Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a buggy suitable for older children to help their child with hypermobility and/or autism?

(3 Posts)
adelinehillman Thu 14-May-15 15:43:08

Hi All

My ds has numerous ailments, he's autistic, has twisted tibulars and hypermobility (to name a few). We haven't used a buggy since he was 4 (he's 7 now), but his knees are weakening. He walks to school - it's a 10 minute walk but takes him 20-25 mins. I obviously want to encourage him to walk to maintain his indepence but any journey we do is short and I feel both he and the rest of the family are missing out on advertures round the park etc because we can only go out for a limited time/distance. We have a blue badge which helps a little when in towns and he is registered disabeled due to his autism.

I am not sure if I would be doing more damage by introducing a buggy. Although when I have been out with my sister who has a 3 year old and my ds has become tired he's always been happy to hop into the buggy and be pushed around!

I will speak to the GP and OT about this, but wondered what other Mums have done...

Thanks.

sequeena Fri 25-Sep-15 15:03:49

Hi My 4 year old has hypermobility and other issues including global delay. Wheelchqir services gave us a Wheelchair because He gets tired very easily and for his own safety.

ILoveTFIFriday Fri 06-Nov-15 21:07:59

Yes we do for our children with Hypermobility. We don't use it for the school run but we wouldn't manage on days out without it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »