Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your dream job with Mumsnet Jobs

(134 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Oct-17 13:35:17

The nights are drawing in, the kids are (hopefully) settled back at school and many people are thinking about a change of job.

If education, experience, salary, childcare was no concern, we’d love to know what your perfect job would be. Go on to Mumsnet Jobs and tell us which of the listed jobs you'd go for.

How about being CDIO Finance Director in the Civil Service? Or being the Deputy Director for Counter-Terrorism Strategy in the Home Office? Or even a Senior Test Engineer for a medical device manufacturer or how about a Fashion Editorial Assistant?

If none appeal, tell us your brief job description (and who with) that would get you dusting off your CV and making that application?

If you’re interested in a new job sign up for Mumsnet Jobs alerts here and do follow them on Twitter @mumsnetjobs.
Alternatively, if you’re an employer and want to find that perfect candidate, then list your job vacancies here!.

Thanks
MNHQ

Insight T and Cs Apply

GhostsToMonsoon Wed 11-Oct-17 12:11:15

Sometimes I think I would just like to be Mary Berry's Chief Cake Tester.

MrsMarigold Wed 11-Oct-17 13:32:42

Ideally I'd love help run a paid return to work scheme for other women who haven't worked for ages ( 5 plus years) because they've been dealing with kids. I know what it is to sit at home with no confidence, barely understanding job descriptions let alone applying.

I wouldn't want to target the fintech sector but maybe PR, marketing, media and people who want a career change but just need a chance to prove themselves to an employer who is prepared to take a punt on someone slightly risky.

If anyone knows an employer who would help me make this dream a reality, I'd love to hear from them.

EggysMom Wed 11-Oct-17 13:42:07

If education, experience, salary, childcare was no concern Can we add "if the workload of the role wasn't going to be an issue" too?

If so, I'd be a disability social worker in children's services, as my experience shows there is an extreme shortage which results in the families feeling completely unsupported.

KoalasAteMyHomework Wed 11-Oct-17 13:57:50

For me it would be one of the legal secretary or law related jobs. I'd love to break into law but think it'll be a long time, if ever, before I can afford to retrain and convert my degree. Plus I would struggle to balance the work load with childcare etc. In a perfect world I would work in law part time from home!!

Scoleah Wed 11-Oct-17 14:08:19

I’d love to be a Midwife!

2017RedBlue Wed 11-Oct-17 14:34:06

I'd be looking for some much more fringe stuff in the new tech categories.

Some of the stuff you suggested up above Mumsnet feels a bit stuffy and old school.

I want flexi working. I wouldn't mind going to an office now and then - but not having to be present ALL THE TIME just for the sake of being present.

My favourite jobs have always been a mix of creativity and analysis and usually for start ups. I love product development, tech, design and entrepreneurship. That sort of stuff. Free-thinking places. Where I get paid to think and innovate.

MiniTheMinx Wed 11-Oct-17 17:22:45

I would start a residential school for children with EBD and looked after children. There would be lots of therapy, talking and the schooling would be individualised and led by the children's own interests. There would be no such thing as time tables, tests, competition, and no punitive measures.

Or else, I'd be an international diamond thief.

UpOnDown Wed 11-Oct-17 17:39:45

I would be a children's occupatinoal therapist

ephemeralfairy Wed 11-Oct-17 17:54:05

Funeral director

wellhonestly Wed 11-Oct-17 17:56:33

Editor working from home.

buckbeak Wed 11-Oct-17 18:13:51

I’d love love love to work for mi5 grin

NapQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 18:16:15

If I could go back in time and retrain then either an architect or playground designer.

Currently, I would love to just do my current job (admin/finance) gor about 5k more a year.

NerrSnerr Wed 11-Oct-17 18:27:16

If an actual job I’d be a full time sports coach, but I’d be happy to be a SAHM if we could afford it.

scrivette Wed 11-Oct-17 19:11:30

I would love to work in a role where I felt that I was helping/supporting people and that I could make a difference to someone’s day/life.

I think I would like to work as breastfeeding support worker, I was given such good advice when I was struggling with breastfeeding both from Mumsnet and support workers. I hear of other Mum’s struggling and would like to offer the support that I was given.

Landed Wed 11-Oct-17 19:32:48

I'd like a job where I would be helping others to have a good feeling from dealing with a company because I too felt that way working for said company!

whiteroseredrose Wed 11-Oct-17 19:47:17

I'd like to test mattresses by sleeping on them!

BonjourMeDarlin Wed 11-Oct-17 20:40:42

I would like to be a professional holder and cuddler of newborn babies.

Summerisdone Wed 11-Oct-17 21:02:37

I would like to be a house dresser. Have people hire me to 'dress' and prep their homes when up for sale to make them more appealing to potential buyers

thatstoast Wed 11-Oct-17 21:19:26

Winona Ryder's personal assistant or politician.

Butteredparsn1ps Wed 11-Oct-17 22:53:11

Chocolate tester.

Failing that tea tester, wine tester, cake tester...

Seriously, if I could have my time again, I would love to make fancy patisserie.

Smeaton Thu 12-Oct-17 00:17:10

In all seriousness, my ideal job would be working at home doing anything at all for 5 hours a day between 9.30 - 2.30 term time only. That would do me..

mumoffour1716154 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:31:41

Would love to be a part of useful research studies, and just read and write.

mumoffour1716154 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:34:58

Also be able to run residential foster home centre where vulnerable adults, children can stay safely and have a healthy and productive environment. Also somewhere that young parents/single can get support of any kind

KoalasAteMyHomework Thu 12-Oct-17 08:53:35

Same here Smeaton

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now