Talk

Advanced search

Page 23 | Tell McDonald’s what’s important to you when eating out with your family - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED!

(573 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Feb-18 11:12:20

Whilst eating out with the family can provide a much-needed treat and opportunity to reconnect, it can also entail much compromise in order to ensure that all members are satisfied with the outing. McDonald’s UK is keen to find out what is running through your mind when it comes to making that often tricky dining decision whilst keeping smiles on everyone’s faces.

Here what McDonald’s has to say: “We’re looking at new options for our Happy Meal and invited Mumsnet behind the scenes as we started the food development journey! Our restaurants have changed, options like kiosk ordering and table service make it easier for families to enjoy our food but we want to know what you look for when eating out as a family.”

Whether you are celebrating a special occasion, visiting your favourite family restaurant or simply popping into a local take away, we want to know on what basis you make such decisions. Is it the provision of colouring sheets for the kids, or haute cuisine for the more mature members of the family? Maybe you find it difficult to identify a restaurant with menus capable of pleasing all parties and resort to visiting several locations? Is making sure your children’s meals are well balanced or that the location is family friendly important to you?

Whatever your main considerations are when choosing somewhere to eat out with your family, please share them below and you will be entered into a prize draw for the chance to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

OP’s posts: |
sbruin1122 Tue 27-Feb-18 10:43:43

Cost!

SuzCG Tue 27-Feb-18 12:45:27

We would eat in McDonalds as a lunch time treat when we are out & busy and want something quick - I don't view it as a healthy option, so have no expectations of it. It's simply somewhere that serves quickly and we can eat quickly. I do expect restaurants to be clean though - no compromise on that. I'd like it if the 'gifts' within a Happy Meal were more practical - we don't need any more plastic in this world! Burger King have offered an ice cream instead of the toy before now and personally, I think this is a much better idea.
If we were going out for tea as a treat I would look for somewhere with a good menu for children - not breaded rubbish and chips - my kids have always eaten proper food! They want to feel special when they go out for a meal with a grown up style menu.

starray Tue 27-Feb-18 12:55:47

Mcdonald's is my child's favourite restaurant!

A fun kid-friendly atmosphere is the most important thing when choosing somewhere to eat with my family. Our local McDonald's has a floor space where kids can dance and in which the lights responds to their steps. This is a great idea as activities specifically targeted at kids help make the experience special. Sadly, the last few times we visited, this area was closed or out of service.

More items in the kids Happy Meal - it should include a dessert. Toys which "do something", which are not just decorative or cuddly. Toys could also be on display so you know what is available in the Happy Meal and it would be good to be able to choose which one you would like.

Enough seats is also a prime factor.

Balloons - and enough balloons. My child had a meltdown when his friend was given one and he wasn't!

Off topic, but my child would love a McDonald's birthday party. We live in London but can't seem to find any McDonald's which does this.

user1491928364 Tue 27-Feb-18 13:00:34

friendly staff, room for the pushchair and gluten-free vegetarian options

user1485629191 Tue 27-Feb-18 13:34:42

Good toilet/changing facilities. Any kind of crayons, kids packs is a great bonus.

torthecatlady Tue 27-Feb-18 19:07:43

Just jumping back on as we visited McDonald’s today. Would love to see paper straws or some alternative to the plastic ones.

Tortycat Tue 27-Feb-18 19:56:44

Somewhere child friendly where i dont feel on edge in case other diners dont want any toddler noise/ mess. Ie you feel welcome, baby change, plastic cups available. I also choose places with space and healthy options if possible. Would be great to be able to get unsalted chips!

Hallamoo Tue 27-Feb-18 20:39:04

More and better veggie and vegan options. McDonalds used to do a nice wrap with spicy veggie strips and salad in it, but they've stopped it.

I tried to 'customise' a wrap to make it veggie, and ended up with basically mayonnaise and a bit of lettuce for the same price as a spicy chicken wrap! - not cool McDonalds.

The 'special daily' offers are never veggie - sort it out!

squizita Tue 27-Feb-18 21:09:50

If I'm on my own ease of ordering and carrying self serve food. If I've got a toddler in one hand or a buggy I can't be fiddling with trays etc.
An engaging play area or activities which enable me to get the table set, but not so distracting they won't eat!
Comfortable seating which is easy to access.
Very clean toilets ideally with a low one with little kids. Not terrifying loud dryers.
Up to a couple of months ago - baby change that dads can get into, not in the ladies.

squizita Tue 27-Feb-18 21:12:14

Starray in west London there is one between Ruilslip and Harrow which does parties - it has a soft play too. So they do exist! Good luck!

Devilishpyjamas Tue 27-Feb-18 22:42:15

I like the new way of doing things (the table service etc). Friendly staff & quick service maybe the most important things for us when eating with kids. Severely autistic son doesn’t do waiting. The manager at the Norwich airport branch is brilliant with my severely autistic son. So shout out for him and an example of someone who makes eating out easier for us.

hatefulgreatful Wed 28-Feb-18 09:28:54

activity or colouring pages for the children is important to me as it keeps them busy my younger likes colouring but 6 year old loves puzzles so a choice would be nice.
also I do prefer where there's tables that are not too close to each other so if I have the kids with me then they're not disturbing the whole restaurant.
I would also like healthy options with each lids meal choice not just chips and nuggets but ads some veg to it too etc...

Emmax12 Wed 28-Feb-18 13:08:40

Vegetarian options that are clearly marked as vegetarian. Clean facilities, space for the buggy and a load of bags, good high chairs. I prefer ones without trays so I can push it up to the table so my daughter is included. Healthy options, I like what cafe nero do and have jugs of water around.

EmilyK83 Wed 28-Feb-18 15:01:54

With a one-month old baby, the most important thing for me is making mums of little ones feel welcome - clean and suitable changing facilities, and not being made to feel bad for breastfeeding in the restaurant!

Raisingbabylg Wed 28-Feb-18 18:47:15

Cleanliness and lots of veggie options that don't involve potato as my little one won't eat potato in any form!!

littlemonkeyz Wed 28-Feb-18 18:48:50

For us, it's important to have consistency in service and food, especially the children's menu so that my son knows what to expect and looks forward to his meal. Cleanliness is also important so that we do not have to worry about getting ill and fresh ingredients with a possible ingredient list is also great so that we can make great choices as a family.

Summerdays2014 Wed 28-Feb-18 20:42:55

A relaxed child friendly environment where I’m not constantly worrying about my 2 year old making the slightest bit of noise or dropping some food.

melmoo Wed 28-Feb-18 23:32:29

Breadth of menu - DH is vegan, DS only eats things with a slab of meat. DD, DH and I are also carefully healthy eaters.
A good atmosphere is also a must.

Jesswoods1992 Thu 01-Mar-18 23:47:50

Must be child friendly and clean has to have good variety and quality of service but not at silly prices and a service with a smile is always a good bonus

dogdog Fri 02-Mar-18 07:20:18

Somewhere with a relaxed atmosphere and plenty of choice to cater for everyone.

hdh747 Fri 02-Mar-18 07:25:21

With several family members having mulitiple food intolerances and a wheelchair user we really don't eat out much. But when we find a place that can safely do gluten and dairy free and are willing to not serve any of the fruit and veg etc that are problematic, and also have disabled access, believe me we treat it like gold.

princesssmithee Sat 03-Mar-18 00:58:30

PRICE I'm the biggest cheapskate known to man. Vouchers, discounts, tap water, happy days

Custardo Sat 10-Mar-18 15:40:50

i dont want to queue for ages - in maccy Ds this is always a problem - you have just refitted the one in my town with the self ordering screens so lets hope this works

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in