Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

What's your favourite TV show on Netflix? - £250 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(747 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Nov-14 15:15:35

Netflix would like to know what your favourite Netflix TV show is and why.

With so many great series available to choose from on Netflix, fans often find it’s hard to pick a favourite. From hit US dramas like The Good Wife, to hilarious comedies such as Fresh Meat and Suits, and cult shows like Sons of Anarchy, they feel sure there's something for everyone to discover and enjoy.

Members also have exclusive access to Netflix’s original series, including the fourth and final season of the dark detective drama The Killing, as well as Lilyhammer, a fish-out-water tale about a New York mobster living in Norway.

So, what is your favourite TV Show to watch on Netflix? Do the endless twists and turns of Homeland keep you on the edge of your seat? Do you scare yourself silly with the supernatural thriller American Horror Story? Maybe you like to put your analytical skills to the test with quirky hospital drama House? Whatever it is, we’d love to hear about it - and why you keep going back for more!

Check out the Netflix hub on Mumsnet to find out what TV series are currently available and coming up on Netflix.

Everyone who leaves their comment on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

EauRouge Fri 07-Nov-14 16:52:36

I've started watching Buffy from the beginning. I miss the 90s, although I believe my clothes are back in fashion again now.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 07-Nov-14 16:54:13

Duh! Breaking Bad, obvs.

Its just brilliant. Fantastic production, great story, good acting... Just brilliant.

Fairylea Fri 07-Nov-14 16:58:33

Orange is the new black. Without a doubt. I love the fact it's so in your face and is full of strong women. Absolutely brilliant.

BrieAndChilli Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:17

I loved dexter and binge watched all the series
I tend to watch one show until it watched all the episodes and recently have watched orange is the new black, grimm, fringe, vampire diaries, The current fave with the kids is pokemon and Mia and me.

HearMyRoar Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:19

We are working through Homelands at the moment. It is awesome, just the right level of exciting and daft. grin

I'm also really liking the greater range of interesting films on now.

JuniperTisane Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:53

I don't have Netflix, nor am I likely to have the spare cash to in the near future, but I've seen House of Cards (Kevin Spacey version) on dvd and that's right up my street. I'm pretty sure that was a Netflix thingy so thats my vote smile

nippey Fri 07-Nov-14 17:30:46

Star Trek Next Generation...amazing to watch it from start to finish again!

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Fri 07-Nov-14 17:31:35

Breaking Bad without a doubt!

Caramelkate Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:39

American office. The first series is just a copy of the British one, but as it moves to its own story it really is fab.

Selinemaratima Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:43

Where to start.... We are Netflix junkies, we started with breaking bad and I still miss it now sad loved Orange is the new black, found House of Cards a bit cynical but loved Dexter! Am hoping to try Lost as I missed that 1st time around and Homelands!!!

nappiesandnaptimes Fri 07-Nov-14 17:34:51

We've just finished Prison Break (at bit behind the times!) but our ultimate favourite is Sherlock, we are eagerly awaiting Season 3!

marymouse Fri 07-Nov-14 17:35:02

I love watching suits, Luis lit is hilarious! I really like the relationship between mike and Harvey too. Just hoping season three is going to be on soon as I've nearly finished season two sad

Prophetsong Fri 07-Nov-14 17:48:06

House of Cards. It has a flawless cast including the awesome Kevin Spacey and the plot is totally compelling. Cannot wait for season 3!!

loudarts Fri 07-Nov-14 17:57:58

The vampire diaries. Love this show and netflix saved my sanity when up most of the night bf my ds

diamondimelda Fri 07-Nov-14 18:05:41

In a cheeky attempt to get my blog read i have added it, as it was a little suitable!

Can Netflix save your marriage?

This sadly is not a euphemism for a new sex toy or trend. I am in my late thirties, have two children, a husband and a job. My house fooled me with the illusion of being clean until the low winter sun came in and I am now being taunted by cobwebs and teased by a stain I thought was a pattern.

We have a garden, a beautiful garden. No one imparted to me the wisdom a garden takes work, lots of work. Kneeling & weeding, cutting, tying, raking. I own gardening tools. I did not know there were such things as gardening tools. Mainly due to the fact that I grew up in the west of Ireland and if a blade of grass, forced itself into existence among the rocks we fainted in shock. Like Victorian heroines we were, delicate. Not the welly wearing, bog tanned, Tayto eating fools of a John Hinde postcard.

My husband has a job, I don’t understand much of it. He lives in the fabled land of IT, where servers crash, back ups fail and you get a vicious look if you suggest “did you try to turn if off and back on again?” The eldest child, I have two as mentioned, it has nearly killed me. In this modern life they must do more than school and pick their nose, so she goes to gymnastics. The youngest daughter is traipsed along to this to view, but at three has not been shoved by her parents onto the treadmill of activities, yet.

The above is to illustrate that we have no time and are tired. In there I have neglected to add shopping, cooking (from scratch of course) & the fact if my husband has clean socks during the week it is a miracle. If there was a new sex toy or trend we would be the last to know.

The usual very waffly point I am trying to make is how do you spend time together. As this couple who are playing at being adults. You own (in conjunction with the bank) a house. Attempt to raise children, (salting money away for future therapy) and hold down a job (saving for a good lawyer when the tribunal comes). If you had some time together before you had children you live a long time on those memories. Unless you have family nearby it is hard to get out together once the children have left sticky handprints on your heart. Baby sitters cost a fortune. Once we calculated it would cost £105 to go to the cinema by bus and home by taxi (so we could have a drink of course!), pay the babysitter £8 an hour, cinema tickets and all the rest you might like on a simple trip to a see film.

Netflix. When you have got to the point where the children are asleep when you would like them to be asleep. This is what we do now. The Bridge first. Then House of Cards, excellent, at one point we stayed up until 4am doing the famous binge watching. Episode after episode. Sitting side by side on the couch, drinking too much wine. Discussing the characters, betting on what’s going to happen next and egging each other on to watch the next.

We have moved to the next bit of being together, which is being together constantly but not having time for each other. Netflix may be the modern equivalent of reading to each other. Modern life is good but even with the washing machine and fridge to help, existing takes time and money. This bit will end at some point and a new phase will start but it is a comfortable place, rubbing along together quietly, not the big nights out together. Lidl steak and Rioja. I think soon there will be a divorce case where they cite one partner watched a few episodes of the their Netflix series. without the other. Netflix cheat. Sad.

WowOoo Fri 07-Nov-14 18:07:54

The Killing. Even though I watched it on BBC4, I'm sure it's on Netflix now.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Fri 07-Nov-14 18:09:45

Warehouse 13 at the moment. Although I'm rather fond of going through the Doctor Who episodes as well. I'm a bit annoyed that we haven't seen Gilmore Girls on the UK Netflix yet. hmm

My children tend to watch Pokemon, various children's films, and Power Rangers. They used to watch a lot of Johnny Test and Fairly Odd Parents on there, but I haven't seen it lately - have they been taken off or just hiding somewhere?

Would really like to see Tuff Puppy on, as it's a particular favourite of the children on television. grin

Whitershadeofpale Fri 07-Nov-14 18:09:52

Breaking bad by a country mile.

I'm also a fan of orange is the new black and have enjoyed rewatching the thick of it recently.

Pipbin Fri 07-Nov-14 18:10:12

Has to be Parks and Recreation.

I love Ron Swanson. And it has such a strong female cast.

hellyd Fri 07-Nov-14 18:15:30

Fringe, cover affairs, the thick of it, house of cards, and of course breaking bad, there are so many more we have loved but those spring to mind but also please can we have red dwarf back pritty please..

Redcoats Fri 07-Nov-14 18:19:42

Breaking Bad

2 episodes left till we finish it. Feeling slightly bereft already

Kathderoet Fri 07-Nov-14 18:21:52

Love Fringe and American Horror story. I'm not always big on a American shows but love these two.

Fixerupperz Fri 07-Nov-14 18:26:12

Hands down Sons of Anarchy.... I've finished all on Netflix now and watching them as they air, amazing show. So well written and acted. This is the last ever series but I'm sure I will be going back to Netflix as it's one of these shows I know I will watch again from the beginning smile.

Lucy61 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:27:51

Orange is the new black, without a doubt! I hear there will be a new series on summer 2015. Breaking bad is awesome too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now