Talk

Advanced search

Read the stain stories MNers shared with Tesco F&F

(185 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Jul-18 09:57:58

NOW CLOSED

"Urgh. What is that on you?" They're home from school, nursery or the holiday playscheme you booked them into and the story of the day is written on their clothes. There's a bit of pink chalk on their shirt (a hopscotch grid in the playground at morning break), a custard dribble on their collar (the chocolate pudding was drenched in it) and mud on their ankles ...at least you hope it's mud.

So what stains have your kids come home from school or nursery with? Are they easily identifiable? Do the stories behind the stains give you a glimpse into your child’s life away from you? Share your pictures and stain stories with Tesco F&F and be in with the chance to win a £300 Tesco voucher. We’ll create a tongue-in-cheek quiz "Name that stain" from them in the near future.

Here’s what Tesco F&F have to say: "All kids come home with stains - it's the sign of an active day. But thanks to Tesco school uniforms special stain-repel technology and 100 day guarantee you can be rest assured that your kids will look as good on the first day everyday."

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Treaclespongeandcustard Fri 20-Jul-18 13:41:27

Always spaghetti bolognese! DC loves wearing white and pale pink but then always chooses slag Bol when we are out.

sharond101 Fri 20-Jul-18 20:42:52

SLIME!! hate the stuff!

danigrace Fri 20-Jul-18 21:15:59

Berry and orange!! Always gets all-over my little one

Scotgirl80 Sat 21-Jul-18 00:27:22

Poop explosion...

SweetheartNeckline Sat 21-Jul-18 07:49:51

I don't have a tumble drier and dry everything outside (unless the weather is really, reallt awful). I do think the sun fades or removes most stains, especially baby poo! Is it something to do with UV breaking down the bilirubin that makes the poo yellow?

Like PP I find tomato- or curry- based sauces that go on hot hardest to get out. School uniforms are never in a state to hand down!

MakeTeaNotWar Sat 21-Jul-18 08:11:39

I've never found a way to get ink stains out. Also I can't bear my daughter's yellow Brownie's t-shirt. No matter how I wash it, it ends up a muddy colour with all vibrancy gone

QueenOfPharts Sat 21-Jul-18 19:31:57

My 1 year old ds did sensory painting play and got stuck in...yes 6 weeks on the evidence is still there...nursery obviously unaware of ds love of sitting in things!

BarryTheKestrel Sun 22-Jul-18 10:21:35

There is something about the mud at nursery. I don't know what it is but the dusty mud seems to stain everything so despite soaking and washing it still all comes out slightly brown!

The spaghetti Bolognese obsession is strong here too causing lots of stains!

gunnergirl Sun 22-Jul-18 15:41:12

Brand new school shirts with black marker on tried everything still won't come off

ThreeTimesMama Sun 22-Jul-18 20:44:55

My son everyday comes back from school in stained uniform. White stain (toothpaste)- I will hear story of brushing his teeth in school. Green and yellow stains (watercolours) - he will tell me how he was painting something. Black stains (most difficult - felt pen) - he was writing letter.

voyager50 Mon 23-Jul-18 09:46:08

I have no idea what is was but he came home with a rusty orange stain all over his white school shirt - I couldn't get it out.

sealight123 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:02:22

My daughter is forever covered in stains (we go through a loooooottt of polo shirts)

She is not a child that likes to sit still so she always has whatever she has had for lunch on her...for later...and a lot of mud and grass stains from her constant cartwheeling and bug hunting.

If she isn't covered in some sort of muck, she's not had a great day lol

BaconCrispsGone Mon 23-Jul-18 11:11:23

my dc always come home from school really clean- then cover themselves with mud and pen and food

Playdohnut Mon 23-Jul-18 11:30:25

Board marker. Has ruined several tops! Blood down the back of a top - apparently there was a head clash between DC and another child, who has a nosebleed.

Sammyislost Mon 23-Jul-18 14:45:46

Okay, so my worst stain is SUN CREAM!!! It's seriously stained their school uniform, and won't come off!! Yellowy stains around the neck and arms where they've sweated it off. Gross.

buckley1983 Mon 23-Jul-18 22:23:04

I bought my son 4 new white polo shirts 3 weeks before the end of the Summer Terrm as I couldn't shift the stains on his old ones.
3 weeks later - all the new shirts have had to be recycled because they too are so badly stained & nothing will shift them!
All of them have suncream stains along the colour & sleeve hems, one has a big blob of peach coloured paint on the front, another has a nose bleed stain down the front - tried to treat it but it just made the blood stain a gross mustard colour, the third has dirt/dust smears from top to bottom - literally looks like he has been rolling in the dirt - the fourth has several splodges of some unidentifiable substance (origin: possibly lunch) below the buttons.
I have given up with white shirts!! I've bought blue for September. Fingers crossed!

RubaDubMum89 Tue 24-Jul-18 08:29:01

What's that stain? 😂 Three guesses! This was last year when DD managed the most epic poo... Ever! I genuinely couldn't believe it. It wasn't even up the back of her! How does that happen?!

Needless to say, this vest was promptly binned!

Goingovertosusanshouse Tue 24-Jul-18 11:05:27

Whiteboard pens and meatball sauce always makes me want to cry!

Goingovertosusanshouse Tue 24-Jul-18 11:05:48

Oh and suncream is awful!

ohfourfoxache Tue 24-Jul-18 18:02:23

DS1 got blue paint all over a chunky cream cotton jumper once. It was an expensive one that I picked up in the sales, so it wasn’t a “messy play” one. But I made the mistake of letting him wear it to go to the child minder.

It literally took weeks of soaking/washing/soaking/washing to get it out. By the time it was out the care label had it’s instructions washed out.

He now only wears it if there will be absolutely no mess

Mamabear1986 Tue 24-Jul-18 20:32:10

A few weeks before the summer holidays I went to collect my son from nursery. It was only until he was in front of me that I noticed, what looked like poop on the back of his trousers! Thankfully, my son informed me that he fell into the pan of mud from the mud kitchen grin.
It was the first day wearing those trousers as well! Boys will be boys so they say confused

ifigoup Tue 24-Jul-18 22:15:58

Ours are always from nursery, and the wide colour spectrum means I assume they’re from the non-washable paints that they inexplicably use.

PickAChew Tue 24-Jul-18 23:53:04

Ds2 often gets home with marker pen all over his white polo shirt.

That stuff don't shift.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 25-Jul-18 08:08:44

Oh lord another sponsored thread about stains / laundry! Does MN Towers think this is all women worry about?

WarmHugs Thu 26-Jul-18 12:23:01

I love guessing what was for lunch by the stains. What did you have to eat today? Green stuff, and then a red slop. Now school have sent home a menu, I no longer have to guess, they spoil all my fun!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »