Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Mumsnet users talk all things deodorant with Dove

(428 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Sep-18 10:57:45

This activity is closed

Deodorant for a lot of people is a staple in their daily routine and there will come a time when you have to buy your child/children their first deodorant too, if you haven’t already! Therefore Dove would love to find out about all your experiences and preferences when it comes to deodorant for both your child and yourself.

Here’s what Dove have to say: “At Dove, all of our anti-perspirant products deliver reliable all day protection against sweat and odour with a gentle formula, which cares for delicate underarm skin. We know that you want to make the best choices for your teenagers when it comes to the products they use on their skin. We want to hear what is important to you when it comes to selecting products for yourself and your teenagers!”

What deodorant do you buy and why? Did you buy a specific kind of deodorant for your child’s first one? Did you have a chat with your child on how and why they needed to start using it? Do you or your child prefer spray, roll-on or stick? Are there any scents you love or do you go for the ones without scents? What is the most important factor for you when buying a deodorant for yourself and/or your child? What about anti-mark deodorants?

Whatever you and/or your child’s experiences are around deodorant, share them on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

MTBMummy Fri 07-Sep-18 12:05:39

Funnily enough DD's first deodorant was Dove, but it really didn't last well, possibly as she is a very active child, and being a preteen smelling "off" was affecting her confidence.

I've since moved her on to Mitchum unscented stick (which is what I use) and she feels so much better.

We've had a long chat about how deodorant isn't a substitution for cleanliness, and how to keep herself clean.

As for the smell, like me she's very sensitive to perfume smells so says she prefers the unscented as no one them knows she's wearing it

LittleMe03 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:08:08

I use sure spray deodorant or dove cream. I buy Lynx for DSS (12) as it's what all of his friends use so is what he wanted to use too.

I like the sure spray is I buy the invisible pure one, it is not a strong scent and does the job perfect.

I also like the dove cream as it makes your skin feel really smooth and also does a good job.

I alternate between using the two, will usually go for whichever of the two is cheaper when shopping although at the moment I have both grin

BristolMum96 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:22:12

I buy whatever roll on is on offer. None of them are any better or worse for me. Hate spray - the cold feeling makes me jump! Prefer anti mark/coloured ones so they don't ruin clothes or show through clothes

Tidypidy Fri 07-Sep-18 12:31:26

I've used Dove roll on for years as it really works for me. I feel dry and comfortable, no itching and no white marks on my clothes.
My 11yo dd has used it regularly for the last year and my nearly 10yo ds has recently started to use it too. Ds has very sensitive skin and reacts to everything except Dove. My dh prefers Dove Men spray deodorant.
We all use Dove soap in the shower - we're big fans!

jackstini Fri 07-Sep-18 12:31:59

I prefer stick and alternate between Dove & Sure depending what is on offer. Tried Mitchum but really didn't like it - the 'unscented' smelt odd!

DD is 12 and she wanted me to 'just buy anything roll on' for her first. Still has roll on but likes to choose by smell now

Important that it doesn't mark my clothes so I like the invisible versions smile

PhilomenaButterfly Fri 07-Sep-18 12:32:11

DD and I both use Keep it Kind, as it's gentle and it's a deodorant, not an antiperspirant.

Don't Dove know that antiperspirants are unhealthy? We all need to sweat.

DarkDarkNight Fri 07-Sep-18 12:37:22

I use Sure Max Protection that you use at night or equivalent from another brand (whatever is on offer at the time). Then I use a spray in the morning, a colour safe one and preferably antibacterial.

I have a crisis of confidence every so often that I should be using something more natural and gentle, but don’t trust them to actually work.

My pet hate is when you get a dodgy spray that comes out all powdery and is unusable. Does that happen to anyone else or just me?

IToldYouIWasFreaky Fri 07-Sep-18 12:38:05

I always use the blue Sure roll on. It dries quickly, doesn't leave white marks, is effective protection and has a pleasant but not too strong scent. Job done!

DS (10) has recently started using a roll on (Nivea one) I don't want him using sprays every day...too many bad memories of Lynx overdose from my teenage years! He does have a couple of small Dove sprays from a set he got at Christmas and likes to use them on special occasions. DP uses a Dove spray and I love the scent of it...not as overwhelming as some men's deodorants, just a nice fresh smell.

DS does a lot of sport so we've chatted a lot about the importance of showering afterwards and then applying deodorant as a preventative, rather than using it to try to cover up bad smells envy

Mumof4under10 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:38:12

I use sure or dove deodorant. I normally go for an anti mark/ invisable one.

My son uses lynx dark temptation which smells really nice so I do pinch a bit of that sometimes smile

DarkDarkNight Fri 07-Sep-18 12:39:22

I’m a long way off needing to think about this for my son, but I would probably use a natural product for as long as I could, and not give him something that will block his pores.

purplepandas Fri 07-Sep-18 12:42:25

I just go for a roll on cheapie one if I am honest. I am less bothered about specifics unless it has a really unpleasant smell. My DC are too young as yet but we are getting there I think.

dementedpixie Fri 07-Sep-18 12:42:41

I like the dove cream deodorant and the dove roll on (the 100 colours one) and love the smell of dove original spray. Also currently using unscented sensitive dove soap

LassoOfTruth Fri 07-Sep-18 12:55:50

I use Dove roll on now and again but find the one that works best for me is Mitchum. Either stick or roll on but definitely unscented! I always seem really sensitive to the perfumed ones - they make me sneeze grin

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 07-Sep-18 13:02:12

I buy Dove if it's on offer but Sanex is my go-to. I prefer a roll on but my teens prefer a spray and do like Dove.

cannotmakemymindup Fri 07-Sep-18 13:05:00

My Dd likes to pretend she's putting deodorant on even though she's definitely to young for it.
I wish ones like Dove worked for me however I excessively sweat so usually have to go for more expensive ones. I currently use Mitchems Gel which doesn't leave white marks and lasts for a couple of days. Oh and minimal scent as I want to smell like my perfume/body spray and not deodorant.

Sierra259 Fri 07-Sep-18 13:19:59

I tend to use roll on daily as I find the aerodols irritate my throat, and the scent of the roll ons is much more subtle. Used a Vaseline brand one for ages, but can't seem to get it now so have moved to a Sure one. I do keep an aerosol in my locker at work as it's just more practical to use if I want to freshen up during the day - will just get whichever one is on offer! My DC are both a way off thinking about using it yet.

HonestReally Fri 07-Sep-18 13:27:22

I use Dove Maximum Protection which is expensive but I'm careful to only ever buy it discounted. It's often £5 but I aim to pay around £3.50. It lasts well and feels and smells nice. I dont like obviously scented products so it's good for that too.

I find the packaging very wasteful though. I guess Dove are trying to justify the high cost but it's a ridiculous to put it in a box. There is only 45g of actual product!
Also it's a dumb applicator because you always end up not being able to use all of the product as you can't get the last bits out without dismantling the applicator.

If I'm paying £5 (or even £3.50) I don't want to waste any of it.

The product itself is the best though. I prefer it to the equivalent Sure product.

...but seriously guys, sort out you packaging. 😠😠😠⛏

frogface69 Fri 07-Sep-18 13:35:20

Dove roll on is my favourite. I have very sensitive skin and it doesn't irritate me. My mum used it and bought me some. I have tried others, but have been very sore. Cheaper brands are a false economy .

Butterfly1975 Fri 07-Sep-18 13:35:27

I use Bionsen and also now buy this for my DD. I am concerned about chemicals in deodorant but never found any of the more natural alternatives to be effective!

I was interested to hear recently that scientists may be able to develop a more effective way to target the bacteria that actually smells rather than stopping the natural sweat process completely.

asuwere Fri 07-Sep-18 14:27:00

I prefer to use a stick and will buy whatever is on offer when I need it. DS1 started using deodorant when he went on a school residential! He chose based on what his mates have! He would prefer a spray but it makes the whole upstairs smell so I get him a roll on!

lexer Fri 07-Sep-18 14:27:40

It is very difficult to find deodorants without aluminium of some sort (people are buying Pitrock and the like thinking it's free of aluminium...it's not!) I use Weleda or Bionsen.

bluebump Fri 07-Sep-18 14:36:40

In the summer I always use Dove either in a roll on or the stick, always in the original blue lid smell. In the winter when I’m less likely to be sweaty I use a crystal deodorant or a natural Weleda one.

TeaAddict235 Fri 07-Sep-18 15:14:36

What deodorant do you buy and why? Did you buy a specific kind of deodorant for your child’s first one? Did you have a chat with your child on how and why they needed to start using it? Do you or your child prefer spray, roll-on or stick? Are there any scents you love or do you go for the ones without scents? What is the most important factor for you when buying a deodorant for yourself and/or your child? What about anti-mark deodorants?

I buy a Garnier one currently but am very non loyal when it comes to deodorant. I grew up using Mum deodorant following my own mum, but that has become increasingly hard to find of late, hence why I am currently searching for my one. I actually prefer gels as they stain far less and dry quicker and also don't leave a cakey feeling under my arms. They often smell fresher. But as I also have a 4.5 year old and a toddler, I was forced to make a panic purchase at the supermarket and hence the current Garnier one. We prefer fresh scents, actually unisex scents. Long ago when living in Sheffield i used to buy one by Amplex which was incredible. It was used by DH and Myself and it is not one that I can find.

Bring back clear gel roll ons please or gel sticks!!!

goose1964 Fri 07-Sep-18 15:36:31

I prefer role on ,DD and all the men spray, which I hate because it stinks. My main gripe is finding one that doesn't sting. Even some for sensitive skins do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: