Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your top tips on turning your children's bedroom into an enchanted space with Valspar and you could win a £300 Love2Shop voucher NOW CLOSED

(225 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Nov-15 12:38:12

Inspired by the new PAN movie, Valspar has created the PAN Palette - a selection of colours which can bring the magic of Neverland to life in your home. Valspar are keen to hear Mumsnetters' top tips for creating a magical themed bedroom for your children.

Valspar says: "A child's bedroom is somewhere they can let their imagination run wild and decorating their space with a magical theme can help fuel their creativity further. The PAN Palette is filled with enchanting colours from the film so allow your child to be inspired by the pink of the fearless warrior, the red of the pirate that all pirates fear and the teal of the mermaid's lagoon. The best thing is that no matter how messy play time gets, Valspar paint contains a super scrub formula which allows walls to be wiped down and scrubbed clean without chipping or compromising the colour."

So, how would you create an enchanted bedroom for your child? Would you paint the night sky on the ceiling? Perhaps you would turn the walls into a chalkboard or add a touch of sparkle with paint glitter? Or maybe you would upcycle furniture to give it a magical new look? Perhaps you've already done it, in which case we'd love to see your pictures too.

Whatever the theme, Valspar would love to hear your tips!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

AGrinWithoutACat Wed 04-Nov-15 12:54:07

We haven't completed properly started yet but the plan is relatively neutral walls and then accessorise lots so for DDs pirate theme bedroom have found battery operated oil look lanterns, pirate flags for curtains, large picture wall paper of a nights sky and various small accessories (am still looking for an economical small whisky barrel for a bedside table)

This should mean when pirates fall out of favour next year it will be easier to change to the next in thing smile

DS is harder but the colours are iron man and we are accessorising with wall stickers/ window stickers/ cushions etc

DD2 is going to have a rainbow themed room but as she isn't 1 yet it's next years project smile

The hall way ceiling is being painted with glitter paint and covered in glow-in-the-dark stars just for me grin

MumOnTheRunAgain Wed 04-Nov-15 16:34:22

Wall stickers are great..... Grab a load of the valspar tester pots, which are huge for testers!! And 'colour in' the wall sticker in the gaps! Looks v effective

A chimney breast wall or a part of a normal wall, can be frog taped off and chalkboard paint will transform it for children to create their own art

Teladi Wed 04-Nov-15 16:34:38

We're planning to move DD to a bigger bedroom when she grows out of her toddler bed. Haven't decided what exactly to do with her new room but I want her to have a comfy and cosy space for looking at books, which she really likes. We probably won't repaint the bedroom but like AGrin above will buy her some new bedroom decor items... I'm not sure there's going to be a theme, just 'kid bedroom' theme grin

baffledmummy Wed 04-Nov-15 17:52:17

We created a garden theme in the nursery...think different types of flowers, birds, butterflies and a lovely big tree (using stencils...my art skills do not extend beyond colouring in!). DD is quite entranced with all the bright colours and is particularly fond of the bumble bee which she can't stop staring at and smiling...it's the first thing she goes for!

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Nov-15 18:26:26

I just let ds(9) choose his new bedroom paint colour and accessories. He took this very seriously, spending a long time studying the paint brochures, then we bought samples of his choices and he painted patches before doing larger areas of the top two.
He then chose a pierced metal lampshade which makes patterns of lights on the light gold walls.

He loves it, and its ended up a massively relaxing, cosy space. Just what a bedroom should be!

CopperPan Wed 04-Nov-15 19:38:34

I've painted a beautiful blue sky on DD's ceiling and hung various things from it that I've picked up in different shops - a plane light fitting, a balloon, some birds and a helicoptor. We're still picking things up in shops when we see them and add them to the collection!

EDisFunny Wed 04-Nov-15 19:42:35

I picked a lovely, relaxing blue for the walls, I have hung fairy lights to keep it from being too dark for them, & I buy the peel on/off stickers so they can decorate the walks and furniture how they want.

flamingtoaster Wed 04-Nov-15 20:13:54

DS was into astronomy and aeroplanes from an early age so there are a lot of planes hanging from his ceiling - DH and he built them from kits. We found lots of interesting posters for the walls and I embroidered a comet on a plain navy quilt.

Pixi2 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:21:48

Involve them in the decision making. Ds chose a blue and orange room. He wanted a sport themed room with a nod to star wars and a Peter Pan inspired reading nook. We've separated the reading nook by creating a tent hanging from his bookshelves and found some lantern shaped fairy lights to hang up in there. We've created a blackboard in there and drawn map of neverland, painted an enormous clock face so he feels as though he is in from of Big Ben and painted his favourite rule on the wall 'never grow up'. The sports bedroom was done by creating stripes around the room. The nod to star wars was done with a wall sticker of a spaceship window with planets in view and a wall vinyl in star wars lettering that reads 'minipixi2 #1'.
Dd now wants a hot pink, purple and black room. That's taking some translating into a workable bedroom. I'm going with silver wallpaper with black & purple butterflies on one wall, pale purple walls and hot pink bookshelves with a hot pink and (blackboard paint) black painted furniture. All the dc's furniture comes from charity shops for the very purpose it can be sanded down and painted and I don't really mind experimenting on it.

Artfooldodger Wed 04-Nov-15 20:30:41

We did our sons room with Valspar as we could match the colour exactly. He's got a world atlas map on the sloping wall above his bed with matching blue walls. Also a contrast wall in dark blue around the window - all his choice & not bad (we think!) for a 7 year old. We love it too!!

We use the map to talk about where we live, places we have visited, where friends are and time zones. We've used it with a globe to explain how the earth moves around the sun, seasons, day & night, etc. Oh, and we found Darkest Peru where Paddington came from too!!!

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 04-Nov-15 20:32:45

A night sky with glow in the dark stars is as effective now as it was when I had one in the 1980s and fairy lights add enchantment to any room.

lindsey077 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:45:13

Our daughters room is painted off white but on one wall we have used acrylics to paint a 6ft fantasy style tree with owls, birds and insects hidden round it. To tie in the rest of the room we have dotted around a few bumble bees and toadstools/flowers. The paintings are embellished with super fine glitter and some iridescent sequins.

BeeMyBaby Wed 04-Nov-15 20:57:04

We prefer to have a single wall with a theme to match the curtains, and then to basically plaster all the other white space with the DDs pictures. There is nothing more 'magical' than the children getting to see their art on the wall and for them to feel as if I appreciate it.

Cocacolaandchocolate Wed 04-Nov-15 21:52:00

Our girls room is owl and flower roses theme. They both have a walk each with has stickers on.

My dream for our sons room, is to have achalk wall for him... He is maths crazy, and moves to secondary next year so it could be very useful

purplepandas Wed 04-Nov-15 21:56:21

I would love an under the sea theme personally. I am not very artistic so really struggle to come up with ideas and certainly to execute them. I think that would be fab though.

FeelingSmurfy Wed 04-Nov-15 23:02:32

I think it's really good just to paint the room and then use wall stickers to personalise it, it creates a cool bedroom but its easy (and a lot cheaper) to change as they get older and tastes change

Also, a new duvet cover can make a big difference to a room!

Prettyinblue Thu 05-Nov-15 07:19:42

As neither of us are very artistic we did with very simple design: two o colours on the walls, and two large colourful pictures. We all really like it

InMySpareTime Thu 05-Nov-15 07:27:46

I used voile wall hangings to liven up DD's purple-painted room, one of the wall hangings hides an alcove that I made into a book nook.
She loves hiding in there for a sneaky late night read!
Next time we decorate her room, she wants a forest, so I need to brush up on my artistic talent. That's a tall order...

Catsgowoof Thu 05-Nov-15 10:51:52

sky blue ceiling and above picture rail, with clouds and planes, hot air balloms and birds hanging

Purplehonesty Thu 05-Nov-15 11:38:50

I've made a nautical/beach theme room for my kids as we live near the sea and we love the beach.
They are 3 and six (dd and ds) and share a room, even tho we have spare rooms they won't be parted.
So I needed something that suited boy and girl and went for red white and blue.
I painted the back wall sky blue (the rest are white) with clouds, they have white bedding with striped bedspreads with cushions on each - a lighthouse and a boat.
On the walls I have some flying seagulls, a life buoy (eBay from China) and wee decorations such as a seahouse, some more seagulls in the window and wicker fish hanging from the curtain pole.
I got striped curtains from dunelm and bought rope tie backs from eBay.
My Best Buy was ordering six beach theme postcards and putting them in a white multi frame from home bargains.
Finally they have a lighthouse lamp light on the bedside table and some red white and blue bunting.
It looks so cute and by shopping on eBay and buying second hand it cost about £120 all in!
I'm still looking for some alternative bedding to white as I fear it may not stay that colour long....!

Maddaddam Thu 05-Nov-15 12:38:17

DP turned an old built in wardrobe into a set of bunk beds in an alcove, that's been a lot of fun for the dc.

Also, we hung curtains across corners of the bedrooms to make tents and put cushions in for ready-made dens.

Get DC old furniture from car boot sales and let them paint it their own way. And then repaint when they change their tastes.

CheeseEMouse Thu 05-Nov-15 13:47:55

We have some bunting on the wall of my daughter's room which is really fun. Also for her first Christmas we got her a picture for the wall (a really lovely print by a local artist) that is hers and will be a fun thing to keep as she grows older. We also managed to get a bit of offcut carpet for her room - I don't think I had realised how much mess babies make. So that will be inexpensive to replace when we need to do so.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 05-Nov-15 16:08:11

We are just about to redecorate DD's room. It is currently Dora The Explorer themed.

We have some lovely sky blue curtains and a green rug that looks like grass.

She has her little 'Dora Den' under her cabin bed which we made curtains for and all of her storage has little pictures of her favourite characters from the show on it.

She is now nearly 6 and wants a more grown up bedroom but with Frozen, so we're going to use the Frozen palette and get inventive with glitter paint, nordic style throws and faux reindeer fur rugs.

Maiyakat Thu 05-Nov-15 21:00:06

I would love to paint a mural on DD's bedroom wall - an enchanted fairy garden theme. Sadly I have not artistic talent so she has wall stickers instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now