alem17 Wed 24-Apr-19 21:28:31

No unhealthy treats in the house

alem17 Wed 24-Apr-19 21:29:23

No unhealthy treats in the house

bibolda Thu 25-Apr-19 08:12:17

My daughter loves your yogurts and I gave her a lot, because it is not as sweet. But kids get bored from tastes, so the eat it for a while and than refuse to eat the same. Need more flavors..

meow1989 Thu 25-Apr-19 08:40:35

My little boy is 10 months and we've always given textured food with added veg or fruit (chopped berries in porridge, handful of frozen peas in dinner etc). He loves his fruit and vegetables and getting messy with food!

I do think that if you ban all sugar foods they become more interesting so he will have some custard (admittedly low sugar) with fruit for pudding sometimes and I've let him have some of my icecream or chocolate for a taste.

I've never offered juice either and he loves his water- he doesn't know theres anything other than that or milkm

umar12 Thu 25-Apr-19 09:16:05

my neighbor's mom gets 87 an hour from home, she has been without work for 4 months. the previous month her profit was 15943 only working on the internet five hours each day. cheak jobscale.com

Starlight2004 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:24:26

Simple things like eating evening meals together at the table were important when our kids were growing up. And trying to keeping snacks to fruit and none processed things. Keeping food colourful and fresh smile

SoftBlocks Thu 25-Apr-19 18:36:57

Avoid fizzy drinks and squashes. Make sure they are hungry before meals and offer carrot or cucumber sticks if the are hungry between meals. Don’t hand out biscuits at school pick up, or let them have sweet foods on an empty stomach - only let them eat sweets or ice cream after ‘real’ food.

Lindy2 Thu 25-Apr-19 22:47:06

Aiming to keep a balanced diet works for us. Nothing is banned but sweet and fatty foods must be balanced out with fruit and vegetables.

Gazelda Fri 26-Apr-19 09:19:58

Encourage children to help cook the dinner. Find creative and imaginative (and quick) recipes that are balanced, colourful and interesting.

mummychezza Fri 26-Apr-19 09:51:02

I got my little ones growing our own fruit and veg from babys letting them pick,wash and try them all.also get them to help make their food making faces or pictures on our plates with a good variety of fresh food.they do have little yeo yoghurts as a snack but nothing beats homegrown fresh fruit and veg.

burwellmum Fri 26-Apr-19 10:02:23

It's about balance and diversity. Generally I gave what we had with no added salt/gravy liquidised.

Hopezibah Fri 26-Apr-19 11:33:09

anything that makes food fun - anything they can spread, dip, wrap or roll themselves, anything that can be made to look like a face or a shape or whatever that captures their imaginations!

Anything that gets them involved in understanding where food comes from - pick your own, grow your own veg etc, and 'helping' to cook however young they are.

all these things have helped in the past with fussy eating.

Mammatino Fri 26-Apr-19 13:16:26

I have a meal planner I fill in which helps me stick to a shopping list and also healthy snacks are factored into it. This takes away the whole eating rubbish because we can't make up our minds. I also have a relaxed attitude to sweets and treats and don't use them as a reward. My five year old has free access to sweets and crisps as well as fruits and yoghurt so makes his own choice. He chooses well most of the time and it's no big deal if he fancies a bag of crisps and a few sweets now and again.

Reubenandsophiasmum Fri 26-Apr-19 14:46:12

I try and buy a good selection of healthy organic foods and lead by example. I’m not perfect by any means but if my children see me making good choices then it helps them make good choices. My daughter is 8 months so we’re introducing solids we all make an effort to give praise and positive sounds even when it’s a food someone in the house may not like - we’re hardly going to encourage her by saying yuk !!

Jellybeansincognito Fri 26-Apr-19 16:55:30

Don’t ‘ban’ anything. I don’t ban anything and allow everything in moderation, nothing is healthy if eaten excessively.

I tend to make a lot of pasta because it’s easy to chop and cook veg with passata and blend for a sauce.

Homemade soups with cheese toast dippers are good too, it feels naughty when it isn’t at all.

I found my children started to eat more when I changed the presentation of the food, shaped plates and cutters for sandwiches and salad items makes the world of difference.

BraayTigger Fri 26-Apr-19 22:43:34

Smoothies...help ensure my kids get their 5-10/day

Cuzcospoison Sat 27-Apr-19 20:43:31

Always have fruit & veg snacks available and don't make eating healthily too much of a 'thing'.

I explain to my kids that it's important to nourish your body & my 4 year old knows what foods have protein, carbs, fats and vitamins and what those things help his body to do. He often tells me he can feel his muscles growing/his latest scab healing while he's eating his chicken...

MummyofTw0 Sat 27-Apr-19 23:14:09

We grate vegetables such as carrots and courguettes into meals like spag bols and casseroles or pasta sauces

Hidden veg goes down a treat

TellMeItsNotTrue Sat 27-Apr-19 23:45:11

Lead by example, no good moaning that your DC won't eat any veg etc when the parents don't

Everything in moderation, there is no bad food as long as the balance is right, stops them going mad when they encounter a plate of biscuits or something at a party

ItsHardToExplain Sun 28-Apr-19 18:22:21

I try to put various vegetables on their plates and hope they eat them! If we have a dessert it also includes fruit - like strawberries with a small spoon of ice cream.

MattFreisWeatherReport Mon 29-Apr-19 01:03:16

One of mine is on the autistic spectrum and has distinct likes and dislikes when it comes to food texture. He's particularly funny about the healthier carbs, like pasta and rice, whereas he'd happily eat bread and pizza type things all day if I'd let him. He's also picky with cooked vegetables but likes crunchier salads and fruit. Weirdly, he's happy with lasagne so now I turn all sorts of things into different types of lasagne, which is a good way of getting veg into him as well as a great way to use up leftovers. We have spring veg lasagne and mediterranean veg lasagne and chicken lasagne and leftover beef stew lasagne... I could go on and on. I only really learned to cook properly after I had kids. I used to be a real foodie and follow recipes slavishly, but now I can really cook like a mum!

Sb74 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:43:44

My children both say broccoli is their favourite food. They are 10 and 12.

The most important tip I can give is to all eat together at the same time and to give the children the same meals as you. So many people give their children meals at different times to them and “kiddy food”.

We have always given our children the same healthy meals we have and eat together. Ever since they were toddlers. By watching their parents eat the same food encourages the children to also eat it. They love salmon, salad all kinds of normal healthy food. I never use salt when cooking either, probably because the children have always eaten the same meals.

We have had comments when eating meals out that it’s nice to see children eating normal food.

We don’t give them disnosaur shaped chicken etc, they have normal chicken. Might sound boring but they eat all their veg and don’t think anything of it.

Very proud!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »