Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Co-op Insurance what you look for when buying a used car - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(386 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Aug-17 15:50:00

Whether you are buying a small family car, something fun for yourself, or perhaps a first car for your teenager, there are many things to consider such as size, fuel economy, and comfort to name a few. Co-op Insurance think safety is really important but would like to find out what is most important to you when you are buying a used car.

Here’s what Co-op Insurance has to say: “We know safety is paramount when it comes to driving children around and finding an affordable used car that offers the best safety standards will be important to many mums. For this reason we have identified and unveiled the top 5 used cars (under £5,000) for passenger safety. Whether it's your teenager’s first car or your car, passenger safety is very important and often an afterthought with all the other aspects to think about.”

So what is important to you when buying a used car? Are you savvy in finding the best price or do you shamelessly want a nice colour? Perhaps it’s all about the in-car entertainment for you to avoid the dreaded ‘are we there yet’? Or are you adamant that you must be able to fit three car seats in the back? Whatever your most important features are, please share them below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

PinglePongle Tue 01-Aug-17 16:24:25

For me our next car has to look right, have enough space for pushchairs and 2 car seats and tick the boxes for safety.

Which can be a hard search for under 5k!

Dangermouse80 Tue 01-Aug-17 17:10:46

It will all be about space. Plenty of room for kids car seats and boot space for days out / holidays.
Will always consult the car guides before considering cars to see how they fare in terms of safety / repairs / common issues etc.

AngelwingsPetlamb Tue 01-Aug-17 17:38:21

Practicality, versatility and reliability, then trustworthy garage to buy from and ability to haggle on price or extras. Insurance group not ridiculously high and Running costs affordable too.

WhosTakingDeHorseToFrance Tue 01-Aug-17 17:45:21

Safely always my biggest concern then insurance and running costs. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it's reliable!

I changed my car in January and the price offered to part exchange my old car was a big factor in deciding which garage to buy from!

I wanted something safe, reliable, affordable, with low mileage and a decent sized engine. I moved from a small car to a crossover car as my son liked being higher and able to see out of the window better.

indesit12345 Tue 01-Aug-17 18:51:23

Must be able to inspect the car prior to exchange.

CopperPan Tue 01-Aug-17 18:58:10

Good reliability and fuel efficiency are the most important to me. I don't use cars that often as we are city-centre based, but we do use them when we go on holiday and out of town on day trips, so the last thing we want is to have it breaking down miles from home.

carolineandbaby Tue 01-Aug-17 19:12:51

Well I hate to be boring but it is all safety safety safety for me and a used car. I like to have a copy of the full mot and service history. following from this things like mileage, fuel efficiency and storage facilities.

vickyors Tue 01-Aug-17 19:37:50

I couldn't care less about colour. When I choose a car, and we always get pre-owned, I want comfort, and I need Bluetooth connectivity so I can call on the go or connect stories for the kids. Also, I like leather seats. We have them currently on our VW and they are so practical! I like a turbo, or a decent engine when the car is loaded with kids, bags and surf boards! Oh, and we have estates- for the stuff!!

ClashCityRocker Tue 01-Aug-17 20:46:08

Reliability here.

Also we know the garage we usually buy them from has excellent after sales service.

And a big boot!

BeeMyBaby Tue 01-Aug-17 20:56:20

That it's been regularly serviced and not many previous owners so hopefully there will be no nasty hidden surprises.

Gazelda Tue 01-Aug-17 20:58:09

Space and a reliable reputation. And heated wing mirrors.

sb4278 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:02:21

Reliability
Big boot space
Fuel efficiency

FuckingHateRats Tue 01-Aug-17 22:02:22

We always buy used cars - for me a car is to get you from A to B. My husband uses our car for work and has about a 40m drive each way. We look for fuel efficiency, a decent sized boot, mileage and service history.

80sbabi07 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:22:28

My used car tick list: Must have a good Euro NCAP rating, have relatively low mileage on the clock & been regularly serviced. Not fussed about the colour as long as the body work is in good order. always look for the most fuel efficient model. A big, deep boot to fit the buggy n shopping in. good peripherals throughout with an easy to navigate centre console and child lock doors!

FannyFifer Tue 01-Aug-17 22:31:02

We are just about to get our first car, no idea what we are looking for really. A decent boot, low road tax & reasonable insurance.

theresamustgo Tue 01-Aug-17 22:32:05

Safety record, fuel efficiency, and a lovely colour!

HalimaB Tue 01-Aug-17 22:39:31

Needs to be a family car can fit 3 car seats in the back and a big boot for pushchair and shopping. Needs to be economical and efficient. MOT passed and serviced regularly with low mileage. We usually tend to go to main dealers as they can provide some sort of guarantee and will do work on the car if theres a problem

honeyandginger48 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:41:32

Safe, reliable, efficient and inexpensive to insure. My teenage children both want to learn to drive, so I will be looking for a car that's affordable to insure for them too.

Imnotapenguin Tue 01-Aug-17 22:49:20

Having just brought a new used car the main thing I looked for were isofix points. But I usually a typical female and have a set list:
Can't be red or green
Can't be a certain make
Do not like certain males of cars
Has to look right.
Cost
Insurance price etc

I am a right nightmare to go shopping.

Alexandra87 Wed 02-Aug-17 06:12:50

Needs to have 7 seats (we are a family of 5 but find the extra seats come in handy for family/friends)
Can fit 3 car seats
Affordable
Cheap to run

PoppyPopcorn Wed 02-Aug-17 07:39:35

Has to be space. We've always gone for a 7 seater as it's so handy - we have three kids and are often ferrying friends around too. Not so fussed about brand or colour, but I never want the same colour as my husband's car as matchy-matchy is a bit twee.

FlukeSkyeRunner Wed 02-Aug-17 07:52:09

Size - big enough to comfortably fit in four, but not too big to easily park in small spaces. Safety, price and fuel economy. Not bothered about colour, with the exception that it mustn't be pink, brown or orange.

LittlePinguin Wed 02-Aug-17 08:06:07

When I changed cars at the start of the year I took my golf clubs around the forecourt as they had to fit in the boot.

I also need to be able to adjust the drivers seat up & down so I can see over the steering wheel as I'm very short!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now