Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Is it good for kids to be bored? Share your thoughts with BIC KIDS for the chance to win a £300 voucher - PLUS enter this year’s drawing competition!

(391 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Jul-18 09:57:18

NOW CLOSED

In celebration of the launch of the BIC KIDS Young Artist Award created to help children across the nation conquer their boredom over the summer months, we’re keen to hear your opinions on whether you think boredom is good for children and what you do when “I’m bored” strikes.

We are partnering with BIC KIDS again this year to challenge all budding artists aged between 5-11 to create their most imaginative drawings for a chance to see their artwork displayed on a huge billboard! Entries are open from Monday 2nd July – Sunday 5th August and 13 talented finalists will be selected by a panel of experts to represent their region in a public vote.

Rebecca Huda, BIC® UK and Ireland’s Stationery Product Manager says: “We’re delighted to be returning with our BIC® KIDS Young Artist Award for 2018. Last year’s competition was a great success and we were overwhelmed by the quality of the artwork we received. We can’t wait for this year’s imaginative entries to start pouring in, ready to be displayed across the country, there’ll be some proud parents for sure.”

As well as the priceless opportunity to have their drawings published, the 13 deserving finalists will win a hamper full of BIC® KIDS goodies, with the crowned champion receiving their very own creative arts party!

Once your children have created their masterpieces, you can enter them into the competition easily and quickly by visiting bickids.com/uk/youngartistaward and uploading the artwork before the deadline on Sunday 5th August.

Everyone who posts on this thread to share their thoughts on boredom and/or to share the drawing they have entered into the competition will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

NB - you will only be entered into the BIC KIDS drawing competition by submitting your drawing via the link above. However, we also encourage you to share your drawings on this thread to be entered into the £300 voucher prize draw.

Pascha Mon 02-Jul-18 10:15:06

I'm happy if they are a bit bored for some of the time, as long as they have some inspiration from the world around them they will happily make something up to fill the time. It helps if they have something to look forward to of course, to know the boredom isn't finite.

Oddly enough neither of my children have any affinity with drawing or art generally so you won't see any efforts from them here or in the competition, they'd rather poke their own eyes out. Their artistic creations tend towards the 'installation' style of various Lego/cardboard/household furniture/implements joined in some way to make a thing or an idea.

BristolMum96 Mon 02-Jul-18 11:32:37

I don't think kids should be bored, but it's important for them to learn how to entertain themselves

FreshEyre Mon 02-Jul-18 12:01:27

I'm afraid DC have little interest in drawing/crafts so unlikely to get an entry from this household!

I do think it's good for children to have space to entertain themselves and sometimes being bored is ok. As an adult I also believe it's a good thing to be happy in your own company and to be able to find something to do.

We're often guilty of filling every hour of our children's lives - school, activities, sport, family stuff and any 'down time' ends up being in front of a screen. I do occasionally turn off all the tech and send DC to find something else to do. After a bit of a moan I'll find them with their head in a book or doing some Lego so it definitely does work - should probably do it more often.

Ratbagcatbag Mon 02-Jul-18 12:14:58

I've been guilty of being one of those parents that felt the need to fill every hour, and used to use the iPad between. However, since being a single parent and recognising the need to limit times on the iPad, my five year old has surprised me with what she will get up too.
Being bored definitely sparks her imagination and before you know it we have dolls riding on horses to chase dragons and rescue little sister dolls.
Or she'll sit and pretend write in her private diary.

I think it's definitely good for them to be able to entertain themselves, however they choose, and sometimes that choice is driven by the fact that they haven't their whole day organised for them.

Caribbeanyesplease Mon 02-Jul-18 12:21:49

Out of boredom can develop the most wonderful imaginary games. I see this often with my two.

I have no problem with my children being bored in occasion. They soon sort themselves out. Whether that means pulling a book off the book shelf they may not otherwise have selected; painting; on the trampoline.

Rarely lasts long and motivates them to sort themselves out!

DayKay Mon 02-Jul-18 12:46:06

My dc love arts and crafts. They have lots of paints, glue, pens at home so they happily go off and do something creative when they have some time.
I think it’s important for children to get used to time with nothing allocated so they can find their own things they love to do.

MargoLovebutter Mon 02-Jul-18 12:53:19

I don't think anyone should really be 'bored'. To be bored, means you haven't managed to occupy yourself in someway - even if that is just daydreaming.

If the question actually means should DC have unstructured time off to do their own thing - then definitely yes. Children need to learn how to amuse themselves, do their own thing and just 'be'.

BevBrook Mon 02-Jul-18 13:02:20

I definitely think they should be bored, as this teaches them to do their own thing, and not be afraid of time when nothing in particular is happening, which hopefully protects them from over-reliance on phones etc later on. The trouble is, it is impossible for a child with access to a games console and smart TV to get bored since they have such a range of films, TV and games to choose from available at any time. That's one of my main reasons for limiting screen time - so the kids get bored and are forced to find other ways of entertaining themselves.

MrsMarigold Mon 02-Jul-18 13:30:10

I think a degree of boredom is good provided they have the ability to entertain themselves but some children lack this and need structure.

Drawing is popular in our house, so os painting, although I hate the mess that goes with painting, every once in a while I just ignore it and let them experiment.

asuwere Mon 02-Jul-18 14:14:16

I think there is a difference between children saying they're bored and them actually being bored. Sometimes they just need to get a chance to figure out how to entertain themselves rather than needing entertained by an adult constantly.

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 02-Jul-18 16:31:02

I think it’s important to have a mixture. I try and plan a balance, so we will have some busy days / weeks and then some “doing nothing” days. Our summer is so busy, but there’s one week which I am just keeping empty so we can fill it however we like. I love it when the children come up with their own amusements on a boring day. But I would agree with others that the downside is I have to really box off their screen time or they would just be pestering all day. We set timers on their tablets to stop that happening.

I had lots of free time as a child and on the one hand that meant I did lots of imaginative play etc but on the other hand having no hobbies meant I ended quite depressed as a teenager. I’m trying to strike a better balance with my children and encourage the importance of hobbies and of mooching about.

Last weekend the children had a lovely day in the garden painting pebbles all sorts of different colours, it kept them happy for hours! With four children it is rare for any of them to complain that they are bored because there’s always something going on

JellySlice Mon 02-Jul-18 16:49:43

Boredom is absolutely important! From earliest days I practiced a policy of Benign Neglect, with the result that two of my dc never say "I'm bored". Literally and honestly never. Not even in the summer holidays.

Boredom is necessary in order to learn how not to be bored. If a child is always the passive recipient of entertainment, how will they ever learn to entertain themselves in a constructive way?

danigrace Mon 02-Jul-18 16:52:56

We always have a "bag of tricks" to hand but I have read that boredom helps build creative thought

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Mon 02-Jul-18 18:00:06

I wish they were happy being bored. Jeez, go and play with some Lego or something! hmm

fishnships Mon 02-Jul-18 18:54:14

Yes, I think it's important that kids have enough time and space to feel bored and let their minds wander - that's how many of the inventions we take for granted were borne!

Gazelda Mon 02-Jul-18 18:55:27

I think it's good for children to be bored occasionally. But not so much that they get used to it! DD definitely gets creative when she has the odd moment of boredom - she usually writes a set of rules for us about her latest whim!
But too much boredom can, I think, lead to laziness in some DC. I know that I was bored a lot as a child and used to spend hours doing nothing, not even daydreaming. I didn't develop the wish to be creative. I just wiled away my time with nothing to show for it.

foxferry Mon 02-Jul-18 18:56:09

Mine have recently started saying they're bored, but they are a bit too young to really know what it means. I don't really do all that much with them at home, we prefer to go to parks or just out. At home they play amongst themselves and play in the garden etc. If I feel they need a little input I'll start drawing or put some music on and they usually copy me! Sometimes a film is the best thing or sometimes it's time for food. The day passes soon enough.
I remember as a teenager the real feeling of boredom that came with a lack of freedom to do things I wanted to. I truly hope I can provide a better time for them when they're older.

MissEP Mon 02-Jul-18 19:30:51

I think it's good for kids to be a little bored from time to time. For kids to be able to entertain themselves and find something they like to to do themselves rather than expecting a parent to come up with something for them all the time, it's a good life lesson!

sharond101 Mon 02-Jul-18 20:37:51

I think they need to be allowed the chance to amuse themselves and grow their imagination but I hate to see my two bored. It feels like I have failed as a Mum

stickladilove Mon 02-Jul-18 22:43:37

My kids invent most wonderful imaginary games when they are bored. It could be building a pirate ship from boxes or making daisy chains in the garden.

dadshere Mon 02-Jul-18 23:14:21

My dd only recently understood the concept of boredom. Now, she realises that shopping is boring, housework is boring. Normally she snaps out of it quickly and makes her own fun.

QueenOfPharts Mon 02-Jul-18 23:30:28

I very strongly agree with some PPs. I dont want my kids to be bored but I do want them to be able to entertain themselves. I'm happy to do activities with the kids but need a balance as I would like them to be independent too. My children have lots of toys/ games that they can do independently and I encourage them to do so. If I get bored I suggest going for a dog walk...they normally find something else to do prontogrin

NauticalDisaster Tue 03-Jul-18 06:37:48

I don’t think feeling bored at any given instant is bad as long as it inspires you, in this case your DC, to do something else. I’m happy if after watching a movie my DC say I am bored, let’s do something, it means they want more, they want activity, and they want to do it together. I let them lead as to what we do, they like planning.

MakeTeaNotWar Tue 03-Jul-18 07:07:16

My two - aged 5 and 7 - don't really get bored. They are always scheming up some imaginary adventure or other and when they tire of that, they chill out watching TV or ipads. If they really feel like they have nothing to do. I suggest some chores to get on with and they soon find themselves far too busy to help out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: