Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your funniest parenting moments with Arla Big Milk - £300 voucher to win! NOW CLOSED

(230 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Oct-17 14:55:14

It’s no secret that children of all ages - from babies to teenagers - can do and say some hilarious things, (whether they mean to or not!) But sometimes it’s parents that have their own hilarious moments and it may be children’s reactions that make it even more humorous. With that in mind Arla Big Milk want to know some of your funniest parenting moments!

Have you ever had to quickly cover for your child’s unfiltered comments whilst out in public? Perhaps you’ve turned your back for one minute at dinner time and come back to find your child has decided to put the food over their head rather than in their mouth? Or maybe you’ve had to tell them off for something that is in fact hilarious and you just can’t keep a straight face?

Whatever your funny parenting moments, share on the below thread to be entered into a prize draw, where one lucky MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Caillou Thu 26-Oct-17 15:52:25

Dd2, was painting last week with red paint , I asked her to go and wash her hands afterwards,
She obliged and took the initiative to also wash her face, hence a 2 years old walking back to me with a bright red face looking very very proud of herself (she hadn't checked herself out by that time)

Thesqueezermustghost Thu 26-Oct-17 16:17:21

We were in a card shop and DD was looking for a pencil case. She said there is one I like but I don't get the slogan...Pen Orgy, Pencils Welcome...she was mortified when I kind of explained

Ak13zd03 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:26:39

Me any my three year old son were on the bus when he let out a big fart it was so loud. I said what do you say ? He said that was a good one mum. I literally couldn't stop laughing nether could the other passengers lol

StepAwayFromCake Thu 26-Oct-17 16:27:33

In the gym changing room a lady came out of the sauna and steam room section and started getting dressed at the bench opposite where dd and I were dressing. A rather Rubensesque lady, all rosy from her spa.

Preschooler dd pipes up LOUDLY "Mummy, why has that lady got a pink bottom? Is it like monkeys, Mummy? Is it like daddy monkeys, Mummy?"

(Thank you very much David Attenborough.)

(And, lady, if you're reading this, thank you for not slaying us flowers)

Ecadia Thu 26-Oct-17 17:08:34

My ds (2) had his first nursery photo last week. Just before leaving he decided to do his make up with a felt tip pen. Trying to scrub it off was not working and he ended up having his photo done with faded blue lines on his face. (One to show his future wife grin)

JulesJules Thu 26-Oct-17 18:12:54

When DD2 was little. We used to joke JOKE that if she was naughty we'd 'put her in the garage with the spiders' OBVIOUSLY we never did this. One day in Sainsburys, she started shouting and I told her not to be naughty. 'PLEEEEEEEASE DON'T PUT ME IN THE GARAGE WITH ALL THE SPIDERS, MUMMY'.
blush

ErinSophia Thu 26-Oct-17 18:13:47

My daughter (4 years old) told me she had salad for dinner at her friends house as her friend's mum is a 'virgin' , I was trying not to laugh while asking her for more information, turns out she meant a vegan. Never laughed so hard in my life lol.

CuteOrangeElephant Thu 26-Oct-17 19:17:20

When my 2 week old DD projectile pood all over my husband, the changing tables and her high chair next to it, then proceeded to poop in the bath when she was getting cleaned.

quizqueen Thu 26-Oct-17 20:08:58

A nanny moment- we went as a family to see the 'Tiger who came to Tea' at the theatre. While a lot of children were scared when the tiger first came out on stage, my 13 month old granddaughter was shouting out, 'Cat, cat, hiya, hiya!' at the top of her voice. Then when they came round selling tigers on sticks she said, 'More' which is her generic word for 'I want it'.

We're going to see our local amateur dramatic group perform Beasty and the Beast in December so I don't know what she'll think the beast is.

TequilaLemonSalt Thu 26-Oct-17 21:22:34

We were at the self checkouts a few months ago, and the poor lady next to me was buying sanitary pads. My 2yo starts shouting WHY LADY GOT NAPPIES?! I manage to distract her, then she goes and a man buying wine takes her place. DD shouts HEY MAN, THATS MUMMYS JUICE!!

blushblushblush

MimsyBorogroves Thu 26-Oct-17 21:31:17

DS1, who was then 2, looking at a book in the middle of Tesco. He wasn’t blessed with an “inside voice” (or an internal thought) at that time.

“OOH LOOK MUMMY, A CRAPODILE”

Crocodile. It was a crocodile.

1969angep Thu 26-Oct-17 22:28:43

My 6 year old still constantly misuses he and she, him and her and even man and lady. Just this morning a female member of staff in Asda sent a trolley down from the cafe in the lift and then started to take the stairs herself. Lucas pipes up very loudly “Why has that man put an empty trolley in the lift, that’s silly!”

thatslow Fri 27-Oct-17 05:52:08

This is so embarrassing but funny.
I won't usually go for a number 2 in public toilets if I can help it but being heavily pregnant this time I just had to go. My two year old pipped up "uurrghh. What that smell? That scusting (disgusting), that scusting".

Other times my kids have asked "that your nappy like me?"

Been in a shop before and my then 3 year old referred to a random guy as "daddy". Even when I corrected him, he kept calling the guy was still daddy.

Rosehips Fri 27-Oct-17 07:38:53

My toddler used to lick my newborn so that he'd smell yacky and we wouldm't want to cuddle him.

asuwere Fri 27-Oct-17 09:50:36

DH was a bus driver and we went to meet him on his lunch. As we were waiting at the bus station, DS (2) said, in that loud toddler voice "is that my daddy?" at every man who walked past with a hi-vis vest! Quite embarrassing but still makes me laugh many years later smile

kateandme Fri 27-Oct-17 10:58:50

aunty suffers with migraines.lots come on at family get together which to us ties in with stress bringing it on.but...dd one time came downstairs from getting aunty for tea saying "she says shes got a head ache,but it basically means she doesn't want to see you and would rather sleep than eat grannies cooking" oh!

lucyrobinson Fri 27-Oct-17 13:03:16

On my daughter first day at school she came home and said she Had been cold all day. After further discussion she announced she didn’t wear any knickers to School. I asked her why and she said I didn’t leave her any out!

sharond101 Fri 27-Oct-17 13:13:14

My 2 year old flung himself into a massive puddle when throwing a ball. He as so wet and muddy I had to strip him and walk a mile back to the car with him naked! He kept shouting. "Mummy take all my clothes off and my bums all muddy"

MoreProseccoNow Fri 27-Oct-17 15:24:34

When DS was about 2, I briefly turned my back on him to check for a phone number before I dialled. When I picked it up, to make the call, I could hear an automated message but just ignored it & carried on with my call.

10 mins later, as I continued chatting to my mum, I glanced out the window, to see a Police car. The doorbell rang & it was a Police officer, responding to a 999 call from the landline.

Instead of DS looking sheepish, he proudly handed the officer The Hungry Catterpillar book & asked him to read it.

And my house was a tip.

FuzzyFeltBum Fri 27-Oct-17 16:40:00

Ok I’ve told this story on another site years ago but...

When DS2 was 2 or 3 he was playing with Fuzzy Felt on the living room floor.

I was busy putting some washing on and when I came back in he was stark naked (not unusual) and seemed to be rummaging about underneath himself.

Me: What are you doing, J?
Him: Putting this Fuzzy Felt up my bottom.
Me: You can’t put Fuzzy Felt up your bottom! 😮
Him: Yes I can! Look!

He bends over and sure enough he’s got a ballerina and a horse sticking out of his arse.

Sleavercole123 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:51:57

When Isabelle was 2 we took her on her first overseas holiday to Italy. As a child Isabelle was always fascinated with keys and the only way to keep her happy on a drive to the beach was for her to hold our apartment keys. When unpacking our beach stuff we forgot that Isabelle still had the keys and only realised this when we were due to go back home. We couldn’t find them anywhere and the only place they could have been was at the beach buried under the sand somewhere. After 15 minutes of digging under the sand for the keys we decided we would never find them as we couldn’t be sure which part of the beach she had buried them

purplepandas Fri 27-Oct-17 19:18:04

When my DN mistook a collie dog display for a badger display at an outside event.

foxessocks Fri 27-Oct-17 19:23:00

My 3 dd said very loudly in the supermarket the other day "there's father Christmas!!!" ...luckily the rather large bearded man found it quite amusing .

PorridgeAgainAbney Fri 27-Oct-17 20:00:04

Well it's usually based around gross/toilet humour:

One in very busy public toilet, I was having a wee and he kept asking "have you done a big smelly poo Mummy?" no matter how many times I denied it. I kept praying for the hand dryers to start but all I heard was giggling blush.

Another one in a restaurant with the grandparents: he did a fart and my Mum said "what do you say?" and he shouted "I done a pop Nanny!" Well, he was right grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now