Talk

Advanced search

Read the stain stories MNers shared with Tesco F&F

(185 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Jul-18 09:57:58

NOW CLOSED

"Urgh. What is that on you?" They're home from school, nursery or the holiday playscheme you booked them into and the story of the day is written on their clothes. There's a bit of pink chalk on their shirt (a hopscotch grid in the playground at morning break), a custard dribble on their collar (the chocolate pudding was drenched in it) and mud on their ankles ...at least you hope it's mud.

So what stains have your kids come home from school or nursery with? Are they easily identifiable? Do the stories behind the stains give you a glimpse into your child’s life away from you? Share your pictures and stain stories with Tesco F&F and be in with the chance to win a £300 Tesco voucher. We’ll create a tongue-in-cheek quiz "Name that stain" from them in the near future.

Here’s what Tesco F&F have to say: "All kids come home with stains - it's the sign of an active day. But thanks to Tesco school uniforms special stain-repel technology and 100 day guarantee you can be rest assured that your kids will look as good on the first day everyday."

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

BristolMum96 Thu 19-Jul-18 15:06:04

Given up trying to identify stains on my 8 month old now grin

sprinklesandsauce Thu 19-Jul-18 16:02:03

Black lines all over a polo shirt - charcoal that won't wash out

Poo stains all over a skirt when she wasn't allowed to go to the toilet. Teacher learned her lesson the hard way.

Felt tip pen, paint, clay, the list is endless. Nothing ever washes out.

vickibee Thu 19-Jul-18 16:09:44

My sons whir polo shirts for school are gleaming, presoak in bleach solution and it gets stains out. The hardest stain to get out is tomatoey pasta sauce like lasagne and peach juice.

andreaca Thu 19-Jul-18 16:46:01

I`ve seen the lot with my two from school, stains, the worst being, Tip-ex, chewing gum, Ink stains, and curry, all from school. You would think because I have a teen it would stop, but no, it`s still just as bad, I`m gonna try Tesco this year for my son`s trousers.

Exploring Thu 19-Jul-18 16:57:49

Blooming Biro stains in every shirt pocket. This is after months of fading..

MummyBtothree Thu 19-Jul-18 16:59:48

Tomato based sauces like bolognese from school dinners and black marker pen on my sons white polo shirts.

carolacr Thu 19-Jul-18 17:07:56

If u hang your stained washing out when it rains, the rain gets out quite a few stains. Bit difficult to do in our present heatwave. Not complaining. I remember the summer of 76 and now we'll all remember the summer of 2018, 42 years later. At this rate it'll be the summer of 2060 for the next 1.

ALemonyPea Thu 19-Jul-18 17:18:40

DS3 once had a fluorescent green stain all the way round his collar. It was from the dress rehearsal of their nativity play, he had the part of an alien and his face was being painted green.

asuwere Thu 19-Jul-18 17:21:10

I've found the stains get worse as the DC get older! All the paint/food from littles ones wash out but the Biro/sharpie/acrylic paint from older DC is a different matter! (Especially DS1 helpfully writing his name on his shirt cuff just to check if the pen would wash off!)

TheWizardofWas Thu 19-Jul-18 18:30:36

Stains everywhere. I am bad but DD is monstrous. Her T-shirt is an archive of all the day's meals, plus felt tip, biro, toothpaste. Worst thing is she is really into white now.

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 19-Jul-18 18:43:12

Felt tip- everywhere!! Every bit of school uniform including socks plus various body parts (???!)

Also many aspects of the school dinner (often ketchup or pasta sauce), blood (DS prone to nose bleeds), and general dirt stains!

White t-shirts don't stay white for long!!

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 19-Jul-18 18:47:54

My son’s just got really into football and he is the goalie. The dried on mud / sweat stains on his white t-shirt are spectacular!

MrsFrTedCrilly Thu 19-Jul-18 18:49:57

My child applies her school dinner like a face pack, so I can generally guess what they’ve had for lunch by the state of her school uniform.
Mostly it washes out but I’m yet to
shift the suncream I might have dropped on her school shirt blush

bridgetosomewhere Thu 19-Jul-18 20:49:06

School paint is the worst - what do they put in that stuff? Can never get it out.
And why don’t they wear their painting aprons???

namastayinbed Thu 19-Jul-18 21:00:03

Board marker pen all over school uniform is my stain bugbear.

shuggas Thu 19-Jul-18 21:33:06

Tomatoes are a nightmare in this house, we have a lot of tomato based meals.. even I have been known on ahem more than one occasion to have a good tomato stain! Recently stung squirting tomato purée on homemade pizza.. missed the pizza and went all down me instead blush that and some wired black marks.. like pumps on a wood floor but on clothes? No idea..

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 19-Jul-18 21:33:38

I am stuck inside a windowless office all day so have no idea what the weather is like. I can tell if it’s been good if dd has, yet another, sun cream mark on her clothes.

Sleepysausage Thu 19-Jul-18 22:28:38

DD can't remember what she had for meals at nursery. Untill I point to the different stains and she'll suddenly remember and tell me what it is and how much she ate!

LilMrsSilly Thu 19-Jul-18 23:48:35

Paint!can never get it out completely.
Pasta sauce, curry sauce
Older DC felt tip, marker pen stains
Fruit juice

DarkDarkNight Fri 20-Jul-18 02:45:59

I noticed this stain after the first wash and nothing has shifted it. It’s not grease, it may be bubble mixture which is apparently difficult to remove sad

claza93 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:36:41

Suncream does not come off my sons white school polo shirts!!
The tomato based stains are also a nightmare to try and remove - god knows what they put in the sauce at school!

champagnesupernouveaux Fri 20-Jul-18 06:50:57

Tomato stains are the worst here. My DS comes out of school covered. His classmates appear to be relatively clean. Either he's throwing it at himself, or he's the only one eating anything tomato-based. However, somebody recommended drying the, in the sun as the sun bleaches it out. Genius, and something I did not know until a few weeks ago.

Winter isn't a problem. His school jumpers are dark. The stain is hidden.

At home, I'm a meal planner. I confess to dressing my children in dark colours when we have pasta or curry or anything that might stain.

foxessocks Fri 20-Jul-18 07:11:04

Strawberry juice all down my ds brand new t shirt he was wearing for the first ever time.

Headfullofdreams Fri 20-Jul-18 07:36:37

Tomato stains and curry are always the worst!

Treaclespongeandcustard Fri 20-Jul-18 13:41:27

Always spaghetti bolognese! DC loves wearing white and pale pink but then always chooses slag Bol when we are out.

sharond101 Fri 20-Jul-18 20:42:52

SLIME!! hate the stuff!

danigrace Fri 20-Jul-18 21:15:59

Berry and orange!! Always gets all-over my little one

Scotgirl80 Sat 21-Jul-18 00:27:22

Poop explosion...

SweetheartNeckline Sat 21-Jul-18 07:49:51

I don't have a tumble drier and dry everything outside (unless the weather is really, reallt awful). I do think the sun fades or removes most stains, especially baby poo! Is it something to do with UV breaking down the bilirubin that makes the poo yellow?

Like PP I find tomato- or curry- based sauces that go on hot hardest to get out. School uniforms are never in a state to hand down!

MakeTeaNotWar Sat 21-Jul-18 08:11:39

I've never found a way to get ink stains out. Also I can't bear my daughter's yellow Brownie's t-shirt. No matter how I wash it, it ends up a muddy colour with all vibrancy gone

QueenOfPharts Sat 21-Jul-18 19:31:57

My 1 year old ds did sensory painting play and got stuck in...yes 6 weeks on the evidence is still there...nursery obviously unaware of ds love of sitting in things!

BarryTheKestrel Sun 22-Jul-18 10:21:35

There is something about the mud at nursery. I don't know what it is but the dusty mud seems to stain everything so despite soaking and washing it still all comes out slightly brown!

The spaghetti Bolognese obsession is strong here too causing lots of stains!

gunnergirl Sun 22-Jul-18 15:41:12

Brand new school shirts with black marker on tried everything still won't come off

ThreeTimesMama Sun 22-Jul-18 20:44:55

My son everyday comes back from school in stained uniform. White stain (toothpaste)- I will hear story of brushing his teeth in school. Green and yellow stains (watercolours) - he will tell me how he was painting something. Black stains (most difficult - felt pen) - he was writing letter.

voyager50 Mon 23-Jul-18 09:46:08

I have no idea what is was but he came home with a rusty orange stain all over his white school shirt - I couldn't get it out.

sealight123 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:02:22

My daughter is forever covered in stains (we go through a loooooottt of polo shirts)

She is not a child that likes to sit still so she always has whatever she has had for lunch on her...for later...and a lot of mud and grass stains from her constant cartwheeling and bug hunting.

If she isn't covered in some sort of muck, she's not had a great day lol

BaconCrispsGone Mon 23-Jul-18 11:11:23

my dc always come home from school really clean- then cover themselves with mud and pen and food

Playdohnut Mon 23-Jul-18 11:30:25

Board marker. Has ruined several tops! Blood down the back of a top - apparently there was a head clash between DC and another child, who has a nosebleed.

Sammyislost Mon 23-Jul-18 14:45:46

Okay, so my worst stain is SUN CREAM!!! It's seriously stained their school uniform, and won't come off!! Yellowy stains around the neck and arms where they've sweated it off. Gross.

buckley1983 Mon 23-Jul-18 22:23:04

I bought my son 4 new white polo shirts 3 weeks before the end of the Summer Terrm as I couldn't shift the stains on his old ones.
3 weeks later - all the new shirts have had to be recycled because they too are so badly stained & nothing will shift them!
All of them have suncream stains along the colour & sleeve hems, one has a big blob of peach coloured paint on the front, another has a nose bleed stain down the front - tried to treat it but it just made the blood stain a gross mustard colour, the third has dirt/dust smears from top to bottom - literally looks like he has been rolling in the dirt - the fourth has several splodges of some unidentifiable substance (origin: possibly lunch) below the buttons.
I have given up with white shirts!! I've bought blue for September. Fingers crossed!

RubaDubMum89 Tue 24-Jul-18 08:29:01

What's that stain? 😂 Three guesses! This was last year when DD managed the most epic poo... Ever! I genuinely couldn't believe it. It wasn't even up the back of her! How does that happen?!

Needless to say, this vest was promptly binned!

Goingovertosusanshouse Tue 24-Jul-18 11:05:27

Whiteboard pens and meatball sauce always makes me want to cry!

Goingovertosusanshouse Tue 24-Jul-18 11:05:48

Oh and suncream is awful!

ohfourfoxache Tue 24-Jul-18 18:02:23

DS1 got blue paint all over a chunky cream cotton jumper once. It was an expensive one that I picked up in the sales, so it wasn’t a “messy play” one. But I made the mistake of letting him wear it to go to the child minder.

It literally took weeks of soaking/washing/soaking/washing to get it out. By the time it was out the care label had it’s instructions washed out.

He now only wears it if there will be absolutely no mess

Mamabear1986 Tue 24-Jul-18 20:32:10

A few weeks before the summer holidays I went to collect my son from nursery. It was only until he was in front of me that I noticed, what looked like poop on the back of his trousers! Thankfully, my son informed me that he fell into the pan of mud from the mud kitchen grin.
It was the first day wearing those trousers as well! Boys will be boys so they say confused

ifigoup Tue 24-Jul-18 22:15:58

Ours are always from nursery, and the wide colour spectrum means I assume they’re from the non-washable paints that they inexplicably use.

PickAChew Tue 24-Jul-18 23:53:04

Ds2 often gets home with marker pen all over his white polo shirt.

That stuff don't shift.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 25-Jul-18 08:08:44

Oh lord another sponsored thread about stains / laundry! Does MN Towers think this is all women worry about?

WarmHugs Thu 26-Jul-18 12:23:01

I love guessing what was for lunch by the stains. What did you have to eat today? Green stuff, and then a red slop. Now school have sent home a menu, I no longer have to guess, they spoil all my fun!

Daffodil2016 Thu 26-Jul-18 17:39:26

Whiteboard marker pens!

UpOnDown Thu 26-Jul-18 19:26:46

The worst was from lilies on a white polo shirt.

Enigma222 Fri 27-Jul-18 05:09:12

My girls were polo shirts to school - both come back with paint stains that never come out no matter what I use! I have given up.

4yearsnosleep Fri 27-Jul-18 06:27:31

My daughter once came home with creosote all over her school coat. Nothing would shift it so it had to go in the bin. Thankfully it was a £2 find from the charity shop and fairly rough any way.

Second worse was pick up from Sports Club, she went wearing a white vest top and apparently covered herself in coloured sun lotion and then rolled in the dirt hmm

Havingkittens04 Fri 27-Jul-18 08:04:42

I let DD do some painting at the table wearing a new plain yellow top with a crafting bib-type top over it. The bib rose on her lap, the top underneath was exposed, the watery green paint sloshed onto her lap and after 3 washes it still looks tie-dyed...x

smithsurvey14 Fri 27-Jul-18 10:00:50

Whiteboard marker leaves permanent black stains on white shirts and Sun cream leaves them yellow for many, many washes.

MargoLovebutter Fri 27-Jul-18 15:32:35

What is the black stuff that primary school children endlessly rub their cuffs in? Classroom always looks fairly clean, so what the hell is it? Wish I knew and it never quite comes out even with hot washes & stain remover - you just end up with grey cuffs.

DoJo Fri 27-Jul-18 18:00:58

My toddler managed to get his hands into some lovely smelling, but incredibly greasy, cream while I was running his bath. That took a lot of washing just to get it off his hands, let alone his clothes...

DrZoidbergsTentacles Sun 29-Jul-18 13:03:28

I think i might have ruined every school summer dress we have with suncream - I slap it all over my daughter before school, which has managed to turn the collars and shoulders a really unsightly yellow. Anyone got a fix? I've tried everything!

rupert23 Sun 29-Jul-18 19:49:00

my son got new white school pe kit and got pizza stain on it the first day. i tried everything to get it off. lots of vanish eventually faded it.

AVT5 Mon 30-Jul-18 12:13:02

Banana stains are horrendous. And paint from school and nursery

Jeffingandeffing Mon 30-Jul-18 19:59:13

I second the sunscreen stains. The stuff gets everywhere!

ncullinane Wed 01-Aug-18 14:19:46

Thankfully the worst stains my sons come home with are just from painting at preschool, but those baby poo stains are a pain, however hanging in the sunshine does wonders.

mrsminx Wed 01-Aug-18 21:14:48

My son came home from school with his t-shirt covered in coloured pen. I asked what had happened to his t-shirt and he told me he had drawn a map then said 'don't worry mummy its washable'!! He was actually right, it did wash off!

abitoflight Wed 01-Aug-18 21:19:13

I kept all clothes from DD1 to DD2 except aged 2ish when she was feeding herself and tomato stuff would not come out of tops
Also hair chalk - omg what a palava
Nothing got it out of hair - cut out in the end
Biro on a new linen dress of mine. Faded enough to wear it after multiple soakings in oxiaction

ColinsVeryJolly Wed 01-Aug-18 22:41:52

This term it’s been mostly suncream stains on the collars of DS2’s shirts. They look dreadful but I’ll put up with it to be sure he’s covered.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Wed 01-Aug-18 23:56:38

Teaching my kids blood is a protein stain and comes out with cold water, not warm. This was the other day and they were v interested! They had mozzie bites and had bled a little on their bedsheets.

waterlily200 Thu 02-Aug-18 07:42:38

My DD came.home from nursery head to toe in multi coloured chalk....or so I thought. It wasn't chalk however it was powdered paint and the kids had been given it to throw on the ground to make fireworks. I stood looking at her in the car park trying to work out how to get her in the car, did I strip her first? Lift her direction the seat? Make her walk along side the car the whole way home?

In the end I remembered we had a blanket in the boot. It was a little past it's best but I wrapped her in it and put her in the car. I stripped her in doorway at home to find her skin was covered too so stripping her in the car park wouldn't have worked. We had a very colourful bath and I washed her clothes with old towels and a load of stain remover. They actually came out clean! I couldn't believe it.

JudgeRulesNutterButter Thu 02-Aug-18 08:05:40

Whiteboard markers. Absolute nightmare, nothing shifts it. Bring back slates and chalk, say I... confused

sarat1 Thu 02-Aug-18 09:33:50

As long as stain isn't brown, I don't generally mind. Its generally some leftover yogurt or tomato sauce.

llewejk Thu 02-Aug-18 20:40:32

The worse one we get is white board pens!! Never coming out!

princesspeppax Fri 03-Aug-18 08:22:43

Paint. Always paint over every single outfit that gets wore to nursery - never seems to properly wash out and seems to leave a lasting faint stain hmm my dd seems to get more paint over her face and clothes than on the actual paper blush

boptanana Fri 03-Aug-18 13:36:40

Mainly the dreaded whiteboard pens!!

defineme Fri 03-Aug-18 17:32:20

It's the too cool for a pencil case and keeping pens in their blazer pockets that meant kids shirts are covered in ink. The worst stain ever was the enormous nose bleed...it looked like a crime scene!

Lariflete Fri 03-Aug-18 18:27:13

I love seeing the stains on my child's jumper / polo top as it gives me clues that I can use to prompt him! E.g. grass stain on trousers 'Did you play football today DS?', paint on jumper ' What did you do in art today?' Otherwise, I get 'I don't know what we did/ We did nothing'.
Daughter is much better at remembering her day and not messing her clothes up completely by Monday afternoon!

Lariflete Fri 03-Aug-18 18:30:32

Although, I should add that every day for about a month, DD came home from her pre-school nursery with a stain that looked like bleach and would not come out despite my best efforts. Turned out to be toothpaste that she was dribbling on herself during after-lunch teeth cleaning!

icklekid Sat 04-Aug-18 03:41:20

Suncream is my weekly battle at the moment. My solution is minimal clothing..although they then seem to cover themselves in felt tip etc. Paddling pool seems a good solution to stain remover though 😂

Butteredparsn1ps Sat 04-Aug-18 18:33:48

Just spilled beetroot salad dressing down a newish white linen top angry

This could be a live stain thread!

I'm going to try fairy liquid & cold water, which is my usual go to stain remover.

I'll report back grin

StickChildNumberTwo Sat 04-Aug-18 19:29:34

Suncream stains are the ones I can't shift - it seems to be the all day stuff I put on the kids in the morning so there's a hope of them still being protected by lunchtime that does it (and I've wrecked tops of my own when I've used the kids' cream). Haven't found a solution sad

Treaclespongeandcustard Sat 04-Aug-18 23:01:16

Chocolate lollipop on a lace dress ... my DD’s favourite no less confused

HoneyDragon Sun 05-Aug-18 00:11:50

Iodine....bloody dreadful stuff.

Although since the demise of their online store and lack of any stock in store I’m not sure where Tesco are going with an ad campaign confused

MummySparkle Sun 05-Aug-18 12:20:32

Bloomin dry wipe pen!! Does not come out. The closet I've got to getting rid of it has been scrubbing it with a scoured! It's easier to get off the Tesco jumpers than the o es from our local school uniform shop though

DS also comes home covered in lunch, powder paint, mud and often some sort of floury play-doh paste.

