Talk

Advanced search

Share your favourite Christmas family moments and traditions with Lidl: chance to win £100 NOW CLOSED

(395 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Oct-17 09:54:55

Christmas is coming (FAST!) - and the team at Lidl would love to hear all about your family Christmas moments - perhaps from your own childhood or memories you are creating with and for your own children?

Are you a super-organised shopper, a festive fashionista in your Christmas jumper, or more of a last-minute panicker? Do you do ‘stir-up Sunday’ to create your perfect Christmas pudding or cake? Is there a tradition of choosing your tree that the whole family look forward to? What about when you were a child - are there older family traditions you recreate or look back on fondly which help get you in the community spirit?

Whatever your Christmas traditions are, Lidl would love to hear them!

Please post them on this thread and you will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get £100 worth of Lidl vouchers (note the winner will be sent 4 x £25 vouchers, one voucher can be redeemed per transaction).

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

FridgeCut Mon 30-Oct-17 23:54:08

Our favourite tradition is going to the Christmas tree farm. We choose a tree, they cut it down and then DH carries it to the car. It is so lovely wandering around and selecting the tree, arguing over the size and the girth and wondering if we have gone too big. The atmosphere is magical and it is a really big part of our Christmas.

CopperKettle11 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:36:11

When I was a child, my Christmas sack always had a new teddy bear sat on the top of it and this is something I now do with my children. They are always high on anticipation on what kind of teddy Santa will bring this year!

We are also huge fans of Elf the movie - this is watched in the run up to Christmas in our pjs with a huge bowl of popcorn.

NerrSnerr Tue 31-Oct-17 10:43:43

Our tradition is to go to our local Christmas tree festival where our daughter has decorated a bauble for the library’s tree. We then walk home via all the lit up houses in the village. We then go home and watch a film with port and hot chocolate.

starlight36 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:28:45

Making cinnamon and gingerbread biscuits in Christmas shapes. I give my children free rein to decorate them as gaudily as they want!

duck22 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:50:05

Our tradition is to bake and decorated Christmas cookies on Christmas Eve, something I now do with myour children

ColinsVeryJolly Tue 31-Oct-17 13:42:02

Having the DC on our bed in the morning opening their stockings is my favourite tradition. They're 16 and 12 now but we still do it!

foxessocks Tue 31-Oct-17 13:55:53

Christmas stockings. Hanging them up, kids opening them in bed with us first thing.

ilovetocook Tue 31-Oct-17 14:01:15

Most of our traditions are food related but since my youngest was born we have added some new traditions to encompass our mixed family. One of the new ones is that every year I buy my children and step children a christmas decoration, I put their names on it and the year. Another is a Christmas eve package, usually contains pj's, a dvd and book and treats.

ChocolateChipMuffin2016 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:23:39

We always spend Christmas eve just us, in the past it was me and my DH now me DH and DS and we have a Christmas party for 3 with lovely food and a film and snuggles. It's actually my favourite part of Christmas as its just for us.

FoofFighter Tue 31-Oct-17 14:47:46

My favourite tradition as a child was that the enormous turkey was cooked overnight, you'd be smelling the wonderful roasting bird all through your dreams and wake up to the horror of needing to wait another 6 hours before it was apparently hmm ready.

My favourite tradition now is something I'm only starting this year with my 4yo. I'm leaving out a Christmas box at the beginning of December containing her advent calendar, some treats, new PJs etc - this is going to hopefully work well as she has to alternate Xmases between me and her father, so I can't really begin any Xmas Eve/Day traditions, that he then might not carry on wouldn't just to spite me

MargoLovebutter Tue 31-Oct-17 15:42:14

Every year the DCs and I go to a garden centre and we all choose a Christmas tree decoration. They are nearly grown up now, but we still do it. It is the start of our Christmas celebrations because when we get home from our shopping trip, we put up the tree and add the new decorations.

allthingsred Tue 31-Oct-17 15:49:31

Got to be the Xmas eve. We try to go watch a panto that day then afterwards a nice long walk stopping off for a play. Then home to open our Xmas eve boxes, bath, new pj's hot chocolate, leaving out mince pie for santa & bed. The kids always settle with me reading the night before Christmas.
I love it.

Lariflete Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:17

We have so many traditions, but my absolute favourite is Father Christmas’ practice run on Christmas Eve! He doesn’t bring toys, but he turns on the Christmas lights for the first time. I’ve always loved it since I was a little girl and now my children both love the lights being turned on when they come down.

CMOTDibbler Tue 31-Oct-17 16:23:39

Our christmas is very small, but we love going to the christmas tree grower to buy one from the field.

Rosehips Tue 31-Oct-17 17:04:42

buying christmas tree 1st december

YesThisIsMe Tue 31-Oct-17 17:05:23

I love listening to 9 Lessons and Carols on the radio while I peel the spuds and parsnips on Christmas Eve. And then I cuddle up in our bed with the children in the evening while I read them How The Grinch Stole Christmas before bedtime and check how Santa is progressing on the Norad website. And no, of course a fifteen year old isn’t too old for Dr Seuss.

ownedbySWD Tue 31-Oct-17 17:08:55

The children get their Christmas pyjamas (matching, of course), we play a brand new board game, eat nibbles and drinks hit chocolate on Christmas Eve. Lidl has amazing food for our feast - stollen is one of our favourite treats with hot chocolate!

ButterflyOfFreedom Tue 31-Oct-17 17:17:11

Christmas stockings!
The DC have one each - lovely big velvet ones with their names on which look fab hung up over the fireplace.
When I was younger we used pillow cases for stockings (!!) - but still a lovely tradition for all those little gifts Santa brings! smile

UpOnDown Tue 31-Oct-17 17:28:52

Panettone and leaving food out for santa and the reindeer.

ErinSophia Tue 31-Oct-17 17:45:33

I'm definitely super organised, I've had everything bought and wrapped for 2 weeks now x

FlukeSkyeRunner Tue 31-Oct-17 18:30:21

We have relatives to sleepover on Xmas eve, then we all eat breakfast together before going into the lounge together - where all the presents will be waiting. The kids get so excited waiting for everyone to be ready to go into they lounge!

Gammeldragz Tue 31-Oct-17 19:19:17

We have Christmas dinner on Christmas eve, so I can relax on the day with my children. Then DH makes amazing bubble and squeak with the leftovers!

asuwere Tue 31-Oct-17 19:46:44

We put up the tree and decorations on 1st December; it's lovely with Christmas music, glitter and tinsel everywhere and just starting to feel festive and working together to make the house look nice(ish!) fsmile

PugwallsSummer Tue 31-Oct-17 21:05:29

Putting DD’s mattress in our room and all watching The Snowman on Christmas Eve night.

Thesqueezermustghost Tue 31-Oct-17 21:17:12

I love everything, especially getting the tree and decorating it. It is a magical time, even for us non believers. I love shopping for food and goodies and making the house ready for 12 days of feasting.

abblie Tue 31-Oct-17 21:38:35

A tradition i have made with my daughter is every Christmas day when toys and everything has been tidied up at 8pm we get snuggled on the sofa get 'party food' and watch 'the polar express' she is 8 years old and this will be our 7th year 😍 same time same film different party food lol

Serin Tue 31-Oct-17 21:43:21

On the first weekend in December, we always make up some holly wreaths for mine and DH's granddads who both died in the second world war. We always weave a few poppies through.

The kids have grown up helping us and we are really proud that DS1 has decided to join the military as soon as he has finished his A Levels.

MoreProseccoNow Tue 31-Oct-17 21:44:22

We’ve started a few new traditions of our own, now that we have young children. Christmas Eve is spent ice-skating in the outdoor rink. We throw reindeer dust in to the back garden to guide Santa, and leave out a carrot for Rudolph plus whisky for Santa.

Christmas morning breakfast (after the present frenzy) is frozen pastries from the local farm shop, which we bung in the oven then have with a glass of Buck’s Fizz.

We have soup at lunchtime & “picky foods” then our main meal & pudding late afternoon. Everyone contributes something towards the food on the day, so we all share the load.

All very relaxed & casual. With a young family & elderly parents, I want to enjoy time with them on Christmas Day, rather than spending it stuck in the kitchen.

KavvLar Tue 31-Oct-17 22:09:21

We all go out to a garden centre to potter round the Christmas bits, and then the DC pick a new decoration each for the tree. It's lovely to see them each year although I smashed DDs first one and was practically inconsolable

AWholeLottaRosie Tue 31-Oct-17 22:27:28

We always go out for dinner on Christmas Eve. It’s so lovely not to have to think about cooking a meal (especially knowing I’ll have all the stress of the big meal on Christmas Day). On the way home we take a long detour and drive round looking at all the houses that have nice Christmas light displays, my elderly parents enjoy this probably more than anything else smile

Summergarden Wed 01-Nov-17 07:28:42

We love the run up to Christmas.

Love getting the Christmas tree down at th end of November and decorating it together.

We also do a Santa train experience in early December and breakfast with Santa on Christmas Eve...can’t wai.

SomethingPhishy Wed 01-Nov-17 07:41:21

My favourite tradition that we do with my DS now 7 years old on Christmas Eve is choosing the drink & treat for Father Christmas & the reindeer carrot then read 'The Night Before Christmas' We get the special Christmas mug & plate out, pour some milk, choose a biscuit (because he gets lots of mince pies - last year was chocolate gingerbread which was from Lidl), select a carrot (normally the biggest one we have), put it all on the windowsill in the bay window then settle down with the book. Perfect!

Caillou Wed 01-Nov-17 07:43:54

My favourite Christmas moment is when children wake you up with twinkly eyes in the morning after seeing the pile of present downstairs.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 01-Nov-17 09:01:10

My favourite tradition is the stick with some bottle tops nailed to it.
Every Christmas when we were young, we'd actually hear Santa's sleigh bells approaching! Turns out my mum had crafted said stick and would get a neighbour to hide in the garden, shaking it. She'd then sneakily cross the road and return the favour for the neighbour's children to hear.
I have the stick now, and it is so special as it is soooo unlike my mum to do anything so crafty/magical.

Pinkiepromisex Wed 01-Nov-17 09:38:08

Christmas music, mince pies and hot chocolate while we decorate the tree. I always have high hopes of a colour scheme but the kids just throw everything at it and we make do with a rainbow tree!! Love Christmas!!

voyager50 Wed 01-Nov-17 09:40:52

As a child I loved going round and delivering the presents to extended family - it felt magical to me as Christmas was almost upon us.

I would also love opening that first stocking present with my sister at about 4 am when we were too excited to sleep! We were each allowed to open just one before our parents got up.

manfalou Wed 01-Nov-17 09:53:23

We go out for dinner with friends on christmas eve then come home and bake cookies for santa <3

minceandpotatoes Wed 01-Nov-17 09:55:26

There will always be one present under the Christmas tree labelled 'To be opened on Christmas Eve' and it will always be a new pair of pyjamas to wear for Christmas.
Presents for the family will always include a few chocolate oranges and Toblerones - can't remember when or why that tradition started, but we still carry it on.

daniel1996 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:41:49

We have a karaoke Christmas tape, and we sing carols, they melt my heart, oh little town of Bethlehem, and little Donkey always bring a tear. we make home made sweets from icing sugar and peppermint cream and egg white, and I dip them in melted chocolate, or my DC's decorate them with flavoured icing and put them it little boxes for aunties uncles and grand parents. They go down a treat.

NeverTwerkNaked Wed 01-Nov-17 12:02:12

our favourite tradition is going to christingle on Christmas eve. We all walk through the village together, past all its beautiful Christmas lights. The church is full of faces both new and familiar. we sing all the favourite carols and make our way home again to a warm supper by the fire and then its time to get stockings ready! It feels timeless and magical.

TheKnackeredChef Wed 01-Nov-17 12:16:52

A few years back we had a German friend staying with us over Christmas. I know Christmas is a big deal in Germany and I wanted to help her feel at home so I googled 'German Christmas traditions' to try and get a bit of inspiration. Lots of sites mentioned this thing called a 'Christmas Pickle' - a gherkin shaped ornament you hide on the tree on Xmas Eve, then the first person who finds it gets to open the first present. I thought that would be a nice idea so I hunted everywhere for one of these things, including all the German markets, but to no avail. Eventually I managed to get hold of one through some obscure American website. Christmas Eve arrived and I proudly got out the traditional pickle ornament and asked her if shed like to hang it on the tree. "She'll love this," I thought. She just looked at me blankly and clearly didn't have a clue what I was on about. "It's a German tradition!" I spluttered. "I read about it on the internet!" Turns out it's a made-up thing from America that cropped up a few years back, rather like EOTS. She thought it was hilarious and still teases me about it now. We still do the pickle thing to this day. It's tradition.

MycatsaPirate Wed 01-Nov-17 12:40:00

Christmas Eve is our favourite day and it's a really special day for me and my dc now.

We always find somewhere to go ice skating, preferably outdoors, just as it's getting dark. Lots of Christmas lights and there's so much magic and excitement.

Then on the way home, grab a take away and eat it watching a Christmas film. After that, it's bath time and new pj's and although too old for it now, time to track Santa on NORAD.

Mine are 19 and 12 and despite 'not believing' any more, it's still our special magical day. For many years, we were a family of just three and they are our traditions, things that we have done as a three for a long time. Dp is now involved in our special day and gets into the spirit by laughing at anyone who falls over ice skating. He can't skate so gets nominated to take photos.

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 01-Nov-17 13:01:28

I had a text message a few years ago from oldest sister saying - In mum and dads, you need to get here, NOW! - I was out shopping and rushed over wondering what was wrong, when I got there it went something like this (OS is oldest sister)

Me: what's wrong?!? I got your text
Me: confused and? Is that it? You had me worried!!
Me: -slowly looking around- But, But, where's x?! Where's y?! MUUUUUM, DAAAAAAD

X and Y were decorations that had always been up during my childhood and beyond, mum and dad came in rolling their eyes "not you as well! They were falling apart we thought we could finally get rid of them" I not so kindly explained that this is what tape is for and they shook their heads and dad went and retrieved them.

I think that they are now more tape than decoration, but it's not Christmas if they aren't up! Parents now understand that They have 3 crazy daughters these decorations are non-negotiable

SophieLouise93 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:56:41

Our favourite tradition is we each get a present at end of our beds( me, brother, Mum and Dad) this open first thing Christmas morning, this is normally pjs, slippers or a dressing gown, the brother and Dad then cook us a full English with Buck’s Fizz, we then all prepare Christmas dinner and have that with a glass of wine, we then play monopoly and watch crappy tv lol

Sleepysausage Wed 01-Nov-17 15:09:36

We leave Father Christmas a beer and Christmas treat. He leaves a thankyou letter and in the letter talks about what a great year our daughter has had.

PutYourBracesTogether Wed 01-Nov-17 16:23:05

Our favourite tradition is on Christmas Day after dinner/visiting family or friends, myself and DC curl up in our pj's, watch the big Christmas film and have party food.
It's very cosy with just the three of us after the chaotic run up to the festivities.

MyLastUsernameWasRubbish Wed 01-Nov-17 18:43:31

Having the kids in our bed on Christmas morning to open stockings and eat sausage rolls and mince pies for breakfast!

Zoolatry Wed 01-Nov-17 19:08:29

The Black Nose Elf

This dates from when DS was two and wouldn’t spend a whole night in his own bed. We told him that the night before Christmas Eve, Father Christmas sent out elves to check that children in their beds. The elf would touch each child on the nose, to count them. If you looked very closely on Christmas Eve morning you might see a tiny black mark as the elf had grubby fingers from coming down the chimney ... but only if you were in your own bed. Then you’d know that Father Christmas would visit the next night.
It worked a treat (still does, he’s teenage now). We creep in armed with black mascara, trying not to get the giggles.

That and Midnight Mass, singing heartily. Amazing atmosphere.

NoStraightEdges Wed 01-Nov-17 19:25:24

We always go for a Christmas Eve walk through the woods. It's magic and quiet.

We come back for orange hot chocolates with cream and marshmallows and eat some of the Christmas baking.

Then we watch a movie, have tea and go to bed nice and early. It usually goes to plan, although the going to bed early never seems to work....

honeyandginger48 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:05:48

Decorating the christmas tree with festive music (and mulled wine for the adults..) Going to a ‘nine lessons and carol service’ at a local church.

CheeseEMouse Wed 01-Nov-17 20:42:27

Making mince pies with my children is the new tradition I have instigated. It's good fun to see them help and (over)fill the pies

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 01-Nov-17 22:36:50

We have used tealights and jam jars to make a runway for Santa ever since the DDs were tiny as we didn't have a chimney. We also have a magic key so he can get through the door. We track Santa on Norad and the girls know that when he gets to North Africa they need to get to bed.

SQuashandasqueeze76 Thu 02-Nov-17 04:41:19

My mum used to set out a display on the hearth of our fireplace on xmas eve of all the xmas chocolate and nibbles she had bought for the xmas period. She would let us have a little treat on xmas eve but we had to wait until after xmas day dinner for free reign to get stuck in to all the goodies. My sister and I would sit in front of it planning what we were going to have first. When I got with my partner he nicknamed it 'the christmas shrine'. It has now become our family tradition every xmas eve for the kids to set out the 'shrine'. Think they enjoy that more than decorating the tree!

witherwings Thu 02-Nov-17 07:11:10

I have a couple. The first is that we have 2 Christmas trees. One is for kids and me and we put everything on it that the kids have ever made and decorations that we have bought from every holiday we've been on. It looks random but is totally special. The other tree is for my DH who decorates it very tastefully with silver and lights. The kids tease him about his boring tree and he teased them about the elves chucking everything on ours!
Our second tradition is opening stockings from Father Christmas on our bed first thing on Christmas morning before we do anything else. They are always so excited with the little things thy get.

Hairq Thu 02-Nov-17 07:37:09

Making sticky cinnamon buns on Christmas Eve (and eating them for breakfast every morning for the next few days) is our favourite. Classic fm on in the background for Christmas carols while we do it is a
Must.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 02-Nov-17 08:27:10

Choosing the tree from our local garden centre. Just walking in to find it filled with trees draws gasps of amazement and after that, lunch or cake at their cafe depending on the time of day and a mosey around their amazing decorations display.
The kids love it.
But for me, it's when we get home and the tree in standing in its stand waiting to be decorated. Then it feels like Christmas.

misskatamari Thu 02-Nov-17 09:27:24

Now my kids are 2 and 3 we really enjoy Christmas crafting in the run up to Christmas. Lots of painting and mess making decorations etc. We love putting together a gingerbread house and decorating that too

poopoopoo Thu 02-Nov-17 10:27:07

We have home cooked ham and fresh sliced pineapple for breakfast with snowballs to drink. I play the Saxaphone in the garden. (Quite badly-sorry of you are a neighbour)

Mumthedogsbeensick Thu 02-Nov-17 10:27:19

I love that my mum still has tree ornaments that I made at primary school out of egg cartons and pipe cleaners. She puts them on the tree every year. I made them in 1979!! They’re faded and the bits of tinsel are threadbare but she won’t part with them. I’m now doing the same with things my son made at school to continue the tradition.

kateandme Thu 02-Nov-17 11:03:48

family.its all about being together.whether its dh turn or our side we spend it with the family and its just the best time.big meal.big eats.big walks.big tree.big bellies.big naps.big movie marathons.yum

Careyl3 Thu 02-Nov-17 12:27:46

Every Christmas Eve my family and I go a forestry walk, then come home, get the coal fire burning, hot chocolate and gingerbread men for the kids, mulled wine for the adults and we watch "It's A Wonderful life" and "Miracle on 34th Street"

Wishingandwaiting Thu 02-Nov-17 12:41:48

Single mum of two young children.

Christmas Eve box, christmas eve film, stockings opened in my bed and then relaxed happy day.

Nothing forced, no “making memories” nonsense. Just three if us enjoying being together and indulging

stormnigel Thu 02-Nov-17 12:54:05

A few years ago we got back from a Christmas Eve party quite late with the DD’s then aged 7 and 8. For some reason (probably one too many eggnogs on h and I’s part), we decided to take the duvet out and all lie on the trampoline and look at the stars. It was actually lovely. We talked about the best things that had happened that year and wished on the stars for the things we wanted to happen in the next one.
Sadly Our marriage has since broken down, but we still all spend Christmas and Boxing Day together and we still do this every year (4 years on). fortunately the weather has been kind so far as it wouldn’t be so nice were it to be chucking it down.
Christmas is more difficult now for the adults involved than it was for lots of reasons, but the girls are still the middle of it and when we do this it sets the tone for the next few days.Any bad feelings are put aside and we go in to Christmas Day with some inner serenity and as a family that still cares about one another (although of course a very different family to the one we once were).

A newer tradition that I think is worth hanging on to, especially for our children who have seen so much change in the last few years.

DuskPanda Thu 02-Nov-17 13:25:27

Decorating the Christmas tree all together with Christmas music in the back ground and a glass of fizz for Mummy. Oh what an idyllic scene until the first argument breaks out about who is putting which bauble where!

NumberEightyOne Thu 02-Nov-17 13:54:57

Hot chocolate in my grandad's metal teapot with the tea cosy my dm knitted on it for Christmas Day breakfast.

Doreah Thu 02-Nov-17 15:21:46

It's just DH and I, no little ones. In laws live in New Zealand.
Decorations always go up first weekend in December and I always have a "wrapping" day when I will watch Christmas movies all day (muppet christmas carol, arthur christmas, love actually, the holiday and Elf are ALWAYS on the list)
Christmas eve we cook the meat and prepare everything else. Christmas morning we always get up early, no later than 6am, make a cuppa and skype the family in New Zealand. We then have a glass of bucks fizz while we open the presents.
We then get ourselves ready, boil up the potatoes, carrots and parsnips ready for roasting later and pop to the pub for a hour or so. Then come home, finish cooking dinner with more fizz, eat our dinner then have an hour of so nap cuddled up on the sofa watching a film.
Evenings can be varied, sometimes it's into our PJs to watch all the specials on tv, sometimes it's round to a family members house.

TorNayDoh Thu 02-Nov-17 17:35:54

Dec 1, tree up and decorated. The kids get to do it and it always looks like a tinsel explosion, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Personwithnoname Thu 02-Nov-17 19:25:44

Building a gingerbread house with the DC in December. Each year is a different one; train, house, village, sleigh. We do this before decorating the tree and then we all eat the gingerbread house in front of the fire, drinking hot choc in our pjs. And snooze in front of a film. Lovely.

KennDodd Thu 02-Nov-17 19:30:22

Swimming in the sea on boxing day! Brrrrr!

dannydog1 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:13:51

Cooking the turkey overnight( following my mum’s tradition), scrambled eggs on muffins for Christmas breakfast. Stockings with little presents opened before breakfast, main pressies afterwards.

Duckswaddle Thu 02-Nov-17 20:23:51

We always watch Muppets Christmas Carol whilst putting up the tree.
We go to a Christmas show every year, see Santa on Christmas Eve and once the kids are in bed me and husband watch It's a Wonderful Life with a couple of drinks.
Love Christmas 😊

RippleEffects Thu 02-Nov-17 21:35:37

I love that our family Christmas always has the odd ad hoc guest and all enjoy the extra company. We've done big family get together Christmasses my whole life. I think it came about because my aunty found herself as a single mum with three lively boys under five so my dads siblings got together and we all piled into each others homes (driving from the South Coast to Glasgow to all get together). As we grew up friends with no place to be, often a foreign student who couldn't get home, more distant relatives at loose ends.

Numbers are around 18 this year, but will no doubt go up a bit as the time approaches.

My favourite bit of Lidl Christmas range is the mulled wine. We tend to drink sparking at Christmas but mulled wine has somehow become a back garden bonfire night tradition. This will be our fourth mulled wine and sparklers barbeque bonfire night.

lolly2011 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:08:08

We decorate the tree 12 days before christmas, he kids leave mince pie and milk for Father Christmas and carrot for his reindeer, we build gingerbread houses and hand the kids handmade decorations on the tree.

singadream Thu 02-Nov-17 22:44:11

We go to the theatre every Christmas Eve afternoon - something aimed at kids. Then get hot chocolate at a cafe and look at the lights before coming home.It's lovely.

Marie1276 Fri 03-Nov-17 02:05:26

Am super organised and been preparing since after last Christmas 🤣🤣🤣
Also we always put our Christmas tree up on the 1st of December to really get into the mood.DD2 will always put the star on top of the tree with hubby reaching her up the sky 🤣
When i was a child,my 3 brothers and i believed in Father Christmas very fondly.My late mum would always made us polish our black shoes very well and put under our Christmas tree for Santa.
We love having families over on Christmas eve for a big Lidl feast,drinks,talk,sing in Karaoke,have fun with the kids,take a lot of family pictures to cherishso we can looked back at,give blessings to each other and especially sharing our gifts in joy.
On the 25th the men will cook the leftovers and tidy up all the mess of previous night, while the women would relax,take the day off the kitchen drinking Lidl Prosecco,eating Lidl snacks and played Bingo while the kids played with their new
toys and chat between cousins 😁😁😁

churchilllounge Fri 03-Nov-17 05:07:48

We go carol singing around the houses by candlelight on Christmas Eve. It’s the most special part of my year.

purplepandas Fri 03-Nov-17 05:25:01

Watching elf with hot chocolate.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 03-Nov-17 07:32:02

Having trifle for supper, because we'd eaten so much for lunch that we had had no room for any pudding. The trifle is so huge that we don't have any main course and let the children have as much pudding as they want at one sitting. Once-a-year bonkersness grin

Teddygirlonce Fri 03-Nov-17 09:30:42

Christmas Eve, wrapping presents with a glass of mulled wine to hand, the children watching a cheesy festiv film with DH - a warm glow comes over the whole household.

Loneranger14 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:32:12

I grew up in care I hated Xmas as a child as I missed my mum and never got any presents as they said they don't get paid enough for the special present I wanted whilst I sat there watching her own children open all there very expensive presents. But now I have my little boy we bake cookies Xmas eve then I get him new PJs and time to forgot all the bad things that happening that year n look forward to new year. Put the tree up and my partner goes outside in the garden and hides and rattles bells and me and my son go out and he's face is a picture when he thinks he can hear Santa on his sleigh. Then we cuddle up on sofa with Grinch that stole Xmas with popcorn and treats and I tell him how much he is loved and how my life is worth everything now I've had him and how special he is. Means more to me than anything

singadream Fri 03-Nov-17 10:34:39

@loneranger14 I am sad for you

JudgeRulesNutterButter Fri 03-Nov-17 11:26:37

Decorating the tree was always my favourite. My Dad and I did it together, it was our thing. Now I'm grown up we send each other photos of our completed trees for the other to critique/approve smile

HairsprayBabe Fri 03-Nov-17 11:56:16

Me and my sister have done the same thing on christmas eve since we were small children.
We are now in our mid 20's and we still do the same things.

Up first thing and buy "Pound shop pressies" we go to pound land and buy one gift for everyone to open at the table after christmas dinner. Head home and wrap them.
After wrapping help mum finish cleaning the house and prep some sprouts for the next day.
Afternoon head to the cinema we usually watch something magical and family friendly, Stardust, The Hobbit, Harry Potter etc.
After the cinema we go to my Grandmothers for pork and stuffing batches and Carols from Kings.
We head home and construct a gingerbread house together as teens we nearly killed each other doing this on several occasions
New Pjs, hot chocolate and balies and some photos for DM in front of the tree.
Then we get into my sisters bed and watch Beatrix Potter's "The Tailor of Gloucester" and fall asleep.

Christmas Eve is the best day of the year.

Luckynut Fri 03-Nov-17 11:59:39

I have continued on the tradition my mum passed on to me as a child. Christmas morning my brothers and I would have to go into our parents room singing christmas carols to wake them up. No christmas carols then they wouldn't get up! Nobody was allowed down the stairs until everyone was up and then we would continue down in a line from oldest to youngest into the living room to open our stockings. As a child I always thought everyone did this, only by seeing the bemused look on peoples faces when i told people as i got older i realised it wasn't the case.

NumberEightyOne Fri 03-Nov-17 12:46:17

Loneranger I hope you have a brilliant Christmas this year, and every year x

lizadoolittle Fri 03-Nov-17 13:08:11

We have our family Xmas the first week of November. Our youngest son and his wife are actors and are always in panto for several weeks in December and into January so before they start rehearsals in earnest the whole family go to one of the Center Parcs for a break. We are off this Monday to Woburn where Winter Wonderland will be in full swing. We bring decorations and our Christmas dinner and Xmas stockings filled with hilarious junk bought all season from bootfairs. This year there are 17 gifts in each of 9 stockings. OMG so much wrapping (but i buy the paper in the January sales). The children despair about the amount of stuff they have to take home again, but we don't mind if it's sold, re-gifted or given to charity shops. And we are together for 5 days enjoying everything the park has to offer and playing board games. So when Christmas Day does come, there's no present buying or panic as it is all behind us and we can have a relaxing break and remember what the true spirit of Christmas is.

Carouselfish Fri 03-Nov-17 13:36:46

Buying my daughter one tree decoration a year so when she's grown up she'll have enough for her own tree.

Including a clue in each little present towards figuring out what the main present is. It's hilarious to watch them try.

PhuntSox Fri 03-Nov-17 14:13:54

Panto on Christmas Eve, the best bit is driving home for Christmas!

prettybird Fri 03-Nov-17 14:53:40

Favourite tradition is making the Danish Christmas pudding to have on Christmas Eve (which is when we have our "main" Christmas dinner): a sweet risotto with whipped cream and chopped almonds folded through it. There is one whole almond and whoever gets it gets the "almond prize" smile (For the last few years, that's been a Christmas mug in our household).

BeeMyBaby Fri 03-Nov-17 15:14:15

My favourite tradition with my daughters is that we make a gingerbread house, we absolutely love doing it and it tastes yummy to eat it at Christmas (although it looks pretty rubbish and tends to resemble a shack more than a house)

OutComeTheWolves Fri 03-Nov-17 15:48:48

This is my favourite thread ever on mumsnet.

I used to get hammered with my friends on Christmas Eve and although it was a brilliant tradition, it has slowly evolved into the same group of friends meeting for lunch with all of our kids in tow. The kids all play together while we have a couple of proseccos and a gossip.

Then we head home and do some baking for Santa. After that we go to the local church service and then head home to watch elf, drink hot choc etc.

I think I'm going to steal a few of the ideas I've read on here though. I love the idea of a jam jar runway for Father Christmas!

prettybird Fri 03-Nov-17 16:41:55

Forgot my current tradition of buying a Father Christmas tree decoration every year. Going to give them to ds when he leaves home - but for the moment, they fit my theme of red decorations on the tree.

I love getting out the Christmas decorations every year - each ornament has its own history and brings back memories.

koalab Fri 03-Nov-17 17:01:21

The day we do the big Christmas food shop we have a Chinese to make sure we don't start scoffing the food. It's become a bit of a family get together now and it means we can all start relaxing into celebration mode.

clopper Fri 03-Nov-17 18:51:06

We always play board games after Christmas lunch and on Boxing Day start a huge puzzle which everyone joins in making.

MiniMileyMoo Fri 03-Nov-17 19:40:37

My favourite tradition is putting up the tree. We’ve collected lots of decorations from holidays and trips, some homemade decorations, and they all bring back memories!

claza93 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:25:50

I love taking mine to Christmas eve mass, then we come home and relax and get ready for a full on hectic Christmas day smile

poorbuthappy Fri 03-Nov-17 20:31:18

Over the years we’ve done loads of things with our 3 to feel as Christmassy as possible....posh hotels....trains....ice skating....

But we have now discovered the local garden centre’s charity Christmas weekend where the big guy is there, loads of log burners, Sally Army band, mulled wine

poorbuthappy Fri 03-Nov-17 20:32:59

Apologies. Posted too soon!

And it’s just right. Lovely few hours spent on a Sunday in December just feeling festive then home for a practice dinner.

Byrdie Fri 03-Nov-17 20:34:47

We’ve started lots of new christmas traditions but my favourite one from my childhood is making the kids calendars filled with unusual bits I’ve bought over the months leading up to xmas. I love making them and remember the joy i had as a child opening mine each day. He new one we’ve made which we all love is bashing through a wrapping paper ‘door’ to get to the lounge where the christmas tree and presents are!! So much fun to film in slow mo!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »