Talk

Advanced search

Share with Kinder Ice Cream the nostalgic summer memories you’d love to recreate for your DC - £300 voucher to be won

(374 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-19 13:21:02

We all have memories etched on our minds of the happy times we spent as children - before we grew up and had to start adulting. Summer days filled with light, joy and carefree fun. Maybe for you it was long afternoons playing in the back street, and the sound of the ice cream van, or perhaps it was a visit to the seaside where you spent happy hours building a sandcastle or discovering crabs in rock pools. It's these kind of memories that make childhood special, and perhaps now that you're a parent you're planning to re-create them for your own family. If so, Kinder Ice Cream would like you to share your memories and inspire others.

Here’s what Kinder Ice Cream have to say: "KINDER is now entering the world of ice cream, bringing to KINDER fans the care-free, summer feeling that ice cream stirs up, together with three tasty treats, for families to choose from – the delicious KINDER Ice Cream Stick, the convenient KINDER Ice Cream Sandwich and the iconic KINDER Joy Ice Cream."

What are the memories that stick in your mind and have a special meaning? What are the things your parents did that you'd like to do with your children? Maybe you built a kite with your mum and then took it to the park and watched it soar! Perhaps you remember your first trip to the cinema and the smell of popcorn and ice cream? Did you build a fort out of cardboard boxes in the garden with your dad and then take great pleasure in smashing it to bits?

If you have a favourite summer memory you'd like to re-create for your children, share it on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

BristolMum96 Wed 20-Mar-19 15:47:07

Family cycle rides through our local forest! Ice cream when home!

Gazelda Wed 20-Mar-19 16:17:23

Mooching around in the river with bare feet. building dams, squealing when splashed. Climbing out to have a bite of picnic and then play pooh sticks.

Pushpull Wed 20-Mar-19 16:27:47

On hot summer days spending (what felt like) the whole day outdoors, chalking on the drive, playing in the paddling pool, picnic in the garden for lunch, running in and out the house for ice pops and then bbq for tea. A bath at night to wash all the sticky summer away. The days felt like they lasted forever!

Knowidea Wed 20-Mar-19 16:35:07

We always used to go on narrow boat holidays. There was this one special lock with a triangle house, it took you from one river to another. Whilst going up in this lock my dad would always jump off and buy me and my sister an ice cream.

myotherbagisgucci Wed 20-Mar-19 17:24:28

Working with my dad on his ice cream van during the six weeks holidays. I got £5.00, a corn beef butty and a choc nut sundae as my wage! 😅 🍦 ☀️

VelvetPineapple Wed 20-Mar-19 17:44:19

I used to love going to the beach to build sandcastles and play in rock pools. I’ll be doing it with my DS this summer.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:45:23

Camping in the garden! Freezer full of ice cream at a handy distance ...

PhilomenaButterfly Wed 20-Mar-19 19:01:54

The fair for a fortnight every summer.

Ashhead24 Wed 20-Mar-19 19:07:58

Paddling pool in the garden, eating ice lollies and water fights.

SockPortal Wed 20-Mar-19 19:52:22

Breaking up from school and feeling like the summer holidays were going to stretch in forever. My mum used to give me a notebook and ask me to write down the things I wanted to do. We used to do our best to get through the list, and write about it as we went. I would love to do this for my little one when she gets older.

Some of the things included, going to the library, go swimming and going to the beach. The more extreme things like visit the moon was tackled in a different way, we learnt about the moon in an encyclopaedia (pre internet), put a saucepan on our heads and jump around.

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 20-Mar-19 20:12:10

I still remember a seagull swooping down and stealing my mum's ice-cream in Devon one summer. We all found it hilarious (my mum, not so much).
I managed to recreate this for the entertainment of my own children when a gull swopped down and stole my Cornish pasty in St Ives last summer!

buckley1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:41:40

I was lucky enough to grow up on the Isle of Wight, so summers were perfect as we were never far from the beach!
My brother & I would just run off & play on our rubber rings (the must-have toy every summer!), build sandcastles & pester mum for an ice-cream!
I just remember it as a really carefree, happy time. We live a long way from the coast now, but I really treasure those memories! smile
Kinder ice-cream sounds ruddy amazing!!

JC4PMPLZ Wed 20-Mar-19 21:10:14

Summers that seem to last for ever. Cockles and winkles. Long walks on the beach. A lemonade while parents have a pint of beer and a pint of prawns.

StickChildNumberTwo Wed 20-Mar-19 22:14:00

We used to stay in a family caravan on a site just over the road from the beach. To get there you had to cross the main road and then clamber over the sand dunes to get to a near deserted beach. I can still remember the excitement of getting to the top of the dunes and then being able to see the sea and run down to the beach. The windbreak never stayed up, the kite wouldn't fly, it was too cold to go in the sea, but it was perfect nonetheless (at least through my rose tinted specs!)

Treaclespongeandcustard Wed 20-Mar-19 22:43:50

Paddling in the river and catching tiny fish in nets. Having lemon curd sandwiches and caprisun for picnic and then finding an ice cream van on the way home. Happy days smile

ItsHardToExplain Wed 20-Mar-19 23:09:29

On the beach with a bucket and spade, we had a picnic mat saved for best smile Chips for lunch eaten with a chip shop wooden fork followed by ice cream. Sand everywhere but no one minded. I can hear the sounds and smell the smells as I write this.
I would love the same memories for my little ones.

scarfattack Wed 20-Mar-19 23:30:49

I lived north so long days in the summer. Playing outside til late, it was still warm and being devastated that the day was ending and having to go to bed. Going for walks by the streams and in fields - we lived on the edge of the village so farms on doorstep. Not needing a jacket too! It wasn't always warm so it was such a treat to not need a jacket!

MaverickSnoopy Thu 21-Mar-19 04:44:06

Summer afternoons in the garden playing in the paddling pool stick out in my mind most of all. My mum was a sahm and I just had a sense of calmness that the summer was about family togetherness, winding down and relaxing with nowhere to be and nowhere to go. Lots of long lazy days in the garden. She used to make us ice lollies and would regularly pull them out of the freezer, especially on hot days.

m0jit0 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:24:31

Road trips to the beach with ice cream at the end of the day

Vole3 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:40:17

At the end of August my mum and I would go blackberrying near to our home.
The field was surrounded by woodland and the grass would be knee high on an adult, browned with the heat and full of grasshoppers chirruping. The bees would be buzzing and butterflies dancing around us.
We would come back with a bucket load of blackberries, fingers stained with the juice, looking forward to pies, jams and chutneys studded with the end of summer fruits.

jitterbugintomybrain Thu 21-Mar-19 07:08:33

Looking in rock pools, paddling in streams, laughing and running around on the beach/ a field/ up in the hills.

OutComeTheWolves Thu 21-Mar-19 08:17:46

Going to the park and coming home with a load of tiddlers in a jar.
Going fruit picking too.

starlight36 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:18:10

Making dens in the back garden out of the clothes horses and some picnic blankets. My brother and I pretending we were part of the Famous Five having our own adventures. Eating every meal possible outside.

lovemyflipflops Thu 21-Mar-19 10:01:57

Camping in the garden with a tent made from curtains over the washing line, reading stories by torchlight and listening to the birds roosting and waking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »