Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Got a question for Frank Lampard? £100 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(31 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Oct-17 11:53:01

The Premier League is searching for young ‘Writing Stars’ with its Premier League Primary Stars poetry competition. To tie in with this, we are going back to school with football star, children’s author and Premier League Writing Stars judge Frank Lampard this Wednesday.

This is your chance to ask Frank, author of the 'Frankie's Magic Football' series, about his role as a competition judge, the importance of encouraging children to read and write more, and how using your child’s passion for sport can help inspire learning.

Plus, Frank will explain all about why he is encouraging children to write poetry about resilience and how your children could win great prizes like a Premier League trophy school visit, their poems published in a limited-edition book or even read out by top football stars.

All who post a question below by lunchtime Wednesday 11th October will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

* Image courtesy of Chelsea FC

2014newme Tue 10-Oct-17 12:03:37

Frank, why did you think resilience is so important to today's children and so you think Sport plays a role in this?

Chelsea26 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:20:02

I have a 6 year old son who is obsessed by football - it's all he wants to watch, play and talk about. I would like him to do Someyhing else too - is there another sport you would recommend alongside
Football that compliments the skills needed so I can convince him to give it a go?

P.S. note the username! Big fan! Thanks for everything!

EvilDoctorBallerinaVampireDuck Tue 10-Oct-17 12:34:13

Hi Frank. A kids' football coach once said that DS2 had amazing ball control at 2.5. His dad was semi pro. How young do you think you can genuinely spot talent?

PseudoBadger Tue 10-Oct-17 13:24:49

Hi Frank,

My son only really started to enjoy reading when he realised there were fiction books out there about football, and your series is one of those that he enjoys. He would still rather play the game though!
How did your parents ensure that you kept a balance between academic and sporting activities?

sorrycamel Tue 10-Oct-17 13:27:02

I had not heard of this, but just looked it up and it sounds like a great idea.

The campaign's theme is resilience which is an important trait for all aspects of life. But its one I find hard to teach to my young son as my instinct is to help and provide my 4 year old with everything he needs.

My question to Frank is - In your experience, what helps young children (3-5 years old) develop this skill?

ScaryMary81 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:30:31

Hey Frank, Do you think the competitive aspect in sport contributes to better attainment and resilience?

(I ask, as many schools actively discourage competition, (who won/lost) and I feel it takes some of the fun and learning curves out of participating in a competitive sport).

IToldYouIWasFreaky Tue 10-Oct-17 15:49:43

My nearly 10 year old is a massive football fan, and really struggles with resilience so I'll be following this with interest.
Like others, I find it so hard to teach resilience as I want to help DS with everything he needs and also push him to be the best he can be, whether at school or playing football. As a result he always wants to be the best and can take "failure" hard. This manifests outwardly in sulks and strops but recently DS has also started articulating that he feels that he's no good etc.
So, I guess my question is how do you think resilience and self esteem are linked and what can we do to encourage both, while also encouraging children to do their best?

DaisyDando Tue 10-Oct-17 16:57:46

In your experience, what is the wrong way to go about encouraging a reluctant reader?

ClashCityRocker Tue 10-Oct-17 17:08:47

Hi Frank..

Do you enjoy reading to unwind, and if so what is your favourite type of book?

fleshmarketclose Tue 10-Oct-17 18:30:58

Hello Frank, just wanted to say thank you because you and the rest of the Chelsea team have brought enormous joy over the years to my son who has autism. As a quick nod to reading so in keeping with the thread, I buy him Sky Football Year Book each year and he memorises all the Chelsea statistics so is a walking encyclopedia. Do you have any book recommendations that would appeal to a huge Chelsea fan?

ErinSophia Tue 10-Oct-17 19:28:26

Do you enjoy reading in your spare time or is reading an everyday thing for you ?

EasterRobin Tue 10-Oct-17 19:41:29

Hi Frank,

What do you look for in a winning poem?

timshortfforthalia Tue 10-Oct-17 20:48:40

My daughter has a toy rabbit named after you.

Who would you name your rabbit after?

aristocat Tue 10-Oct-17 21:27:30

My son is a huge football fan. Our question is - who is the best player you have ever played against?
Thank You smile

Growingboys Tue 10-Oct-17 21:49:53

What would you say to a girl who wanted to join her school’s team but was teased for wanting to play a ‘boys’ game’?

Thank you

theresamustgo Tue 10-Oct-17 22:19:26

What is your favourite poem?

Sleepysausage Wed 11-Oct-17 06:54:25

Hi. What inspired you to become a children author?

AWholeLottaRosie Wed 11-Oct-17 08:04:27

Hi Frank, who is your favourite author?

NutellaDoughnut Wed 11-Oct-17 08:46:50

Hello Frank,

My question is…

"What more can be done to combat bullying in schools and does appropriate literature, as well as team sports, have a role to play?"

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Wed 11-Oct-17 09:44:43

What piece of writing/book as a child inspired you to read

flimflaminurjams Wed 11-Oct-17 10:46:52

Reading is still seen as something more for girls than for boys, though it is changing, albeit slowly.

When travelling to matches (club/county) and you and your teammates had downtime, who were the readers within the team and did they ever share recommendations for books?

MoreProseccoNow Wed 11-Oct-17 10:53:33

How can we encourage more girls in to football? It seems to be seen as a “boy” thing, from a young age.

Your books have encouraged my DS to read fiction; he really enjoys them.

I like the theme of resilience; it’s important to be a good loser & promote professional sportsperson behaviour (losing with grace, no over-invested parents bullying their child from the sidelines) - can you think of other ways this can be done?

Fiveanddone Wed 11-Oct-17 11:17:31

Our son prefers audio books. He'd love your book series . Any chance of an audio book to make it accessible to all?

bunningsbunny Wed 11-Oct-17 13:46:33

As I haven't had lunch yet, I hope that I've managed to squeak in a question!

DS (12) is sports mad and always on the go, but has only played for a local football team for the last year or so, where his football skills have been coming on in leaps and bounds. He wants to know, could school have encouraged his skill development earlier or should I have realised that he should have been playing for a local team in order to get this development. And what do you think of initiatives like running around the playground for a mile in the morning before lessons to start the day well - is there anything like that you could suggest that would help tie learning and football together that would encourage my other son (who is decidedly not sporty) to get involved and enjoy playing football, which is something he currently sees as a chore and/or punishment.

Whereas I as a long time Mnetter obviously want to know what's your favourite biscuit biscuit and how do biscuits feature in your life when playing football...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now