Talk

Advanced search

Read the stain stories MNers shared with Tesco F&F

(185 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Jul-18 09:57:58

NOW CLOSED

"Urgh. What is that on you?" They're home from school, nursery or the holiday playscheme you booked them into and the story of the day is written on their clothes. There's a bit of pink chalk on their shirt (a hopscotch grid in the playground at morning break), a custard dribble on their collar (the chocolate pudding was drenched in it) and mud on their ankles ...at least you hope it's mud.

So what stains have your kids come home from school or nursery with? Are they easily identifiable? Do the stories behind the stains give you a glimpse into your child’s life away from you? Share your pictures and stain stories with Tesco F&F and be in with the chance to win a £300 Tesco voucher. We’ll create a tongue-in-cheek quiz "Name that stain" from them in the near future.

Here’s what Tesco F&F have to say: "All kids come home with stains - it's the sign of an active day. But thanks to Tesco school uniforms special stain-repel technology and 100 day guarantee you can be rest assured that your kids will look as good on the first day everyday."

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 12:17:18

Congratulations to @BristolMum96 whose name was pulled from the prize draw to win the £300 Tesco voucher!

Llandough32 Mon 10-Sep-18 19:26:26

I had a call from the school to say my son and fallen and his scab had been ripped off, they said there wasn't much blood. When he came home could see blood on his trousers just below the knee but nothing too bad. Then I turned them inside and I was shocked by how much blood there was. Amazingly after one wash it all came out and they were from Tescos lol. I have pics but they make me go green lol. Welcome to see them though :-)

mumsbe Mon 10-Sep-18 17:27:27

Funny thing my daughter would come home with paint and food on her back. I wondered how this was possible and nothing down the front. Then I seen she wipes her hands on her back.
Unfortunately my son has been copying her so I now have 2 problems.

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Sun 09-Sep-18 13:42:56

It’s usually pen, paint or pasta sauce in my experience. There’s never been anything unidentifiable although I’m always amazed at how far they can extend. DC, 4, has just started school and managed to get paint on his shoes!

Sammyislost Sun 09-Sep-18 10:33:19

A black pen that never washed off a polo shirt. Had to throw away.

Suncream on polo shirts! All yellowed around the neck, perhaps where it was sweated off. I had to throw them away too! It was expensive suncream too.

DinosApple Sun 09-Sep-18 07:26:12

Honestly, first day back at school Friday and the teacher thought painting would be a good pastime...

Blue paint on a brand new polo shirt.

cannotmakemymindup Sat 08-Sep-18 11:17:00

Dd comes home with paint, mud from nursery but also they make their own playdough so that results in a grey floury mixture which definitely needs a good wash or two to get out. Everything is always tummy and chest height. Plus wet sandy bums to.

plusonefail Fri 07-Sep-18 20:43:09

Whiteboard marker pen stains are such a nuisance! I have never found a way to successfully remove them.

Pigeonpea Thu 06-Sep-18 13:22:04

Spaghetti bolognese and chocolate - they are the bane of my life - brand new T-shirts ruined within a day of wearing because of spaghetti bolognese stains

nerysw Sun 02-Sep-18 20:51:33

There are so many, yellow necks on school shirts from sun cream, pen and felt tip, spaghetti sauce and the red mud from the school field being the worst.

cathwarbur Sun 02-Sep-18 20:04:52

Grease stains really bug me, I would like something easy to use on dry grease stains to remove them, any chance for good advice?

CopperPan Sat 01-Sep-18 20:57:57

We've been using colic drops for my baby which has produced some odd yellowy stains - it seems to sink right into the fabric and can't be washed out, more like a bleach stain. She often spits it out due to the taste so it's stained a lot of clothes, but I suppose there are worse stains you can get with baby clothes!

malisa Sat 01-Sep-18 20:29:39

Oh yes, stains! I do get those a lot and it comes in all shapes and types. Mostly they are food stains and also as I call them a little accidents with the mud after rainy day. Tomato or chocolate shakes stains are very difficult to get rid off. I always dreaded when you put them in a clean and freshly ironed white shirt and after school they back with a huge splodges of blackcurrant juice or tomato sauce. Another are stains from board marker pen, these are tough. That's the life, my children are active and love playing so I need to deal with all kind of stains the best possible way. On the tough stains I would rub extra powder or soak overnight. On the white shirts I would gently rub a bit of bleach. With the girls is a bit easier because they are more careful especially the older ones. I think is great when uniform fabrics are durable and withstand often wash.

vickyors Sat 01-Sep-18 14:04:27

Whiteboard pens drive me crazy. Oh, and mud. My daughter's school they play 'snakes' basically lying in the mud..!!

Ruh100 Sat 01-Sep-18 11:06:56

Orange juice stains. We love the free piece of fruit for kids when shopping. But the juice goes everywhere. Often still stains clothes after the wash. Thankfully the sun bleachs a lot of stains back out.
New to Mumsnet so it won't let me upload a photo yet. If I remember I will upload some once that function is enabled on my account.

rosablue Sat 01-Sep-18 00:44:37

DS1 (13) plays rugby. The team's kit is black and white stripes with lots of white. During the winter when he plays, he usually comes back covered in mud and his team mates are just as bad - I am really amazed that the pitches aren't being rapidly worn away as they just bring so much mud home with them...

When it comes to washing his kit - specifically his top (with the helpful instructions to wash dark and light colours separately - so onto an impossible task before we start with black and white stripes!) the stripes have just lost their whiteness over the years and are now stained a pale mud colour - particularly noticeable when somebody new starts so they have a bright white stripes on their top. I don't want to bleach the top as I worry about the black stripes but I would love to know how to deal with black and white stripes to keep the black dark and the white bright!

StickChildNumberTwo Fri 31-Aug-18 14:51:49

Blue paint at nursery pickup the other day suggested much fun had been had....

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Wed 29-Aug-18 22:32:21

The most common stains my two came home with were food stains, particularly DS. I'm not sure what used to go on at lunchtime but most of his lunch would be down his uniform at the end of the day.

xFreePeaceSweetx Wed 29-Aug-18 22:22:11

Grass stains all over dh's rugby shorts.

SpectacularAardvark Wed 29-Aug-18 18:33:44

The yellow baby antibiotic (I forget the name) is an absolute sod to get out. Whoever's bright idea it was to add fluorescent yellow dye to medicine that poorly babies will spit or dribble everywhere, clearly doesn't have any kids!

Beeperbird Wed 29-Aug-18 18:16:08

I collected my son from nursery one day and it looked like he was covered in blood - including his shirt, hands and face! I was quickly reassured that it was beetroot stains from the cooking activity they’d done that day. The stains came out of his clothes easily but it took days for them to come off his skin!

Belmo Wed 29-Aug-18 10:39:24

Paint sometimes-which I don’t mind really- and lunch most days, which annoys me as she’s an unbelievably messy eater!

GetKnitted Tue 28-Aug-18 23:10:08

acrylic paint...... the child in question was wearing a full art apron, so got the paint in the only exposed area, on the collar!!? what was the paintbrush doing up there!

Byrdie Tue 28-Aug-18 13:34:12

A huge lipstick stain on the shoulder blade lf a white polo PE top... 'i fell into the teachers face'. I didn't ask my 5 year old what happened beyond that but did admire the teachers shade of lipstick. (Which came out fine!)

TheClitterati Tue 28-Aug-18 01:51:23

I just retired some of last years white polos with unshiftable unfathomable stains on them.

Sun Cream is the worst on whites. It does seem to be impossible to get that yellow stain out of fabrics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »