Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

would you be ok with this? or not?

(11 Posts)
pickyvic Wed 29-Jul-09 18:47:04

DS is 17, has a dx of aspergers, dyslexia and dyspraxia.

he is a whizz with computers and plans to go to uni after doing his A levels to study computers sciences.

he has been desperate for a job for a while but had done some daft things like send a CV complete with spelling errors and no covering letter etc to local companies.

however - he has just informed me today that he has secured a 2 month contract (which will pay him around £800) for a local computer firm to programme something and then to be the support for that programme for a lesser fee.
now ive researched and the local firm is kosher - in fact my husband knows the DD of the director and the company is all above board, but he did this totally behind our backs, he has met the guy, had an interview, even got a contract etc without running it past us at all. i know what i sound like here i really do but my son also has the DX for a reason and is terribly naive.
my son is indeed a whizz with all things computing and is a totally self taught programmer but this has me worried - he says he has told this contractor that this would be his first commercial programming job etc so has been totally honest with him, and he has been programming as a hobby for a while - but im scared to death that if he has bitten off more than he can chew he wont understand the consequences. he never does understand consequences, the last thing he programmed was a thing to top up the mobile without having to actually touch it - and it drained my bank over the course of 3 months!
am i over reacting? should i just roll with this and see?

pickyvic Wed 29-Jul-09 20:44:10

almighty bump

why does the SN teen bit get no replies! i cant post this anywhere else or i'll look like an overprotective mother who cant let go of the apron strings!

pickyvic Wed 29-Jul-09 22:52:45

pathetically hopeful bump....

losing all hope bump...

losing my mind bump...

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 22:58:08

sorry probally going to say the wrong thing as I don't know much
but I think I would let him give it a go, but keep an eye on things

coppertop Wed 29-Jul-09 23:01:05

Does your ds have anything in writing about what he would be expected to do and what the penalties would be if anything were to go wrong?

If it's all in writing and above board then I would let him go through with it.

Would he be working from home or would he have to go into their office to do the job? If the latter then would there be time for you and dh to go through the 'rules' of working in an office etc?

It sounds as though this could be a terrific experience for him. Even if it doesn't work out in the end I still think your ds is fantastic for being able to set it all up.

piscesmoon Wed 29-Jul-09 23:06:38

It sounds a terrific opportunity. If he was interviewed, they ought to have formed impressions of him. I'm not sure how legally binding a contract is, if he isn't 18 yet.
I would keep a close eye on it all.

pickyvic Wed 29-Jul-09 23:15:30

the job will be to do at home and the director is buying him a purpose built laptop. he will also get a £100 bonus for a job done well. ( so for 2 months work he can earn £900 plus a lappy he gets to keep)

he has sat and talked it through tonight. basically the programme is already written in PHP which he understands, he just has to modify it to this blokes spec. he blinds me with science and i have no doubt for one moment that he understands programming - he has even told the guy that it wont work in PHP version 6...whatever the hell that means - he has already run it to test it! so it will be obsolete in a couple of years....the bloke didnt realise this.

my ds - he is clever. this could be fantastic IF it all works for him - the guy in question has told him he will help him make the move from hobby to paid work etc and help him every step of the way - its to both their advantage i guess. IF ds can deliver! thats all that worries me. some of it he will have to learn as he goes. but he is so confident that im starting to believe he could do this...
am i nuts? or could this be his break into programming? or if it goes wrong his bloody worst nightmare! thats what worries me.
but he has done it now so im keeping everthing crossed.
he is meeting the guy tomorrow at one of his workshops to pick up the laptop - fingers so so crossed. he has said he will give him refs and testimonials etc for the future and will help him and keep him working if he is good. im just praying he can do this. i want to believe in him i really do, im, just so scared that he is taking on a contract that he cannot fulfil. but i guess time will tell on this one. computers are his thing. i just wish i could stop worrying.

piscesmoon Wed 29-Jul-09 23:41:33

I would say that you just go with it. I don't think that any of it is legally binding if he isn't yet 18yrs. I feel sure that a proper contract should have had to have had a parent's signature -as you haven't signed anything I think the company is prepared to take the risk. Hopefully someone will come along with real knowledge on the subject.

pickyvic Wed 29-Jul-09 23:50:58

thanks piscesmoon. think he has sort of taken the decision out of my hands for the time being so im just hoping this works out for him.

ive asked him to bring the contract home for us to see.

ill keep you posted. ta so far x

Davros Tue 11-Aug-09 16:33:05

I think a bit of insight and support could work wonders in this situation BUT I'm not sure how you could implement this without really interfering. Have you looked at the NAS website, they have all those info sheets, maybe there is one about work with some "top tips". They have an employment service (it used to be called Prospects, not sure now), maybe it would be worth contacting someone there for a bit of advice.

I saw an old school friend yesterday who has a brother with AS. Her mum was visiting and she was telling me that she emails him regularly (he doesn't live in the UK but teaches English abroad). She said that she has stopped asking him questions in her emails as an experiment and now she regularly gets a phone call a few days after she's emailed. She's worked out that, if she asks questions, he feels pressured even though it might be what we would consider totally routine, and he then avoids contact. I know I'd droning but maybe you could apply some of these principles? Talk about work or situations without telling him what to do or asking too many questions.

pickyvic Tue 11-Aug-09 23:12:13

ta for the reply davros...

so far its all going swimmingly well so im trying to step back a litte anyway and let him get on with it (which he is doing quite nicely without me!)
i think i underestimate him actually. he has taken this opportunity and is flying with it. he is getting paid, to do something he loves to do and he is working when he wants to work, he has spent the day with his boss today and they seem to have hit if off rather well!
he has already been paid so its so far so good.im just gonna roll with it and see what happens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now