This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your fav baking or batch cooking recipes with Kenwood: chance to win a KVC5000T Chef Sense (RRP £349.99) NOW CLOSED

(149 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Nov-16 10:49:25

To celebrate the amazing deal from Currys for up to £100 worth of free attachments when a Kenwood Chef is purchased at Currys (for a limited period only) the Kenwood team would love to hear your absolute favourite batch cooking recipes or your favourite baking recipes.

Please share them on this thread and you will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get their very own Kenwood KVC5000T Chef Sense - worth £349.99 grin. Maybe you have an amazingly easy cake to bake you can whip up in half an hour when the MIL is coming round, or you spend a couple of hours creating batch dishes for the whole family each Sunday? Or even an old family recipe from your Grandma which never fails? Please share them here.

Kenwood say "we're thrilled to be able to offer up to £100 worth of free attachments when customers purchase a Kenwood Chef at Currys for a limited period only. Kenwood is the No 1 brand in food preparation, bringing passion and innovation to the kitchen for everyone".

More info on the Kenwood deal here

Thanks
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

sharond101 Tue 22-Nov-16 11:58:09

Our favourite batch cooking we double up and freeze half, cantonese style slow cooker chicken,
Serves 4
4-6 (depending on size) chicken thighs with skin removed
3tbsp hoi sin sauce
2tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 crushed garlic clove
1" fresh peeled and grated ginger
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
6 tbsp water
Put all of the ingredients except the chicken into a saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer for
minute. Put chicken in slow cooker and top with the sauce. Cook for 2 1/2 hours on high (or until
chicken cooked through - breasts take less time) then remove chicken and shred with two forks.
Return to the sauce and cook for a further 30 minutes.

TheFlounder Tue 22-Nov-16 12:13:16

Pancakes are a firm favourite in this house.
1 egg,
1 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk (I never usually need the whole cup)
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of sugar
Whisk it all together, heat some butter in a frying pan and fry the batter for lovely golden fluffy pancakes.

NauticalDisaster Tue 22-Nov-16 12:16:01

My absolute favourite baking recipe is the All Bran Banana Bread recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
225g (11/2 cups) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
110g firmly packed brown sugar
105g All Bran® Original, plus 2 tablespoons extra
55g chopped pitted dried dates
40g walnuts, chopped
2 eggs
80ml sunflower oil
80ml reduced fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large (about 450g) ripe bananas, mashed

1) Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced.

2) Spray a 7cm deep, 10 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf tin with olive oil. Line base and two long sides with a piece of non-stick baking paper.

3) Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the sugar, All-Bran® Original, dates and half the walnuts, stir to combine.

4) Whisk together eggs, oil, milk and vanilla, stir through the mashed banana. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.

5) Spoon into prepared tin, smooth surface with back of a spoon. Sprinkle top with remaining walnuts and extra All-Bran® Original.

6) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

WingMirrorSpider Tue 22-Nov-16 12:19:14

At Christmas every year I make my grandma's lemon and thyme stuffing. Even though she died almost 20 years ago, just the smell of the ingredients as I'm mixing them together transports me back to Christmas Day 35+ years ago. It was always my favourite part of Christmas dinner so she wrote the recipe down for me, although she was a instinctive cook so it was all handfuls of stuff rather than weights.

Couple of handfuls of white breadcrumbs (not too fine - a crunchy texture is what you wAnt)
Roughly half to 3/4 packet of suet
Couple of lemons, zest and juice
Loads of dried thyme (about half a little jar)
Chopped fresh parsley (she didn't specify how much!)
An egg to bind
S&P

Mix everything together, put into a greased dish, cover with foil and bake for half an hour or so. Remove foil for 15 mins to brown.

Looking at the recipe now it looks pretty simple and not particularly appetising, but to me it's not Christmas without grandma's stuffing.

I know the recipe off by heart now but I still have the bit of paper with her spidery writing tucked in my Delia's Complete Cookery.

Nineloves Tue 22-Nov-16 12:24:17

I batch cook loads of things. My current favourites are the BBC Good Food Spaghetti bolognaise, chilli and meatball recipes. I get a glut of mince and blast away for an hour or so.
. If I'm going to whip baking up for a visitor I usually do Brownies or muffins.

Suzywong's Brownie recipe from here once had a friend exclaiming I can't believe you just whipped these up when I just told you I was coming round! Felt compelled to say it was the fab recipe though.

Nineloves Tue 22-Nov-16 12:28:13

Suzywong's Brownie recipe
Ingredients

150 g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
175 g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp drinking chocolate
2 eggs
150 g chocolate
100 g walnuts
100 g plain flour
Method

Set the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. You will need a 7 inch square baking tin, lined with baking parchment.
Melt the butter and the chocolate over a low heat in a small pan and leave to cool slightly.
Beat together in a bowl the eggs, vanilla extract and caster sugar until it looks creamy. Then sift in the flour, drinking chocolate and salt.
Add in the walnuts and the chocolate and butter mixture and mix well with a spatula, but don't beat it. It should be smooth and glossy.
Scrape it into the lined tin and bake it for 20 minutes. Then have a look at it; the top should be pale and cracking slightly, like a dried up muddy puddle, and the body of the mix will still be slightly wobbly. If it isn't like this then leave it in for another 3 minutes.
Leave to cool in the tin and then slice into portions.

It feels wrong putting someone else's recipe up though.

cookiefiend Tue 22-Nov-16 12:31:47

This all in one chocolate cake is SOOO fast- throw everything except the hot coffee in at once basically and mix. Then add the hot coffee (or just boiling water if you prefer) in and stir. The boiling water seems to take care of any lumps that have formed.
I use silicone baking tins so no faffing about with lining them.

1 3/4 cups plain flour
2 cups granulated white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup of buttermilk (or milk with a dash of lemon juice)
1/2 cup of flavourless oil (I ise corn)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of hot coffee

For the icing I whip philidelphia (has to be full fat and for some reason only seems to work with the branded version) and a few table spoons of cocoa and icing sugar to taste and whip it.

Bake the cake at 180 for about 20/25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

mumsbe Tue 22-Nov-16 12:42:56

simple rocky road non bake recipe just mix

digestive biscuit
chocolate
syrup
sugar
cherries
raisins
marshmellows

pop the mix in a tray and put in the fridge simple tastes amazing

Stormwhale Tue 22-Nov-16 13:56:28

Slow cooker rich beef casserole/pie filling.

1 onion
2 carrots
1 stick celery
Peas
Casserole steak
2 beef oxo
Water.

Chuck it all in the slow cooker. Cook for 6 hours on low. Thicken with gravy granules. Job done.

Chewingthecrud Tue 22-Nov-16 14:13:28

Get your kenwood out and fit the shredder blade

Shred an onion, two carrots, 3 sticks celery and some garlic crushed in.

This is the base. Increase in proportion for a batch cooking session.
Fry it in a touch of oil til soft.

Then-
Add cup of lentils and two tins tomatoes and some tom purée, mixed herbs, bit of ground cumin.

Cook til soft and back in the kenwood to blend.

Gorgeous eaten as soup with some cream stirred thru and croutons
or use as pasta bake sauce, pizza topping.

Can also add to browned minced beef as bolongnaise (chilli if add chilli powder and kidney beans) or kids fave is add to browned minced turkey along with a decent spoon of chipotle sauce. Serve in tacos with grated cheese

Base sauce also freezes really well on its own

I make LOADS of it!

HoneyDragon Tue 22-Nov-16 14:18:07

I always have cylinders of this cookie dough in the freezer which defrosts enough to slice and bake in 15 minutes. I usually do a roll of triple choc, and a roll of choc chip and a plain roll to add smarties or sweets to it.

* 125g butter, softened
* 100g light brown soft sugar
* 125g caster sugar
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 225g self-raising flour
* ½ tsp salt

* Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4
* Cream butter and sugars, once creamed, combine in the egg and vanilla.
* Sift in the flour and salt, (then if using chocolate, the chocolate chips if not skip)
* Roll into small balls (whilst trying not to eat all the cookie dough before it goes it the oven, I'm weak, I'm sorry)
* Place on ungreased baking paper (at this point if using smarties or sweets then put 4-5 smarties on each cookie, don't worry if it's tight they'll spread). If you want to have the real American cookies then bake for just 7 minutes, till the cookies are just setting - the cookies will be really chewy and delicious. Otherwise cook for 10 minutes until just golden round the edges.
* Take out of the oven and leave to harden for a minute before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Scoff as soon as they won't burn your mouth.

FRETGNIKCUF Tue 22-Nov-16 14:29:31

I always cook lots off sweet pastry at the same time.

660g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g ground almonds
480g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
210g caster sugar
4 medium eggs

Rub flour and butter, add sugar, almonds, then egg. Freeze or to use later put in fridge for three hours. Perfect for jam tarts, mince pies, apple pies.... everything.

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 22-Nov-16 15:56:14

Easy roast chicken... place in slow cooker (stood on a couple of carrots or potatoes) and cook on low for 6 hours. Carve and eat grin

I put it in at breakfast time and we eat late afternoon. No thought or skill needed.

Easy roast potatoes... throw a bag of salad or baby potatoes in a tray of hot oil, season with salt & pepper, oven cook at 200C for about 40mins.

Leftover chicken goes in an easy pie or I make soup from it. You can freeze leftover cooked chicken so you don't need to eat chicken meals on sequential days!

Gazelda Tue 22-Nov-16 16:02:42

A healthy arabiatta. Serves 4 and another 4 portions to freeze

2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
2 onions
1 clove garlic
Chilli flakes
Jar or passatta
Bag of baby spinach
Bag of grated cheese
Pasta

Slice the peppers and onion. Fry until soft (about 10 mins).
Add garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for 3-4 mins.
Boil pasta for 8 mins. Drain and put aside.
Add passata to veg mix. Heat for 10 mins
Add spinach to veg mix, half the cheese and the pasta.
Mix well, then turn into deep baking dishes.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on both.
Bake one for 20 mins at 200degrees.
Freeze the other.

Really, really tasty, healthy and easy. You can also add whatever other veg you've got lying around - mushrooms, sweetcorn, beans etc.

KP86 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:16:05

My favourite quick recipe in my mixer is three ingredient scones.

3 cups SR flour
1 cup double (pouring) cream
1 cup lemonade (or soda water for savoury)

Turn oven onto 220dC.

Put all ingredients into your mixer and mix using the dough hook until it comes together.

Turn out on a floured bench, pat out to 3ish cm and cut into small circles. Place onto baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes or until slightly browned on top and sounding hollow to tap.

Enjoy with extra thick or clotted cream and plenty of jam! If making the savoury version (also perfect for drop scones in top of a stew), then a herby butter or cream cheese is a perfect topping.

So easy and you can have them done and out of the oven in about 20 mins!

They freeze well too.

TwitterQueen1 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:22:43

When I get a big roast - whether beef, pork or chicken - I always strip the leftover meat and pulse in my mixer (after I've made the shortcrust pastry!).

I then use the meat with peas, carrots etc, and make loads of pasties for the DCs' school lunches.

I make extra pastry so I can also blend sausage meat stripped from the skins. Yes, I know you can buy ready-made sausage rolls, but really, home-made ones with added herbs, or apple, chestnuts etc, are just divine.

And for Christmas stuffings, a mixer makes everything so much easier!

asuwere Tue 22-Nov-16 17:24:03

I like to make scones, recipe from my gran:
8oz flour, 1oz sugar, 3oz marg. Then milk to mix. I add raisins or cherries or cheese, depending on what we fancy.
They are lovely warm as a little snack, or cut in half with jam and squirty cream for a quick but nice pudding!

WuTangFlan Tue 22-Nov-16 19:29:04

I have coveted a Kenwood for years... purely as my mum had one and I have fond memories of baking with her. My "tried and tested" recipe is for breakfast muffins... chuck in some oats and some self raising flour in roughly equal proportions. Grate a carrot in. Chuck some raisins in, one beaten egg, a tablespoon of olive oil, and enough milk to get a firm batter: a couple of sloshes. Zest of one orange, seed mix/chopped nuts and a bit of cinnamon optional. Sugar optional. Spoon into muffin cases and cook at 180 degrees for around 20 mins. If feeling fancy, add a dollop of chocolate spread in the middle of the muffins when spooning into cases for a gooey middle. Best eaten warm.

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 22-Nov-16 19:41:28

So many good ideas on this thread. I would love to be better at batch cooking. My humble offerings include making lots of dough for pizza and freezing some for next time; and cooking large quantities of minced beef then using it to make chilli, lasagna, bolognaise and cottage pie, freezing several of the dishes for the following week so every night isn't minced beef for dinner.

FlukeSkyeRunner Tue 22-Nov-16 19:51:01

I batch cook all the time - lasagne, curry, soups, cottage pies, shortcrust pies etc etc.

My favourite at the moment is split pea and ham soup, made with the stock from slow cooking a gammon joint. I use this recipe:

www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup/

I use 200g of the slow cooked gammon from the previous day, rather than a bone.

Dogolphin Tue 22-Nov-16 19:56:39

Winter Soup: The base is made up of tinned tomatoes and loads of large flat mushrooms (not the small, has to be the meaty large ones) and red peppers. I season with mixed herbs, paprika, salt and pepper (or whatever I fancy from the cupboard). Slowly cook then blend. I also add beef stock (or cubes). Add lentils and cannelloni beans. I use a slow cooker.

Quills Tue 22-Nov-16 19:57:11

I love batch cooking. My family's favourite is my chicken pie filling, which I freeze for when we need it either in a big pie, or on its own with mash and peas. A real winter warmer!

Fry off 4 chicken breasts, 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic and either mushrooms/leeks, depending on preference.
When meat is cooked through, add 300ml single cream and 300ml chicken stock. Simmer, season with salt, pepper and tarragon to taste.
When the sauce is up to temperature, thicken with cornflour.

DoItTooJulia Tue 22-Nov-16 20:20:01

I am currently batchcooking silky smooth, restaurant grade (hopefully) purées of single vegetables at the minute because my mum is having trouble eating. Which would be made much easier with a bit of kit like this!

But my favourite thing to at h cook is makhani curry sauce.

*Fry onions until soft and golden in ghee.
*add chopped garlic and fresh at the last minute to soften
* add passata and some water and summer
*add spices (ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder, garam masala and cinnamon)
*add ground nuts (cashews are delicious here)
*add dedicated coconut and a spoon of sugar
*add a splash of water and summer for another 5 minutes
*finish with a dollop of natural yoghurt and cream stirred through.

Yum Yum No Pigs Bum.

ThunderboltKid Tue 22-Nov-16 20:44:10

I batch cook loads, but one of my favourites to batch cook is lemon drizzle cake!

I make half a dozen at a go and freeze them, then I always have a cake to take round for someone on a play date, as well as having emergency cake in the freezer.

This is a recipe for one, I multiply it as needed:

4oz marge
6oz SR Flour
6oz Caster Sugar
4 tbsp milk
2 large eggs
1 lemon zest grated

Sift flour, add other ingredients. Beat for 3 minutes. (I actually never even bother sifting the flour, but it's probably worth it.) Bake for 45 minutes at 160C in 6-7" deep tin. (I use a loaf tin, but it works in a small/medium circular one too.) Warm 3 tbsp caster sugar with 3 tbsp lemon juice to make a glaze, and pour over warm cake. Consume with great pleasure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now