Talk

Advanced search

Share your tips for how to manage children’s eczema with La Roche-Posay - £300 voucher to be won!

(314 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Mar-19 09:55:26

Eczema is a common skin condition amongst children and at times can be very tricky to manage and keep your child’s skin from being dry, sore, and itchy. It can be especially difficult to keep in check at night and can affect your DCs sleep. La Roche-Posay would like you to share your tips for how you handle your child’s eczema or what has helped you manage your child’s eczema in the past.

Here’s what La Roche-Posay has to say: “Here at La Roche-Posay we understand how eczema can impact quality of life for your child and the whole family. We ran a clinical study which showed that 9 out of 10 children with eczema suffer with sleep issues, spending up to ¼ of the night scratching, which can easily take its toll on day-to-day life. As we are committed to a better life for sensitive skin, we are encouraging Mumsnetters to share their top tips on looking after their children’s dry, itchy or eczema-prone skin, including bedtime hacks to reduce itchiness during the night.”

So what things have helped manage your child’s eczema? Are there any particular creams, lotions, or balms that have worked particularly well at soothing the itch? Do you keep the window open at night and make sure your child is wearing light, loose pajamas to keep them cool and stop them scratching while they sleep? Perhaps you avoid scented washing detergent to prevent your child’s skin from flaring up?

Please share your tips for coping with your child’s eczema below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks

MNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

BristolMum96 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:24:56

Haven't really found anything to help my child relieve their eczema. None of the creams etc work for her. Only way I can stop scratching is by putting her to bed in an all in one so she can't get to her chest/belly/nappy area to scratch. Looking for a miracle cure!

Whitelisbon Mon 11-Mar-19 14:05:21

I have 3 with eczema, eldest is 12 and now on immunosuppressants, so we've a fair bit of experience!
Moisturize. Constantly. When they flare, that means 10-12 times a day if necessary. Have emolients all over the house, so there'd always one close at hand, and, as soon as you notice an itch, cover them in it. We use heavier emolients at night (hydromol and 50/50, mainly), lighter creams during the day (diprobase and q.v. are our preferred ones).
Scratch sleeves for little ones, and onesies for bigger kids.
Keep them cool, as overheating means they'll scratch more, and try to use as much natural materials etc as possible.

Froglette16 Mon 11-Mar-19 15:13:27

My DS has had eczema since he was 3 mo. He’s now 2.5yo. We tried many different creams but Diprobase works best for us and an occasional low steroid cream for his face if it flares ( early on we had flares that became infected so early use of an antibiotic cream helped in conjunction with mild steroid ). No synthetics or wool against the skin. Cotton only. Cotton also for bedding. No tight clothes - let the skin breathe! Keep the bedroom slightly below warm because heating fuels the flare ups! Bathe in a non-soap bath cream. Same for shampoo. The GP can prescribe these and steroid creams ( the latter only for light use as long-term use can damage the skin). We were also tested for allergies. Dust mites, grasses and pollens, animal hair can all have an effect. Chlorine in pools etc. However salt water is soothing. Inc Himalayan salt in the bath. DS is now mostly eczema free but had a flare yesterday on his arms and legs so we’re straight back to the diprobase. We worked v hard in the early months to find out which creams worked best for him and it paid off but every child is different. If your child has a bad time with eczema my advice would be to persevere, keep trying different creams, return to your gp as often as necessary to get more to try and also talk to your local pharmacist, who may have more advice to offer. Eczema is awful but it can be controlled.

Constantlurker Mon 11-Mar-19 15:39:52

We've been having a horrific time with eczema on my little girl. Tried everything. Winter has been awful with heating on everywhere. Then we tried a combination of a humidifier in her room to stop her skin drying out and the dermex aveeno cream. It's not cheap but the nighttime balm and daytime cream has cleared her skin up completely in 2 weeks. I cannot believe it some days. We used to have to change her clothes in 10 seconds flat because the minute her skin was in the open air she would scratch so hard she would bleed. Now she plays happily in the bath and we can take our time changing her.

I think it's mostly finding a combo of creams that work for you as we tried about 10 different types before this. But the change was insane.

Constantlurker Mon 11-Mar-19 15:40:43

We also stopped using fabric conditioner which made a huge difference

JanuarySun Mon 11-Mar-19 15:47:31

slapping moisturiser on, natural fibres, avoiding getting hot and sweaty

itsabongthing Mon 11-Mar-19 18:28:34

I have found the type of fabric of the nightwear is important so pure cotton is better than synthetic.
My friend adapted her LOs pyjamas (his ezcema was worse than my DDs) to include mittens that he couldn’t take off.

sarat1 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:28:17

Support system from the inside using goats kefir

munchbunch12 Mon 11-Mar-19 20:31:41

Both my DC have eczema, but it seems (fingers crossed) to be improving as they get older. For us, what seemed to help was not bathing them too often, just giving them a strip wash whenever possible. Washing them with an emollient like Oilatum was less drying, and using emulsifying ointment all the time, and the steroid cream only when necessary. We also wash clothes in Persil non bio as that seems to be the best detergent for them.

MrsFrTedCrilly Mon 11-Mar-19 21:14:05

Definitely agree with the moisturising and also keeping cool at night. Cotton bedding and lightest cotton pyjamas.

Coffeechick Mon 11-Mar-19 22:40:06

Work on it from the inside. Probiotics to improve the gut biome

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 11-Mar-19 23:37:45

Keep distracted to stop them thinking about the itching and needing to scratch
Stickers for not scratching
Moisturise regularly
Don't bath them too often, it dries the skin out more
Regularly wash clothes and bedding so that there isn't old skin/moisturiser on them to create an itchy surface

Whereareyouspot Tue 12-Mar-19 06:33:47

We have tried every single emollient going.
Some work for a bit and then seemingly stop being effective and we swop again.

When he was little we bought the special silver threaded cotton suits with inbuilt mitts.

We also have the silk tops and trousers and whilst I’m unconvinced of the benefit in terms of improving the skin he insists they feel much better so that in itself is worth the cost.

The thicker emollients like epaderm felt intuitively like a good idea to me but DS hates the sensation so we stick with diprobase on the whole and added steroid as soon as a flare occurs

He had to shower straight after swimming and apply cream which is hard at school

And he has also hated the seawater as it’s stings altho evidence suggests if you can get past the initial discomfort then salt water will heal.

Whereareyouspot Tue 12-Mar-19 06:34:44

And for us bathing more definitely helps
Every night with added emollient in the bath and loads of cream after whilst the skin is supple.

If he doesn’t have a bath his skin is horrendous.

biffyboom Tue 12-Mar-19 06:50:03

My eldest child suffered very badly with eczema for his first 3 years.
Ultimately, after trying numerous products and methods, with varying degrees of success, it sadly turned out it was mainly caused by our pet.

Summergarden Tue 12-Mar-19 09:48:57

My DC have mild eczema.

I keep it under control just with QV moisturising cream most of the time, applied before bed. In the summer it sometimes flares up worse in patches so I apply a little steroid cream (prescription).

I do use biological washing powder as just don’t find non bio gets stains out, but I only use the pure/gentle fabric conditioners.

sharond101 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:35:04

We find minimal exposure to the cold shook wrapping up warm. Going in holiday to sunshine send to help too but always with a high factor sunscreen.

GetSchwifty Tue 12-Mar-19 12:25:21

The best thing for both of mine was not to give them a bath too often. Every night just dries their skin out too much. A little bit of hydrocortisone on the creases and reddest parts used to clear their eczema up pretty quickly.

Grapetree Tue 12-Mar-19 12:50:50

Keeping central heating low to prevent overheating
Light layers cotton clothing
Lukewarm showers no longer than 5 mins
Moisturising immediately after bathing to seal in moisture
Medical grade manuka honey bandages used on stubborn weepy patches to kill staphylococcus aureus
Using a thick cream based emollient which contains ceramides, humectants, fatty alcohols, and petroleum to reduce TEWL
Keep bedroom cool at night, lighter duvet, wash bedding once a week
Avoiding products with fragrance, SLS

Cotswoldmama Tue 12-Mar-19 14:01:14

My sons eczema is quite bad and especially at night. Nothing much seems to help when he's having a flare up but we use gloves at night and tube bandages over his clothes on his arms and legs to try to prevent the itching from damaging his skin too much

Asuwere Tue 12-Mar-19 15:02:34

Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! And try to stop the scratching as much as possible (easier said than done sometimes!)

