Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell the team behind the NEW Smurfs movie about your DC's weird and wonderful hiding places - £300 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(229 Posts)
AmeliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Mar-17 11:16:13

To celebrate the launch of the latest Smurfs film, Smurfs: The Lost Village, in cinemas March 31, we'd like to hear all about your kids’ favourite hiding places. What are the oddest places things have been lost and found in your house? Please share your stories in the thread below.

Here’s what Smurfs has to say about their latest film: “In this all-new take on the Smurfs, a mysterious map sets Smurfette and her best friends Brainy, Clumsy, and Hefty on an exciting race through the Forbidden Forest, to find a mysterious lost village before the evil wizard Gargamel does. It’s a Smurftastic adventure!”

So, which weird and wonderful places have your DC picked out as hiding spots? Perhaps they've lost a treasured possession after putting it somewhere for "safe keeping"? Or have you found 'hidden' snacks in the crack between their bed and the wall? Toys in the depths of the airing cupboard? Notes from school stuffed in the fridge? (Perhaps you're guilty of some of these yourself!)

Or perhaps you've found your child hiding somewhere unusual - in the dog basket, or in the laundry under a pile of dirty pants and socks? Maybe you discovered they’d turned your favourite geranium bush into a top secret spy headquarters?

Whatever your story, Smurfs would like to hear it so please post it below. Everyone who posts will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Smurfs: The Lost Village will hit UK cinemas March 31, with special preview screenings March 25 and 26.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Cambam2010 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:55:32

My DS hides behind my armchair. It is in a corner so there is a triangle gap behind it. I store blankets in the gap for when it is cold and we want to snuggle up whilst watching a film. He will climb into the gap and pull the blankets up over his head. A great place to hide, except my DS is tall for his age and the blankets end up sticking up and obviously giving away his hiding place. I just walk by without giving him a second glance and pretend that I can't see him. Do the usual trick of calling out for him and pretending to look for him. He loves it.

I'm slightly sure that he is a teenager in disguise though as he also has a knack of hiding cake wrappers and crisp wrappers in the gap between my sofa and the wall and the coffee table and the radiator. This is pure laziness on his part as he can not be bothered to go to the bin.

FuckingHateRats Mon 06-Mar-17 13:58:18

I always find things hidden in my boots! Cereal, a rogue plastic spider, LEGO... They don't kids much around the house but love to hide their dirty clothes under their beds...hmm

Summerholidayblues Mon 06-Mar-17 14:51:37

Generally all items can be found in the little bag on the handle of her dolly's buggy - this is where she hides our keys and bank cards anyway!
If she's in a mood, behind the curtain is hiding place number 1. Behind a bush in the garden is place number 2.

BeeMyBaby Mon 06-Mar-17 15:18:15

My DDs like to hide in clear view in the corridor under their towels after a bath hmm

punkpuffin Mon 06-Mar-17 15:27:54

My son mived his duvet outside our bedroom door the other day. I went to find him to ask him to put it back. I couldn't find him anywhere. I finally found him under the duvet, laid perfectly flat and perfectly still. He was there 15 mins before I found him. He has some staying power for a 3 year old!

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Mar-17 15:34:39

In our old house, everything that was missing ended up in the gas meter cupboard. There was a gap perfect for squeezing things through without opening the doors (open plan house, gas meter at floor level in sitting room). But not only did then toddler ds hide things, so did the cat! The first time I found this out, I opened the cupboard for the person to read the meter and there was a pile of milk bottle seals, scrunched up crisp packets, baubles and socks blush

foxessocks Mon 06-Mar-17 16:34:03

My dd when age 2 helpfully hid all of my bank cards and cash in one of her own bags in a zip pocket and then put the bag behind the TV confused . Unfortunately this left me a bit red faced when I went to pay at the shop and I had to call my dh!

Soubriquet Mon 06-Mar-17 16:42:53

My Dd's genius hiding spot when we was playing hide and seek grin

My Ds loves to hide things like biscuits for later. His favourite hiding spot? Your shoes. You go to put a shoe on and feel a lovely crumbly biscuit. He is most disgusted when you find it

Tonkatol Mon 06-Mar-17 18:18:23

When DS was 2, we couldn't find his shoes. We hunted high and low but couldn't find them. We went out and bought him a pair of trainers (at that age my children usually only had one pair of fitted shoes and a pair of wellies, so bought fitted trainers to tide us over). It was only when tidying some of his toy cars upstairs a few days later, that I moved his Fisher Price Garage - behind the two doors at the bottom were both his shoes!

tinyterrors Mon 06-Mar-17 18:57:19

My ds went through a stage of hiding everything in the wash basket. I accidentally washed dh's mobile when ds hid it in the wash basket and I chucked it in the machine along with the washing. It was three years ago but I still check the washing as I load the machine.

Dd used to hide all over the house, she was and still is amazing at staying still and quiet. She scared the life out of me I certainly when, in the two minutes I was upstairs, she climbed onto the shelf of the toy cupboard and closed the doors behind her. When I came down I couldn't find her anywhere, I called her and searched upstairs and down and was starting to worry when I heard faint snoring coming from the toy cupboard. I opened the door and she's there curled up on the second shelf fast asleep.

The worst was when ds 'hid' my bank card and the money in my purse "to stop it getting stolen mummy". Unfortunately he'd hidden it between the floorboards of our room. Luckily dh was able to get the board up and retrieve the card and money.

sjonlegs Mon 06-Mar-17 20:23:41

My DD has always been a great little hider, behind bushes, making dens, behind doors, under beds, etc, etc... so much so that she's freaked us out on more than one occasion! I can remember a few summers ago when we had friends round for a barbecue and she disappeared and I was frantic until I heard giggles .... then she parted the branches at the top of our tree and she'd climbed all the way up (at least 8 foot!)! I was frantic. She's fearless and nimble!!

Faithless12 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:51:54

DS is pretty awful at hiding. He used to hide under my bed with his feet popping out now he can't hide under the bed he will hide behind a pillow. As a child my favourite hiding place was behind our sofa.

del2929 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:58:34

well, found many sweet wrappers down the side of DD bed.. she denies any knowledge of how they got there.

IonaAilidh11 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:03:46

i always find empty crisp packets under pillows, no one ever admits who does it

vickyors Mon 06-Mar-17 21:42:04

My four y old is not 'brilliant' at hiding. When we play hide and seek, she tends to hide, in a crouched position, wherever she was last.
So, imagine the scene.
Breakfast.
Hears daddy coming downstairs.
She hides her head under breakfast table.
Legs still out.
Totally visible.
But invisible. Of course.

Cracks me up every time. And every morning.

123julie321 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:46:16

DD went through a phrase of hiding her spellings in the a box of cornflakes in the cereal cupboard! It was the only cupboard she could reach, and she figured if she hid it there in the afternoon when she got home from school, no one would think of looking in there until the morning, so no one would come across it when her homework "mysteriously" went missing. It was quite clever really and worked out quite well until one evening DH was in the mood for a quick bowl of cereal for an evening snack, and what do you know, DD's spelling book is stuffed inside grin

theresamustgo Mon 06-Mar-17 21:49:00

Our house is so messy the children can be lost for ages, under piles of clothes, behind walls of books, behind heaps of old electronics that has not made it to landfill.To be honest, I would be surprised if they were ever quickly found. They do tend to make it easy though and just squeeze behind door s or hide under the duvet.

HopefulHamster Mon 06-Mar-17 21:49:37

My daughter is two and thinks the perfect hiding place is behind her hands.

My son has a gap down half the side of his bed which he can just about squish into. He disappears in there quite often!

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 06-Mar-17 21:58:33

DS (3) hides things inside the sofa. If he pushes things all the way back under the cushions, they drop through the back and into the sofa's innards. And because it is all sealed up I can't get anything out - unless I up-end the sofa and rip away the bottom which I'm not doing because there might be spiders in there. I know a playmobil dog is in there. Goodness knows what else.

I would add that my DM is renowned for putting things in 'safe places' never to be seen again.

sum1killthepawpatrollers Mon 06-Mar-17 22:19:54

we kept finding dd2 in the rabbit hutch with the giant rabbit! we would take her out, turn round and the bugger would be back in there, even shared her tea with cuddles

Hopezibah Mon 06-Mar-17 22:28:34

My son used to stuff his dirty socks down the edge of his chest of drawers for ages to 'hide' them instead of putting them in the wash. He also had the nickname of 'magpie' when he was about 3 or 4 because we used to find lots of odd interesting objects - bottle tops, odd earings, pebbles etc- in his PANTS DRAWER!!!

Same son used to always hide behind his curtains for hide and seek - then get so excited that he would pee on the floor - everytime!!!

my own best hiding place for hide and seek is in the shower - the kids never seem to think of looking there. 5 mins peace and quiet!

boptanana Tue 07-Mar-17 09:29:31

My dd loves to post things in the handle gaps of the linen basket. I have found all sorts of treasures in there and have to be careful not to put things on the machine!!

NudeDude Tue 07-Mar-17 09:32:19

My DS used to hide in the washing basket with his feet poking out (see pic), but his new favourite thing is to stand in front of me with the tiniest piece of paper in front of his face (think stamp size) whilst I have to walk around the whole house saying "hmm where could he be I just have no idea" 🙈

voyager50 Tue 07-Mar-17 09:53:11

He likes to collect and hoard things like old bird feathers, conkers, big leaves and twigs and I often find them hidden behind books on his shelves as he knows I don't like him keeping all these things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now