Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Mumsnet users' tips for making clothes smell great

(373 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-May-18 11:50:05

NOW CLOSED

It can be difficult to ensure that clothes always smell good - especially if you have messy toddlers or teenagers that leave P.E kit in bags for weeks. Fairy Non Bio would like you to share your tips for making sure your clothes smell great.

Here’s what Fairy Non Bio has to say: “At Fairy Non Bio, we know that even if you have very sensitive skin, you still want that freshly washed smell on your clothes and fabrics. We have perfected our formula on our detergents and fabric conditioner so that you don’t have to compromise on either. We want to know your tips for great smelling clothes!”

Do you have a way of storing your clothes that means they don’t pick up nasty odours between wash and wear? Maybe your family has a laundry routine that prevents clothes from ever reaching a smelly stage? Perhaps you have a favourite product that’s become your family’s signature clothing scent?

Whatever tips for making sure clothes smell great, share them on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

UpOnDown Mon 21-May-18 16:42:26

I keep a lavender pack in their drawers.

Sleepysausage Tue 22-May-18 07:37:47

Nothing beats the fresh smell of line dried clothes

Visioncroquet Wed 23-May-18 11:43:48

Another one for line drying here!

BeeMyBaby Wed 23-May-18 15:22:09

Agree with others with line drying, unfortunately most of my clothes end up being dried in the garage so I smell a bit foosty blush

CMOTDibbler Wed 23-May-18 15:23:16

Keep your washing machine clean - imo most fusty smells start there

Missushb Wed 23-May-18 15:33:43

Line drying, lovely and fresh

BristolMum96 Wed 23-May-18 15:56:52

As long as clothes are washed within a few days, dried quickly, and stored properly, they're fine. Only thing I do especially is to make sure the washing machine and tumble drier and regularly emptied, cleaned and serviced.

EskSmith Wed 23-May-18 16:01:18

I agree with the many others, line dried wherever possible. And regular a pry boil wash for the machine to keep it clean.

BuntyII Wed 23-May-18 19:00:20

Add soda crystals to really smelly loads like pet beds or smelly BO men's clothes.

CommonFishDiseases Wed 23-May-18 19:59:58

When clothes are stored between seasons (e.g. winter clothes in the loft), slip a bar of soap in the storage bag along with the clothes to prevent them getting a musty smell during the storage period.

ButterflyOfFreedom Wed 23-May-18 22:23:56

As others have said - dry clothes outside. As the weather has been so nice recently I've been putting our clothes airers in the back garden and the clothes dry so quickly and smell so clean & fresh!

Mel0Dram4 Wed 23-May-18 22:43:53

I don't have a tumble drier so have to line dry as often as the weather allows. We don't smoke so that helps keep clothes smelling fresh and I sometimes add a drop or two of essential oil to the fabric conditioner drawer for a bit of lavender oil oil scent.

OrdinaryGirl Wed 23-May-18 23:12:47

Wash at 60 periodically. Kills the bugs that stay alive at 40 degrees and cause smells.

QueenOfPharts Wed 23-May-18 23:59:00

I have sensitive skin but do love fairy fabric softener-smells lovely. I also love to get my washing out on the line cant beat the smell. Look forward to trying CommonFishDiseases tip for storing clothes with bar of soap and buntyll use of soda crystals for pet beds!

PollyCotton Thu 24-May-18 00:48:44

I store soap bars wrapped in bits of old rights in our drawers. Makes the clothes smell nice & soap is less likely to go mushy so easily if it's been sat around for a while before it's used.

Out of interest, with the whole cleaning a washing machine thing... How does one go about this? I'm a total slattern but my machine has mould in & I can't imagine that's doing anything any good! I tried cleaning the drawer & the rubber bit but it's all inside the drawer slot & in places I can't reach. I do put it on a hot wash with either bio powder or white vinegar every so often - is there anything else I can do? It's only 8 years old & doesn't seem to have any other problems so I don't really want to replace it if I do have to. The clothes come out clean & don't smell bad so I suppose it's doing it's job!

Mmmmdanone Thu 24-May-18 07:38:24

Line dried clothes smell fab.

vickyors Thu 24-May-18 07:53:36

I dry on the line, and have a really nice body shop perfume which I spray into the tumble dryer if I'm using that..

asuwere Thu 24-May-18 08:08:25

I do washing every day so no dirty clothes hanging around for long, and line drying makes them smell fresh.
Also not having too many clothes so they are worn and washed regularly.

TheWizardofWas Thu 24-May-18 09:24:07

I am very traditional - some sachets with lavender in the airing cupboard and drawers lends a nice odour.
In my dreams....
actually we have no airing cupboard and we are lucky if anything reaches a drawer after/before being tossed on the floor!

SusanWalker Thu 24-May-18 10:18:13

I also think you can't beat line drying for giving your clothes a nice smell. I'm currently sorting out my garden and am planning some tubs of lavender and other nice smelling plants to put along the washing line so the clothes pick up the fragrance.

Amber0685 Thu 24-May-18 12:56:10

Another vote for line drying

FawnDrench Thu 24-May-18 13:29:24

Drying clothes on the line - just can't beat it.

CathBookworm Thu 24-May-18 14:03:28

I hang clothes on the line to dry and I store with lavender sachets

OutComeTheWolves Thu 24-May-18 14:28:33

Don't overfill your washing machine.
Dry washing on the line.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: