Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Talk to LEGO® about everyday occasions worth rewarding your child for and you could win a £300 Love2Shop voucher *NOW CLOSED*

(147 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-May-15 14:45:59

The team at LEGO® would like to hear about everyday occasions which you feel are worth rewarding your DCs for.

Here’s what LEGO® say "Here at LEGO®, we’re interested to see what occasions you would consider rewarding or treating your kids with LEGO®? A great school report. Holiday treats. Good behaviour on a trip to the dentist. Helping in the garden. Tidying their room. Mum's little star. There is a great LEGO® gift idea starting from £2.49 that is fun, creative and made for every occasion. With so many sets to choose from, we think LEGO® is a fantastic gift for every occasion and we’d like you to tell us about it!"

So, what everyday occasions do you think are worth rewarding? Is it consistent good behaviour? Or maybe it’s doing their violin practice? Perhaps making the school football team deserves a hearty well done?

Whatever the occasions you feel are worth rewarding, LEGO® would love to hear about them!

Please share your thoughts on this thread. Every MNer who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Please note: LEGO® and the LEGO® logo are trademarks of the LEGO® Group.

©2015 The LEGO® Group.

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-May-15 17:45:21

My 2 boys get rewarded for schoolwork usually, but my ds2 got a special reward for his cross country race

They mainly get lego at birthday/xmas but they love it if I build them something whilst they are at school ( I love doing that!) as a surprise

gracie78 Fri 29-May-15 17:46:21

I often buy my oldest (4) a minifigure if I see them and he's been a particularly kind or helpful brother, or particularly well behaved.
If he's going through a period of pickiness with food he's been rewarded with small Lego sets for making less fuss at mealtimes.

JogOnKitty Fri 29-May-15 18:00:42

Recently I took dd and ds1 to a Lego shop to make their own mini figures. They really enjoy spending time picking the whole outfit and accessories. This was a reward after showing a lot of patience and kindness when playing with ds2,who has asd and can have very challenging behaviour.
Other times I may reward are for keeping bedrooms tidy and trying hard at school.

glenthebattleostrich Fri 29-May-15 18:13:43

Lego is usually a birthday or Christmas treat, though DD (5) does get a Lego magazine for good behaviour on king journeys to visit family and for moving up reading levels at school.

Newshoesplease Fri 29-May-15 18:17:15

Mine adore Lego mixels. They're usually a reward for making that extra effort with homework or spellings, for example.

Uzma01 Fri 29-May-15 18:20:14

Especially good behaviour, doing something unexpectedly helpful, would warrant a reward. Plus my DS had a reward chart for some schoolwork he was doing several months ago and was rewarded with a RC car. I signed him up for the Lego Magazine as I thought he'd like to get something in the post with him name on it - he loves looking through it.

thewomaninwhitefluffybunnyears Fri 29-May-15 20:07:28

I reward for particular occasions (e.g. doing great swimming or bike riding). Sounds odd but these are real battles that we have experienced with DD2. DD3 is for potty training, we have just mastered this I think. I do use a reward chart generally. I am about to go on a work trip so I will be rewarding for good behaviour whilst away (if the case). I am feeling guilty for going clearly even though they are with their Dad and will be fine!

foolserrand Fri 29-May-15 20:10:26

I'm lucky with my dcs, they are still at the ages where they want to be kind and helpful just for the sake of it. If I see something they would like, I tend to grab it and then use it to reward their next special act of kindness.

Also, rewards for anything they find particularly difficult or scary. Dd1's operation, for eg.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 29-May-15 20:35:15

Ds sometimes gets things like mixels as a small treat (like today for not complaining about being stuck in the house with his dad who has torn ligaments in his ankle so isn't up to doing much).

He also sometimes he money for a good school report etc and will choose to buy Lego with it.

His favourite game to play with Lego and me is the ladle game. Get a ladle, scoop a ladle full of Lego and you get a minute to make something. Whoever a is deemed best wins (usually ds)

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 29-May-15 20:53:53

I reward for the above and beyond stuff. I expect the children to help around the house, to be polite, to work hard at school etc. so am more likely to reward for getting Star of the Week, a fantastic report, or something that shows they are making an extra effort.

That said, I am also a treater, as I work long hours so the children put in long hours at school and wraparound care, so if we've had a bit of a slog I will get them a treat. Lego is great for this, much better than sweets!

Does everyone know about the free Lego magazine you can subscribe to? My 2 love it. It's on the official site.

Lego Club

clopper Fri 29-May-15 21:24:12

I reward for something a bit special/ extra rather than things that I expect them to do as a matter of course such as tidying their rooms. If they do extra without being asked such as helping with the garden or offering to wash the car, I usually provide a small treat.

Lariflete Fri 29-May-15 22:02:07

DD gets rewarded with a star for Good Behaviour / Listening to Mummy & Daddy / Tidying Up / Trying New Foods / Helping Her Brother and when she reaches 10 stars she gets a small prize. When she fills the whole chart she gets a bigger reward like a day out or a bigger present.
She's only 3 so everything is still a bit of a learning curve for her and us. But as she gets older, I would expect to reward her for things going above and beyond normal expectations.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 29-May-15 22:08:57

Good reports from school, good marks on spelling or homework

pegster Fri 29-May-15 22:10:35

The most recent Lego reward for my 3.6yo was for being brave for his vaccinations - a post appointment trip to the toy shop for a toy of his choice resulted in the Lego juniors Spider-Man set.

Newshoesplease Fri 29-May-15 22:15:03

Thanks for the heads up impossible just signed ds2 up!

Nellagain Fri 29-May-15 22:59:50

Christmas and birthday here too.
They love taking their birthday money and spending it in the lego shop though.
I have very occasionally promised a lego set as an incentive for trying really hard and persevering at school when they are struggling. Ds1 has dyslexia. It has given him something nice to think about.
I have found lego is useful to discuss saving for something big vs getting something smaller but able to afford now. They keep aiming to save for the death star but it's proving elusive!

queenbrunhilda Fri 29-May-15 23:00:06

Getting through the week (concluding with the supermarket shop) without major incident means a magazine or similarly priced small treat.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 29-May-15 23:35:49

I've just had a baby so LEGO has been the perfect little treat/thank you for helping fetch the umpteenth nappy grin and for playing quietly when I'm trying to settle the baby to sleep - actually it's generally LEGO they play with as it's a quiet toy and they get too engrossed building to bother boxing each other! wink

YellowTangerine Fri 29-May-15 23:38:49

I believe rewarding good manners works! My DD is very polite and when I do give her little treats I will give her praise for what she has done well. I certainly believe this has contributed to her being so polite.

ErinBlockerBitch Sat 30-May-15 07:23:34

For effort (trying hard on improving hand writing etc) and for passing a grading or similar.

He also quite frequently gets a small Lego for being patient and not whinging when he has had to accompany round appointments.

CaptainSubtext Sat 30-May-15 07:54:08

Mine will be getting a lego figure when they complete a workbook (we home ed).

Also considering doing a reward chart for things like brushing teeth.

They'll be starting to do grades soon for things like rock climbing/karate so I expect that would get a little reward too.

Maro11 Sat 30-May-15 08:10:30

My DD gets a logo figure every two weeks, I work every second weekend so on my weekend off I take her out, she looks forward to it and so do I.

Ratbagcatbag Sat 30-May-15 08:34:41

I will reward for going above and beyond normal expectations. So if dd does particularly well at learning something new, or when potty training I'd get her one of the small animal sets as she loves them. I'd tend to buy a bigger set as a Christmas or birthday present.

AuntieMaggie Sat 30-May-15 09:41:44

I believe it's important to reward for every day achievements as well as the more special ones - so good manners, good behaviour especially in a particular situation as well as learning a new skill, and school/sport achievements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now