Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet users share their top tips for encouraging their children to write, with Premier League

(271 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Nov-18 11:07:47

This activity is now closed

Writing, be it in a diary, a poem, a short story or even a letter can be a great way to help children explore their creativity whilst inspiring them to write more. With that being said the Premier League would like to know your top tips for encouraging you DC to write more and explore their creative side.

Here’s what the Premier League have to say: “Our Premier League Primary Stars education programme uses the appeal of football to inspire kids to learn, be active and develop important life skills. More than 15,000 primary schools use the free teaching resources for maths, English, PSHE and PE and take advantage of incentives and competitions available for their school. However, sometimes young writers need a little extra boost and that’s why we are proud to bring back our Writing Stars poetry competition, which last year inspired more than 25,000 children to write a poem. This year’s competition theme is diversity and, with the support of a fantastic judging panel including singer Olly Murs, former footballer Rio Ferdinand, Children’s Laureate Lauren Child and poet Joseph Coelho, we are encouraging children to pick up a pen and explore what it means to be beautifully different and wonderfully the same. To read some of the poems already submitted by celebrities, please click here.”

Do you find that reading to your children frequently helps develop their imagination and also inspires them to write stories too? How about encouraging your children to keep a diary to write their everyday experiences in? Do you make sure that your DC write thank you letters after their birthday and Christmas in order to help them practice writing? Do you go on days out that will help them explore the things around them and develop their imagination?

Whatever your top tips are, share them on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Dec-18 13:12:10

Congratulations to MAForster for winning the £300 voucher smile

angiehoggett Sun 09-Dec-18 21:06:15

encouraging their own imagination by creative play like painting and drawing

laurapotz Sun 09-Dec-18 18:44:57

I read lots with my daughter and always have done. The more stories she reads the more ideas she gets for her own.

rocketriffs Sun 09-Dec-18 14:03:45

My son loves reading and he does like to make up his own stories. I encourage it by suggesting he illustrates his stories by drawing or even photo illustrating his stories, for example, he may build a Lego castle or make up a story about dinosaurs which he can photograph his toy ones to go with his stories. The creativity and imagination inspires him to write and of course an being avid listener when he has completed his written work and reads it to you along with praise and appreciation gives him the urge to write more creative stories.

sootyo Sun 09-Dec-18 11:56:44

Lots of story reading. Taking it in turns to make a story by contributing a sentence each

jennie1984j Sat 08-Dec-18 23:11:53

I read to them every night and we do a picture after every story to bring out their creative side

clareycat Sat 08-Dec-18 20:51:16

We gave our little girl a glittery notepad and novelty pens from the age of 2 and she's always drawn and wrote us little "letters". She's 4 now and can write many words and loves to draw, we get several pictures every day and they are amazing for her age. We also play letter and word games on apps if we need to kill some time and whenever it's somebody's birthday we get her to write in their cards and draw them a picture.

dollybabe Sat 08-Dec-18 19:27:10

My tip is to use drama / play to act something out and use visual props to make a story up first. Children get incredibly excited about it and therefore it makes it fun.

Also use a dice game to create a character / setting and storyline and play a game.

Use story stones and talk about a story out loud first .

hibbertheather Fri 07-Dec-18 20:28:35

I think restricted device time definitely helps!

colleenw Tue 04-Dec-18 13:47:57

We read to our children and let them read to us. They have great imaginations and will put the books down and tell their own made up story.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 03-Dec-18 20:31:03

Play schools! It’s amazing how keen they are to read, write, tick things off. We also give rewards for this.

elkiedee Mon 03-Dec-18 18:41:21

I read to them and got dp to read to them from when they were very little, and now encourage them to go to the library. DS1 has just started secondary school and is doing very well in English and the creative writing part of that. But he doesn't do so much on his own that's not part of school work. I am thinking I should encourage it, as I was always doing my own writing at his age and I entered some competitions.

I have some books I was sent to write reviews of and I have a bit of a backlog myself. They include some children's and YA books that I thought one or both of my kids would be interested in and I'm hoping that DS1 (11, year 7 at school) and I can work together on reviews of the ones that he's read, and that maybe he can get confidence to work on further reviews of his own. But as he's started secondary school he has a lot of homework to do including regular writing tasks anyway. So maybe a tip should be get started at primary school when they don't have too much other homework.

AbbeyBat Mon 03-Dec-18 14:31:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Wavingwhiledrowning Mon 03-Dec-18 11:45:01

Reading is a big part of our homelife - either structured with adults reading, or children having a go themselves (usually trying to remember how a familiar book went). We've also had a running made up story going for a couple of years now (fairies in the garden) which occasionally I fuel by putting a little fairy door on a tree or chucking a bit of glitter on the grass. They love it and it's a great way of getting them to go to bed with the promise of another installment. Often they'll add their own details and plots, and DS has just started drawing pictures of the fairy houses too.

IsabellaCombe Mon 03-Dec-18 10:07:46

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 03-Dec-18 09:50:49

Rs=Reading hmm

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 03-Dec-18 09:49:43

The amount of rs we do definitely helps, but also by giving them a job to do if they say they are bored - suddenly they've just had a great idea grin I am definitely hearing less of the word bored and have noticed more creativity in what they do

buckley1983 Mon 03-Dec-18 00:05:46

Learning to read has inspired a love of writing for my son. I always kept a diary when I was younger & I keep a yearly journal for him too - he loves reading it together at bedtime & has started writing in it himself too.
I love it when I'm tidying round the house & I'll find a little list of something he has written. I think writing is such a wonderful way to express yourself & I actively encourage it.

Anj123 Sun 02-Dec-18 21:42:50

We always read to my daughter when she was younger (now she’s 14). Luckily she enjoys reading and writing so needs little encouragement. We have always encouraged her to write thank you letters when she was given gifts and she keeps a diary. From when she was a baby she has seen me reading and writing so it’s just become part of what we usually do.

HollyStorey Sun 02-Dec-18 13:40:20

kakejames Sun 02-Dec-18 12:36:11

juju3 Sun 02-Dec-18 11:43:43

always spend quality time looking at and listening to their efforts

Redundancygirl Sun 02-Dec-18 10:13:41

One of the best ways I found to get my reluctant writer to write is to use incentives! ie - you need to write this to get this Blue Peter badge or beavers badge etc.

starrynight19 Sun 02-Dec-18 10:00:28

I firmly believe encouraging a love of reading helps a lot when it comes to writing.

My dd loves to write and has a great imagination which stems from her love of reading.

jhgillies Sat 01-Dec-18 23:23:53

Our kids are home educated so encouraging their creative side is completely on me. I have adopted a curriculum that centers on the humanities and relates the STEM subjects around that... My daughter is now 13 and loves writing as well as many different arts and crafts. My son is 16 and so gifted in History and loves writing well thought out essays.

I believe it is we as parents and the world view we share that drives our children's views on creativity. Schools are focused on STEM without realising that in the not so distant future, AI is going to be more than capable of doing most of the things that we are insisting our children learn now. They will be left bereft of the soft skills that AI will never be able to replicate. Writing moving prose, articulating the nuances of human dynamics, relationship, compassion and empathy. The arts are critical to creating and sustaining connection between each other.

In short, as a family we have focused on our children's ability to communicate with depth and passion, whether it is creatively or critically. Writing is an essential component to one's mental well-being. And requisite should our children desire to be in positions of peace in a technical and mechanised world. So, we haven't pushed them, but rather created an environment that supports the outgrowth and nurturing of these diminishing skills.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »