Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your pre-birth rituals with Fairy Non Bio – chance to win a £300 voucher NOW CLOSED

(211 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Jan-17 16:34:25

Fairy Non Bio is sponsoring the Mumsnet Talk App, and would like you to talk about the pre-birth rituals you had (or have!) with the impending arrival of your little one. Did you wash all of the tiny new baby clothes you’d bought, then carefully fold and hang them? Maybe you manically cleaned the house in preparation or over-eagerly try and toddler proof the house? Perhaps you bulk-made meals so that you could relax once your baby arrived?

Here’s what Fairy Non Bio have to say: “Fairy Non Bio is good for anyone who wants a softer, more sensitive wash (that still leaves clothes clean!). Its gentle formula promises to be kind to both your clothes, and to yours and your new baby’s skin”

So, alongside the Fairy Non Bio sponsorship of the Mumsnet Talk App, they’d like you to talk about the pre-birth rituals you’ve had. If you avidly check out Mumsnet's talk boards, you should download the app for yourself. It's free, and allows you to be part of the conversation wherever you are!

All those who post below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Mummychoochoo3 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:31:28

I got my self a full pedicure just before giving birth to all 3 babies. I liked the first time I saw my feet again to be a pretty sight😊.

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:37:59

I did wash all the little baby grows and loved to see them all hanging to dry. I used to put my head round the door of the new nursery every night too, hardly believing there would be a baby in there soon.

I had a thing about cleaning light switches and skirting boards just before my daughter was born, no idea why, I wasn't really bothered about any other cleaning but for some reason I fixated on light switches!

Summerdays2014 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:11:32

I washed every item of clothing (and bedding) I bought for the baby even all the tiny socks. I still wash everything new now and he's a year old... maybe time to stop?

PunkyBubba Fri 27-Jan-17 18:59:16

For both DC's I washed every item of baby clothes we bought or had been given before they were born, and put them into age order from 0-6 months, then separated them into different drawers. I also washed the new pushchair covers, car seat cover, bedding... In fact everything they would come into contact with.

Now I can't remember the last time their food stained car seats and pushchair cover was washed blush

PenguinRoar Fri 27-Jan-17 19:34:23

I washed and sorted all the second hand clothes I'd been given into sizes and types. It was lovely to see the generosity of friends who had given me so many beautiful things.

I also cleaned everything I could reach...
And for myself, I had foot massages and reflexology treatments it was very relaxing.

asuwere Fri 27-Jan-17 19:44:02

I washed all the nappies a few times before DS1 but that's it, I've never washed any new clothes for any of my DC - straight out the packaging and put them on <slattern>

Singingforsanity Fri 27-Jan-17 20:34:04

I had a massive walk to bring on labour with DS (waters broke that night btw), we walked all around our local area and past the house I grew up in. It's such a lovely memory I hope to do it with the next one too!

leanneth Fri 27-Jan-17 21:13:27

I scrubbed the floors, cleaned the windows andalso cleaned round the windows with a toothbrush! No idea why, I just felt like cleaning. (So out of character for me!)

EvieSparkles0x Fri 27-Jan-17 21:18:20

I set the pram up and pushed it around alot! Also spent a lot of time sorting and re-sorting all her tiny clothes, and packing and repacking my hospital bag! Such a lovely time smile

Vixxfacee Fri 27-Jan-17 21:36:35

Shaved &plucked top to bottom after my waters broke before going to the hospital!

CheeseEMouse Fri 27-Jan-17 21:56:01

I got my hair cut and nails done in the time between finishing work and baby arriving. And batch cooked so there was a load of decent meals in the freezer to have with low effort.

BillyButtfuck Fri 27-Jan-17 22:04:26

I wish I did more, I knew with twins they would probably come early but I just kept putting everything off. Then when I ended up in hospital from 33 weeks (for a month) I was in a total panic.
The one thing I did do was wash all their clothes, twice.
Then I paired them into matching outfits and co-ords. Then washed them again and had to match them all up again and repeat.

I used to cry whilst the washing machine was going because I knew it would take me ages to do again

FeelingSmurfy Fri 27-Jan-17 22:18:05

Definitely cooking, filling the freezer with healthy homemade meals. However, exhausted and hormonal, not to mention eating around a baby, all I wanted was junk food and snacks!

TiredAndRavenous Fri 27-Jan-17 23:43:20

I washed every item of new baby clothes, and iron folded and put it away nicely for the baby. I can honestly say it's never been done like that since (he's now nearly 2!)

My ritual now is: my partner taking me out and eating/doing everything I wanted the day before I was induced, honestly felt like a princess! Hope it's something we will do again

finova Sat 28-Jan-17 01:40:33

I've also washed and sorted the first 6 months worth of clothes and they are hung/stored in a wardrobe. I gaze at them every night!
I like lots of warm baths in the last months, as they can be hard to fit in with a newborn.

Would like a meal out with DH.
Hoping to fit in a cinema trip with the kids too, as won't take a tiny baby to the cinema.

OutandIn Sat 28-Jan-17 05:12:09

I became obsessed with storage boxes! I spend a lot of time heavily pregnant looking for (and buying) the perfect sized box/ baskets as i felt everything needed to have a place.

WheresTheCoffee Sat 28-Jan-17 07:53:38

Washing and folding all the tiny baby onesies, food shopping, sleeping!

EasterRobin Sat 28-Jan-17 08:52:29

I didn't do anything baby-related as was completely knackered after work. But I made sure to go for a little walk every day with my husband to aid my health and circulation... although the distances got shorter and much slower towards the end of pregnancy. More like a waddle to the end of the road and back again.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 28-Jan-17 08:57:44

Ah, I'm another who washed all the first size (mainly white) baby grows then hung them on the line. My neighbour & I stood & looked at them for a good while. I nested madly from about 25 weeks with dc4, I was oddly focused on the shower screen because my newborn would obviously care deeply about it's cleanliness grin. I got up at half 4 the morning he arrived, I was in latent labour, & dusted & once it was 7 o'clock hoovered the house top to bottom. I like to keep the washing basket as low as possible during the last few weeks too. Yes to stocking the freezer & cupboards too. We also made sure the older dc had some new bits, colouring books, works books, stories & small lego sets, to keep them entertained when I was feeding etc.

voyager50 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:23:53

Checking and double checking everything was packed in the hospital bag, checking for roadworks on the route to the hospital and making sure all birthday cards and presents for the next 3 months were bought!

OhHolyFuck Sat 28-Jan-17 10:29:37

Not much pre-birth tbh, thought I'd 'wing it' since I had no idea how it was all going to go anyway
Packed my bag with DS1, and bought a load of towels (homebirth) with ds2, think that was about it...
Oh biscuits! I stocked up on biscuits!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 28-Jan-17 11:11:40

OhHolyFuck I don't think dc2 would ever have accepted his younger siblings had I not made sure there were biscuits in the house wink

purplepandas Sat 28-Jan-17 11:17:23

None as I had DDs early at 29 weeks.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 28-Jan-17 11:40:45

No nesting, no pampering, no fancy nails or lady gardening, just laundry laundry LAUNDRY!
^^
Laundered all the newborn clothes, the muslins and blankets. Each time I went into labour within 24h of everything being folded and put in the wardrobe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now