Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Fairy Non Bio about your experience with baby health - £300 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(343 Posts)
AmeliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-May-17 15:09:25

As part of our partnership with Fairy Non Bio, we’ve produced the Mumsnet Babies Podcast. There are ten episodes in the series, and so far we’ve released five. Episode four is about health, and you can listen to it here. Fairy Non Bio would like you to listen to the podcast whenever you can and then discuss your experience with commonplace baby health issues.

There’s nothing like the new found responsibility of a brand new life, and it’s easy to let anxiety take over and maybe worry too much when that new little one gets the sniffles. Fairy Non Bio would like to hear about your experience with baby health. So, whether you have experience with coughs and colds, eczema, chickenpox, colic or other minor illness - share your experience below.

What do you ensure you always have in your medicine cabinet to avoid a wild goose chase for an open pharmacy on a Sunday evening? Maybe you have tips for keeping your LO comfortable and yourself sane while they’re unwell, or have advice for dealing with common ailments?

Everyone who posts on the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

If you’d like to rate the Mumsnet Babies Podcast, please go to the iTunes store to add a review.

Thanks, and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

InvisibleKittenAttack Thu 04-May-17 17:05:55

We keep stocked up on calpol, children's nurofen, children's piriton, aveeno cream and beyond that we cope!

foxessocks Thu 04-May-17 17:11:47

We have calpol , teething gel, sudocrem and plasters . If they are poorly we have a day of rest in front of the TV , lots of sleep, lots of fluids , seems to do the trick for minor ailments

Lovelilies Thu 04-May-17 18:40:37

Always have calpol, ibuprofen and piriton handy!
When DD1 had chicken pox the only thing that gave her some relief was a gel called Virasoothe. Well worth £10 a tube!
When DC have a sickness bug, let them sleep on a towel then it can be quickly whipped of and replaced if they puke in bed confused

Rainbowsaretoo Thu 04-May-17 18:53:46

Bless them. Coughs and colds was all about helping them sleep through it mostly. Proping up the head end of the cot and we used Snuggle babe to help them too.. just make sure it's not put anywhere that can get on their hands so it doesn't end up being rubbed in their eyes! When the kids were sick we used to put the bed wetting pads on the bed so the mattress didn't get ruined too.

malaguena Thu 04-May-17 19:05:27

Definitely plasters and Calpol for fevers. Tegarome, which is a mix of essential oils, for grazes, Arnica cream for burns, aveeno or liniment cream for nappy rash, and good qualitg honey for colds and coughs( not for very young children clearly). Plus plenty of sleep, kisses and water. We try to avoid antibiotics unless there is no other option. We manage with that much of the time!

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 04-May-17 19:08:52

I didn't know you could give Calpol (paracetamol based) and Neurofen (Ibuprofen) until dd1 was very unwell. It made such a difference being able to get her temperature down.

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 04-May-17 20:43:56

We always have a supply of calpol, sudocrem, plasters, & dry skin cream / moisturiser for the DC.
And we always have a supply of paracetamol, antihistamines, nurofen, & strepsils for us grown ups!

If any of us are ever feeling under the weather we also have to dig out the blanket & dvds too!

user1489434024 Thu 04-May-17 20:59:09

I'm emetophobic so I have hydrogen peroxide on standby. I have calpol for kids. Plasters (monkey ones, Disney ones and Frozen ones).

We also have Sterimar for snotty nosed.

I think the biggest hurdle is helping the little ones cope and understand their aches and pains.

Notadacrefan Thu 04-May-17 21:03:03

Paracetamol/Ibuprofen. Nelson's Teetha. Plasters when they are older.
A strip thermometer when they are small, and if you're going to get a digital one, make it a decent one. It's hard work holding a poorly toddler still whilst a slow thermometer measures their temperature.

My tip is - if your baby is off sorts, and there's nothing specific, they're just miserable and off their food, give Paracetamol/Ibuprofen. Having caught a few of the DC's viruses and felt awful, I realised the children weren't just cranky for the previous days, they were unwell and unable to articulate it.

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 04-May-17 21:03:08

Calpol, saline drops, bulbous syringe for getting the snot out!, daktarin, sudacream, plasters and thermometer.

It's about just riding out the wave of colds and coughs ahd also able been able to recognise when it's more serious such as croup, viral wheeze etc

JanuaryQueen Thu 04-May-17 22:03:13

I always make sure we have nurofen children liquid, sticky plasters with a cool character on, Savlon, antihistamine cream and some 'magic' moisturiser for when I'm not sure what to do.

BonjourMeDarlin Thu 04-May-17 22:13:36

We keep a basic first aid kit with antihistamines and calpol in the car and in the house. We also have some in a backpack that we can take anywhere with us if we need to go somewhere quickly.
We keep old, big tshirts for if the kids are being sick as the can be taken off easily and thrown away. I read on here before to put a few drops of zoflora in the bottom of the bucket when they are being sick 😷

Treaclespongeandcustard Thu 04-May-17 22:26:46

We keep teething powder, calpol, neurofen, germolene and piriton in at all times. It's amazing how fast 'magic' cream (germolene) and a character plaster (peppa or frozen especially but any will do) end tears. All is well again after a magic kiss. When they are really ill I try to give them lots of clear fluids (water, juice) with special straws to encourage them to drink more and stay hydrated. Failing that I give them ice lollies too. Usually cuddles and extra sleep helps. For sick bugs we have a colourful bowl we keep next to the bed. If accidents occur then usually it's a clean bed and bath job. All fun and games. Luckily they're not ill very often smile

ImGoingForATwix Thu 04-May-17 23:13:14

Always have a stock of calpol and basic first aid and we have a digital thermometer. Beyond that, we'd just go out and get what we needed as and when. We live in a city though, so this is relatively straightforward.

Polyanthus Fri 05-May-17 06:36:05

We always have the usual children's paracetamol & ibuprofen in the cupboard but the thing I bought once we had children was a thermometer. We hadn't had one before but i found it really reassuring and helpful - when we were kids my mum could just put a hand on our foreheads and announce whether we were hot or not ...but I like the reassurance of measuring an actual temperature.

FlukeSkyeRunner Fri 05-May-17 07:32:16

We always have ibuprofen, supermarkets own version of calpol, pasta, sudocrem, piriton and hydrocortisone for eczema flare ups. And a thermometer. Oh and olbas oil, which is amazing for night time blocked noses.

voyager50 Fri 05-May-17 08:48:41

Calpol and sudocrem are a must as well as an in-ear digital thermometer but the best treatment seems to be lots of cuddles when they are small.

When they are a bit older - a duvet on the sofa in front of the television seems to be a good cure!!

sharond101 Fri 05-May-17 10:26:21

I get my children outdoors as much as possible which I believe really helps. I always keep paracetamol and antihistamines in for those unexpected ailments.

Shiraznowplease Fri 05-May-17 11:42:27

I keep calpol, nurofen liquid, pirition, paediatric simple Linctus, aqueous calamine cream, ovex worm medicine (twice this school year already🙄), hedrin nit lotion and my cure all cream Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (or magic cream as my kids call it!). We also have a range of plasters (Disney princess And Star Wars). Also a Braun ear thermometer and spare covers for it.
In our 'adult' cabinet we just have my pill 🙊

Srathore Fri 05-May-17 14:12:20

I always have calpol, and nurofen for my children and different ones to suit their age groups. I would never be without ambesol, I also use bonjella for when he is teething. Sudocrem, piriton, Vitamins, for their age group. Simple linctus. I also have a child that suffers from eczema, so I always have Eperderm ointment and cream, occasionally hydrocortisone, aveeno body wash, aqueous with camomile for any surprises. I think it's really important to not mollycoddle your children, I try to stay positive about anything and get them to believe that they can fight any bugs or viruses off. I used to tell my children that the vitamin tablets are a designed to make you more intelligent, more aware and helps them excel in anything that they do, anything is possible and never limit to the opportunity for possibilities in your life. I kind of wanted to use it as a placebo, and I am still very grateful that this worked for me. It's like teaching them about mind over matter and self belief, with out having to pull my hair out. I told them that they are a gift from god. I loved how excited they were when they first started to eat them. I highly recommend this for parents who would like to help their children excel. Be more creative and confident to do something different from the crowd. Plasters have got to be waterproof. I'm personally allergic to the adhesive on fabricated plasters. A thermometer can solve a lot of issues too. So I always have one to hand. smilewink

asuwere Fri 05-May-17 16:14:13

I usually have a bottle of paracetamol in the cupboard, plus plasters, a cool pack in fridge and ice pack in freezer. Generally when ill, the most they need is water, a cuddle and a movie smile

MunchyMunchkin Fri 05-May-17 18:06:19

Calpol, ibuprofen and piriton kept in at all times. Last thing you want with a sick child is to have to go out. Especially if you are by yourself.

CopperPan Fri 05-May-17 19:15:26

We always have Calpol, plasters, insect sting cream, arnica cream for bruises, and various painkillers. I use tea tree oil for antiseptic and Olbas oil for blocked noses - great for adults as well as the kids.

CheeseEMouse Fri 05-May-17 21:19:14

Like others a basic stock of calpol/nurofen/piriton etc in the house. When my 3 yo is ill and tired, cuddling down to watch Frozen seems to do the trick. Well, for a short while anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now