Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

How do you put a twist to your midweek favourite recipes? Share your top twists with Sainsbury's and you could win a £300 voucher NOW CLOSED

(259 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Sep-15 11:33:06

We've been asked by the team at Sainsbury's to find out how Mumsnetters put a twist on their favourite midweek recipes.

Sainsbury's say "As a nation we cook over 5 billion midweek meals a year - and Sainsbury's is passionate about offering great quality, everyday food to inspire households that are cooking the meals that matter to Britain. The store cupboard is a goldmine of interesting twists in waiting. With more ingredients available than ever before, now is the time to reclaim the store cupboard and start experimenting!"

So, how do you put a twist on your favourite recipe? Maybe you add balsamic vinegar to a pasta bake? Or perhaps you add some chilli to a shepherds pie? Maybe you've even added peanut butter to a stir fry?

Whatever your top twists are for your weeknight meals, Sainsbury's would love to hear about them. Take a look at the Sainsbury's Homemade website for inspiration and to see what twists they've suggested.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £300 Sainsbury's voucher to spend in store or online at sainsburys.co.uk.

Please note your comments may be included on Sainsbury's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Please read the terms and conditions here

justaweeone Mon 14-Sep-15 17:37:48

Funnily enough I do add peanut butter to a stir fry !!
Super quick and easy
Lean pork mince
Minced garlic
Bag of stir fry veg
Peanut butter
Soy
Chilli sauce
Spmarigold stock
Straight to work noodles
Brown mince with garlic
Add soy, stock and peanut butter
Bung in veg, cook for a few minutes
Add noodles and a bit of stock
Serve with a few peanuts, coriander and a wedge if lime.

justaweeone Mon 14-Sep-15 17:40:34

Another quick one
Brown lamb mince and onions plus some garlic
Add some curry paste , tinned tomatoes
Cook out
The add spinach or frozen peas and a tin of new potatoes
Pop into a dish the top with grated cheese and flash under the grill.

Ellisisland Mon 14-Sep-15 17:47:49

I add cream cheese to mashed potatoes to make them extra smooth

I add honey to stir frys to make it sweet

And add chocolate to stews and chillis to make them richer. Yummy!

Cookiecake Mon 14-Sep-15 17:52:34

I sometimes add mustard to mash potato and then have this with sausages or gammon.

I also make lasagne sometimes with tuna - either tuna and spinach or tuna and sweet corn. I add onion and garlic to the tuna and veg then put some pasata or chopped tomato in. I then make the sauce in the usual way but using the tuna juices as well. I finish this off with tomato on top and sprinkled cheese obviously!

OooooohMissDiane Mon 14-Sep-15 17:55:20

We usually have bread from the breadmaker with our dinners, I always use honey instead of sugar and sometime butter instead of oil.my boys' favourite thing to eat in the world.

getinthesea Mon 14-Sep-15 17:57:27

Why, why are they asking us to put instant coffee in our bolognese? I nearly crashed the car when I saw the poster for this at our local Sainsburys. In what way could this ever be a good idea?!?

CopperPan Mon 14-Sep-15 17:58:49

Peanut butter works in a lot of dishes - we add it to spare rib marinade and also to brownie mix.

Macaroni cheese is great with cauliflower or butternut squash added.

I add a bit of whisky to bread and butter pudding for a kick, and use marmalade or jam.

BeeMyBaby Mon 14-Sep-15 18:00:16

If we are having soup I tend to have made bread at the weekend for it which always includes chopped olives for extra flavour.

LauraChant Mon 14-Sep-15 18:02:43

getinthesea I too came here to say whatever I add, it's never going to be instant coffee to bolognese!

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 14-Sep-15 18:09:03

I get the one of the teens to do the cooking while I Mumsnet catch up on the admin.

"Hurry up with that Mexican DD".

Wisteria1979 Mon 14-Sep-15 18:10:38

Mustard, capers, dill, chives and gherkins mixed into your tuna-mayo thing (and make it with creme fraiche rather than mayo...) bit of cheese on top and a quick and reasonably healthy filling for a jacket potato or sandwich.

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 14-Sep-15 18:10:42

I love adding Worcestershire sauce to meatloaf, and almost all beef dishes.

Wolfcub Mon 14-Sep-15 18:44:30

I make my macaroni cheese with chicken stock instead of milk in the white sauce and add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.

I make cauliflower cheese with half fat creme fraiche instead of white sauce, also with a tiny bit of mustard.

ouryve Mon 14-Sep-15 18:44:44

With 2 kids with ASD and food issues we don't dare put no twists on nothing in this house, though I have been known to experiment with different shaped oven chips for DS2 grin

ShatnersBassoon Mon 14-Sep-15 18:50:39

I add Henderson's Relish to loads of things. It has a brilliant savoury, tangy flavour, nicer than Worcestershire sauce.

CMOTDibbler Mon 14-Sep-15 18:55:29

Ketchup in bolognese makes it extra tasty

twirlypoo Mon 14-Sep-15 18:57:16

Mines super simple...

I get a chicken kiev, slice it in half horizontally and insert a peice of ham, some tomato paste and a couple of halved baby tomatoes. I serve with veggies and rice. It's super yummy!

ivykaty44 Mon 14-Sep-15 18:58:45

Branston pickle added to beans on toast

Onykahonie Mon 14-Sep-15 19:16:47

I add a handful of red lentils to my (veggie) spag bol, soup, chillis etc, to thicken the sauce and add some extra protein.

Thegentlemonkey Mon 14-Sep-15 19:21:52

We add lemon juice & chilli flakes to our go to 10 minute mid week meal - pasta & pesto - it gives it some freshness & extra interest.

lavent Mon 14-Sep-15 19:26:31

I don't spent enough time in the kitchen but here are mine:
Chicken, mushroom & spinach lasagne
Peanut butter brownies (yum!)
Soy sauce in savoury mince dishes

Maiyakat Mon 14-Sep-15 19:58:23

Chocolate in chilli-con-carne.

putthePuffindown Mon 14-Sep-15 19:58:31

Wholegrain mustard in sweet potato mash is delicious smile

hesterton Mon 14-Sep-15 20:11:17

A spoonful of mustard powder in the grated cheese when we have cauliflower cheese to give it a bit of bite.

Mashed banana under melted strong cheddar on toast is surprisingly nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now