Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Watch McDonald’s new video about Chicken McNuggets and share your opinions - £300 Love2Shop voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(203 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Dec-15 09:32:25

As part of their Good To Know campaign, McDonald’s have released three new videos to give a little bit more information on the ingredients they use in their products, and they’re keen to hear what Mumsnetters think. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be running threads about different McDonald’s foods.

McDonald’s say “We’ve launched our Good To Know campaign to provide our customers with more information on the quality of the ingredients we use in our products. Despite some common misconceptions, our Chicken McNuggets contain 100% chicken breast meat, fries are made from real, whole British spuds and 100% beef from whole cuts of forequarter and flank goes into a McDonald’s burger. Alongside the Good To Know website, we’re launching the three new videos you’ll see in Mumsnet threads over the next few weeks, and we’re really interested to hear your thoughts”

Please watch the 40 second video below:

Once you’ve watched the video please let us know:

- What did you think of the overall message in the video?
- Did it change your perceptions of Chicken McNuggets at all? If so, how?
- If you're not a current McDonald's visitor, having watched the video, do you think you'd now consider visiting McDonald's or visiting with your children?
- Would you be interested in visiting the McDonald’s Good To Know website to find out more information?

Whatever your thoughts, McDonald’s would love to hear about them.

Everyone who adds a comment will be entered in to a prize draw, where one winner will receive a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks & good luck,

MNHQ

EatShitDerek Wed 02-Dec-15 09:39:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vajazzler Wed 02-Dec-15 11:17:44

I love chicken McNuggets. I could easily eat a 20 box all to myself! I liked the video but it could have been more factual and informative.

WingMirrorSpider Wed 02-Dec-15 11:27:25

I like McDonalds too. It's a nice treat once in a while when I can't be bothered to cook.

My kids both enjoy chicken nuggets. The video is good, but didn't change my views as I already knew they weren't made from crap any more

I think McDonalds have had a bit of a bad rap in the past but have made efforts in recent years to combat this. I think the message is getting through (with me anyway).

I'll have a look at the website.

Seeyounearertime Wed 02-Dec-15 11:33:06

It's a good message. I've had the whole "McDonald's is Satan's food" from members of my family when they heard we'd taken DD for nuggets. I'd hope that this would spark them to actually find out what they're talking about.

Not really, I've always been of the opinion that if McDonald's was the awfilmfood people makenoitnthe they'd have been found out and closed many years ago. Theyre such a massive company they must be doing something right.

- If you're not a current McDonald's visitor, having watched the video, do you think you'd now consider visiting McDonald's or visiting with your children?
I love McDonald's but I wouldn't take my 2.6yo any more often than a couple times a years as a treat.

- Would you be interested in visiting the McDonald’s Good To Know website to find out more information?
Been there many times. grin

Added thoughts:
Once upon a time, McDonald's and fast food were a treat, irregular and for special occasions. Now they seem to be a viable option for meals through the week. Over indulgence in anything I bad for you so it shouldn't be a surprise that having McDonald's often is bad.

namechangingagainagain Wed 02-Dec-15 12:14:20

It doesn't actually say it is 100% breast meat though does it....just that the food tech woman knows what it looks and tastes like? ( or did I miss that bit?)
Some more information... where the chicken comes from/ conditions and factual stuff would be good.
It didn't change my mind as it didn't really give any additional information. How about doing all happy meal chips without salt added on ( I know you can ask for without salt added but I often forget) or water/milk in a sports bottle (easier t drink from for small people than the milk/ water you currently have) ? That might convince me its a healthy option rather than" chicken nuggets are (now) made from 100% breast meat

I don't mind macdonalds at all.......I'm rather partial to a big tasty myself..... children will eat there a couple of times a year- normally in the car when we're going somewhere.

Purplehonesty Wed 02-Dec-15 12:15:34

I think the video could have been more informative but it's good to get the message across.

I've always taken my kids as a treat and they usually have nuggets as I knew already they were 100% chicken breast. I like them too!

We don't go that often tho, maybe once every couple of months

asuwere Wed 02-Dec-15 12:53:08

I already knew that the nuggets were OK. The ad is OK but wasn't really full of information, think it could have been clearer as to what is in the nuggets-more details in the rumours than the truth and I think the images that stay in my mind are from the rumour bit.
I do agree with other posters, nothing particularly wrong with McDonalds, it is just food but has to be treated as an occasional treat rather than regular meal.

Catsgowoof Wed 02-Dec-15 13:24:42

It's clever, I'm vegetarian so would nt touch them anyway. I notice there's no mention of now the chickens are treated,free range? I don't think MacDonald's is evil but veggie options are shit so only go as last resort

TheSkiingGardener Wed 02-Dec-15 13:32:00

I knew nuggets were made from breast meat and am quite happy to take my kids there from time to time. I hated the video though. It felt patronising and simplistic and I didn't like the style at all.

I won't be visiting the website because I'm quite happy for my kids to have occasional fast food. No matter what they are made of the chips are still fried so it's occasional food.

I'd prefer the facts stated simply without the video style you've put round them which feels like it's telling me what I should do and what I should decide

ouryve Wed 02-Dec-15 13:33:38

Even if it is 100% chicken breast meat, that doesn't tell us what is done to that meat and doesn't tell us how that chicken was reared.

And why the obsession with breast meat? Chicken thighs are far tastier. The boys love chicken thighs but often pull this face at breast meat.hmm

It doesn't make me more likely to visit. Burger King's fish sandwiches are infinitely nicer than Filet o'fish in a weird sugary bun.

CheeseEMouse Wed 02-Dec-15 13:34:30

The ad is ok as far as it goes. But it's never going to be the healthy option really. I'd also be interested in what are the nuggets coated in, how much fat is there from frying them and as catsgowoof says are the chickens free range?

I haven't yet taken my toddler to a McDonald's, but I do have fond memories of going as a child when my grandparents took us and they each nursed a coffee whilst we had a happy meal. As a rare treat it is ok.

RatOnnaStick Wed 02-Dec-15 13:38:33

I've just watched the video while sat in BK eating a bacon double cheeseburger blush. The video didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Its a bit light on actual facts about the make up of the nuggets, just what the old rumours say.

The children like a happy meal with nuggets, chips and milk every now and then. I do agree about having better bottles for the milk, I have to stab a hole in the seal with my car key and poke a straw in there now otherwise it ends up all over the toddler. Anyway...

I'm not likely to visit the website because I just don't care that much. They only have it every now and then.

elvisthehamster Wed 02-Dec-15 16:34:46

I like the adverts (have seen the burger ones recently too) -I think they probably are needed as there is so much stuff out there about all the rubbish that is in nuggets and Mac D's burgers etc. I guess it is a bit more reassuring -Obviously we know Mac D's isn't the healthiest option for kids but as a treat or party food I am more comfortable knowing that it is 'proper' meet in the meals.

We do buy our children food from MacDonalds but just occasionally as a treat so the advert probably hasn't changed my habits as a customer but has put to rest any lingering doubts.

StickChildNumberTwo Wed 02-Dec-15 16:45:43

I haven't eaten in McDonalds in years and my kids haven't yet discovered it so I've not had the dilemma in the video. I don't think I've ever entirely believed the rumours about what goes into the food, so it's not changed my views really. It's still not somewhere I'll be rushing to as I'm not particularly keen on the food, but I won't be banning my kids when they decide they like it. Can't see me looking at the website as it's just not an issue for me.

FlopIsMyChristmasGuru Wed 02-Dec-15 18:16:57

I don't have a problem with McDonald's, the kids love it. I just wish it was easier to get them chips without salt on

CopperPan Wed 02-Dec-15 18:31:42

I thought the ad was OK and a good effort to provide information to the public.
I'm not too negative towards McNuggets so not really. I will eat McDonalds occasionally and I think it's not too unhealthy in moderation.

I'm an occasional McDonald's visitor, it doesn't encourage me to visit more often but doesn't put me off either.

I'm not really that interested enough, and there's enough websites to keep me busy without adding another.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 02-Dec-15 18:56:37

I would of liked more information on the chicken and not just what it tastes or looks like.

There is a fair few rumours and urban myths about macdonalds (like you can say it's 100% beef as you named the food supplier 100%) I would like these rumours quashed and to be able to trust macdonalds.

I already visit macdonalds quite a lot. My dc finish school at quarter past 4 and go straight to an activity for 5 till 7. A jam sandwich doesn't cut it after such a busy day and macdonalds is quick and clean.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 02-Dec-15 19:37:47

Dd has McDonald's about once a month as a treat.

It's nice to know that the food is not reconstituted. That sets my mind at ease a bit.

We will probably continue with our once a month treat.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 02-Dec-15 19:38:58

Oh and I won't be spending time on a McDonald's website.
I'd maybe read something about them on here passively but I wouldn't actively seek information about McDonald's.

Vap0 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:28:38

Good, makes it clear that there aren't feet and beaks in the nuggets. I'll be having a look on your other videos to see what is in the burgers as am pretty scared about eating them due to the horror stories you read, oh, and the calories.

Yes, I love your nuggets (probably have a happy meal about once a week) but always thought they were packed full of nasties so I feel better for knowing it is actual meat in there now. I don't think it always used to be like that did it?

Maiyakat Wed 02-Dec-15 21:36:55

To be honest I found the tone of the advert a bit patronising

Not really, I would have been happy to buy them anyway as thought the quality of the meat was reasonable (for fast food!)

N/A as we do go to McDonalds occasionally

Not really!

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 02-Dec-15 22:21:30

It's reassuring, especially for people who still believe the nuggets are made from feet, beaks, brains etc.
I had already read they were made from chicken breast so nothing has changed. If they were Red Tractor or even better, free rnage, I'd be really happy!
- If you're not a current McDonald's visitor, having watched the video, do you think you'd now consider visiting McDonald's or visiting with your children? My kids love MacDonald's but it is a rare treat rather than a regular meal choice. I prefer Burger King purely because their veggie option is tastier, although MacDonald's do better coffee.
- Would you be interested in visiting the McDonald’s Good To Know website to find out more information? Yes, I am interested in salt levels and ther additives.

voyager50 Wed 02-Dec-15 23:38:07

I'm also vegetarian and I don't like Macdonald's treatment of animals and rainforests.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 03-Dec-15 10:46:25

Very 'innocent smoothies' in terms of friendly chatty tone- I think they're trying very hard to tell us their food isn't as bad as people make out.

A little, because I hoped chicken nuggets were made from breast meat- but now I know for sure. However- I'd want to know how the chickens were kept and what they were fed on.

I do visit McDonalds but I would absolutely go more if I knew the chickens were free range and organic.

No, I'm too lazy to do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now