Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Listen to the Dobbies Christmas podcast narrated by Bernard Cribbins & get creative with your own tale - you could win a £250 voucher NOW CLOSED

(33 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Oct-15 13:21:05

Last Christmas, Dobbies Garden Centres introduced the world to Dobbie, Santa’s tenth reindeer.

"Dobbie is a kind, fun-loving reindeer, who’s crazy about Christmas and making the festive season special for everyone. Last Christmas, with the help of the master storyteller, Bernard Cribbins, we saw her embark on a journey spreading festive magic wherever she went, before finally making her way home to Santa and the other reindeer. This year, Mr Cribbins returns to narrate five stories, telling the tales of a variety of cuddly creatures, including Robbie the robin, Fluffi the penguin, Freddie the arctic fox, Paula the polar bear and Santa himself - and how Dobbie made Christmas extra special for each of them. These stories will be released sequentially in the run up to Christmas, and will be available to download as podcasts".

Please download and *snuggle up with your little one and listen to the podcasts here*

Or an iTunes download is available here

To be entered into a prize draw where one winner will win a £250 gift card from Dobbies, good for toys, gifts and more…please share on this thread, your submission on one of the below:

~ your continuation of the podcast after listening to it - what do you think happens next to Dobbie and her friends?

~ OR having listened to the podcast - add to this thread your very own Dobbie the reindeer Christmassy story or a new story involving any of Dobbies friends - Robbie, Fluffi, Freddie, Paula or even Santa or your own twist on the podcast.

Look forward to hearing your creative ideas!

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

Standard insight T&Cs apply.
NB: The recipient can use the gift card to shop in any of the Dobbies stores and restaurants (except Kinross restaurant and in-store concessions), up to the value that is placed on the card. If there isn't enough credit on the card, the recipient simply pays the difference at the checkout. If the full value isn't spent in one transaction, it can be kept on the card and used on a future visit. It can also be topped up as a convenient way to save for a special purchase. Dobbies gift cards remain valid for 24 months after the last activity, which includes making a balance enquiry. Gift Cards can't currently be used online, but Dobbies hope to have this service available very soon.

Generation1979 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:46:29

Link not working?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Nov-15 11:25:29

Generation1979 - it should do, what device/ browser are you using?

purplepandas Wed 11-Nov-15 11:50:41

DD says that Robbie and Dobbie help in some sort of sleigh disaster with a missing present. E.g. they help to find the last present that has not been delivered on Christmas Eve.

sharond101 Wed 11-Nov-15 18:45:14

Robbie and Dobbie settle down for some tea and Chrstmas pudding before SAnta called for Dobbie to come and help with the Christmas deliveries.

DuckDuckMongoose Thu 12-Nov-15 13:41:22

Loved that story - Bernard Cribbins has the best story reading voice smile

My story idea is...

Dobbie realises that he hasn't seen his friends much and is missing them! He decides to make mincepies and gets his friends involved by getting each of them to stir the mixture and make a wish. That way he gets to see each of them.

Once he gets home he puts the mince pies in the oven and wonders whether his wish will come true.

Just then there is a knock at the door and all his friends are there. His wish did come true - he gets to spend more time will all his friends.

He then finds out that they all wished for the same thing! star

Is it too early for a mince pie?!

SuperDadio Thu 12-Nov-15 17:26:51

Dobbie and Robbie save Christmas by helping santa when his sleigh breaks down and delivers all of the presents.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 12-Nov-15 23:39:34

Oh this is nice. I'll do it with DD at the weekend [christmasgrin]

Lets get the Festive emoticons out eh HQ?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Nov-15 09:54:17

TrollTheRespawnJeremy - fgrin fsmile

Hopezibah Fri 13-Nov-15 22:47:21

~ your continuation of the podcast after listening to it - what do you think happens next to Dobbie and her friends?

my son's idea is that they all play games together and they learn a lesson about being kind and sharing.

~ OR your very own Dobbie the reindeer Christmassy story/ twist on the podcast

my son's idea is that they see a shooting star and make a christmas wish that comes true.

KittyKat88 Fri 13-Nov-15 22:59:57

Ah, it's a lovely story and so well narrated! Bernard Cribbins is a legend grin. I think that what happens after is that the very next night a bright star appears in the sky, and Robbie and Dobbie decide to follow it - the star takes them on a grand adventure to see how Christmas is celebrated across the world. On their adventures they meet and make friends with lots of other animals who love Christmas too! santa

WarmHugs Sat 14-Nov-15 10:26:21

My 6yo loved the idea, and came up with her own continuation:

Robbie and Dobbie started to have a snowball fight. Dobbie picked up a magical snowball and it magicked them on a real magic adventure. There was firey snowballs and they melted all the snow. They heard a voice. It was a fairy. She shouted "help, I'm stuck". Dobbie and Robbie pulled her from the giant tarantulas web. The fairy was so happy that she magicked them all back home. And they had hot chocolate and biscuits.

flamingtoaster Sat 14-Nov-15 16:24:24

Fluffi the penguin has a terrible cold and sneezes so hard she looses a lot of feathers. She is feeling the cold so much she is shivering (which is unusual and somewhat depressing for a penguin). Robbie, Freddie, Paula and Dobbie want to help her and decide that when they preen/groom they will save the feathers and hair and try and make a coat for Fluffi. They are having a lot of difficulty and don't really think superglue is the answer. Dobbie saves the day when he fetches a spinning wheel and loom made by Santa's elves.

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 14-Nov-15 19:29:57

Robbie the Robin and Dobbie the reindeer were best friends who both loved Christmas. On Christmas Eve they were just hanging up their stockings when the phone rang. It was Santa! Rudolph was poorly and couldn't lead the sleigh. Santa asked Dobbie if he could help and Dobbie said yes, if he could bring his best friend Robbie along too.

So that Christmas Eve, anyone who was lucky enough to spot Santa's sleigh flying past may have noticed that instead of a red glowing nose, the lead reindeer had a small and very happy robin redbreast balanced on the end of his nose.

HarlequinandColumbine Sun 15-Nov-15 23:52:41

Written by me and my 12 and 6 year old
Robbie and Dobbie set out on a frosty path through the woods. The morning Sky was pink and spiderwebs glittered. "What's that snuffling truffling sound?" said Robbie. The two friends looked down to see a spiky hedgehog. "Hello I'm Bernard I'm just off to bed " "off to bed!" Said Dobbie "but it's morning"! "That's because hedgehogs only come out at night silly" said Robbie "yes that's right you won't believe the things I see at night time" chuckled Bernard.
"Last night I saw some dancing angels and some sugar plum fairy's and elves all here in these woods" !
Robbie and Dobbie were amazed and also hedgehog to point them in the right direction so that they could see for themselves.
Off they went in the direction that Bernard had showed them until they found a very large Christmas tree right in the middle of the woods. The tree was decorated with dancing angels sugarplum fairy's and little house's for Christmas tree decorations.
As it got later and the sky got dark nights be going to twinkle all over the tree. "that's funny" said Robbie " I don't remember there being Christmas lights"? The friends made a cosy fire to keep warm and soon along came Bernard to keep them company. "Have you seen the else yet" ? Asked Bernard. "oh no they are just Christmas Day tree decorations they are not real" said Dobbie. But dobby was wrong. As it began to get darker and darker little lights appeared in the windows of the little house decorations on the tree. King closer they could see little faces looking out the windows and soon a door opened on one of the houses and out popped a little elf. No sooner had this happened that the angels came to life and be kind to dance at the same time the sugarplum fairies span around and around to some glorious Christmas music! They clapped and cheered and could not believe the wonderful sight.
The friends would never forget the secret Christmas tree they found in the woods I wonder what sites you can see looking out of your window at night at Christmas time ?

Catsgowoof Tue 17-Nov-15 09:38:35

some little animals get caight in a snow drift and dobbie helps get them free

TattieHowkerz Tue 17-Nov-15 15:58:14

Dobbie, Robbie and the others club together to buy Santa a heated seat for the sleigh and a tartan travel blanket to keep his knees warm.

Lovely having Bernard Cribbins narrating. Takes me back to my childhood, and DD loves him too.

peronel Tue 17-Nov-15 18:35:10

Dobbie takes Ollie the Snowy Owl on a sleigh ride to see Hedwig. They have amazing adventures and lots of (extremely cute) owl babies. "Think I'll write a book" said Ollie, wisely.

ema3 Tue 17-Nov-15 21:21:09

Robbie and Dobbie find a tiny envelope containing a message from The sugar plum fairy,saying could they help her find the 'Secret key to Christmas' that has gone missing!! Dobbie say's "we must help Father Christmas,Robbie." so off they went out into the cold blustery night,wrapped up warm with gloves on their antlers and scarves around their necks. They followed the tiny sprawled map on the Sugar Plum Fairy's note,into the dark woods,with only a little lamp to light their way. The snow was deep and oh so cold. They came to a gathering and found the strange shaped tree,they ad been looking so hard for. And yes,there,as the note read,was a piece of purple cloth,blowing gently in the wind. Robbie reached down and lifted the cloth while Dobbie held the lamp close. There was a tunnel!! It was rather small and very dark. They both sighed. They wanted to help find the Key to Christmas,but both knew each other was scared of the dark and especially scared of tunnels. What should they do next.......?!!

GetKnitted Tue 17-Nov-15 22:23:41

My internet is rubbish tonight and it wouldn't load the podcast sad boo!

How about this special thematic edition:

Dobbie's internet was running very slow, so he rang up VirginMedia OurLadysNewsOutlet to find out what the problem was. They said they didn't have a problem with the internet service to the North Pole. Dobbie went round to Fluffi's house. Fluffi was with BT NPT. His internet wasn't working either. Dobbie went to Santa's house to ask him very nicely if he would please give him internets for Christmas. Santa doesn't exist wasn't home, but Mrs Claus gave him a carrot instead. Dobbie likes carrots they are much better than fluffy kitten memes anyway.

Booker shortlisted grinsanta

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Nov-15 11:51:23

Love the stories so far: do keep them coming!

EatingMyWords Sat 21-Nov-15 13:40:40

Have you got a subtitled version or transcript anywhere? Otherwise I'll have a listen later when there's less noise in the house!

sjonlegs Sat 21-Nov-15 20:18:08

We're suddenly feeling terribly Chrismassy - yikes!

What super stories ... and isn't Bernard Cribbins a fabulous narrator....

I believe we pick up the story where Santa is scratching his head with a furrowed brow and Mary Christmas is fussing around him and bringing him a winter warming brandy.... Dobbie and a number of his pals have reindeer flu and Robbie is shaking his tail feathers flying around ... trying to think of a solution. Fortunately for everyone his beady little eyes spot two super boys in Yorkshire who are incredibly helpful and supportive and would be happy to perform Christmassy reindeer duties! Pheweee ... step away from the brandy Mr Claus - Jem and Super Arch are ready to report for duty!! grin

shoebedo434 Tue 24-Nov-15 17:35:27

Dobbie is feeling sad as his mummy isn't well. Robbie the Robin, Fluffi the Penguin and Freddie the Fox all come to see him to cheer him up, they try singing, they try dancing and they even try pulling funny faces but nothing works, Dobbie is still sad. so Fluffi, Freddie and Robbie all put their arms around him and give him a big hug. They hug and hug until Dobbie feels better. Friends with hugs are the best

zarinebedford Wed 25-Nov-15 13:09:30

Dobbie goes shopping to his favourite shop Dobbies to buy Xmas gifts for all his friends santa Or he hits the Xmas sale santa to continue the spirit of Xmas & sharing & giving but also grab a bargain for himself grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now