Leannenoyce1 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:13:58

My daughter had really bad eczema since she been born i tried everythink and couldnt get it down i now use moo goo natural cream its hard to get but gets it in bulk so it never runs out she been brilliant with her skin will never look back now i still carry on with it still even if not sore hope it can help others

grebnew Tue 12-Mar-19 16:20:44

Cetaphil for face cleansing and lotion. Hydrocortisone for mild flare-ups, though not on face. Prescription for more serious flare-ups. Avoidance of heat. Mild laundry detergent. Healthy diet. Lower stress.

Cupcakeicecream Tue 12-Mar-19 16:59:33

Childs farm works wonders. Always moisturise. Wear cool loose cotton clothing. Tight clothes irritate and rub the skin. Baths and showers warm not to hot or cold. When its windy and cold outside apple cream to hands and face and lip balm.cheeks lips and hands tend to to be worse in winter. Gently exfoliate the skin with a soft bristle brush gets the circulation and blood flowing and its soft on skin to remove dry skin. Dont use soap on face it tends to irritate and dry the skin out. To avoid scratching use a fan or blow on skin to sooth irritation. Aloe vera gel cools and soothes skin.

Wineallthetime Tue 12-Mar-19 18:47:01

Find out the cause for starters, mines diary and sodium lurtheral sulphate whxihbis a foaming agents in shampoos, showers grow etc. Cut out both and sorry guys but Childs farm nappy rash cream is amazing!!!

Dominiquemy17 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:46:39

My daughter had eczema from a very young age and we tried all sorts, everything I heard we tried. things worked for her but only for a short time and then started to cause the eczema to get worse. I tried everything, lavender oil, all sorts of creams prescribed by the GP. the thing that helps her is dove. She can use dove and uses this all the time. She is now 22 and can use scented toiletries occasionally but dove is her go to and keeps her skin in beautiful condition.

MegBusset Tue 12-Mar-19 22:32:54

Keep trying emollients until you find one that works - we got through loads with baby DS1 and eventually found Doublebase the best.

And don't be afraid to use steroids - much better to use them when needed than not and end up with a severe infection.

QueenOfPharts Tue 12-Mar-19 23:17:15

I havent found a wonder cure for ds eczema but due to his sensitive skin I find oatmeal baths and Vaseline jelly work yo sooth and make eczema less angry/itchy

ButterflyBitch Wed 13-Mar-19 11:37:17

Both my kids had eczema as young children and still have sensitive skin. Moisturise religiously and use steroids if you have to. Find the right toiletries/washing powder as well so skin doesn’t get irritated. Ignore the doctors when they say ‘don’t worry he’ll grow out of it’ when they can’t be arsed to help you anymore. I had to go back with photos of my son with blood all over his face and cot where he’d scratched in his sleep.
Get a referral to dermatology. They know their stuff.

voyager50 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:17:25

I don't have a child with eczema but but nephew has it and my sister says she never lets him wear fleece as that really irritates it. Natural cotton fibres are best.

DarkDarkNight Wed 13-Mar-19 12:31:28

Oatmeal baths used to work for my Nephew, along with natural (unrefined) shea butter. He used to be prescribed Aqueous Cream and the advice was to slather that on then cover in wet bandages. It was horrendous. I hope the NHS has moved on a bit since then.

ineedtostopbeingsolazy Wed 13-Mar-19 18:43:04

I haven't found anything that has cured it but Aveeno moisturising cream is a good one and it doesn't sting his skin.
Sometimes I mix in a bit of hydrocortisone if it's needed.

I have in the past used Eurax cream to stop the itch.
The GP prescribed it for him when he about 3 months old it was only after I'd been using it that i noticed it says it's only for children aged over 3 yrs.
It did stop the itching though...

Bouchie Wed 13-Mar-19 22:18:38

Two of my children had eczema. The things that work for us were cutting out dairy, weekly baths using oats tied in tights and using emoluient. We also can only use surcare.

KittyKat88 Wed 13-Mar-19 23:40:01

I try to use organic creams if possible, and definitely fragrance-free to avoid reactions or skin inflammations. I only use a fragrance-free hard soap for cleansing too as some products do cause reactions in sensitive areas! Same with the laundry liquid I use - organic is the best option!

kiwielite Thu 14-Mar-19 05:43:32

Our 20 month old daughter only seems to suffer with it in the winter - so we try and keep the radiator off in her bedroom at night if it’s not too cold. Lots of emollient is necessary to stop her scratching until she bleeds - we try and apply it four times a day - they do it a couple of times at nursery for us on the days that she’s there. Emollient ointment is more effective than the creams, although less pleasant to apply. We use hydrocortisone for bad flare ups

presentcontinuous Thu 14-Mar-19 08:21:55

My DD developed weepy eczema on her face and upper body when she was a few weeks old. This is going to sound like an advert but we were living in France at the time so knew about La Roche Posay! I used LRP water spray to clean the weepy bits, the Lipikar wash in the bath and the balm to moisturise. The eczema disappeared after a few months. She's grown up now, and it's rarely been a problem since. She just gets the occasional patch on her face when she's tired or stressed, which she still treats with LRP balm smile

Boulardii Thu 14-Mar-19 08:37:28

Dark night, viscopaste bandages are still very much on the NHS menu.
They are not prescribing non-pharma stuff.

My tip is that if your child has eczema on their face, it’s possibly from environmental irritants, so it’s worth following the guidance for dust time sensitivity.
If it’s on the hands, it’s probably from the soap/ water that gets used for hand washing, so look at that.

For young children, if they have it on their torso, and then there is a line where it stops where there nappy is, it’s worth checking the washing products for things like optical brighteners, biological agents and perfumes. I recommend liquid soap flakes from Wilkinson as a very neutral washing product.

Byrdie Thu 14-Mar-19 10:58:02

I have three kids but only my eldest suffers from eczema. I've had to be really strict with the school and tell them that she cannot wash with the soap that they provide in their toilets which have caused her to flareup really badly before. Generally the best thing that helps her is moisturising but also salt in the bath can relieve some of the symptoms. We have tried a few creams but none of them really clear up brilliantly. It's better to avoid things that cause it to flareup

torthecatlady Thu 14-Mar-19 12:38:41

For ds lots of moisturiser (unscented), no bath foam, sensitive shampoo, sensitive laundry detergent, cotton clothing.

For myself, I try to cut out dairy or reduce my intake as it brings out my eczema.

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 14-Mar-19 16:50:34

We avoid the following:
Fabric softener/ conditioner
Biodegradable washing powder
Fragrances soaps / bodywash
Anything that is to be used on skin that is not described as for sensitive skin

coffeeforone Thu 14-Mar-19 19:30:25

Lush Dream Cream has been the answer for our 5 month old. Recommended by a friend who has coped with two little ones eczema (though for her Hydromol works best). Nothing we've tried or been prescribed clears his skin as well as the one from Lush, it's been our saviour.

Mossiebonbon Thu 14-Mar-19 21:16:23

Childs farm and ditch the dairy!

TOADally Thu 14-Mar-19 21:28:22

We swore by cardiospermum gel. It stopped my toddler from being a walking scab (seriously, both cheeks were brown, sticky crusts and his chin and neck were red raw) and got it under control within a week of use. Nine years later, he now only flares up when the weather gets cold and that's the odd patch on his legs.

anothermansmother Fri 15-Mar-19 00:00:22

Both my dc have eczema, but what worked for one didn't for the other. My ds (12) finds bath emollient works best. Leaving a coating on his skin and then applying a moisturiser in the morning. We've tried shower emollient creams but they just don't seem to work. Cotton clothing or lose clothes especially at night, and more moisturiser at the first sign of an itch.
Dd needs to have moisturiser on constantly, but the bath emollient has no effect, but the lush shea butter massage bar works brilliantly, as her skin is so dry. However once she's in the sun her eczema seems to disappear. It's getting better as she gets older, but still the same rule of natural material for clothing especially pjs.
Were redness free for both dc atm so it seems to be working.

trendytoddler Fri 15-Mar-19 01:07:49

My DD2 has ezcema since she was little and is now 4. I use non-bio detergent and no fabric conditioner to wash her clothes. I am constantly looking at clothes labels to make sure I purchase 100% cotton. We moistures 3 times daily if not more and I feel aveeno works best. Some days it's in control and then she can have a flare up. I think it would be a good idea to do a food diary to see what might cause it because sometimes it can be food.

Marmite83 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:36:00

Regular moisturising, teaching her to stroke her skin when it itches rather than scratch (easier said than done) and not bathing her too often.

Swimming can be a bit of a nightmare but it's such an important life skill for her to learn. We cover her in emulsifying ointment before getting in the pool and she wears a sunsafe swimsuit that covers her arms and legs so she isn't slippery to hold. When we get her out we wash her straight away with a very gentle wash, we've found the Dove baby wash to be the best for her so far, then we apply lots of moisturiser before getting her dressed. It definitely helps.

snoozetastic Fri 15-Mar-19 18:10:05

Use non-bio liquid
Extra rinse in washing machine
Not using fabric conditioner
Bathing in not too hot water
Bathing infrequently
Lots & lots of moisturising
Steroid creams on prescription to stop a flare
Keeping dust at bay in bedroom

snoozetastic Fri 15-Mar-19 18:15:44

My bedtime hack for older children is a silk duvet for breathability and/or cotton cellular blankets depending on temperature

scarfattack Sat 16-Mar-19 07:04:58

My dd doesn't have it bad but does get patches on her face which seem persistent at times. Diprobase was always what worked but the last time they appeared diprobase didn't work. I tried all sorts and pharmacist had no more suggestions. I tried lansinoh (as it'd been so wonderful on my sore, cracked nipples with baby ds) and it cleared it up in days.

jitterbugintomybrain Sat 16-Mar-19 07:10:01

Non bio washing oowder, no fabric conditioner. Suncream makes it flare up so avoid if possible.
Cotton sheets.

Bodicea Sat 16-Mar-19 07:29:56

Eldest has severe eczema.
Dermol 600 is a bath emmoliant that also has an antiseptic/antimicrobial ingredient in it. This stops the spread of bacteria on their skin. When we run out of this he always flares up. Can't get on prescription any more where we are but buy online in bulk.
Don't be afraid to use steroids including stronger ones. Use them in ointment form rather than cream.
Moisturise after every bath, before and after swimming.
Don't fall for all the miracle moisturisers you hear about. Any basic moisturiser will do (plainer the better). Ointment for when skin gets really dry ( don't put fingers in the tub, use a spoon).
Get referred to a dermatologist, even now little problems come up and seeing one annually really helps us, we often switch up our routine.
Turn down the thermostat.
Wash with fairy non-bio and put in an extra rinse.
Natural fibres. Don't wrap them up too much.
Scratch sleeves for babies are great. You can get on amazon.

goldenretriever1978 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:18:08

A dehumidifier, wearing cotton, being well hydrated and moisturizing a lot helps.

mummy81 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:29:48

I try not to bath my son too frequently as it really dries his skin making the scratching worse. Also loose clothing helps.

lillypopdaisyduke Sat 16-Mar-19 16:02:14

My DS eczema has seemed to have got a little better over the last 6 months, he got it really bad bad flare ups behind his knees and elbows, my tips are fragrance free detergents (the eco ones on offer are really good) nightwear and sheets 100% cotton ALWAYS, and at bathtime warm water and dead sea bath salts make a difference.

Montydoo Sat 16-Mar-19 16:09:45

we went gluten free, and swapped some dairy for almond products for my DS (age 8) this took around 6 weeks to see a difference, but the eczema has improved, along with the usual cotton sheets and pyjamas and additive free foods and detergents helps also

JellySlice Sat 16-Mar-19 22:24:10

What managed, no, cured, my dc's eczema was discovering that they were CMP intolerant and going strictly dairy-free. Total transformation.

Until that discovery, the best I could do was not wash their faces with water. Instead I used a bland emollient on a damp facecloth to clean their faces. Plain water made the eczema on their cheeks and chins flare up.

Boulardii Sat 16-Mar-19 23:08:47

Jelly slice: did your dc have any gut- related symptoms like diarrhoea or poor growth? I was told it was unlikely to be food intolerance related unless there were also some digestive symptoms.

Arbies22220 Sat 16-Mar-19 23:30:26

Childs farm, cotton pjs, cooler bath temp

lovemyflipflops Sun 17-Mar-19 12:07:36

a silk pillowcase for the head, cotton sheets, dead sea salt baths and additive free detergents seem to help, when it flares up behind the knees Sudocrem works wonders for the symptoms

snowplop Sun 17-Mar-19 14:15:49

Fewer showers and baths definitely.

ILoveMyCaravan Sun 17-Mar-19 17:07:04

Two children with eczema. When they were babies we would put emollient cream all over with every nappy change, even if they didn't look sore.

After much experimenting we found a bath wash which didn't make them scream in pain. Now they are teenagers they still use a body wash with no nasties in it. They have never used soap.

I think the most important thing we did was to dress them entirely in 100% cotton clothes and use an eco friendly non bio washing powder and tumble dry for softness instead of using fabric conditioner.

School was a major problem as they insisted on them wearing 'uniform' which was Teflon coated nylon trousers and polyester shirts. No! That wasn't going to happen so I sent them in 100% cotton cargo style trousers and bought cotton polo shirts. School hated me for it, but tough luck!

We spent a fortune on suncream which had the least chemicals in and covered up/shade where possible as we found they were worse in the heat.

Looking back, I think they had too many baths, but it was a question of keeping them clean and not letting the sores become infected. Hydrocortisone cream was used but only over the top of emollient and as a last resort.

bridgetosomewhere Sun 17-Mar-19 19:35:22

Try to avoid baths and have showers

Coconut oil called kokoso all over and steroid cream on stubborn red bits

Main thing tho was finding the cause which for us was dairy and once we cut it out she was so much better!

She also had sore tummies every day so we knew something wasn't right

Lush dream cream was really good too when her skin was terrible

Azra12 Mon 18-Mar-19 03:33:19

4/8!!!
Didn't think it'd be so low confused

esperly Mon 18-Mar-19 13:02:56

I've found luck with a better diet, and especially with la roche posay products like the oil cleanser, and tolerance range.smile

newbiezzz Mon 18-Mar-19 13:55:38

Oilatum in the bath really helps calming the dry skin

Shiraznowplease Mon 18-Mar-19 15:08:33

I use where possible cotton and natural fabrics. I buy a lot of my daughters clothes from Frugi which is organic cotton. I use emollients several times a day with nightly emollient baths, pat dry skin not rub and avoid steroids apart from sever flare ups.
I have tried to keep away from all artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives which seems to have made a big difference

Tentomidnight Mon 18-Mar-19 18:24:21

Moisturise as often as possible and buy cotton pjs and clothes rather than man made fibres.

HotChocolateLover Mon 18-Mar-19 20:10:24

Moisturiser applies liberally to the affected area always seems to help. Also wearing cotton clothes rather than polyester and ensuring that the clothes aren’t too tight fitting. I use non bio washing powder too.

Popcornandbuttons Mon 18-Mar-19 22:07:58

My husband has bad eczema much worse than my kids who just get patches on their arms.
We do the following:
- reduce baths to only when needed as it dries out the skin
- apply moisturiser
- use non-bio washing powder and gentle fabric conditioner
- always wash new clothes before wearing them
- buy cotton clothing

fishnships Tue 19-Mar-19 10:15:58

Use pure cotton sheets and duvet cover and add oilatum to the bath and gently apply to the skin. Non-bio detergent and use scratch mitts if tiny.

burwellmum Tue 19-Mar-19 11:53:45

We live in a very cold house which helps, he wore shorts unless there was snow on the ground until he went to secondary school, various creams have worked at different ages so I hesitate to recommend.

Larnipoo Tue 19-Mar-19 12:00:42

We use Sanex at bathing and aqueous cream from GP

PopWentTheWeasel Tue 19-Mar-19 13:06:00

We layer the moisturiser. Vitamin E first if needed, then a thinner moisturiser like cocoa butter, then a thicker vaseline like moisturiser over the top and clothes on top of that. We have to stick to non-scented soap and except it to get worse in hay fever season.

I tend to put more emolient on the kids at night than in the morning, partially because it can soak in overnight and partially because I'd otherwise get it stuck on uniforms and my work clothes and the thicker emolients are a nightmare to get out of clothes.

flowersfromheaven Tue 19-Mar-19 13:27:27

Oilatum in the bath did seam to help my daughter and then I moisturized her skin everynight before bed to help her from scratching.

Glos52 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:53:35

My 4yo has eczema on the backs of her knees. I have found that Weleda skin food has worked wonders. It's almost gone since we started using it.

keepforgettingmyusername Tue 19-Mar-19 16:12:24

Cutting out cows milk and using goats milk instead, baths with just plain water and forgoing the quick wash cycle on the washing machine did the trick for us.

keepforgettingmyusername Tue 19-Mar-19 16:12:47

Sorry oat milk not goats milk!

Cismyfatarse Tue 19-Mar-19 17:53:54

Lots and lots of creams.

Cool, cotton clothing and no wool or anything made of nylon or polyester.

Washing powder that is as gentle as possible - this is trial and error.

Cool at night and during the day.

Oats in a sock in the bath. My Mum swore by eating oats as well so we eat a lot of porridge!

Scratch mittens at night or gloves as they get older.

Sheets changed frequently and all cotton too.

Accept that you have to live with it - it is not curable but can be managed.

And change creams fairly frequently. I find they stop working after a while. We are currently finding the Lipikar stick thing is brilliant for facial eczema which can't have any steroids on it.

Tanfastic Tue 19-Mar-19 20:12:12

My ds has it when he was a baby till he was about 4. I found bathing him less and using aqueous cream liberally worked the best for him.

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 19-Mar-19 22:42:27

My DDs have both had instances of mild eczema, but fortunately nothing too bad or long ;lasting.
Natural fabrics whenever possible. Non-bio detergent and gently fabric softener. Surcare is very good- I also find that their washing up liquid is the only one that doesn't make my hands flare up, so hopefully the DDs will be able to help with washing up when they get bigger.

Amaksy Tue 19-Mar-19 23:14:47

Be on the look out for flare ups and try to dress in loose clothing preferably 100% cotton. Stay moisturised helps too so cream cream cream lol

Liciaflorrick Wed 20-Mar-19 14:16:27

DD aged 4 has chronic severe eczema. We have found that no one emollient works for very long and we have to keep changing them. For us, when the skin gets very hot, the best thing is some frozen veg held on the bit which is most itchy.
We found the emollin spray cream brilliant for when we are out and just can't apply thick emollient creams.

Liciaflorrick Wed 20-Mar-19 14:17:19

I mean a pack of frozen veg obviously!

Throgglesprocket Wed 20-Mar-19 15:14:28

My youngest daughter uses Aveeno as a moisturiser and Betnovate for any flareups, my eldest daughter has to use hibiscrub to keep on top of her Eczema on her hand, and also for showering for the eczema on her legs, but since using it, it's been a lot better. Moisturisers everywhere in the house and car so they're available when needed!

disney91 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:22:45

Honestly the best thing for my eczema was either Vaseline or cold compress. Nothings really going to get rid but that defiantly takes off the edge and soothes. I've been using this method since I was a baby. Apart from steroid cream which I got as an adult that's all that worked x

Knowidea Wed 20-Mar-19 16:39:40

DS has had eczema since his 2nd lot of jabs. He seemed to have picked up a virus which has left him with really dry and itchy legs and ankles. We occasionally use hydrocortisone for flare ups but keep it at bay by reducing diary in my diet as I'm breast feeding, baths with no products in, only bathing 4 times a week, some burst and bees baby oil and using sudacremem and ecoderm cream mixed up together to keep the moisture in. Johnson products completely dried his skin out when he was a new born too. I just thought he didn't like bath times but in hindsight the creams and products were obviously making his skin hurt.

formerbabe Wed 20-Mar-19 17:27:14

My ds is ten...I keep tubs of cream around the house and he can apply it anytime he feels he needs to as well as morning and evening.

Mrdarcyswife Wed 20-Mar-19 18:32:02

After a lot of trial and elimination when DS was a toddler:
We have used the same detergent for 11 years, because I know that the wrong washing powder can cause flare up.
Also never any fabric conditioner.

DS still uses Tesco baby shampoo for hair and body as again anything else causes a flare up

Also only sunsense suncream

All of this is particularly important now as his go to moisturiser for over a decade (aveeno) is now causing a reaction. Don't know if they've changed the recipe or if he's just developed a sensitivity to it.

Will try some of the creams recommended on here

Mrdarcyswife Wed 20-Mar-19 18:33:00

Also

When he was small he wore gloves at bedtime (with the thumb cut off so he could suck his thumb!)

buckley1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:55:40

My son suffered with eczema for a while - it's cleared up now fortunately, but when it was active - we used the following methods;

- Avoided swimming - chlorine seemed to trigger a flare-up.
- Cotton bedding & cotton PJs
- A fan on when in bed - soothed by the white noise & the cool air gave him some relief from the itching.
- Used Aveeno Itch Relief balm for itchiness & Aveeno Eczema Therapy daily.
- Stopped using fragranced bath foam/shower gel - we were given Oilatum to add to bath & used aqueous cream to wash with.

chelseaMumma Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:00

Moogoo irritable skin cream is absolutely amazing!! Stops skin itching so helps to break the itch/scratch cycle allowing skin to heal.

https://moogooskincare.co.uk/skin-problems/irritable-skin-balm.html

lemonjam Thu 21-Mar-19 13:11:06

I’ve found the child’s farm cream really good, although often need a course of hydrocortisone to get on top of things.

OrdinarySnowflake Thu 21-Mar-19 16:03:55

My child only has it very mildly, we moved to just washing his body with water, using sensitive shampoo on his hair. When he gets a flare up, aveeno cream does seem to help. Making sure his clothes don't rub in hot weather as well.

Some suncreams set him off, so now can only use 2 brands.

Vickir1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:49:03

We found that sleeping in shorts helped the itch even in winter as it stopped him getting too hot and irritated.
We have started using child’s farm moisturiser and it is the one thing that seems to be helping

UpOnDown Thu 21-Mar-19 18:15:12

MOisturise more than you think you need.

welshmardymum Thu 21-Mar-19 18:26:46

I try not to get her too hot as i think sweating makes it worse and i always use non bio washing powder - i think bio makes it worse.

Kayyyyyy Thu 21-Mar-19 18:28:21

My child has had rashes on her cheeks since she was 4 months. Doctors only diagnosed at 7 months she has eczema. She’s 8 months now. I have been prescribed a steroid cream to use when it flares up. Doctor suggested I keep her skin moist with a good moisturiser/olive oil all the time which seems to have been helping. She had a flare up on her legs which went away just with the moisturiser. I try keep the moisturisers as natural as I can.

TartanTrousers Thu 21-Mar-19 18:52:55

Dermol in the bath (available via prescription) has really worked for us and we keep on top of it by using the Child’s Farm baby moisturiser.

Elliejojo Thu 21-Mar-19 19:07:16

I’m really careful about fabric softener and washing powder. We can only use certain brands otherwise there is a flare up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »