Talk

Advanced search

where to start? son just asked for a wheelchair from santa

(7 Posts)
deeedeee Thu 12-Nov-15 20:25:21

pretty heartbreaking

Obviously I told him his mummy would get him one.

So where do i start?

He's 6.5, he has dyspraxia and hyptonia. He can walk, but falls and bumps into stuff constantly, and tires very easily.

BackforGood Fri 13-Nov-15 01:01:31

Could Whizz Kids help ?

Toffeelatteplease Fri 13-Nov-15 01:20:05

Get physio to refer you to wheelchair services.

Assuming you are getting physio, otherwise get your consultant (if you are still under one) or GP to refer you to wheelchair services and physio.

You need to be seeing both, don't let them fob you off

flowers good luck

Boomingmarvellous Sat 19-Dec-15 22:55:10

Yes, start with wheelchair services. Physio should refer.
Charities will help fund a chair if it goes beyond the WCS budget or they won't give you one.
The most fab wheelchair in the world is the veldink range, so I would check them out.

FHSmum Wed 09-Nov-16 07:18:34

If you are really struggling waiting for the wheelchair services to sort you out you can hire children's wheelchairs from the mobility shop. Before my daughter got hers I used to hire one it was about £12 a week and well worth it if we were going for a day out.

Pepper123123 Sat 16-Jun-18 12:27:17

Ive used a wheelchair since I was 6.

Apart from once I've always gone through the NHS.
If your son needs a wheelchair for most of the time or all of the time he will be entitled to one on the NHS.

If you go through that route make sure you know you don't have to have a bog standard one. If your son likes to push himself he would be better off with a lightweight sports style wheelchair.
There are many, many types available so make sure you tell your OT exactly what you want.

spinabifidamom Sat 08-Sep-18 14:24:09

Start with NHS wheelchair services.

When we were looking at wheelchairs for our son I approached his therapist first with my questions. Alternatively you can get a wheelchair from charities and organisations. Describe your needs and preferences clearly as possible.

My son’s physical therapist then referred me to them a year ago. My advice is to try out a few different ones so you can compare. It’s a bit like purchasing a mobility scooter or a Motability car.

Be proactive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »