Advanced search

Help obtaining equipment

(4 Posts)
FrankiesKnuckle Mon 02-Apr-18 07:56:40

As title, I'll try to explain in the simplest way. Could be long.

I have a sibling who is almost 40 years old. They have been severely disabled since they were very small <1. Non walker, unable to weight bare, left hemiplegia and severe developmental delay (functions around 3-5yrs age)

Sibling lives out of the family home but stays for 3/4 days every 2/3 weeks. Funded by one county council to live in another - this has caused problems previously when they had a broken wheelchair, both councils refused to pay for a new one.

Finally, parents have identified that they may need help with moving and handling. They are in their 60s, father has cardiac problems and mother has back problems (scoliosis and disc degeneration from years of lifting said sibling)

They have shied away from asking for help for many years. Total head in sand scenario.

How would they go about getting a couple of things to help them? They really need some sort of bath seat or shower seat, but reluctant to have anything 'mechanical' in the home.
They have conceded that they will have to reconfigure the family home to accommodate a bed downstairs (they still try to lift upstairs at present 12+stone)

It's also a matter of cost too.

Would they go their GP, siblings GP?

Any help greatly appreciated.

allthatmalarkey Thu 01-Nov-18 14:46:21

Start with social services. Sorry to be brief, didn't want to read and run.

1986school Tue 16-Apr-19 08:07:11

Hi, my friend wants to visit me with her child with severe disability. Her wheel chair is suited where she is now( abroad) but wanted to check if she comes here can that chair be kept as a seat in a wheel chair access car or should I be asking the taxi company for a good posture car seat. Or what can I do to get her in my normal car and make her feel comfortable.

Also will she get any concessions?

Waiting for replies for planning ahead.

Many thanks in advance

WeirdoInAWheelchair Thu 12-Sep-19 02:09:20

Different section of social services but my gran needed various items in her home before the move to the group home.

So I think it's social services who I hear there's a wait for, who will come in and assess and so OT and then provide a variety of modifications and gadgets.

It may well mean modifications which they aren't happy with, but they have to look at the bigger picture and what the needs are for that person.

I can imagine it's hard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »