Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Soreen about your healthy snacks that pass lunchbox police scrutiny- £300 to be won!

(233 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Jul-17 11:45:51

Most Mumsnetters are probably familiar with the concept of the lunchbox police - those whose job it is at your child’s school to ensure pupil’s lunchboxes meet a certain standard. The fact is, whether you like them or not, if there are lunchbox police at your DC’s school, you have to make sure your snacks comply with their rules. This being the case, Soreen want to know about your go-to recipes for healthy snacking that get past the beady eyes of even the toughest lunchbox police officer.

Here’s what Soreen have to say about their Lunchbox Loaves: "We know how hard it is to find a snack for school lunchboxes that’s both nutritious and tasty but Soreen Lunchbox Loaves strike that perfect balance. Available in Malt and Banana flavours with a satisfyingly squidgy texture, Lunchbox Loaves are individually wrapped, low in fat, contain only 95 calories and provide a source of fibre.

If that wasn’t enough, Soreen Lunchbox Loaves are also suitable for vegetarians and meet guidelines set by the Children’s Food Trust for ‘School Foods Standards’ - so you should have no problem getting them past the lunchbox police."

To help other Mumsnetters branch out beyond bread sticks and yoghurt, tell us about your best lunch box recipes for the ultimate police-proof snacks. Post on the thread with your healthy alternatives to chocolate, crisps and cakes and you could be in with a chance of winning a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

NauticalDisaster Mon 17-Jul-17 12:54:21

I've always made sure I follow the school rules about what snacks are allowed but still got a snotty note back saying the person monitoring the lunches thought I sent too much fruit!

I will still say that fruit is still my go to snack in a pack lunch, power hungry lunch police be damned!

WarmHugs Mon 17-Jul-17 13:38:21

Well I actually send in Soreen lunchbox packs in, and we have no issues! I was a bit worried as they look like junk, but they seem ok with the lunchbox police!

Also send in bananas, and an apple goes in but always comes home.

asuwere Mon 17-Jul-17 15:57:50

We don't have lunch police at DC school but I tend to keep their lunch healthy anyway. My go to snacks are either fruit or homemade raisin pancakes (dropped scones) smile

Flanderspigeonmurderer Mon 17-Jul-17 16:01:36

A banana always goes down well. For veg I usually try a bit of cucumber and cherry tomatoes but sometimes they don't get eaten. My eldest really likes hummus and will eat it off a spoon, is that healthy?!

PumpkinSpiceEverything Mon 17-Jul-17 16:28:00

Peanut butter and banana "sushi" (rolled up in a wholegrain wrap and sliced)

Homemade oat biscuits without any processed sugar

Chia pudding made with coconut yogurt, cacao powder, and chia seeds

HermanCakeDestroyer Mon 17-Jul-17 17:41:06

Plain popcorn for us gets past the lunchbox police!
Seeds such as pumpkin seeds are also good to put in a lunchbox.

AngelwingsPetlamb Mon 17-Jul-17 17:50:11

My DC is a very fussy eater and so lunchbox snacks will be yoghurt or fromage frais as he does not like fruit or salad - very tricky to manage really.

Byrdie Mon 17-Jul-17 17:54:33

Boringly, my healthy snack choices for school lunch boxes are fruit - strawberries or bananas. We have a banana guard to protect them from getting any bruises (very important for my fussy kids).

TopsysMum Mon 17-Jul-17 17:55:22

We use Soreen loaves too. Also Bear Yoyos seem to pass as they're one of their five a day. I like them for that reason!

Pillowaddict Mon 17-Jul-17 17:55:29

Homemade banana bread, pitta and hummus, cucumber, carrot and pepper sticks, pears, plums, chicken drumsticks and baby bel cheese all go down well and are fairly healthy (imo!)

Maisiesaves Mon 17-Jul-17 18:01:47

Carrot sticks, jelly is one of your 5 a day, right?? ;') Bread sticks, cheese sticks not cheese strings! Cheese savouries. Rice cakes. Grapes, bananas, apple slices.

pinkunicornsarefluffy Mon 17-Jul-17 18:12:08

DD always has yogurt, cheese, fruit and sandwich or a wrap. We haven't fallen foul of the lunchbox police yet.

Tonkatol Mon 17-Jul-17 18:12:54

Frubes, usually a piece of fruit such as an apple or banana and then smaller fruit such as blueberries or slices of watermelon. I am also lucky that my DD loves pepper, so I try to give her sliced pepper at least once a week. Do sometimes find it hard to vary it. My DS loves the Sorren loaves and takes them to work for his mid morning snack but DD isn't so keen. If I have had time, my DD likes homemade flapjacks with dried apricots in. She likes eating dried mango but I try to restrict that as not the most healthy snack, even it passes the lunchbox police criteria!

sharond101 Mon 17-Jul-17 18:27:43

Dried fruit snacks are acceptable to my son and to school so although expensive thats what I buy.

userinfinity Mon 17-Jul-17 18:47:42

I send dates and sometimes they're the chocolate coated ones which still seem to pass. I do send fruit winders as a treat, still need to try making my own versions, as even though they pass I'm sure they could be healthier

ButterflyOfFreedom Mon 17-Jul-17 18:54:41

Fruit & veg! Luckily my DC will eat both. Favourites include blueberries, grapes & apples, carrot sticks, pepper sticks & cherry tomatoes.

Rice cakes, crackers & oatcakes are also a big hit.

I also get 'bars' - so things like Goodies oat bars or those made purely from fruit.

Elliepurpleflower Mon 17-Jul-17 18:56:06

Hummous & cucumber, raisens, frubes and fruit are some of our usual healthy snacks smile if they are lucky some soreen too smile

Cintacmrs Mon 17-Jul-17 19:23:31

pitta slices - hommous- raisins- cous cous, pot of fruit. no soreen as dairy free but hubby and DS LOVE IT

Maugrim Mon 17-Jul-17 19:30:45

I add mini cucumbers, baby tomatoes and mini peppers to their lunch. I also put in dips or paprika baked chick peas.

foxessocks Mon 17-Jul-17 19:34:12

Bread sticks, cucumber sticks, grapes , strawberries , babybels are all snacks that my dd likes to take

Xmasbaby11 Mon 17-Jul-17 19:53:04

I'm a bit wary of soreen or any dried fruit as a snack as I think it sticks to teeth.

I'd give fresh fruit or crackers and humous / cheese cubes.

NotTodayDear Mon 17-Jul-17 19:58:42

My son takes cherry tomatoes in his packed lunch instead of cake/fruit - his idea and he gets through a couple of boxes a week.

IndianaMoleWoman Mon 17-Jul-17 20:08:25

Ham and veg kebabs!

Grate a cucumber horizontally to make a long, wafer thin slice. Fold it back and forth into a zigzag shape and pop on a cocktail stick with a piece of ham and a cherry tomato.

You can mix it up with cheese, carrot, chicken pieces, anything you like really...pineapple, melon and grape works well too.

Makes it fun to eat and cuts out the bread/roll/wrap if you forgot to buy a loaf at Tesco

Disclaimer: only works if your children can be trusted with a tiny sharp stick!

gin33333 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:21:21

I would say the best snacks are flapjacks and fruit bags with grapes and apple which are very healthy and police proof

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now