Visioncroquet Sun 05-Aug-18 16:04:53

I find anything tomato base the worse!!!

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 05-Aug-18 16:19:01

Ds is always coming home with grass stains as he rolls down the hills at school!

HALA Sun 05-Aug-18 20:07:10

My son was frying sausages, and the oil spitted onto his white hoodie!

ClangerTwanger Sun 05-Aug-18 22:06:40

Gravy. Everything is all gravy 😂

Sierra259 Sun 05-Aug-18 22:38:08

Red play sand all over his coat one time. I was shock and I could see the other mums on the playground trying not to laugh grin.

For us it's mostly food stains, occasionally paint. Though socks have been distinctly grey with dust after all this dry weather, and needing a good soak before I wash them!

lovemyflipflops Mon 06-Aug-18 12:09:53

My sons blue school sweatshirt goes to school clean and pressed and comes back with orange pasta sauce, yellow custard, a variety of paint splats on the sleeved, and in the winter months the sleeves are often crusty from bogies and snot ! Other than pasta sauce, I have not really had a problem with stains. Just glad I bought several versions of F & F uniform so no washing every night.

gerispringer Mon 06-Aug-18 12:30:10

Grass and mud stains on knees of trousers - I wish older boys still wore shorts to school as they used to (all the year round).

EinsteinsArousedSausagesHCB Mon 06-Aug-18 14:08:51

Usually pen stains from school, also regularly covered in glue, paint and yoghurt, and occasionally blood from nosebleed.

GoodHeavensNoImAChicken Mon 06-Aug-18 14:11:11

Tar down the side of a light blue jumper having leaned against a utility pole watching the train go past on the seafront...it was such a hot day the tar melted and stuck to the jumper 😩

oohyoudevilyou Mon 06-Aug-18 16:04:11

Sunscreen makes nasty yellow stains round the neck of white T shirts, so I try and choose coloured tops for hot sunny days.

PickwickThePlockingDodo Mon 06-Aug-18 16:06:58

Glue! What on earth do they do at school and why are there so many glue stains on their uniforms? I'm surprised the school has any glue left, the amount of it that comes home with them!

starlight36 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:19:18

Sunscreen cream stains on necks of white tops and whiteboard pens. I sometimes get the cream stains out but only ever manage to gradually fade the whiteboard markers. Quite irritating as our school has the kids using these everyday so they are a frequent stain.

Montydoo Mon 06-Aug-18 18:27:02

When my DS sneezed whilst eating pureed organic carrot - no matter what I tried I could NOT get rid of this stain from my white cotton blouse, other than that it's green paint whilst making a farmyard painting for the back of the classroom, pasta sauce, and as my DS gets frequent nosebleeds - dried on blood on a white polo shirt.

janekirk Mon 06-Aug-18 23:56:58

Grass stain embeded with bird poo just to make it look more colourful!

KittyKat88 Mon 06-Aug-18 23:57:04

DD1 always seems to get food stains - tomato of course, so impossible to remove! DD2 comes home with the felt-tip pen marks. What can you do!

BellaVida Tue 07-Aug-18 10:15:47

My 4 DC come home with every stain imaginable.
The worst was whiteboard marker which they use for learning phonics & numbers. I never managed to get the black stains out of her sweatshirts.
The stains I struggle with most now are mud/ grass stains on white PE shorts and socks. Whoever chose that uniform needs to have a serious rethink!!! I can never get the socks white again and eventually end up having to buy new ones.

Stringofpearls Tue 07-Aug-18 10:26:08

I don't think you'd want a photo but my 11 week old baby girl had a poonami incident whilst wearing a beautiful white gap dress to dinner the other day. To change her I had to walk her through the whole restaurant,.I tried to make it look subtle but everyone knew what it was!

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 07-Aug-18 13:49:40

My teens seem messier than when they were toddlers. Make-up seems to stain so much. It does wash out with a bit of extra attention (hot wash, fairy, vanish, bit of a scrub) but it's even on dds curtains!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »