Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

And squeeze - share your tips for remembering your pelvic floor exercises with lights by TENA - you could win a £150 voucher NOW CLOSED

(216 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Dec-14 16:54:59

We have been asked by the team at lights by TENA to find out your top tips for remembering to do pelvic floor exercises.

lights by TENA say "We all know, improving your pelvic floor tone reduces your chances of experiencing little leaks through strengthening those vital muscles - we'd love to know how MNers remember to find the time to do them. What's more we have developed a new app - available here to download!"

Please note, your anon comments may be used by lights by TENA on their website, social media and possibly elsewhere. Please only add a comment if you're happy for it to be used.

Add your comment to this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list)

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ
PS how many have you done since opening this thread? wink

Ohfourfoxache Tue 02-Dec-14 17:30:10

I try to do them at the same time every day so that it becomes routine. I used to take a bus twice a day so would spend each journey doing them.

I used to think I had quite a toned pelvic floor, but now at 6 months pregnant I'm not so sure blush

ShizeItsWeegie Tue 02-Dec-14 17:34:04

I have a watch that beeps every hour. I do a few whenever I hear the beep providing I am not in a meeting. Makes for an interesting visit to the supermarket checkout though wink
Joking apart, this has made a hell of a difference to my landing gear.

AdamantEve Tue 02-Dec-14 17:34:40

I require surgery due to problems after pregnancy/birth and need to do regular pelvic floor exercises as these will aid my recovery afterwards but I still find it so hard to remember.
The only method I have found to do them regularly is to use an app I've downloaded to my phone which sends me a reminder three times a day!

ReluctantCamper Tue 02-Dec-14 17:35:09

I do them while driving to work. I knew my muscles were getting strong when I could lift my pelvic floor while changing gear! Have done 10 while writing this!

ButterflyOfFreedom Tue 02-Dec-14 17:45:48

I do them whilst breastfeeding or whilst waiting at traffic lights!

I have 2 DC's aged 2 and 9 weeks and definitely have realised the importance of doing them!!

I've done another 10 whilst typing this! smile

MadameJosephine Tue 02-Dec-14 17:51:18

I'm a midwife so am reminded every day of the importance of pelvic floor exercises. Every time I see a head crown I do a few extra! I've also followed my own advice that i give to new mums and do them every breast feed and every nappy change at home, it helps to make them part of an everyday routine

teddygirlonce Tue 02-Dec-14 17:54:34

Afraid to confess that I've never done them blush although possibly beginning to regret it now...

Is it too late 8 years down the line from giving birth to youngest DC?

RoseberryTopping Tue 02-Dec-14 18:28:21

The NHS have an app you can download to remind you! I have mine set to 9am and 9pm.

Tigercake Tue 02-Dec-14 18:29:20

GUSSIEGRIPS!!!! Where are youuuuuuu?

SantasBassoon Tue 02-Dec-14 18:30:36

I only remember when I'm 'aving it orf, so high days and holidays only.

meglet Tue 02-Dec-14 18:59:08

-whenever I'm on MN and see someone mention pelvic floors.
- when Gussie appears on here on twitter.
- when I'm waiting at traffic lights.
- during pilates classes.

TBH I've been very good at them for 10+ yrs, long before I had dc's. It was worth it because I can still go on trampolines.

Redtartanshoes Tue 02-Dec-14 19:12:28

I do mine when on boring conference calls at work. It helps pass the time, improves my pelvic floor and I get paid for it. Win win grin

thewomaninwhite Tue 02-Dec-14 19:12:49

I need to adopt the traffic lights one, that is great. I am terrible at doing them but really need to address this. It's all heading in the wrong direction! Thanks for the tips.

I have to say that threads like these are the things that alert me to doing them. It's just keeping that going that is problematic.

Tzibeleh Tue 02-Dec-14 19:21:14

If you work at a pc, or have one where you frequently see it, set the screensaver to

PVE!

or

Kegels!

(Depending which country you are in, and how discreet you want to be.)

You could even set a reminder on your phone, with a distinctive sound, to go off several times a day.

Tzibeleh Tue 02-Dec-14 19:22:27

Alternatively, have a good bounce on the kids' trampoline every day!

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 02-Dec-14 19:28:46

I'm very good at remembering to do them for a few days, then forget completely until I'm desperate for the loo one day when in the middle of a nappy change (for example) - I remember then how useful they are and the cycle continues.

I like some of suggestions of PPs, so I'm going to put a note on the change table and go from there!

ouryve Tue 02-Dec-14 19:32:04

I have to do mine regularly, to help with pain in my lower back. I make a point of doing some whenever I sit down to mumsnet. Funnily, the Tena threads are jogging my memory, somewhat grin

Chalalala Tue 02-Dec-14 19:35:29

Whenever I brush my teeth! It's 3 minutes of boredom anyway... May as well maximise their utility grin

MoJangled Tue 02-Dec-14 19:39:39

While I clean my teeth. Electric toothbrush timer means I always do 2 sets of 3 mins every day. I have the attention of a gnat and find anything like that terribly boring so it loads the dull jobs into one timeslot!

Dolallytats Tue 02-Dec-14 19:39:50

Unfortunately I only remember to do them when I am about to sneeze or have a coughblush

Thank you for reminding me to put a note in my phone to go off twice a day!

pinkfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 19:56:28

I try to do 10 lifts plus 10 quick ones 3 x a day, starting at breakfast after showering etc, then lunchtime, then 6pm ish. Extra if I remember.
some days I forget altogether but have been making a big effort for about 2 months.

pinkfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 19:58:42

Doing them while standing up though requires quite a lot of tone. I can only do them that way now after weeks of practise lying down. You have to hold for 10 seconds on each lift- so for me anyway that needs concentration.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 02-Dec-14 20:02:43

I used to do them whilst breastfeeding, now on the hour. smile Have just done 6! grin

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 02-Dec-14 20:04:42

Whilst I'm here, could you do a Windows phone version of the app please? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now